PDA

View Full Version : uncle johnny's

rainmaker
10-25-2002, 11:23
My wife and I will be hiking from Erwin to Damascus during November. Because of its convinience , we have chosen to stay in one of the new cabins at Uncle Johnny's. He will also shuttle us from Damascus to Erwin so our vehicle will be waiting for us . His shuttle prices are not cheap , but completely reasonable and comparable to other operations. After all , this is a 160 mile round trip. The cabin price is also reasonable IOHO.

When we get back from this trip I'll be glad to post our impressions.

Peaks
10-25-2002, 18:10
Conventitional wisdom says keep an eye on your wallet.

Lugnut
10-25-2002, 23:59
There have been many negative comments about Uncle Johnny on this and other sites. Some were even made by people whose opinion I respect. However, first of all this is a business. He is not in it just to help poor hikers out and he has put a lot of work in providing a comfortable stop on the trail. I was once leaving for a shuttle when another guy came in going to the same place. Johnny reduced my cost by 50%. He didn't have to do that; I still had to get to Iron Mt. Gap.
I've had several dealings with Uncle Johnny and found him to give as he gets. Be an adult and straight with him and you will be treated fine. I'm sure this will spawn some horror stories; but it is Halloween! :D

chris
10-26-2002, 08:26
Perhaps Uncle Johnny appears in a off-light to many because Miss Janet does not, it seems, run her hostel as a business, but rather as a labor of love. In the other thread about U-J, I make my experiences clear there. After speaking with Miss Janet at the Gathering and all the talk here, I would certainly try her place the next time I'm in Erwin.

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2002, 11:20
Hate to re-hash all this again, but the problem here is NOT with the hikers or guests. To say that the problem is with folks who don't recognize that this is a for-profit business, or to say that all one needs to do here to be treated well is to be "adult and straight" with the proprietor----well this is patent nonsense.

There are DOZENS of for-profit businesses and hiker facilities on the Trail, and this is recognized by the hikers. They make their own decisions where to stay and who to patronize, depending on where they are, what they need, what services are being offerred, and at what price. No hiker objects to paying fair prices for needed goods and services.

But to imply that it's the hikers that are the root of the problem here is to deny reality----of the dozens of other establishments along the Trail, none of them has amassed anywhere near the number of complaints and problems over the years as this place, and they're always the same in nature: Price gouging; denial of promised or advertised goods and services; rudeness, incivility, intemperate and vulgar speech and behavior; interfering with other hiker businesses; lying to hikers about other hiker businesses; witholding hiker Mail and property; and so on. And this has been going on for years; either the proprietor is unaware of the level of dismay this sort of behavior is causing in the hiker community, which I find hard to believe, or he simply doesn't care.

In closing, tho, I refuse to let anyone imply that it's the hikers that are somehow at fault here. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are real problems here, and until they are resolved, the prudent hiker will likely opt to stay elsewhere.

The Weasel
10-26-2002, 15:57
The Aussies have a very subtle proverb..."Each cat his own rat." It's another way of saying, I suppose, "HYOH". Other versions are, "You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-MAH-toe." In French, it's "chacun a son gout", which usually translates to "there is no need to justify different tastes."

Almost everyone to have hiked much of this trail has serious problems with some of those affiliated with the trail, whether they are 'advisors', service providers, stores, or whatever. It's inevitable. Jack remains delightfully irked with me that I turned right (to Laurel Creek Hostel) when he thinks (correctly, I now agree) I should have turned left to Kincora. But I enjoyed Laurel Creek, too, as I enjoyed Uncle Johnny's; I think I'll like Janet's, when I have the chance, too.

And there are places that seriously disappointed me, too...I recall walking several blocks into the residential section of Hot Springs and knocking on a door across from a bait shop, thinking that a good "internet friend" would - as promised - greet me for a relaxing chat, only to find that he wouldn't answer the door.

All this "Uncle Johnny's debate" is showing is that there are a lot of opinions here, and room for most of them. If anyone has anything new about Johnny's to add, I'd enjoy seeing it. The "I love it...I hate it" rants are, however, getting old.

The Weasel

Hammock Hanger
10-26-2002, 16:14
It does get old. Also I feel that every hikers SHOULD check out a place for themselves. I have loved places others did not. As a matter of fact I found most places and folks along the trail to be great. I only had one bad stop my whole time out there... Well we won't re-hash that!! Hammock Hanger

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2002, 16:44
If you're tired of a discussion, Weasel, then recuse yourself from it. But don't try and shut it down cuz you're bored or don't like the way it's going. I'm afraid that you missed my point, which was hardly a rant. My last post was in direct reply to someone who made the remarkable suggestion that hikers were somehow the root of the problem here, for either failing to appreciate that this place was a business, or for failing to be "straight" and "adult" in their dealings with the proprietor.

This contention is pure unadulterated horsecrap, and is highly insulting to the dozens of men and women who've been treated shoddily here. The fact that this place's reputation ain't exactly 5-star has nothing to do with mis-behavior on the part of its patrons.

Nobody is doubting that there are many folks who've enjoyed this place, or at least, had no problems there. I've never said otherwise. But each year, there are dozens who don't leave here happy, and to deny this growing catalog of complaints is to deny the reality that a serious problem exists here. Merely telling people "Hike your own hike, blah, blah, blah" is a cop-out. Of course people have to make their own decisions about where to spend their time and money, but to deny that a problem exists, or to posit that the matter is eminently debatable and questionable is to fly in the face of facts, and in doing so, one is doing no good service to the prospective hikers who need accurate, contemporary information. Anyone who thinks there isn't a problem in Erwin is either ill-informed; hasn't spent sufficient time on the Trail or with other hikers to be fuly aware of the situation; or is simply choosing to ignore established and incontrovertibly proven facts.

Geesh, I've had it with this. The new folks can do what they wish when they get to Erwin. And as to the folks who seem so intent on strapping on a cheerleader's outfit and doing the can-can for this place, well all I can say is have a helluva time. Off the top of my head, tho, I can think of about ninety places more worthy of your support.

Former Admin
10-26-2002, 18:08
Folks this is a forum, and in forums opinions and debates can get strong. We cannot close threads down because they get old or people disagree. Someone else might have an varying opinion later on. The whole purpose of this forum and site is to help hikers of the trail with information from the varied opinions of other hikers. If we sugar coat our opinions, agree on everything, and say that everythings just grand out there, theres no sense in keeping this forum going then.

I think Jack had a good idea, in that if a tread bothers you don't participate in it or read it.

Lugnut
10-26-2002, 18:59
Just for the record: I did not mean to infer that hikers are the source of all the problems at Uncle Johnny's. I've heard a lot of the stories. All I'm saying is that my experience has always been good. Apparently The Weasel and I are the only two lucky hikers that were ever treated fairly there. I should buy a lottery ticket! ;)

The Weasel
10-27-2002, 12:26
I don't close down threads, Admin, and you know it. Nor did I suggest that I was going to.

But Jack has made his point abundantly clear, repeatedly, as have others, and it looked to me - even before the last round - that this topic is generating more heat than it's worth. It's time to calm down a bit.

The Weasel

jensine
10-27-2002, 13:54
As per the Admin and Committee, threads will not be closed and I agree with this.
Therefore I would like to request that if you have posted to this thread more than once that you refrain from posting again. Let those who have not posted their opinions, etc. be able to. And the rest won't have to keep rereading the " he said,she said" stuff.
Thanks,
Jensine

Lugnut
10-28-2002, 01:28
Note to Admin: If the traffic on this site ever starts to lag ( which I don't expect to happen since it's the best one around) just mention one of the following: guns,dogs, cell phones, wingfoot or uncle johnny's. Good for at least a weeks worth of posts! :)

The Weasel
10-28-2002, 12:24
Very tactful, Jensine, and very gentle to all of us. Thanks!

The Weasel

chris
10-28-2002, 14:14
I've been trying to stay out of this one as much as I can. I've posted my experiences with Uncle Johnny in another thread. Lugnut, I too had a very positive experience at Uncle Johnny's. Other people have had good experiences there. Hopefully this statement does not conjure up my dancing in a frilly skirt to Baltimore Jack. Jack knows many people who have not had good experiences there and recommends Miss Janet's place instead.

Although it may be very confrontational, perhaps we should have a poll to determine the prevalence of problems at Johnny's. My suspicion is that a person's problems or lack of problems may be directly related to _when_ they pass through Erwin. It does sound like Johnny has irritable mood swings and at times is charming and, at other times, less than polite, shall we say.

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2002, 16:02
Wow. Now this is getting really amusing; maybe Weasel is right and we've said all that needs to be said here.

And as for Johnny being subject to "mood swings", well, this one made me laugh so damned hard I got mean looks from all 4 librarians! To say this guy is moody is like saying the Titanic stopped in the mid-Antlantic to dis-embark passengers and to take on ice.

But if you wanna run a poll, feel free. God knows we've got a poll for everything else.

jensine
10-28-2002, 16:14
Thanks Weasel, I apprciate your comment, but apparently it's not working. Come on folks I asked nicely, if you posted to this thread more than once PLEASE refrain from any more comments. I think this horse is dead!!!

Thanks,
Jensine

Jack Tarlin
10-28-2002, 20:30
No, the horse isn't dead, but what is dying here is the right to free and open conversation. This is the 2nd attempt in several days to stifle discussion; first it was suggested that this thread be closed. Now comes the remarkable attempt to limit folks to one comment per thread. What's next---banning contributors the moderators don't like?

Ridiculous. A thread will die eventually of its own acord, and until then, as long as it is of interest, is free from vulgar or offensive content, and stays on topic, well it should be allowed to go on. After all, nobody is preventing anyone else, or anyone new from contributing to this or any other on-going discussion. On the contrary, I wish we did hear from more folks. And as has already been pointed out, anyone that tires of a particular discussion can exercise their right as free-thinking adults to transfer their interest elsewhere.

