PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Hikeing season is here!!!!

off-pher
12-21-2009, 10:19
Who wants to go hike in ONF????? I went last june solo.
Started at Hoppkins praire to the spillway. It was way HOT.
Almost ran out of water was STINKING like..........well you know.
So now that it is some what cool who wants to go?

:welcome

BumpJumper
12-21-2009, 20:24
I will be up for a hike after Christmas. Booked til then.

toegem
12-21-2009, 22:53
I would love to join in but my dance card is full until after the first of the year.

off-pher
12-22-2009, 09:20
I will be up for a hike after Christmas. Booked til then.

That's good I can't get out untill after Christmas ethier. this week is full.
I'll PM you with some dates and places later on. thanks for the reply!

off-pher
12-22-2009, 09:25
I would love to join in but my dance card is full until after the first of the year.
OK after the first if the year it shall be. I'm retired so i can go just about anytime weekdays are best IMO weekends work also. Let me know
whats best for you.

toegem
12-22-2009, 13:49
off-pher I sent you a PM.

jnanagardener
12-22-2009, 13:54
Nice to discover a Florida Trail link! Thanks for posting. Tomorrow I will be going to hike at Myakka River State Park. Then next week it's off to visit mom in Lady Lake. Possibility of getting up to Ocala!

Ladytrekker
12-22-2009, 13:55
Who wants to go hike in ONF????? I went last june solo.
Started at Hoppkins praire to the spillway. It was way HOT.
Almost ran out of water was STINKING like..........well you know.
So now that it is some what cool who wants to go?

:welcome

Check out my site www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers (http://www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers) we just canceled a hike to Hopkins due to really bad weather but are going to reschedule. And got some other hikes going on.

nopain
12-22-2009, 14:15
:sunAfter the Ruck about 5 of us are getting on the east corridor around Titnsville ...should be fun.... no snow.....:sun:sun:sun:sun

modiyooch
12-22-2009, 22:32
tell me about gators. Ever lose a hiker to a gator?

GeneralLee10
12-22-2009, 22:59
I have been pondering the idea of hiking the whole Forest again in Jan.

BumpJumper
12-24-2009, 17:26
Off...I sent you the PM...
anyone else want to hike in the ONF on Tuesday?

GeneralLee10
12-24-2009, 20:09
Hey Bump,
You are talking about the the 29th correct? If so what area were you thinking of hiking and how many days?

BumpJumper
12-26-2009, 11:38
Just for a day. The others are heading north from Juniper. We are camping there Monday. It is going to be in the 30's.

BumpJumper
12-26-2009, 11:39
mody...what gators??????? ALLIGATORS? They dont mess with ya. They dont like humans.

off-pher
12-26-2009, 18:55
Hey Bump,
You are talking about the the 29th correct? If so what area were you thinking of hiking and how many days?

yes please come it would make Bump feel better about meeting some new
[ME] thaks

off-pher
12-26-2009, 19:15
mody...what gators??????? ALLIGATORS? They dont mess with ya. They dont like humans.
That's just a big lie we lose two to three a day!!!!!!!!

BumpJumper
12-26-2009, 23:02
hahhahahahahh....
LMAO

ONLY yankee meat!!!!! :D
Only kidding....

Hey off.....I am ok....I can run fast too...:D

Ladytrekker
12-27-2009, 10:05
Off...I sent you the PM...
anyone else want to hike in the ONF on Tuesday?

I will be hiking in the Withlacoochee State Forest if anyone wants to join in.

www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers (http://www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers)

off-pher
12-27-2009, 11:31
Bump Where are we going to meet at Juniper or Hoppkins prarie camp ground or Saltspings or somewhere else?

Wolfmaan
12-27-2009, 11:33
I'm jealous. I wish I could live somewhere that was warm all year round instead of here in Canada - winter 8 months of the year.

off-pher
12-27-2009, 11:57
Hey Bump,
It is special! Got your pm that was fast. I'm going to my daughters house I'll call from there. 5:30 or 6:00pm tonite. Thanks

BumpJumper
12-27-2009, 15:00
I am waiting with bells on:D

BumpJumper
12-27-2009, 15:01
Wolf...it is nice to be able to head outside and hit the trails. But on the flipside....our scenery is not that of the mountains either.....:sun

BumpJumper
12-27-2009, 15:07
Here is the deal. I am going to be at Juniper Springs campground tomorrow (Mon) to host two of my friends that are hiking through to Rodman. I am staying there Mon night and maybe even Tues.
If there is anyone that wants to hike with me on Tuesday, IM me and we can hook up or you can even get a site as well to camp if you wish.

off-pher
12-27-2009, 19:13
I am waiting with bells on:D

Are you on the phone right now?

BumpJumper
12-27-2009, 20:13
No...did you dial the wrong number? I IM'd you.

BumpJumper
12-27-2009, 20:42
Oh...and I am leaving in the morning and wont have a computer or cell so call tonight.

