PDA

View Full Version : gaters

HumanBN
12-21-2009, 12:29
Hello, anyone use gaters with hiking shoes during the early months when the snow may fall? I prefer to hike in shoes as opposed to boots, though I have been using boots this Winter, and I would like to know if these gaters contraptions are worth anything. Oh, and how's everyone doing out there? Big snow on the East Coast. About 24-29 inches here, depending on which side of the ridge you may be on.

gravy4601
12-21-2009, 22:27
i like my gaters there made by OR and always keep my feet and pants legs dry in deep snow i hate trying to untie frozen shoe laces with wet frozen pant leggs

Tinker
12-21-2009, 22:50
I find that Sealskinz or other waterproof socks work well with trail runners in snow. Laces do freeze, however they probably will from the sweat condensing on the inside of the gaiters as well. I've used gaiters with boots in the mountains in winter and there's always a small amount of snow that works its way between the boot and the gaiter. With a breathable nylon shoe it would mean wet socks and feet (note: I don't wear any socks under my Sealskinz and found that my feet don't get cold until temps get into the teens). Once you stop to camp, though, be prepared to don dry socks and insulated booties!

Blissful
12-21-2009, 23:11
I found gaiters contributed to my blister situation, so I did without.

sasquatch2014
12-21-2009, 23:22
Haven't used them so far but thinking I may get a pair for my Jan Pa hikes just to keep some of the curst out of my boots. Still not sure there may be other things that will call for that money like food or fuel.

Helios
12-22-2009, 07:20
http://gatorbaitgaiters.blogspot.com/

Easiest to wear, best gators I've ever seen. I've worn my pair trail running and section hiking through all seasons now. I will be wearing the same pair when I begin my thru hike in March. If you follow the blog down a bit, you'll see pics of me finishing the Laurel Highlands Ultra wearing mine. Trail Pixie custom makes each pair, and is an avid trail runner her self.

HumanBN
12-23-2009, 15:08
Thanks for the input folks. Happy hiking!

Summit
12-23-2009, 23:32
I have a pair of gaiters . . . I don't use them any more. :-?