Muzzling folks by keeping track of how often they speak is an abhorrent idea; after all, posters should retain the right to add to their previous comments; to re-iterate certain points; to reply to unfair or unreasonable replies to their posts; to re-write their original message if it's apparent that their words were misconstrued or misunderstood. Also, after a healthy extended dialogue, people might come to see matters differently, and may want to acknowledge that they've changed their minds, or at least come to better understand other viewpoints. For all these reasons and more, a thread should continue free from heavy-handed control, until it is well and truly played out.

The primary purpose of these Forums is to exchange useful information. It ill serves all of us, but especially the prospective thru-hikers, if attempts are made to regulate who, where, and how often one can speak here. If a subject or dialogue interests an individual, they should be allowed to follow it or to contribute to it if they so choose. If their interest lags, well for heaven's sake, they can tune out and go somewhere else.

In short, hands off the threads, and enough already with weekly ideas of how to regulate the posts, which will only lead to stifled discussions, resentment towards the site administartion, and if followed to its conclusion, will destroy this site's reputation as an open, free, and unfettered Forum for interactive Discussion.

The moderator is best who moderates least.

Lugnut
10-29-2002, 00:29
I agree with Jack on this one. I will also acknowledge that due to overwhelming evidence there is a "chance" I may be wrong about Johnny's. There is an awful lot of smoke so there may be a fire. I would hate to be wrong since it happens so infrequently!:D

The Weasel
10-29-2002, 00:45
"Maybe The Weasel is right and we've said all there is to say..."

Well, yeah.

And if that's the case, why keep beating the same dead horse? But if you folks want to, go ahead. That's my point, and Jensine's as well, I think. (Far be it for me to put words in YOUR mouth, Jensine!!!)But it's just a damned shame, Jack, that you think you have to do so with insults and name calling. Why not let your position gain credence by its logic and honesty - you've got plenty of both - and stop trying to win through intimidation? It isn't necessary.
The Weasel

Former Admin
10-29-2002, 01:52
I would just like to say that there seems to be 2 Uncle John threads here, and that if you go and read the other thread there is FACT written in a post about Uncle Johnny that is not general hearsay.

I hate to see this **** going on, but I agree this board should not be censored and doing so will defeat the purpose of having this forum.

Hopefully things will cool down eventually as i'm sure they will. This thread is just a good example of the heated debates and varying opinions people in the trail community have on certian topics. This is a good thing though, in that it shows the diversity of the hikers the AT community is comprised of.

The AT was built for everybody, from all walks of life and backgrounds, it is a public place and is Amererican as can be, just like this forum hopes to be.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2002, 15:24
Weasel---Will keep this short, I've really got better things to do.

However, I feel compelled to point out that all I've done here is attempt to inform folks of a problem that exists, and to encourage (despite some resistance!) a free and open discussion of the matter, so that folks can decide for themselves which businesses they wish to support, and which they might wish to avoid. The main purpose of this Forum is to exchange useful information on the Trail, especially data that may be of use to those planning their first extended hike on the A.T. That, and that only, is the main reason I spend time on these Forums.

The problem that presently exists in Erwin is well-known, and has been anything but a secret for several years. I've done nothing wrong in attempting to discuss the matter in depth here; I've insulted nobody, and in using names and terms to describe certain individuals and their behavior, I've been fair, prudent, and most of all, accurate. It should also me re-iterated that the matters I've spoken of have been repeatedly corroborated by others, who are perfectly willing to provide details, names, dates, witnesses.

In short, your last post was more than a bit out of line. I have neither insulted nor intimidated anybody in this discussion. It is seldom pleasant to engage in negative speech about another person, their behavior, or their character. But if the comments made are justifiable and provably true, and can and have been corroborated by any number of other folks, then how on earth can this be construed as insult and intimidation? Call it what you wish. In my house, it's called the truth.

And now, as I'm sure most of you will be happy to hear, I'm gonna try real hard to stay away from this thread; God knows there are worthier places, and more important things to discuss.

The Weasel
10-29-2002, 15:56
I can keep it shorter.

If anyone wants to criticize a hostel (or anyplace else), do so; as Harry Truman said, "I don't give 'em hell! I just tell the truth and they think it's hell." I'm sure those who post here would say the same things to John Shores' face, whether good or bad. That's fair. If he can't take criticism - even harsh - about his business, he should quit.

But it demeans this forum for its members to call other forum members with different opinions "shills" and "cheerleaders who should strap on their outfits and do the can can", and whose opinions are "horsecrap" while they "run cover" for someone especially when, as a matter of fact, they aren't.

Jack Tarlin is a highly experienced AT hiker, and his opinions are justifiably given great respect. He doesn't need to insult other forum members to keep that respect, and to the extent that he does so, he risks losing it. I hope that never happens.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
10-29-2002, 18:26
With regards to posting about hostels, stores, shuttles, and other services. I think people should be allowed to be honest about their experiences and the experiences of others they know about a place. This helps people decide wether or not to use the place, but to totally avoid commenting about a place or present negative and/or positive notesa about a place would also be bad.

A while back Weasle posted he didn't like his stay at Rainbow Springs, and we debated the issue, I think that debate gave people the general idea of what to really expect from the place and if they cannot hack certain things, then maybe they shouldn't stay there, but it was discussed, and I think for the good of Jensine (maybe the trouble makers for her will avoid it) and for the good of hikers (if it ain't what you are looking for don't go, buit if it is, its there).

Although I haven't been to UJs I have heard a lot about the place from both sides and feel I can make my own decision about going there thanks to hearing all the experiences and the debate. Lets here the debate about the place from both sides, lets not have disscussions limited unless they get totally out of hand please. Since I haven't made it that far north, I'd like to hear all the sides.

rainmaker
11-22-2002, 22:11
My wife and I began our trip from Erwin to Damascus on Saturday, Nov. 9 . We spent the previous night in one of the new private rooms at Uncle Johnnies . Johnnie also provided a shuttle from Damascus to Erwin. As stated earlier , his prices were comparable to other providers we have used in Georgia and North Carolina. The room was small , but clean and comfortable .
Johnnie was politely friendly .In fact , you could call his demeanor , businesslike. Considering that he does run a for profit enterprize , I didn't expect more or less. He appeared to be knowledgeable about the local community , answering several of my questions about Erwin , its history and the history of other nearby communities.
To sum it up, my wife and I were very satisfied we decided to stay at Uncle Johnnies . They were dependable , punctional and courteous. There were no disputes over prices. Were we to hike in that area again , we would definitely consider staying there and/or using their services.
The purpose of this post is not to start another flame war , but to simply record our impressions . Thanks.

Former Admin
11-22-2002, 23:05
Cool i'll review him in March, I plan on staying one night under another name and then moving on to give Miss Janet a bedtime kiss the next.

Krispy Kreme
11-27-2002, 12:13
Took a zero at Uncle Johnnny's at the end of Oct. Only saw Johnny once for a few minutes but had nice interations with his wife Charolette and his grounds-keeper Jim. This place is clean, warm and comfortable. @ $10.00/night it includes shower, shuttle to town in the AM, or use of bicycle. Laundry was extra & Charlotte picks it up in the evening & returns it in the AM(somewhat inconvenient if you don't have a clean change of clothes). I tried phoning Janet from the trail but could not get through. Also, I think there will be a problem getting back on the trail in the early AM. Johnny's is only a few yards off trail, therefore super easy access. I found Johnnys to be a good stop & would recommend it.:)

Jack Tarlin
11-27-2002, 18:16
Glad to hear a positive report from Krispy, tho I'd be curious to hear reports from more Southbounders. Moreover, maybe the trail buzz, as well as the distinct possibility of being dropped from some of the thru-hiker planning guides has provided something of a wake-up call here re. respectful and courteous service.
If so, good. If not, well, let the chips fall where they may.

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2002, 16:20
Once again..I have stayed at UJ many times and have always been satisfied...One time I did have a billing problem tht I discussed with him in an adult manner and it was quickly resolved with an apology from johnny..

baltimore as far as weasel comments about your demeaning other hikers .. he is correct...I remember meeting you I think in 2000 at the rat patrol feed at browns gap...we talked about hampton tn ..I mentioned that I was going to stay at Laurel creek and you put it down...Kincora and your buddy being the ONLY place fit to stay...I was looking forward to a soak in the Hot tub and you made a comment about how nasty hikers are .. well we all took a bath before getting in the hot tub...and enjoyed it..the two sisters from texas were nice

Jack Tarlin
01-02-2003, 15:35
Gee, Steve, where to begin? First off, thanx for the kind words. Yeah, that's why I spend about 2 hours a day on the Internet in the fall and winter talking to prospective thru-hikers.....my sole intent is to demean them. Thank you for clearing this up Steve.

And sorry you had a bad time at the Rat Patrol fest, but I don't remember you; maybe I was too busy cooking for, and feeding hikers....when I wasn't busy demeaning them, that is.

As far as the Kincora vs, Laurel Creek debate, Bob Peoples, who runs Kincora, is not merely "my buddy." He just happens to run the finest hiker hostel on the Trail and is an absolute saint of a human being. Did you ever meet him? If you had, you'd know that he and his place need no boosting from me to attract hikers; he does fine all by himself. But being a very special person, of course I talk up his place and suggest that people go there; they'd be crazy not to.

As for the other place, if you bother to re-read my earlier comments (re. the lengthy discussion with Weasel and others) I acknowledged that many folks have had a good time there. In fact, it's just as well there's another place in Dennis Cove, as otherwise Kincora would get swamped; it's busy enough there as it is.

