PDA

View Full Version : Merino wool

10-K
12-21-2009, 09:54
I've got all kinds of hiking clothes but for this last hike I went on I bought a merino wool long sleeve pullover shirt - not much thicker than a t-shirt.

I'm hooked - the warmth/weight factor is amazing. Even better, I wore it for 7 days straight and it didn't stink. I wore a capilene (sp) shirt on a hiking trip once and you can't wash the smell out of it to this day.

Just wanted to throw this out there... I've read a lot of threads about wool over the past few years but always dismissed it in favor of synthetics and down but wool, at least merino wool, is good stuff.

Tinker
12-21-2009, 10:12
You're right about the stink fighting aspect of wool, and Merino is much softer than the old scratchy stuff I tried to use in the 1970s when polyester wasn't used and polypropylene proved to be a stink bomb.
Wool doesn't dry as fast as polyester and stretches more when it's wet.
The premium warm when wet fabric is still polypropylene but the stink factor and the fact that it melts in a hot clothes dryer has taken it out of my wardrobe.

Charlie D
12-21-2009, 10:20
10K,, mind providing a link?

10-K
12-21-2009, 11:27
This is it: http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Backcountry-Merino-Crew-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-Mens/BCC0181M.html

I'm going to pick up a couple more while they're on sale.

JAK
12-21-2009, 11:43
I find merino isn't the best for cold/wet weather, but it is the best for thin layers. That said, I have one merino sweater that holds up really well to the wet stuff. So thin layers or thicker sweaters, merino or cotswold, some wool layers work well wet or dry, and other wool layers don't do so well in the wet, but can be awesome in cold dry stuff. I think most times on long hikes its best to go with wool that will hold up well when wet. Tends to be more durable also. I have a really light fluffy alpaca sweater I like in winter for an outer layer, but on long trips I go with stuff that is more durable, usually a mix of wool layers, polyester layers, and light shells. The wool I tend to use for the layers I can keep on, and polyester fleece for the layers that come on and off.

Kerosene
12-21-2009, 11:51
I tried out my lightweight SmartWool long-sleeve zip-mock on my last hike, with temps in the 40s on a drippy day. I ended up with a heavy, soaking wet, and wool-smelling shirt the next morning, as opposed to the damp, smelly poly shirt that I typically pull on. I wasn't sold on the results of my experiment. I can see where it would be preferred in drier, sub-freezing climes, but I'll stick to my DuoFold and Terramar for my hiking top.

JAK
12-21-2009, 11:55
I think "felting" is highly over-rated. I'm seeing more felted mitts and stuff at craft shows. As I see it, the whole idea is to buy wool and wool sweaters and wool layers that will not felt easily. To get this, you want good strong wool, thick or thin, that haven't been mistreated through the manufacturing processes, and less important but still important you want some lanolin left in it, and kept in it, to keep it strong and durable. Some fluffier wools are ok and even better for really cold dry stuff, and if its good quality it should still handle some wet stuff a few times, but it will eventually break down. I will often by cheap merino sweaters for $20. They make good skin layers, and you can get a few seasons out of them, and they are thin enough that even if they do get wet and felt a little you can still wear them dry again. I think its the medium sweaters and heavy sweaters that have to be the better quality. For the really thin layers it might be worth paying a little more for durability, but its not so critical. It's just underwear.

Hokie
12-21-2009, 12:09
Sierra Trading has a similar price but for a nicer zip up mock. I ordered one recently and found it very comparable to more expensive Smartwool or Ibex.

[URL="http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,14304_Woolskins-by-Terramar-Long-Underwear-Top-Mock-Turtleneck-Long-Sleeve-For-Men.html"]

Brand is Terramar Woolskins.

JAK
12-21-2009, 12:31
Similary I think the heavy wool pants you can buy in hunting stores are not worth the money or the weight. They tend to be made from recycled wool, and are made to be too heavy without any real loft to them. I thing a better route to go is to keep the wool layers loosely knit, so they are as thick as they can be for their given weight. Also I think they dry faster if the wind can blow through them, so you want to dry them while wearing them without shell layers, like when you are most active. When you stop, or when its particularly nasty, all you need to add is a very light shell layer over them, which goes on and off very quickly and pack well.

For this reason I go with a medium or thick wool sweater as my main layer up top,
but 200wt fleece pants as my main layer on my legs. I've tried looser knit wool hiking pants, by converting them from loose tweed dress pants, and I think they might do, and are quit comfortable to hike in. Still I think I would shorted the leg to just below the knee, and use long socks to make up the difference, and some sort of shell to keep the wind out when needed.

