PDA

View Full Version : Golite Pinnacle and Quest

drifters quest
12-20-2009, 21:11
I tried on the Golite Quest small womens pack at REI today and I really liked the fit. The pinnacle is really the one i'm intested in though, the Quest is a bit too big room wise. If I ordered the small pinaccle would it fit the same as the small quest or are they designed different?

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 21:46
How much weight are you going to put in a pinnacle? Is this for a thruhike??

drifters quest
12-20-2009, 22:22
Yeah, this is for a thruhike. I don't have an exact weight yet, i'm guessing the base weight w/out food and water will at max be 20s If I got this pack the weight of my main 4 items will be around 9.5lbs. I noticed a good sale so I was thinking of ordering it http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/GOLPCW.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=GOLPCW

drifters quest
12-20-2009, 22:27
I just saw that there is no internal frame on this pack? Nevermind! Is there a smaller pack than the Quest with an internal frame?

skinewmexico
12-20-2009, 22:28
Doesn't Golite make a smaller framed pack than the Quest? Anyway, I like my Pinnacle, but being frameless, it goes from great to terrible really quickly when it's overloaded. My ULA packs tolerate the occasional overload well, but the Pinnacle, not so much. Sunnyside has a good return policy, so I'd try it. You can also cut a piece of Coroplast to fit in the pad pocket of the Pinnacle to help load transfer.

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 22:30
Yeah, this is for a thruhike. I don't have an exact weight yet, i'm guessing the base weight w/out food and water will at max be 20s If I got this pack the weight of my main 4 items will be around 9.5lbs. I noticed a good sale so I was thinking of ordering it http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/GOLPCW.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=GOLPCW

Ok so here is the lowdown on a pinnacle for a thru. It doesnt have a frame. Its going to take a beating. Replaced mine 2 times. The fabric really breaks down after a couple of months. Its a great pack, just know that its not going to be much help after about 30 pounds. On those days that you have to hold alot of water and pack out a bunch of food, its going to take its toll on your body. The waist belt is very thin as well so be prepared to break in your hips big time! It holds alot but you really should get your weight down in the 20's with everything if you want to carry the pinnacle. You gotta pack it right too or it feels heavy. I would carry a long sewing needle and some floss to stitch up some of the holes that may develop on the bottom too.

skinewmexico
12-20-2009, 22:33
Golite Pursuit. Pretty heavy for such a small pack though. Have you looked at other packs, like a ULA Ohm, or Gossamer Gear Miniposa, or something from Granite Gear?

drifters quest
12-21-2009, 03:37
Thanks! I like the look of the miniposa but i'm afraid of overloading it- the miniposa reccomends loads up to 20lbs on their website. I don't know much about ULA but they same to have great response here on WB.. what kind of load are they made for? I do really liked the looks of the granite gear vapor ki though! Right size, right weight, and looks comfortable. I'm hoping with food and water pack weight will be under 30

Chaco Taco
12-21-2009, 10:27
Thanks! I like the look of the miniposa but i'm afraid of overloading it- the miniposa reccomends loads up to 20lbs on their website. I don't know much about ULA but they same to have great response here on WB.. what kind of load are they made for? I do really liked the looks of the granite gear vapor ki though! Right size, right weight, and looks comfortable. I'm hoping with food and water pack weight will be under 30

ULA can hold up to 30 pounds comfortably. Look into the Circuit or Conduit. Id really try and stay away from the pinnacle, just not made for a thruhike

Now the Granite Gear packs are awesome. They have an adjustable frame. Go get fitted for one

skinewmexico
12-21-2009, 13:25
Conduit is frameless too. The GG Gorilla is the tougher version of the Miniposa, but they are both tiny compared to the Pinnacle.

drifters quest
12-21-2009, 14:16
I'm headed to REI in a little bit, saw the vapor ki on their website so hopefully they'll have it in their seattle store.I'll let you guys know what I decide, thanks for the suggestions!

drifters quest
12-21-2009, 21:19
I went to REI today and ended up coming home with a Vapor Ki :D For a "frameless" pack it was so comfortable! 25lb loaad is great but I imagine it wouldn't very be comfortable carrying over 30lbs. I also got me a BA insulated inflatable pad, that means all my real expensive stuff is bought :banana

SwingLow
01-13-2011, 16:43
I also bought a Vapor Ki, but I am returning it. I hate how it has a long top to reach down, it makes it hard to maneuverer gear. I also don't like that there are only a few, small pockets and no lid.

jeremesh
01-13-2011, 16:51
If you decide on the quest, I have for sale that is practically new. My son wore it on two dayhikes and that's it. Make me an offer.

RGB
01-13-2011, 16:59
The Pinnacle is amazing. Just know that when you buy it, you're signing up to be an ultralight hiker.