If I spoke ill of Laurel Creek, Steve, it's due to personal knowledge that I don't really wanna go into here....maybe Lone Wolf or someone else might wanna fill you in about how many people in the Damascus area got screwed when the Old Mill, the allegedly state of the art hiker facility in Damascus declared bankruptcy (the Mill was owned by the guy who runs Laurel Creek). Laurel Creek, as comfortable as it may have been, was always all about the money. So I'm glad you had a good time, I'm glad you enjoyed your hot tub, I'm sorry you felt demeaned at the Rat Patrol fest even tho it didn't prevent you from sticking around and enjoying the free food some of my friends provided.

But in future, Steve, lighten up your comments or consider switching to de-caff. Or if you absolutely MUST go after individuals on this post and make personal remarks about others, at least have the maturity and integrity to put your real name on them; anonymous whines and complaints do not do you any credit. Now if you'll excuse me, I haveta go check the 3 mailing lists I'm on that deal with helping folks plan a thru-hike....I sure don't wanna miss the opportunity to demean anyone else.

Lugnut
01-02-2003, 16:41
Was talking with Bob and Pat yesterday and they said that Laurel Creek had been sold. It looks like a nice place (I've never been past the gate) but with the reputation Kincora deservedly has Mother Teresa would have to be running it to hurt their business. I really shouldn't call it a business; it is actually a labor of love.

smokymtnsteve
01-02-2003, 17:05
gee Jack ..more folks know me by my "trail name" than they do by my real name ...actually my real name is just for legal paper work ...my real identity is smokymtnsteve... we didn't really formally meet at the brown gap affair..just some "cracker barrel" talking with in a group...wasn't like I was looking for a date with ya or something....

Maybe you should think about identifying your post by your trail name ..lots of folks would recognize you by that ...I had to read a couple of your post before I figured out that jack tarlin= baltimore Jack ...nobody from the trail would recognize me by my "real name"

I have meet bob ..and he seems to be a great guy..caught a ride with him from browns grocery up to the road crossing at the lake...gave him some gas money for the lift..he did not really want it but I insisted...I hear he runs a great place was thinking about trying out kincora this year..I have heard lots of folks saying great things about it ...I'm glad that he has the funding to accomplish his dreams ..lots of places "have " to be about the money so that they can afford to stay open and continue to supply wanted services to the hiking community...

yea the old mill was an ambitious project for the damascus area...dennis is quite a dreamer!

Jack Tarlin
01-03-2003, 16:53
Yeah, I'm sure he is....just like I'm sure the folks who got it in the back of the neck when he declared bankruptcy are dreaming about ever seeing any of their money.

And as far as Bob Peoples having "the funding to accomplish his dreams" you should be aware that Bob lives extremely modestly, and whatever "funds" he's living on come from his serving his country in the military for over 20 years; when he was done, all he wanted to do was open a hiker hostel. He charges $4 a day for services that other places (including Laurel Creek) charge seven times as much for; his hostel is based on a "voluntary donation" model, and probably half the folks who stay there don't kick in a dime; Bob spends literally thousands of dollars a year out of his pocket to keep the place open, as well as funding his trail maintainance projects in the area, which he also pays for himself.

To attempt to compare these two places is absurd; to say the L.Creek charges money so they can continue to serve hikers is more than a bit disingenuous; it charges money so it can make money, like a great many other places, and there's nothing really wrong with this. Hikers can decide for themselves what sort of services they require, and how much they want to spend to receive and enjoy these services. But to compare these two places is reidiculous.

Trail facilities that are, as you so eloquently put it, "about the money", are very, very differnt from the handful of places where money isn't even thought about. I hope very much you get the chance to visit Kincora and have the chance to see for yourself what I'm talking about here.

gravityman
01-03-2003, 17:04
Bob is a special person, that's for sure! It is truely a labor of love. When someone tried to give him money to help defray costs, did he use it to pay the light bill? No - be bought a gas grill for hikers to use. (I forget who gave him the cash donation, but someone who stayed there and really wanted to help out the place and Bob) Now that is impressive. And I believe that he doesn't have any money. He was a school teacher for years...

Special and unique guy that Bob... Makes me get all misty just thinking about what a good time we had there... I even feel lucky that I got to do trail maintance with him and the rest of the Tenn crew.

Lone Wolf
02-01-2003, 20:05
I was thumbing thru Wingfoot's 2003 guide today at MRO and noticed Uncle Johnny's is NOT listed anywhere in it. Is he closed? Or does Wingy not like him?

The Weasel
02-02-2003, 00:51
Well, Steve...we walked together and rode together and slept together and saw you volunteer as a Shelter Angel in the Smokey Mountains National Park that I kinda thought that "Steve" really WAS your real name. You know, like those weird people who actualy really DO things for the Trail, like the Kinnarock Crew and people like you, are more known by their Trail names than their "real names". Oh well. I guess you'll have to tell the Department of Motor Vehicles that your first name isn't "Smoky". Just like Johhny had a hard time convincing me his first name wasn't "Uncle". Damn. But Jack's right. You're too invisible and too much of a mooch, even though you cruised the trail towns offering free rides after you get done doing free trail work. Next time, wear a billboard around your neck and brag more, would ya?

The Weasel

smokymtnsteve
02-15-2003, 14:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Weasel
[B]Well, Steve...we walked together and rode together and slept together and saw you volunteer as a Shelter Angel in the Smokey Mountains National Park that I kinda thought that "Steve" really WAS your real name.

smokymtnsteve replies
"Your a smart man to have figuered that one out!"

Originally posted by The Weasel
You know, like those weird people who actualy really DO things for the Trail, like the Kinnarock Crew and people like you, are more known by their Trail names than their "real names".

smokymtnsteve replies
" you calling me WIERD???? you should talk!"

Oh well. I guess you'll have to tell the Department of Motor Vehicles that your first name isn't "Smoky".

smokymtnsteve replies
" don't turn me in please...some of THEM already know"

Just like Johhny had a hard time convincing me his first name wasn't "Uncle". Damn.

smokymtnsteve replies
"you mean Uncle isn't his name????

But Jack's right.

smokymtnsteve replies
" as always"

You're too invisible

smokymtnsteve replies
" That's the plan..glad it's working"

and too much of a mooch,

smokymtnsteve replies
"Ok weasel I have the money I owe you...you wouldn't take it remember"

even though you cruised the trail towns

smokymtnsteve replies
"now that's getting personal...even though we did sleep tgether"

offering free rides

smokymtnsteve replies
" Weasel what kind of defense attorney are you????

there you go accusing me of offering FREE RIDES ...our friend jensine has accused me of the SAME offense....Who's side are ya on???"

after you get done doing free trail work. Next time, wear a billboard around your neck

smokymtnsteve replies
" I usually wear the sign on my back...last time at The Beaver dam JAM the sign on my back ..begging for a ride to Hotlanta...got me several offers..."

and brag more, would ya

smokymtnsteve replies
"could I just tell a funny story or sing a song about s**t????"

:banana

JojoSmiley
04-29-2003, 14:56
Just a thought, wasn't this thread about U-J? Go somewhere else to have the other discussion please. As for my experiences, none first hand but my former partners in 2000 and 2002 have all had problems with him due to staying with him and getting rides from Miss J. So don't mix them is my advice and if you have the bucks and friends the Holiday Inn Express is a great place to stay.
Savor the Moments!

Mala
04-29-2003, 22:31
I have a better idea of where to stay in Erwin. There is a hostel at the Nolichuckey Campground that has been there for who knows how long. Rick ,the owner, is one of the best people I have met in Erwin.

Now for my two cents worth on Uncle Johnny. I live 20 miles up the road, when I heard about Uncle Johnny's I went there to check it out. UJ was the first person I ever met on the trail who said that .he was there to make money and he looked for a place to make money. The whole time I was there he never even meationed anything about hiker needs. Myself ,I would avoid UJ like the plague. When I summited K on Oct. 1, 2001. I saw a picture taken with 27 hikers flipping the bird. The picture was taken to be sent to UJ.
I would have loved to see his face when he saw that thank you note.

hikerat2002
04-30-2003, 18:13
Huh? I heard Rick at Nolichucky was in it for the chicks. Maybe it was another guy at the campground. Nolichucky had some numbnut employee back in '95 who pissed off the female employees there. I'll see if it is the same guy this year.

Lone Wolf
04-30-2003, 21:52
Wrong guy. Rick is happily married and a stand-up man. The dickhead you're refrrring to was the campground manager and has since been fired. Still a damn good place to camp and hang.

Mala
04-30-2003, 21:59
AT was a numbnut. He was the manager. He is long gone. He tried to charge a quarter to set at the picnic table. Rick is the owner chances are you won't even see him, but if you do ask him for a look at his atrwork. He makes bowls out of knot of trees. Some of the most beautiful work I have ever seen.

hikerat2002
05-01-2003, 05:56
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Whoever the former employee was, I am glad he is gone. Nolichucky is a gravitational place like Hot Springs and Harpers Ferry are for me. Maybe the water running through the area does it.

Mountain Dew
05-08-2003, 21:37
I'm hiking this year (2003) and I think I've heard 15 story's about uncle Johnny treating people bad. Numerous times hikers have said that he was drunk constantly. I'd never stay there muchless tell somebody to stay there. Anybody who says that they got along with him should consider themselves lucky.

hikerat2002
05-09-2003, 06:54
So why stay there if UJ is gonna be a drag?

wacocelt
05-09-2003, 19:21
LIKE I said ..." I'd NEVER stay there" . You must have skipped right over that most important part of the post. :-?

hikerat2002
05-09-2003, 20:08
This thread is formally retired now. Stay at Uncle Johnny's AYOR.