BumpJumper
12-30-2009, 19:08
Well, we had a great time. I met with my friends at Juniper, stayed the night then went to Hopkins....stayed there all day today and what a recharge that was.

Gray Blazer
12-30-2009, 20:48
For what it's worth...here's my Monday FT dayhike story.

I head off abut noon to check out the Etoniah Creek State Forest for our late winter getaway/Big Foot expedition. I start heading down this sandy 4-wheel jeep road in my 2-wheel drive Gray Blazer and get stuck trying to do a 3 point turn (which would have been a 12 point turn if you know what I mean). Well I get stuck in the sugar sand on the first point and then spend two hours digging out and putting branches under my wheels to move a foot at a time (remember I still had the other eleven points to go). I did not feel like hiking after that since it was 4:00 by then.

I did get some brochures and I will be letting you guys know when I'm going back to overnite at Iron Bridge. Right now I'm thinking the weekend of Jan 29. I'm going to invite some researchers from BFRO (you should hear these guys do their Big Foot calls).

This wtll be a backpacking trip, not car camping. Iron Bridge shelter is only a coupla miles from the trailhead

GMcClain20
12-31-2009, 19:41
Does the BFRO also look for the Bardin Booger? Iron Bridge is an awesome shelter. I love stopping there for an overnighter. I live in Palatka, let me know if you are around and need a hiking partner.

chiefduffy
12-31-2009, 21:30
Count me in, Gray. Please keep me advised of the dates, I now have to give notice to get time off on weekends.

- Duffy

Gray Blazer
01-01-2010, 02:19
Does the BFRO also look for the Bardin Booger? Iron Bridge is an awesome shelter. I love stopping there for an overnighter. I live in Palatka, let me know if you are around and need a hiking partner.

There's a trailhead off of Coral Farms Road where I started one day and had an encounter with the Booger a few miles south. Two BFRO investigators went out with me much later to document. My report is supposed to be posted on BFRO any day.

The trailhead for the Iron Bridge is off Holloway Road off highway 100. I'm gonna email the rangers to see if cars can be left overnite safely at the day access area.

I'll start a thread soon, but, right now I'm planning the FL WB Get Together/Big Foot Vigil for the weekend of Jan 29. I hope it will be really cold so I can use my long johns and 20* bag.

Gray Blazer
01-01-2010, 21:03
Iron Bridge Shelter is 1.5 miles from the trailhead off Holloway Rd. I hiked there today and saw Trail Talker, BlueGill, Flamingo and friends camping out.

BumpJumper
01-03-2010, 10:51
Yes GB...they did say they encountered you.
They had a good hike and didnt get to awfully wet.

Gray Blazer
01-03-2010, 13:29
Yes GB...they did say they encountered you.
You thought I made that up? :D

crl2010
01-03-2010, 15:34
i will be hinking from fort pickens to the alabama state line on the 6th if anyone is going to be doing the same or wants to join let me know

BumpJumper
01-03-2010, 17:32
You thought I made that up? :D

Where did you get THAT from "The did say they encountered you"?????:-?

Ladytrekker
01-03-2010, 17:52
I spent the week after Christmas in Citrus County and hiked the Citrus Tract A Loop and the Croom Tract A Loop. There was no hunting that week and we able to go anywhere without worrying. Liked the area it is really diverse for Florida had inclines and the trails changed alot in appearance.

Going back in March and about 6 of us are hiking the Citrus Tract it for 4 days, this section is a a part of the Florida Trail. I have been kind of section hiking it off and on since August with 38 miles completed so far.

Got plans this month to hike Cumberland, Paynes Prairie (both overnights)and Etoniah (dayhike). In Feb and Mar going to hike Little Econ, Big Shoals, Juniper and the Ellaville Trail. If anyone is interested just pm me.

healthymom
01-03-2010, 23:29
My son and I will be hiking Myakka this week (Thu-Sat or Sun). We're planning to hike the perimeter loop.
We're probably also going to hike ONF over spring break. I'd like to do about 6-7 days.
Anyone want to go along?
Let me know.
Dee
healthymom

Cutty
01-11-2010, 00:12
wanting someone to thru hike the florida trail starting around 1st or 2nd week
in february,2010. anyone interest for a north bound trip starting at the beginning
in big cypress national park let me know. possibly more than one person going.
let's get together.
frank(sunset)masters, by friend bob(cutty)taylor

Hammock Hanger
01-11-2010, 09:57
wanting someone to thru hike the florida trail starting around 1st or 2nd week
in february,2010. anyone interest for a north bound trip starting at the beginning
in big cypress national park let me know. possibly more than one person going.
let's get together.
frank(sunset)masters, by friend bob(cutty)taylor

Just a little info: The rumor is that Big Cypress is at a high water level. NOT. I just hiked through last week and it is only knee high. Lots of dry places to camp. Enjoy your hike. Stop in when you get to my area - Camp Blanding.