Some northern winter purists actually go with light canvas shells for over their wind layers, arguing that even light breathable nylon shells trap too much moisture in winter. I have experienced this and get what they mean. However, I think a more flexible alternative to the light canvas is a 100 wt light fleece and light nylon shell for over a wool sweater. Sunniest days I wear just the wool sweater and shorts with skin layer bottoms. Then, as needed I will add a combination of 200wt fleece pants, skin layer top under the wool sweater, 100wt fleece top of the wool sweater, and wind/rain shells as needed. The same strategy applies in Spring and Fall, though the layers can be a bit lighter. Extreme mid-winter I might add wool long underwear for extra sleepwear but that can also fit over my skin layer and under my mid layer in a extreme cold snap. Cumbersome, but good insurance. Also I often upgrade my outer fleece top to a heavier fleece top, often with a hood, which with light shell turns into a parka.

Basically same layering strategy year round, but heaviers as it gets colder. I think a good rule of thumb is 1 oz of layers every degF below 80-85F, not counting shoes and shells. So for January, if there is an outside chance of say -20F, then that would be 6 to 6.5 pounds of layers, which just about right for a very long very slow energy conserving trudge, with some hunkering down for meals along the way. Most days you will be wearing much less, but on a long trip, where you might get drenching freezing rain as well as extreme cold, I like the flexibility of a mix of wool and fleece with light shells. On cross-country ski trips I tend to go lighter and faster than that, but then if you get caught with a broken ski, or a fall through the ice, or a freak weather change, you will still need extra clothing to fall back on even if its not the whole 6-7 pounds. Being able to make a big fire and shelter helps, but you still need enough extra clothing to get it done. Staying close to civilization is wise when going fast and light. Going up a frozen river or trail that runs parallel to a road with houses is a good option when pushing limits.

Tuckahoe
12-21-2009, 12:39
As a dude that also happens to knit I love the virtues of wool. Because of work and reenacting I probably use wool than most on here.

If you are wanting to use wool as an outer layer, look for something that is a tight weave or knit. It will shed water much better. Wool base layers have been around for a pretty long time and back in WW1 there was a wool cotton blend known as "gray stuff."

But I really have to disagree with the thought that felted is overrated. Felted wool is awesome stuff with great moisture shedding and warming properties. Though weight of felted wool would probably turn off gram weenies.

brooklynkayak
12-21-2009, 12:43
Merino wool base to reduce the stench and for me it doesn't cause the skin irritation that poly does.
It is not as warm per oz as poly, especially when wet, so I always wear synthetics on top.

Silk or bamboo, also something to consider for the same reasons.

DragonStar
12-21-2009, 12:57
I have a 50% silk, 50% cashmere sweater. Would that make a decent layer? It is fairly light but pretty warm.

JAK
12-21-2009, 13:10
I picked up a light silk/cashmere wool sweater at a thrift store and it was awesome but didn't hold up when it made into the laundry cycle by mistake. It was some brand from Bermuda, good quality, but in my house, a wool sweater has to be able to hold up to at least one accidental washing. :)

You would think the silk would have saved it. Where it actually failed was the stitching on the side. It shrunk a little, but I think it would have been repairable and wearable had it been a larger size. Good to go oversized with wool.

I'm a bit of a 100% wool snob, but a little nylon or silk treaded in can work wonders.

JAK
12-21-2009, 13:17
As a dude that also happens to knit I love the virtues of wool. Because of work and reenacting I probably use wool than most on here.

If you are wanting to use wool as an outer layer, look for something that is a tight weave or knit. It will shed water much better. Wool base layers have been around for a pretty long time and back in WW1 there was a wool cotton blend known as "gray stuff."

But I really have to disagree with the thought that felted is overrated. Felted wool is awesome stuff with great moisture shedding and warming properties. Though weight of felted wool would probably turn off gram weenies.I would like to try a thin wool cape some day, which I suppose could be made by felting down a woven wool fabric. Still, for hiking I like my wool to be loose knit, usually in a fairly coarse wool. I don't mind the wind and water going though it. I like to keep my light wind and rain shell separate, for the flexibility. I also like a wool blanket instead of a foam pad for dayhikes. I will think about felting some more, but definitely not for mitts. Hat maybe.

JAK
12-21-2009, 13:45
Channel Island style Fisherman sweaters make great hiking sweaters.
They hold up to water well, and are usually a medium thickness.
They aren't intended to be windproof. Shells can be added for that when needed.

Light, Medium, or Thick, sweaters tend to be of two general types. Some are intended primarily for loft, and are ok when wet but not ideal. Other are intended to get wet, and can be wrung out easily without damage, but have a little less loft. I think merino wool can be used for either, but usually thinner layers, where water management if somewhat less critical. Still, stronger is better. For medium and thicker sweaters British type wools like Cotswold are usually better if wet weather is in mind, but I think the real difference is that the wool yarn and wool garmends have to be made for it. Simply put, they need to be made to resist felting when wet. I think a Channel Islands type fishermans sweater is the archetype for this. As far as Alpaca goes, and other animals other than sheep, i think again you can end up with something built for wet weather or cold weather, but you can also end up with something great for cold weather, but not so great when wet. For hiking I think you want a cold/wet weater type sweater. For skin layers its not so critical, but stronger wool skin layers will be more durable.