Doctari
06-26-2003, 16:39
In My 7 years of section hiking the AT from Springer to Iron Mt Gap, I have heard "Horror stories" about EVERY: facility, shelter, road crossing tree, privy, campsite, ridge runner, etc. along the trail. BAR NONE. I will not spread them here. Yes, I even heard "bad things" about Ms Janets. So, stay at the ones you want, avoid the ones you don't. ALL the places I have stayed at have been great, even those that were "The worst I have ever stayed at in my life" reports by other hikers.
If someone, no matter how sincere or well intentioned, tells me a horror story about some place, I just smile & show interest, but it dosn't affect my decisions. One place I have heard the most bad things about I have stayed at 3 times, and have NEVER had a bad experience. I was treated with dignity & respect AND charged a reasonable rate for services rendered.

Later this year, My family & I will be at U Js to do some rafting. I think that says it all.

MOMMA always said: "If you cant say something nice about someone, dont say anything" I bet your momma said the same thing.

Lugnut
06-26-2003, 20:14
Boy, Doctari you're going to get roasted for saying anything positive about U J's. This subject draws more fire than dogs, guns and cell phones combined! :D

I've had about the same experience there as you. Maybe us Ohio guys just get along with people better.

RenaissanceMan98
06-28-2003, 09:55
bah

smokymtnsteve
06-28-2003, 18:20

Kozmic Zian
03-13-2004, 20:52
:cool: Yea....Again...Johnny's Crib. Johnny's wasn't there when I hiked Thru in '96. When I came in off the run down, in '00, here's this very commercial looking, obviously exploitive business set up right at the door step of the mountain. For that reason, and that reason alone, I would not patronize this place. Anyone who 'moves in' with that much intention to capitalize is in no way, IMHO, deserving of my hard earned Andrew Jacksons. If, we as a group(hikers) support this type of commercialism along the Trail, it could, eventually lead to other similar sorts of private venture that would permanantly damage our rights to have the kind of experience that we should be seeking.

As far as the other issues of the general forum, you cannot try to overly control (ala Trail*****) the postings or threads. It has to remain an open, fair, unbiased (from admin) forum, or it collapses from within. Control ,within reason, is expected and of course, there have to be rules (of engagement) to some extent. I think this net does a pretty good job of regulating itself. If a member becomes too out of control, he or she, eventually becomes ostrasized and withdraws of their own accord. So, let's keep up the good work, and enjoy and respect each others posts. After all, Whiteblaze is a fun and enjoyable break in each one of our days, and I personally hope to see it stay that way. KZ@

neo
08-22-2004, 07:02
i stayed at uncle johnnys on a section hike in august 2001,and he did a shuttle for me,i got great service no problem at all,neo:)

WILLIAM HAYES
04-15-2007, 19:58
As a section hiker I have stayed at Uncle Johnny's several times. John has always gone out of his way to be helpful. I have enjoyed his conversations and his knowledge about the trail. Perhaps being in the same career-human resources and from the same state alabama we struck a common cord with each other. Johnny went out of his way to shuttle me one cold morning several years ago after one of his favorite dogs got killed that morning by a hit and run driver. We both had a few tears in our eyes that morning. I always make it a point if I am going by Erwin to stop and say hello. He is a good ambassador for the AT

Hillbilly

weary
04-15-2007, 20:26
:....in '96. When I came in off the run down, in '00, here's this very commercial looking, obviously exploitive business set up right at the door step of the mountain. For that reason, and that reason alone, I would not patronize this place. Anyone who 'moves in' with that much intention to capitalize is in no way, IMHO, deserving of my hard earned Andrew Jacksons. If, we as a group(hikers) support this type of commercialism along the Trail, it could, eventually lead to other similar sorts of private venture that would permanantly damage our rights to have the kind of experience that we should be seeking. ....
We remain, wisely, a capitalistic society. If, as long distance hikers, we want to continue to find services in trail towns, we should support and encourage those services.

Unlike biblical candle holders, trailside businesses in towns have no need to hide their wares under a bushel, Nor should users applaud when they unwisely do so.

Let's support wildness in the woods and hills, where it it still possible to achieve same -- not in towns -- where wildness is just a figment of our prejudices.

Weary

Tha Wookie
04-15-2007, 23:44
What a gossip thread.

Look out steve, lenny is going to get patriotic on you.

As per uncle johnny's.... he did treat us to a very nice Easter supper. I think he was trying. He's certainly not the most congenial hostel owner, but if a guy is all about the money, then so what. That's his own fault -hostelling is obviously not a good way to make money. Of course, I have heard a lot of other stories.... but I'm not going there on an internet forum.

All I will say is the next time I go through I will DEFINITELY stay at Ms. Janet's. Not necessarily because I dislike UJ, but because she is just one of those super-special trail personalities who would be a shame to miss. She is a first-class sweetheart. She added a lot to my hike.

max patch
04-16-2007, 07:06
Let's support wildness in the woods and hills, where it it still possible to achieve same -- not in towns -- where wildness is just a figment of our prejudices.

Inasmuch as Ms. Janet felt it necessary to shuttle beer to a group of hikers staying at Beauty Spot via a forest service road then I'll make sure she won't get a dime of my money.

Theres a reason that don't build shelters next to roads anymore.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 08:05
More drama.

generoll
04-16-2007, 08:41
Inasmuch as Ms. Janet felt it necessary to shuttle beer to a group of hikers staying at Beauty Spot via a forest service road then I'll make sure she won't get a dime of my money.

Oh good grief!!

Appalachian Tater
04-16-2007, 13:47

Yeah, cold drinks at a shelter really suck. String her up by her toes!

Nightwalker
04-16-2007, 14:15

It didn't happen, ya dufus. Go take a hike and quit yer ******** (sniveling, but with a different spelling). :sun

max patch
04-16-2007, 14:18
Yeah, cold drinks at a shelter really suck. String her up by her toes!

Well, we all hike for different reasons.

Apparently you enjoy being woken up at midnight by a van driving up to where you are camped via a forest service road, the occupants of the van approaching the campsite yelling and screaming as they deliver cases of beer to their friends.

I don't.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=172343

Two nights ago, a group of hikers who call themselves the "Riders on the Storm", called Miss Janet's house and jokingly asked if she could bring beer and pizza to where they were camping. They were on top of a mountain called the Beauty Spot, which was accessible via a forest service road. The 12 of us from the hostel piled into Miss Janet's van and headed up the hill, with the van threatening to quit at any minute as it chugged and jumped up the rough road. As we walked towards the riders' campsite around midnight, we started yelling in our best southern drawls "You god-damn yankees get off of my mountain. Go home you freakin' hippies!" and such stuff. Scared out of their wits, head-lamp adorned heads started to pop their way out of the tents. When the saw us, toting several cases of beer, their fears were allayed.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 14:24
More drama!

Midway Sam
04-16-2007, 14:28
More drama!

Whiteblaze seems to be quickly turning into a Sniveling Zone. :(

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 14:32
You ain't kidding there. United States of the Offended.

rafe
04-16-2007, 15:12
Two nights ago, a group of hikers who call themselves the "Riders on the Storm", called Miss Janet's house and jokingly asked if she could bring beer and pizza to where they were camping. They were on top of a mountain called the Beauty Spot, which was accessible via a forest service road. The 12 of us from the hostel piled into Miss Janet's van and headed up the hill, with the van threatening to quit at any minute as it chugged and jumped up the rough road. As we walked towards the riders' campsite around midnight, we started yelling in our best southern drawls "You god-damn yankees get off of my mountain. Go home you freakin' hippies!" and such stuff. Scared out of their wits, head-lamp adorned heads started to pop their way out of the tents. When the saw us, toting several cases of beer, their fears were allayed.

If I were camping up there, and hadn't been in on the joke, I'd have been extremely un-amused. :mad:

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 15:17
Isn't it interesting how a thread about one place can turn into a bashing of someone completly different.

Hmmmmm :-?

max patch
04-16-2007, 15:22
Isn't it interesting how a thread about one place can turn into a bashing of someone completly different.

Hmmmmm :-?

Not bashing anyone. Merely relaying the facts. You either think boisterous midnight beer runs are an acceptable use of the trail or you don't.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 15:27
Right. And you think hashing and re-hashing it over and over again is sniveling or it isn't.

max patch
04-16-2007, 15:29
It didn't happen, ya dufus. Go take a hike and quit yer ******** (sniveling, but with a different spelling). :sun

So the trail journals entry is a lie and the photos were doctored? And you know this how?

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 15:32
I got a plan here Max. Why not just stop sniveling about Ms Janet - you were not even there to be offended. You have just decided to start the gossip mill about her on a thread that has nothing to do about her. Sort of seems childish and vindictive at some level.

Play nice, and try to act like an adult.

HickHiker
04-16-2007, 15:59
True blue. Been following the Rock's words for a long time, he never disappoints.:sun

Dances with Mice
04-16-2007, 17:08
I'd have been offended if someone woke me up saying they had beer then handed me a Lite.

Tha Wookie
04-16-2007, 18:07
ok-

Everyone remember not to share your beer or pizza with Max Patch. He might snivel on it.

LEGS
04-16-2007, 18:13
I'd have been offended if someone woke me up saying they had beer then handed me a Lite.

Your right there Mr. D, if your gonna drink beer, then let it be BEER and not LITE, yuck. PBR still rules!!!! haahahahah. how you doin sir, we gonna see you at traildaze!!!

LEGS
04-16-2007, 18:15
Weasel---Will keep this short, I've really got better things to do.

