PDA

View Full Version : which tent and why

Megapixel
12-20-2009, 18:35
Looking to start our SOBO Thru late late June, early July, and I have two tent options... Double Rainbow by tarptent and MSR missing Link. I am totally unsure as to which, if either I should use to begin my thru hike. Please help me with your thoughts, which one would you use, would you switch from one to another at some point in your hike, or would you sell both and use an entirely different tent??? thanks for the help...

links to the tents:

http://tarptent.com/productsheets/DBLRAINBOW.pdf

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/MSR-Missing-Link-Tent-2-Person-3-Season/CAS0254M.html

Graywolf
12-20-2009, 20:14
Personally, looking at the picture, it looks as if it sags..I havnt seen it at the stores so I can't say..

henry Shires makes some really great tents and stands behind what he sells..I would go with the rainbow..If you want something a little more durable, to me anyway, I would go with the Contrail or the Squall.Both are lighter and VERY strong.. I have used the Squall up to 13000 ft, and have had no problems what so ever.. I know of hikers who use the Contrail in winter with no problems..That would be my choice...

Graywolf

Red Beard
12-20-2009, 20:57
I'm a recent convert to the church of tarptent. I'd go with the Double Rainbow.

skinewmexico
12-20-2009, 22:43
My Missing Link was really hard to set up taut, and didn't vent well. And it's not designed or built nearly as well as my Double Rainbow. And you get get the liner for the DR to keep any drips off. I don't own the Missing Link any more. But if you're not needing a 2 man tent, I would check out the Tarptent Moment. I think it's the pinnacle of Tarptent design. At least for another year maybe. And no one does customer service like Henry Shires.

Blissful
12-20-2009, 23:40
I preferred my freestanding MSR hubba personally in New England with all the tent platforms,etc. And the bugs. I think Henry though has some new styles.

skinewmexico
12-21-2009, 02:24
The Moment freestands.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-21-2009, 07:49
On a tangent - check out Six Moon Design's "Luna Solo". It's only 23 oz. but a fully enclosed tent (the version with the lighter weight floor). It's stakes out from an A frame created by your trekking pole. (My current favorite)

Marta
12-21-2009, 07:55
I used a Tarptent Virga I for my SOBO. The Contrail is similar in design, but improved. The Rainbows are lovely, but heavier because of the long pole.

On my SOBO I think I only had to deal with a tent platform once, so I wouldn't worry too much about that issue. Also ask yourself, how much tent time am I really going to have? Am I going to spend most of my awake time walking? Or most of my awake time lounging around in my tent?

I'd go for lighter over more comfortable.

white_russian
12-21-2009, 08:00
I preferred my freestanding MSR hubba personally in New England with all the tent platforms,etc. And the bugs. I think Henry though has some new styles.
If you do the Leki pole thing with the Double Rainbow it makes it just as freestanding as he Hubba. You still have to stake out the vestibules on both though.

bigcranky
12-21-2009, 10:03
We have a Double Rainbow. We found that it was a little tight for two people, and purchased an SMD Lunar Duo. I kept the Double Rainbow as a terrific cold weather solo tent. The Lunar Duo has an incredible amount of interior space.

Megapixel
12-21-2009, 18:12
We have a Double Rainbow. We found that it was a little tight for two people, and purchased an SMD Lunar Duo. I kept the Double Rainbow as a terrific cold weather solo tent. The Lunar Duo has an incredible amount of interior space.

That's how we feel as a couple with the size of the DR. So you believe the Lunar Duo provides a noticeable difference in space?

garlic08
12-21-2009, 18:37
I used a MSR tarp once similar to that one. At the time, years ago, I didn't trust the durability of silnylon. Now after many seasons and three different Tarptents, I highly recommend the Tarptent over the MSR. My current favorite is the Contrail--simple, light, functional, comfortable, economical.

bigcranky
12-21-2009, 19:00
That's how we feel as a couple with the size of the DR. So you believe the Lunar Duo provides a noticeable difference in space?

OMG Yes! The long side walls are vertical, which means we don't bang our heads when we both sit up. We can invite our daughter inside and all sit and eat breakfast on a rainy morning. There is a ton of room for gear, hikers, etc., inside, and a big vestibule on each side as well. The foot print might be similar to the DR, but the interior volume is significantly and noticeably larger.

The SMD web site says the Lunar Duo has "enough room for four people to play cards." I thought they were exaggerating - they are right on the money.