Felt is great for insoles also. Nice cold weather improvement to trail runners.
You still need foam insoles for the wet stuff though. Blue foam works in a pinch.

sasquatch2014
12-21-2009, 13:55
I would like to try a thin wool cape some day, which I suppose could be made by felting down a woven wool fabric. Still, for hiking I like my wool to be loose knit, usually in a fairly coarse wool. I don't mind the wind and water going though it. I like to keep my light wind and rain shell separate, for the flexibility. I also like a wool blanket instead of a foam pad for dayhikes. I will think about felting some more, but definitely not for mitts. Hat maybe.

I had thought about that a few times why not try out a Capote. I had a friend who made one when I lived out in wyoming and went to a bunch of blackpowder shoots. she loved it was warm as hell and could be used ton of ways. Made from a Hudson Bay Blanket.

tintin
12-21-2009, 13:58
I'm going with merino wool long johns, baselayers and t-shirts for my thru-hike. I got them from a UK surfing orientated company. They claim their undergarments give you an extra half hour in the water (bloody freezing waters at that). I'm really happy with mine and they work well, more so when wet.

A merino wool long-john, baselayer and t-shirt combo comes in at 17 ounces.

JAK
12-21-2009, 15:49
"A merino wool long-john, baselayer and t-shirt combo comes in at 17 ounces."

That sounds pretty good. I'm not sure what you mean by baselayer though? Do you mean same as the t-shirt but with long sleeves, or really more of light sweater, that could be worn with/without the wool t-shirt? For light/medium sweaters, you can do very well at thrift stores. Wool t-shirts and thin long johns tend to be pricey, but its nice to see them available. Wool boxers and boxer-briefs are a nice option also, but also pricey.

In Canada you can still get good old fashioned wool long johns from Stanfields pretty cheap. I'm not sure you can still get them in 100% wool though. Mine are 100% merino wool combis. 16oz. Good for winter as an extra emergency layer, but I leave them in reserve most days, in my sleeping bag. For most days in winter I try to wear my medium/heavy wool sweater with nothing under, and my skin layer bottoms under shorts. From there I layer up as needed, in various ways, but sweater tends to stay on always. I will bring the heaviest wool sweater that I can still wear with shorts on the warmest days with the wind blowing through it. That way it stays dry, and all the other layers are more packable.

tintin
12-21-2009, 17:34
"A merino wool long-john, baselayer and t-shirt combo comes in at 17 ounces."

That sounds pretty good. I'm not sure what you mean by baselayer though? Do you mean same as the t-shirt but with long sleeves, or really more of light sweater, that could be worn with/without the wool t-shirt? For light/medium sweaters, you can do very well at thrift stores.

Yeah, a baselayer is basically a long sleeve t-shirt. I'm bringing two with me as I'm going for lots of thin layers rather than a sweater, but hope to get away with just the one. I am still a little worried about the cold, but I'm bringing a lightweight down jacket for around camp and can always use that if needs be (with an eVent jacket in rain/snow).

DragonStar
12-22-2009, 22:54
I picked up a light silk/cashmere wool sweater at a thrift store and it was awesome but didn't hold up when it made into the laundry cycle by mistake. It was some brand from Bermuda, good quality, but in my house, a wool sweater has to be able to hold up to at least one accidental washing. :)

You would think the silk would have saved it. Where it actually failed was the stitching on the side. It shrunk a little, but I think it would have been repairable and wearable had it been a larger size. Good to go oversized with wool.

I'm a bit of a 100% wool snob, but a little nylon or silk treaded in can work wonders.

It has gone through the washer and dryer many a time. It is an XXL made in scotland, saks fifth avenue, that's all I know. :) I'll try er out on a hike.

wcgornto
12-22-2009, 23:14
I wore Icebreaker merino wool t-shirts on my thruhike this year. They performed very well from Maine to Virginia, then became unwearable. Once I went back to 3000 foot plus climbs, hiking a rather fast pace, I sweated a lot on the climbs. The salt content of the sweat, combined with the wool fabric, became very, very caustic and abrasive to my skin, particularly where any pack strap, hipbelt, etc., rubbed on the outside of the shirt. I developed tender, red sores in all such places. I switched to a Patagonia capilene base layer and never had the issue again. I loved the merino wool until this issue developed. I am still not quite sure what caused it, other than change in terrain vs. the flatter trail further north and the resulting increased sweat content.

SassyWindsor
12-23-2009, 00:08
I really like the comfort of merino but I've had bad luck with the clothing and socks not lasting or holding up very long. In the sock department I tend to favor the Thorlo Lt Trekking with a cool-max liner, they seem to last forever. I do want to try "Darn Tough Vermont" socks heard good things about them.