However, I feel compelled to point out that all I've done here is attempt to inform folks of a problem that exists, and to encourage (despite some resistance!) a free and open discussion of the matter, so that folks can decide for themselves which businesses they wish to support, and which they might wish to avoid. The main purpose of this Forum is to exchange useful information on the Trail, especially data that may be of use to those planning their first extended hike on the A.T. That, and that only, is the main reason I spend time on these Forums.

The problem that presently exists in Erwin is well-known, and has been anything but a secret for several years. I've done nothing wrong in attempting to discuss the matter in depth here; I've insulted nobody, and in using names and terms to describe certain individuals and their behavior, I've been fair, prudent, and most of all, accurate. It should also me re-iterated that the matters I've spoken of have been repeatedly corroborated by others, who are perfectly willing to provide details, names, dates, witnesses.

In short, your last post was more than a bit out of line. I have neither insulted nor intimidated anybody in this discussion. It is seldom pleasant to engage in negative speech about another person, their behavior, or their character. But if the comments made are justifiable and provably true, and can and have been corroborated by any number of other folks, then how on earth can this be construed as insult and intimidation? Call it what you wish. In my house, it's called the truth.

And now, as I'm sure most of you will be happy to hear, I'm gonna try real hard to stay away from this thread; God knows there are worthier places, and more important things to discuss.

IF YOU BOYS CANT SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT PEOPLE AND PLACES----THEN SIT RIGHT HERE NEXT TO ME!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHA----
YOU'ALL SHOULD BEHAVE!!!!

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 18:25
Just my take. UJ may have pissed off some people in the past. People should be able to get past things they have screwed up on in the past. And one thing that seems to prevent that from happening is other people not letting go something that happened in the past.

As for me, I would go to Uncle Johnnies myself to make the decision if I like his service or not. I wouldn't use something someone said here as the only reason I would not.

Same goes for a lot of other vendors, service providers, and even personalities. And yes, I didn't mention anyones name but I was thinking of specific people and incidents in each of those examples.

Lilred
04-16-2007, 18:25
[QUOTE=max patch;353173]Well, we all hike for different reasons.

Apparently you enjoy being woken up at midnight by a van driving up to where you are camped via a forest service road, the occupants of the van approaching the campsite yelling and screaming as they deliver cases of beer to their friends.

I don't. Quote]

Who said there were others camping there that were unappreciative?

Sorry, but this goes waaaay beyond sniveling, getting upset over something that brought absolutely no harm to anyone, when you weren't even there, and don't know the people that were involved.

Tell me, do you tell snorers they shouldn't stay in shelters too?

Lone Wolf
04-16-2007, 18:29
nobody should whine about cell phone users on the trail either.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 18:40
Dang, now lets all play nice with each other.

Jester2000
04-16-2007, 18:41

I don't.

Well I suppose it's a good thing you didn't.
Get woken up, that is. As you weren't there. Or perhaps you were. But as far as I'm aware, what's being complained about is someone calling a friend, who drove up A ROAD to a PARKING LOT next to a spot on the trail OVERLOOKING A TOWN. And I didn't read in that entry that there was anyone else on Beauty Spot that night. Max didn't read it either.

It's a parking lot, for those who haven't been there, often frequented by locals at all hours of the day and night.

So if you're looking for Max's kind of solitude, you should probably look elsewhere anyway, regardless of whether or not Miss J plans to be up on the hill. Or you could go up there for some solitude and piss and moan when someone decides to use that road.

Dances with Mice
04-16-2007, 18:46
how you doin sir, we gonna see you at traildaze!!!I'm fine, and you?

Are they going to have anyplace at Traildaze with a giant stack of pots, pans, and dishes for you, me, and Weinstein to wash? If not I don't really see the point in going.

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 18:55
OK, time...

Lets not turn this thread into a bashing of other hikers, posters, or service providers. This is a thread about Uncle Johnnie.

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 20:07
I'm fine, and you?

Are they going to have anyplace at Traildaze with a giant stack of pots, pans, and dishes for you, me, and Weinstein to wash? If not I don't really see the point in going.

That's all it would take? I can arrange that.

Nightwalker
04-16-2007, 21:48
So the trail journals entry is a lie and the photos were doctored? And you know this how?

MISS JANET didn't go. Her van did. You need a hike. Has it really been seven years?

Lugnut
04-16-2007, 22:04
OK, time...

This is a thread about Uncle Johnnie.

Yeah, let's get back to bashing Uncle Johnny. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 22:09
Lets not. I belive (based on reports) he is doing good. Like I said, he deserves a second chance if he was pissin folks off back then.

Miss Janet
04-16-2007, 22:17
Actually, Miss Janet did go.

And it was an absolutely beautiful night. I wish there could have been 30 more people there to enjoy the beauty of that spot with the lightening and thunder storms as they traveled up the river far away. The full moon was behind us with a clear sky full of stars. There were 19 people total and a total of 24 beers... you do the math. We had a small fire and talked and laughed for an hour and then we went home.

The plans had already been made and we knew there were NO other hikers staying there. There was no yelling until we were in the campsite... it was a well taken JOKE and it was FUN!! That spot has been the site of hundreds of nights of memory making in my lifetime... seeing that it is actually 3 miles from my childhood home. I hate the elitism that says that hikers are entitled to a WHOLE mountian for their own enjoyment. I have spent many of the most wonderful outdoor adventures of my life on a mountian with a fire and sometimes even a beer and NO, I did not have to hike there to have the right to enjoy it...

Max Patch is entitled to his opinion. I do not need or want his money.

Skidsteer
04-16-2007, 22:31
Well sure.

It's all fun and games until someone on the internet gets their hairy eyeball poked out.

ed bell
04-16-2007, 22:37
Well, we all hike for different reasons.

I don't.

Just curious, now that the facts are in, how many times has the above scenario happened to you while backpacking? If the answer is more than one, I would suggest being a bit more discerning of your campsite.

Tin Man
04-16-2007, 23:05
Just curious, now that the facts are in, how many times has the above scenario happened to you while backpacking? If the answer is more than one, I would suggest being a bit more discerning of your campsite.

You mean don't hike the MA/VT AT in the fall? I don't mind the partying - it is the gun fire in the middle of the night that drives me bonkers!

SGT Rock
04-16-2007, 23:16
Remember - Uncle Johnny thread...

LEGS
04-17-2007, 00:24
I'm fine, and you?

i'm sure they'll be plenty, just look for the white blaze space in the quiet area. and uncle johnny, your invited too. you can dry em!!!

Tha Wookie
04-17-2007, 00:38
Lets not turn this thread into a bashing of other hikers, posters, or service providers. This is a thread about Uncle Johnnie.

There is a certain sense of irony in that statement.

MrHappy
04-17-2007, 12:42
Actually, Miss Janet did go.

And it was an absolutely beautiful night. I wish there could have been 30 more people there to enjoy the beauty of that spot with the lightening and thunder storms as they traveled up the river far away. The full moon was behind us with a clear sky full of stars. There were 19 people total and a total of 24 beers... you do the math. We had a small fire and talked and laughed for an hour and then we went home.

The plans had already been made and we knew there were NO other hikers staying there. There was no yelling until we were in the campsite... it was a well taken JOKE and it was FUN!! That spot has been the site of hundreds of nights of memory making in my lifetime... seeing that it is actually 3 miles from my childhood home. I hate the elitism that says that hikers are entitled to a WHOLE mountian for their own enjoyment. I have spent many of the most wonderful outdoor adventures of my life on a mountian with a fire and sometimes even a beer and NO, I did not have to hike there to have the right to enjoy it...

Max Patch is entitled to his opinion. I do not need or want his money.

As the author of the journal entry that brought all of this up, I feel I should have a word. First, as someone who was there, I'd like to say that Ms. Janet's account of the evening is 100% accurate. It was one of the most memorable evenings of my life as well. I was trying to capture the joy and POSITIVE spirit of the evening with my trailjournals entry, not provide fodder for internet trolls. I guess I will have to be more careful what I post in the future.

I'd also like to point out that Ms. Janet merely provided the ride. Other hikers who had been hiking with the "riders" for the past few weeks were the ones who bought and brought the beer. Also, as I was the only person there under 21, and I didn't drink, there was no underage drinking as far as I know.

Miss Janet
04-18-2007, 20:56
Thanks Mr. Happy. I am sorry that there was any need for you to defend your journal entry. I think a few more people on Whiteblaze should actually GO hiking!

D'Artagnan
04-19-2007, 10:14
Thanks Mr. Happy. I am sorry that there was any need for you to defend your journal entry. I think a few more people on Whiteblaze should actually GO hiking!

Truer words have never been spoken (or written ;)).

bfitz
04-19-2007, 11:31
If I were camping up there, and hadn't been in on the joke, I'd have been extremely un-amused. :mad:
You're always extremely unamused. The merry pranksters in your high-school must've loved messin with you. Anyhow, beauty spot is a public place and many locals do come up to party there, as well as many hikers. There's no law forbidding it. As for comparisons it's nothing compared to the time a certain drunken hostel owner threatened to shoot me with a shotgun (which I also found extremely amusing, actually).

Wet blanket types beware...The tradition of partying on Beauty Spot after trail days will continue this year. All are invited to come, or warned to stay away, depending....

The Weasel
04-19-2007, 11:59
IF YOU BOYS CANT SAY ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT PEOPLE AND PLACES----THEN SIT RIGHT HERE NEXT TO ME!!!! HAHAHAHAHAAHA----
YOU'ALL SHOULD BEHAVE!!!!

Jack's post that this replies to was from 2002. TWO-OH-OH-TWO!!!

Get a life people. Things that are 5 years old are beyond sniveling. If your life is such that you really need to resurrect ancient history like this, maybe you should go thru hike the San Francisco-Maui Trail. Let me know your start date so I can do a kickoff for you. Literally.