Megapixel
12-21-2009, 19:05
OMG Yes! The long side walls are vertical, which means we don't bang our heads when we both sit up. We can invite our daughter inside and all sit and eat breakfast on a rainy morning. There is a ton of room for gear, hikers, etc., inside, and a big vestibule on each side as well. The foot print might be similar to the DR, but the interior volume is significantly and noticeably larger.

The SMD web site says the Lunar Duo has "enough room for four people to play cards." I thought they were exaggerating - they are right on the money.

thanks Bigcranky! Now i need to find a buyer for my DR and hopefully my Missing Link. I think this is the tent we want to go with !:D

takethisbread
12-21-2009, 19:47
I use Golite Xanadu which weighs 2lb 14oz.

I don't know any other tent, it's all I've used. I've seen people use
Tarps and I can't see sacrificing all my ease and comfort for one pound when you up all the ropes and straps with those things. If I could find the same comfort for less weight I would be interested.

Toponomad; you are starting your Sobo in very late June, which means you are going to encounter very cold nights in the Smokies and South. I would consider this.

Megapixel
12-21-2009, 19:54
I use Golite Xanadu which weighs 2lb 14oz.

I don't know any other tent, it's all I've used. I've seen people use
Tarps and I can't see sacrificing all my ease and comfort for one pound when you up all the ropes and straps with those things. If I could find the same comfort for less weight I would be interested.

Toponomad; you are starting your Sobo in very late June, which means you are going to encounter very cold nights in the Smokies and South. I would consider this.

How cold is cold? this will help me better decide on a second sleeping bag as well.

Egads
12-21-2009, 19:58
My choices for sleeping and reasons are:

A Hennessy Hammock w/ McCat Standard tarp for comfort

A Big Agnes SL-3 to use with the wife

A Black Diamond one shot for a freestanding light weight tent

A Mountain Laurel Designs Serenity Shelter to keep the bugs out

A Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol Shelter to keep the Serenity dry or for use w/o the Serenity during non-buggy months

A Hilleberg Soulo for the anticipated snow storm in the Smokies that lines up with a weekend or holiday

A piece of Tyvek or a Gossamer Gear ground sheet for sleeping under the stars

Egads
12-21-2009, 19:59
How cold is cold? this will help me better decide on a second sleeping bag as well.

It was 7* with 30 mph gusts at Blood this past weekend.

takethisbread
12-21-2009, 20:29

I would say many below freezing nights, probably in the twenties, and maybe a few nights in the teens. A couple brushes with snow seems likely.

Nothing to be alarmed about, I love that hike plan, you catch all types of season, and you get a short time in Cold temps. Not to mention you get the hardest part of the hike done first, and you can cruise through the Southern Appalachians.

A Zero or 20 degree bag I would consider for sure.

I use a zero, cause I like being hot when I sleep.

Megapixel
12-21-2009, 20:34
I would say many below freezing nights, probably in the twenties, and maybe a few nights in the teens. A couple brushes with snow seems likely.

Nothing to be alarmed about, I love that hike plan, you catch all types of season, and you get a short time in Cold temps. Not to mention you get the hardest part of the hike done first, and you can cruise through the Southern Appalachians.

A Zero or 20 degree bag I would consider for sure.

I use a zero, cause I like being hot when I sleep.

thanks for the vital data. great username also. take care.

Tinker
12-21-2009, 22:39
How about a double Lightheart tent?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867&page=3&highlight=lightheart+gear+tent (scroll down)
It's a true double walled tent which will keep you from touching any condensation on the roof. I tested the one person version and was very impressed (even though I prefer a hammock).
Not freestanding, but in the White Mountains there are screw eyes on most of the platforms to tie your non-freestanding tents to, and usually a good number of small trees and bushes for the same purpose.
When you get to the Smokies you'll probably want a tent with less mesh to stop those no-longer-refreshing (ie: bone-chilling) breezes.

jwalden
12-22-2009, 02:12
If you end up getting drawn into staying in shelters, a full tent may be superfluous. I did very well with a bivy sack from Palmerton south, and if I'd known beforehand I'd have skipped carrying a tent before then and carried it the entire way. Bivy also worked well as a much lighter-weight sleeping bag than the 30deg I actually used for the first two months of summer hiking (egads, so hot!). Another bonus: you can actually use it in a shelter at night if bugs are particularly bad (or as an extra shell in cold) without taking space from others or looking ridiculous doing it. However, I don't know how well this strategy works if you're in the middle of the southbound pack; I started early, eventually was hiking fast, and ended early, and I only had shelter contention for the first couple months.

I faked setting up my not-freestanding tent on tent platforms at least twice. It can be done if you must, and there really weren't many "musts". Freestanding versus not is probably more a cost concern than a suitability concern, because you can get by with either.