The Weasel.

Jimmers
04-19-2007, 13:15
If your life is such that you really need to resurrect ancient history like this, maybe you should go thru hike the San Francisco-Maui Trail. Let me know your start date so I can do a kickoff for you. Literally.

The Weasel.

Oh, that's good. Very very good. I may steal that.:D

It's also true. What, nothing more recent to snipe about?

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:26
i've talked to lots of hikers that stayed at uncle johnny's this year. nobody had a bad thing to say about him or their stay there. sounds like he's changed his ways. good for him.

StarLyte
04-25-2007, 08:45
i've talked to lots of hikers that stayed at uncle johnny's this year. nobody had a bad thing to say about him or their stay there. sounds like he's changed his ways. good for him.

That's great :sun

Lugnut
04-25-2007, 08:49

Maybe he'll let you come back now! :D

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 09:07
Maybe he'll let you come back now! :D

come back? i've never stayed there. i don't stay at hostels.

Jester2000
04-25-2007, 17:48
Sounds like maybe the old dog's learned some new tricks. Good for him! It would be a shame to waste such a great location on a bad business, and it sounds like he's got things figured out. I hope he does well.

bfitz
04-25-2007, 17:50
He ain't changed. He's just tired.

Overpass
05-03-2007, 17:47
He ain't changed. He's just tired.

Not too tired to snow a reporter apparently:
http://www.vbbeacon.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/04/12/461e5897e4b70?in_archive=1

Rufous Sided Towhee
05-03-2007, 19:22
I've never been to his hostel, but I just now realized that I may have met this Uncle Johnny, on the trail awhile back.

During a section hike, I think it was 4 or maybe 5 years ago, I stopped for lunch at Overmountain Shelter. At one end of the shelter, with stuff spread out, was an man and woman with a half-grown puppy. I don't recall anything about the woman, but the man had a thick torso and, I think, grayish hair and a reddish face. They appeared to be day-hikers.

I selected the far end of the shelter, my dog laid down next to my pack and I began preparing lunch. But as soon as the puppy (it was a shaggy black dog) saw my dog, it started yapping and lunging at her. My dog, btw, was tolerant of other dogs but didn't particularly like them. Besides, she was an older dog and long lunches were her chance to rest and sleep. The couple allowed the barking puppy to rush up and get all in my dog's face. I politely explained to the couple that my dog really didn't care for other dogs, she needed to rest and asked them to please not let the puppy bother my dog. Despite that, they allowed the puppy to repeatedly run up, yipping and hassling my dog. It was extremely obnoxious.

Obviously, it was time to move on, eat lunch somewhere else. As I packed up to leave, the man wanted to know if I was going to Erwin (I wasn't, wrong direction). He seemed pushy and just kinda unpleasant. The puppy kept barking. I don't recall exactly what was said, since I didn't know anything about anyone in Erwin at the time, but it was something along the lines of "better watch where you stay there" and then some derogatory comments about a woman who ran a hostel. Thinking back, I wonder if he had been referring to Miss Janet.

I recall the exchange as just being...negative and the man seemed angry and unhappy. The term "bully" comes to mind. As I left he said something like "I run the hostel there", then he said "my name is John". I recall that clearly.

10 minutes down the Trail I could still hear that damn puppy yapping.

Does this sound like it could have been "Uncle Johnny"?

Blue Jay
05-03-2007, 22:11

No that was a Yeti.

Pirate
05-03-2007, 22:41
Uncle Money got me for a few dollars a while back. I have soon learned my lesson,

Lone Wolf
05-03-2007, 23:16
I've never been to his hostel, but I just now realized that I may have met this Uncle Johnny, on the trail awhile back.

During a section hike, I think it was 4 or maybe 5 years ago, I stopped for lunch at Overmountain Shelter. At one end of the shelter, with stuff spread out, was an man and woman with a half-grown puppy. I don't recall anything about the woman, but the man had a thick torso and, I think, grayish hair and a reddish face. They appeared to be day-hikers.

I selected the far end of the shelter, my dog laid down next to my pack and I began preparing lunch. But as soon as the puppy (it was a shaggy black dog) saw my dog, it started yapping and lunging at her. My dog, btw, was tolerant of other dogs but didn't particularly like them. Besides, she was an older dog and long lunches were her chance to rest and sleep. The couple allowed the barking puppy to rush up and get all in my dog's face. I politely explained to the couple that my dog really didn't care for other dogs, she needed to rest and asked them to please not let the puppy bother my dog. Despite that, they allowed the puppy to repeatedly run up, yipping and hassling my dog. It was extremely obnoxious.

Obviously, it was time to move on, eat lunch somewhere else. As I packed up to leave, the man wanted to know if I was going to Erwin (I wasn't, wrong direction). He seemed pushy and just kinda unpleasant. The puppy kept barking. I don't recall exactly what was said, since I didn't know anything about anyone in Erwin at the time, but it was something along the lines of "better watch where you stay there" and then some derogatory comments about a woman who ran a hostel. Thinking back, I wonder if he had been referring to Miss Janet.

I recall the exchange as just being...negative and the man seemed angry and unhappy. The term "bully" comes to mind. As I left he said something like "I run the hostel there", then he said "my name is John". I recall that clearly.

you and your dog shouldn't have been in a shelter. you're a bungnut regardless

Rufous Sided Towhee
05-03-2007, 23:48
No that was a Yeti.

Or a Yogi, perhaps, lol. Oh wait, it was some kinda shaggy frizzy thing, not a bluetick. :D

Lugnut
05-04-2007, 00:11
The real Yeti would have never acted that way and his dog savanna is better educated. :)

bfitz
05-04-2007, 18:49
http://www.vbbeacon.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2007/04/12/461e5897e4b70?in_archive=1

That's some funny **** right there....hos[itality? The guy is as surly as ever, and still regularly tell hikers that other hostels and lodging in town are full and they need to stay at his place. The man is a punk, straight up.

mweinstone
05-04-2007, 19:41
i stop on the embankment and eat lunch when there out doing yard work. they know you hate them if you do that. they think to there grinchly selves, why dosent he use our picknik tables? they know why. they think,....what? no cold drink? nope. you will never pull one copper penny from my cold dry hand.

mweinstone
05-04-2007, 19:44
the enimys of my friends are my enimys. the friends of my friends are my friends.

Lone Wolf
05-05-2007, 11:00
That's some funny **** right there....hos[itality? The guy is as surly as ever, and still regularly tell hikers that other hostels and lodging in town are full and they need to stay at his place. The man is a punk, straight up.

when was the last time you were at johnny's

bfitz
05-05-2007, 11:10
Yesterday.

bfitz
05-05-2007, 11:13
I don't make this stuff up. Certain folks need to hang flyers to counter his claims that town is full and he has the only space left. Some people are diplomatic and decent. Not him.

Overpass
05-24-2007, 10:47

So WAS that Uncle Johhny? Does/did he own an ill-behaved shaggy black dog?

sherrill
05-24-2007, 11:33
Another reason why they choose to hike in Unicoi County is that the county doesn't require them to purchase a hiking permit

(From the article)

I've never purchased a hiking permit in any county. Am I a fugitive? :p

John B
05-24-2007, 12:41
I stayed at Uncle Johnny's hostel on Sunday, May 13. I thought the hostel was great -- bunk room was clean and in order, the showers were spotless, the price was very reasonable. If anyone needed to replace a pump or a cannister of gas or whatever, there was a good selection of commonly needed gear for sale. A free shuttle was provided in the afternoon for resupply and dinner. If you wanted to get to town earlier or spend more time there, free bicycles were provided. A couple of thruhikers took a zero there and spent the day rafting, and they said they really enjoyed it.

I got a carry-out dinner, brought it back to the hostel and ate and talked with Uncle Johnny and Deborah (I'm not 100% on the lady's name -- sorry). They were both very nice people. I told them that I'd be hiking out about 7:00 the next morning, and they said they'd be sure to have the coffee done so I could have a cup before I left. They did.

I really liked Uncle Johnny's Hostel and would highly recommend it.

bfitz
05-30-2007, 15:12
It took many complaints from many hikers to get him removed from the guidebook. However he was polite and decent to me recently. He must have been sober. If he's making an effort to be like that the hostel should be a great place to stay. Unfortunately I also saw plenty of lying to hikers about the available lodging in town, and other typical Uncle Johnny BS while I was in Erwin. He hasn't threatened anyone with an axe or shotgun (like he did me in 03) this year though, so that's an improvement.

Flyingfishman
08-07-2007, 11:24
From what I gather from reading these threads...I have come to this conclusion. Miss Janet used to do shuttle work for Uncle Johnny. She decides to open up her own hostel. Johnny gets pissed and talks trash about her. Is that right? If so I understand. That does not mean that I condone it. I do understand investing thousands of dollars to open up a business (yes, this is a business and not a social service organization) to fill a void. Then an employee, whom you gave an opportunity, stabs you in the back and opens up a business providing the same service. From what I have read I am sure that was not Miss Janet's intention. It would however appear that way to Johnny. How do I understand this? It happened to my family's business. We felt betrayed and I'm sure Johnny feels the same. So, I won't judge him for that. Nor will I point an accusing finger at Miss Janet. Erwin does not get the hiker traffic as say a Dick's Creek Gap, or a Davenport Gap. Too many hikers drop out way before Erwin. It’s tough to keep up a business with another competitor in town. I hope neither gets discouraged and closes up shop. We Hikers need and depend on these businesses.
I hope to do another section in December from Hot Springs to Erwin. I'll stay somewhere in Erwin 1 night and get a shuttle to Hot Springs. It won't be a zero day it will just be a night's stay and a ride. I'll be more concerned as to who will provide me with what I need for a fair price and is dependable and that's all.

Blue Jay
08-07-2007, 15:06
He hasn't threatened anyone with an axe or shotgun (like he did me in 03) this year though, so that's an improvement.

No, that's not an improvement. It only shows his ability to suffer fools has increased. Johnny is an addition to the color and variability of the AT. You want cookie cutter lodgings and fake good will take a car anywhere in America. In addition, he makes Miss Janet seem more like a saint than she already is.

Pedaling Fool
08-07-2007, 17:37
I stayed at Uncle Johnny's hostel on Sunday, May 13. I thought the hostel was great -- bunk room was clean and in order, the showers were spotless, the price was very reasonable. If anyone needed to replace a pump or a cannister of gas or whatever, there was a good selection of commonly needed gear for sale. A free shuttle was provided in the afternoon for resupply and dinner. If you wanted to get to town earlier or spend more time there, free bicycles were provided. A couple of thruhikers took a zero there and spent the day rafting, and they said they really enjoyed it.

I got a carry-out dinner, brought it back to the hostel and ate and talked with Uncle Johnny and Deborah (I'm not 100% on the lady's name -- sorry). They were both very nice people. I told them that I'd be hiking out about 7:00 the next morning, and they said they'd be sure to have the coffee done so I could have a cup before I left. They did.

I really liked Uncle Johnny's Hostel and would highly recommend it.
Same here.

P.S. I zeroed there on the 10th of May.

Jim Adams
08-07-2007, 18:51
This is just MY opinion but until Janet finds a new place (hopefully in Erwin) I would simply bypass that town. It's a shame to feel this way but UJ caused those feelings much more than Janet ever did!

geek

Lilred
08-08-2007, 00:56
Sure would be a shame to miss Erwin. What was the name of the restaurant with that huge burger? The Elms??? Anyhow, it was big around as a pizza. One hiker ate the whole thing, with fries. The restaurant gave it to him for free.
I think Erwin is a great trail town, and with U.J's just a step off the trail, it seems silly not to stop.

bulldog49
08-08-2007, 10:36
Sounds to me like the perfect solution would be for Miss Janet to buy out Uncle Johnny. I really like his set-up there right on the trail with resupply items readily available.

SawnieRobertson
08-08-2007, 14:31
I do not think that Janet was Uncle Johnny's employee. Perhaps she can clear this up, but as I recall, she was simply someone he would contact to give hikers rides. I paid her, not him. And, frankly, I just don't think that Janet would behave as described.--Kinnickinic

Miss Janet
08-08-2007, 16:17
Wow.

It must be a slow day for whiteblaze... nothing or no one to bash? too hot to go hiking?

But because I was asked provately to clear this up I will make a few statements.

I was NEVER an employee of John Shores. I was employeed by the Holiday Inn Express when he arrived in Erwin. There, I was the "go to" person for hikers that were staying at the hotel. For many years before that I frequently helped hikers that were staying at the Nolichucky Gorge Campground and the Best Southern Motel. When Uncle Johnny opened his place I was happy to help him learn about the hiking community and I was excited to help put his place together. As a FRIEND. Not an employee. For nearly three years we worked very hard to make a special place for hikers. A lot of my blood, sweat and tears went into the Nolichucky Hostel during those years.

John and I were friends for a few years but our personality differences made it difficult to remain friends. Those years saw the numbers of AT hikers attempting to do the entire trail more than double. There was more business than John could handle and I was often letting hikers stay in my home. Slowly, the idea of having a Bed and Breakfast for hikers began to form.

By the time I bought my house in the winter of 2001, John and I were not friends at all. I never really looked at Miss Janet's House as competition for Uncle Johnny. He had a campground liscense, a bunkhouse, cabins and a boating and group business. He could accomodate 30 or more guests and was often full and turning hikers away. My house was designed for 8-10 hikers. Period. No boaters, no groups, no camping. Miss Janet's House was simply a way for me to make a living helping people I really enjoyedand raise my girls in a nice setting. Of course, John never saw it that way and we had some difficult years.

The important thing for people to try to remember is that all of this is IN THE PAST!!!! The last few years in Erwin have been fairly peaceful and without the rancor of those first years. Can we please leave it that way??

Miss Janet
08-08-2007, 16:19
I really did go over to that college.... but dang it I can't spell!!!!

thestin
08-08-2007, 16:34
Miss Janet, thanks for clearing this up, and doing so in a gracious manner. Glad things are peaceful in Erwin.

Anything new on your future plans?

digger51
08-09-2007, 10:39
Miss Janet...as you said, in the 2001 time when I stayed at UJ's there was considerable animosity directed toward you from Uncle Johnny and the story he told me was that you were a disloyal employee. But, as you say that is in the past for you two and I am happy that you guys get along now. However, that was only a small fraction of the things I observed Johnny doing that caused me to decide to never stay there again. I was hoping to visit your place when I go through next year, but if you aren't up and running yet there are plenty of good motels to overnight in while I do a quick resupply. Erwin is a nice little town and hikers should take a few hours to see some of it. I hope all goes well with your new endeavour as you are one of those gems the hikers need to experience.

Miss Janet
08-25-2007, 00:04

I thought this article looked familiar.....

I wonder why they reprinted an article in a Newspaper? That is weird

Miss Janet
08-25-2007, 00:06
Well, it didn't show the original date in my post but the article was talked about in a thread back in May of this year.

Pootz
10-17-2007, 15:13
I thru hiked in 07 and found Uncle Johnny's to be one of the best places I stayed on the trail. He has everything a hiker could want and more. He is the only outfitter in Irwin. His staff could not have been more helpfull. 3 or 4 dollars to have your laundry done for you. It even comes back folded. If you split a cabin 2 way it is only 15.00 per person and one of you gets a double bed.

I would recommend that you hike the trail and form your own opinions about the places and people along the way. If I had listened to all of the rumors about the trail I would have missed out on some of my best experiences. Most of the rumors and false or based on one persons experience. Some of the most highly recomended places were the worst.

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2007, 17:10
I'd be curious as to which of the highly recommended places you considered the "worst."

I also dispute the contention that ill feeling or ill will towards a place is based on just one's person's experience. When the reputation of a Trail business suffers, it is NOT always because of "rumor" and it is very seldom due to just one unhappy person's complaint. Usually, a place's good name suffers after MANY people have gone public with complaints, and the complaints are universally acknowledged to have merit.

I'm glad you had a good time in Erwin, and I've no doubt that many other folks could eport the ame good news, but to imply that this place's reputation in the past was due only to "rumor" or based on just one person's experience is simply untrue.

Tabasco
10-17-2007, 17:24
I spoke to Johnny about 30 minutes ago when I had to cancel an arranged shuttle that was scheduled for tomorrow from Erwin to Devils Fork Gap. He could not have been any nicer or more gracious when I told him I had to cancel. I've spoken to other WB'ers who have had similar experiences with Uncle Johnny's. I look forward to the day that I actually get to go there.

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2007, 17:27
Like I said above Tabasco, many other folks have reported similarly, and I certainly hope this continues in the future.

Tabasco
10-17-2007, 17:54
Jack:

Is there a reason you feel the need to get in the last word on a thread? I reported my experiences with him, and you come back with that one line retort. There is no need for your reply, other than to up your post count.

So in that spirit, up yours!

Jack Tarlin
10-17-2007, 18:03
Jesus, Tabasco, lighten up for Chrissakes.

My intent was not to get "the last word." But this place has been discussed a lot at Whiteblaze recently. A well-known poster recently stated (falsely) that all of the troubles at this place were due to me and one other hiker spreading untrue stories about the place.

The intent of my recent comments was pretty clear: Despite the fact that there have been problems with this place in the past, a lot of folks have reported having had a fine time here, and that I hope this continues in the future.

You're reading way too much into my comments, and need to seriosuly lighten up.

Yes indeed, you reported what had happened to you at this place.

And all I did was agree with you that many folks have similar stories to tell, which is a good thing, and that I hope it continues that way in the future.

How you can get so upset by my comments kind of amazes me.

But if you wanna reply to this and have "the last word" on this subject, have at it. I'm kind of sorry I said anything at this point. Seems to me I get razzed if I say something negative about this place and I get razzed again if I try and say something positive.

Kind of a no-win situation so I'm outta here.

Tabasco
10-17-2007, 18:06
Plus one on the old post counter

Lilred
10-17-2007, 19:43
Plus one on the old post counter

Geez tobasco, talk about unnecessary posts. I'll second the suggestion to lighten up. We don't need this negativity. I was humbled not too long on here, perhaps it's your turn now.

Jack, post all you want. I enjoy reading your perspective on things. Petty little positions like tobasco's only makes him look bad.

The Weasel
10-17-2007, 20:12
Tabasco --

However much others may feel, you got the same right to post here as anyone. Say anything you want, and don't worry about being told to 'lighten up.' Usually those who point their finger that way forget that they have three fingers, more or less, pointing back at themselves.

This is WhiteBlaze. Be as positive or negative as you want to be, and don't worry about which it is.

TW

the goat
10-18-2007, 09:25
This is WhiteBlaze. Be as positive or negative as you want to be, and don't worry about which it is.

does this mean your crybaby crusade against negative posting is officially over?:D

earlyriser26
10-18-2007, 09:51
I have hiked through Erwin several times and have always used Uncle Johnny's. I'm sure Miss J. is great, but Uncle Johnny's is right on the trail. I've gotten 3 shuttles from his place and found that they were always right on time and very nice. I've never spent the night there since I can afford the Holiday Inn Express just down the road. I thought there prices were reasonable and was very happy to have this service available right on the trail. I'm always surprised that the ALDH does not even list Uncle Johnny's in the Companion. Let hikers decide if they want to use this service. Don't pretend they don't exist. Last year I also tried the Laurel Creek lodge vs. the Kincora and found it to be OK too, but now I know why they rerouted the trail away from Coon Den Falls (Trail is a killer on rainy days, staight down, fell a dozen times). I've found over the years that both hikers and businesses can cause problems. Unless Uncle Johnny and his co-workers are a bunch of Dr. Jeckles and Mr. Hydes I think people need to not be so down on the place.

the goat
10-18-2007, 09:57
Unless Uncle Johnny and his co-workers are a bunch of Dr. Jeckles and Mr. Hydes I think people need to not be so down on the place.

i think you hit the nail on the head.

warren doyle
10-18-2007, 13:05
Like the previous poster, I also feel Uncle Johnny's should be listed in the ALDHA companion. It would be nice if this organization can move away from being influenced by the 'bully' faction that has come to reside in the long distance hiking subculture.

Jack Tarlin
10-18-2007, 13:14
His de-listing has been explained to you more than once, Mr. Doyle.

It came about as a direct result of a multitude of serious complaints registered by both ATC and ALDHA, and these were registered over the space of many years. In many cases, these complaints included lengthy signed letters detailing the particular complaints and problems.

For you to be decrying that a "bully" faction was responsible for this de-listing is simply untrue. You've been told this several times in the past, yet you persist in saying otherwise.

No one is well served here by the repeated retelling of falsehoods, Mr. Doyle, and I really wish you'd give it a rest.

Your post above (#149) is merely perpetuating lies.

Incidentally, just before the ALDHA Gathering, I mentioned here on Whiteblaze that if Mr. Doyle were truly interested in learning more of the facts on this matter, then all he need do was to find me in Gettysburg, and I'd be happy to fill him in on some of the details. I saw him there several times, and he no doubt saw me as well. It's pretty obvious then, that he's NOT interested in what the actual facts were regarding this matter, but is more interested in spreading lies, exaggerations, inuendo, and falsehoods.

I wish he'd cut it out.

Now he'll come garruphing back here, squaling "Garbage!!"

What's garbage, Mr. Doyle, is your continual and deliberate effort to distort the truth on this subject.

warren doyle
10-18-2007, 13:26
Bingo!!....

Lone Wolf
10-18-2007, 13:26
so if the bad guy is still working for MRO next year i will feel free to de-list them since i'm the editor for Damascus. that would be cool?

Johnny Thunder
10-18-2007, 13:31
Hey, why not give UJ and MRO the choice?

Either they get no listing or the get a listing with an asterisk. *

* This post may have been written while using steroids.

Lugnut
10-18-2007, 17:00
Wouldn't getting Wally a job at Uncle Johnny's solve the problem?

Tin Man
10-18-2007, 17:30
From the posts regarding recent experiences at UJ's, it would appear that people are finding UJ's regardless of any delisting with ALDHA. Does the listing mean that much in practice versus the trail network?

SGT Rock
10-18-2007, 17:32
It is hard not to find it considering it is across the street from where you come out at Erwin. The main thing is it sort of makes the Companion look a little silly to leave out a place that is obviously going to be seen by every hiker coming through.

weary
10-18-2007, 17:52
It is hard not to find it considering it is across the street from where you come out at Erwin. The main thing is it sort of makes the Companion look a little silly to leave out a place that is obviously going to be seen by every hiker coming through.
And is praised by many who stay there. My advice would be to list it again, perhaps with a note pointing out that some hikers praise it highly while others say they have had unpleasant experiences there.

It sounds to me like Uncle Johnny has improved his act in response to the strong criticism.

Weary

Marta
10-18-2007, 18:07
IMO, the problem with de-listing a resource because it has been the target of complaints, is that that would lead one to think that everything that is listed gets some sort of implicit endorsement. If a guide wants to be comprehensive, it should list ALL the resources that cater to hikers. I like the way Yogi's guides handle controversial places. Then there's the Michelin Guide strategy of rating resources with stars. I think one of the reasons people like Wingfoot's guide is that he does a bare-bones rating, listing resources by length of time they've been serving hikers, and providing a bit more gossipy information about them.

It is especially ludicrous not to list Uncle Johnny's since it is right there next to the Trail, and has an outfitter shop as part of the business.

Tin Man
10-18-2007, 18:33
It sounds to me like Uncle Johnny has improved his act in response to the strong criticism.
Weary

Maybe he has regarding service at his hostel. However, Ms. Janet reported that he visciously opposed her opening a new location. [see posts #12 and #14 in Erwin Hiking Center Update thread started 8-17-2007 by Miss Janet]
I have never been to Erwin or met Miss Janet or UJ and my only exposure to either is through WB. While I believe people can change their ways and maybe he has towards his customers, but his continuing attitude and treatment of Miss Janet begs more questions than I think he can provide answers. For this reason along with some of his past transgressions, I can tell you I will not stay at Uncle Johnny's when I do make it through that section and I will not patronize his re-supply store regardless of how convenient it is. Everyone is free to make their own judgements - I am merely sharing my own.

swift
10-19-2007, 00:49
Wouldn't getting Wally a job at Uncle Johnny's solve the problem?

hahahahahahaha!

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 01:16
It is especially ludicrous not to list Uncle Johnny's since it is right there next to the Trail, and has an outfitter shop as part of the business.

I don't think it's ludicrous at all considering some of his past behavior.

If he can go three years without being abusive to hikers he should probably be relisted. If he stole people's wallets and had been caught several times (hypothetical, I'm not saying he's done that), do you think he should still be listed? What if he yelled at you and was abusive? What if he was really nasty to a lot of people? What if he ran a shuttle service and half the time he never showed? There is no behavior that you think should result in delisting? What about employees who use racial or ethnic slurs when speaking to customers?

Service providers shouldn't get a free pass to be listed in a guidebook like they get to be in the yellow pages.

And his location or type of service has NOTHING to do with anything.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 07:30
I disagree there. If there is an issue then simply not listing him is not going to help hikers.

See, I'm operating off the assumption the Companion is to help the long distance hiker with completing their hike by telling them about the services on the trail and such. Maybe I'm wrong.

So back to my point. If you can tell people in your guide they ought to take the ferry because of problems fording, and you can tell them they can't bring their dog through the Smokies, and you can tell them other good things to know - then telling them about uncle johnnies with a small blurb about "Numerous complaints in 2006" at least passes on the message, but buyer beware. To simply not list a place leaves the average muldoon that there is an issue with playing favorites (as has been suggested - see, that possibility is real) or simply poor research. De-listing a place that is right on the AT in Erwin is not going to stop hikers from finding the place.

Another whole thought on this is one we kicked around a while back and could be tied into the endangered service campaign. If a place wants to get a little ALDHA hiker guy symbol shown next to their listing in the Companion which denotes them as a "hiker friendly" place - then they have to ask and meet certain expectations. If a place has a history of poor service or abusive employees they can loose their "hiker friendly" status.

Alligator
10-19-2007, 07:39
In order to have a ratings system, a ratings tool needs to be developed and agreed on. Then that information needs to be collected, and needs to be collected fairly for all the businesses. There's extra work involved in that.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 07:46
I don't think it needs to be a rating system - that is not exactly what I am advocating.

For example - a hotel that offers special hiker rates could be considerd a hiker friendly. A resturaunt that offers AYCE or special large hiker meals could be rated hiker friendly. An outfitter that accepts mail drops and sells fuels by the ouce could be considered hiker friendly. Hostels for hikers would get an automatic assumption of being hiker friendly.

Now take that and lets say an outfitter or shuttle provider gets a rep for having a hostile racist working there or a hotel starts allowing theives to work there (I have had this issue on work trips) and do nothing to resolve the issue - they can lose their status.

Here is the benifit. Say I roll into Erwin and the Holiday Inn Express which is about 1 mile from the trail is listed as hiker friendly but UJ is not though he is righ by the trail - well folks will look for the places more likely to be hiker fiendly than the places that are not. It means there will be a propensity of hikers trying to use them over other places. If a hotel doesn't like hikers on the other hand, then they will not seek this for their place of business.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 07:48
I agree that it would be ideal to label "bad" businesses but the fear of being sued probably caused that idea to be nixed.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 07:51
I never said label it bad. If you have gotten numerous complaints, then saying that is not libel. You never actually accuse him of anything nor do you have to substantiate anything other than the fact that there have been numerous complaints. That allows the hiker to know there are issues and make up their own mind about the service in the first place.

De listing him won't stop hikers from finding him. Better to know than to not know and assume.

Alligator
10-19-2007, 08:05
It's a very basic two category rating, positive or neutral for hikers. I think it's just semantics, as you appear to be steering away from a more subjective and/or complex rating system.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 08:08
Yes basically I am..

It would be more of a critera system.

1. Does the vendor want to be listed as a hiker friendly service: Yes / No

2. If the vendor is a resturaunt, do they have AYCE or other hiker friendly portions? Yes / No

3. If the vendor is a hotel, do they offer hiker rates that are below normal rates: Yex / No

4. If the vendor is a outfitter, do they accept mail drops and sell fuel by the ounce: Yes / No.

That sort of thing.

Alligator
10-19-2007, 08:15
And I suspect you don't want to worry about deciding whether the proprietor's smile was a full 180 degree arc or not and whether every hiker had their butt wiped properly for them:D.

Alligator
10-19-2007, 08:16
And I suspect you don't want to worry about deciding whether the proprietor's smile was a full 180 degree arc or not and whether every hiker had their butt wiped properly for them:D.That would be like a six roll of toilet paper rating or the MS stamp of approval LOL.

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 08:17
I never said label it bad. If you have gotten numerous complaints, then saying that is not libel. You never actually accuse him of anything nor do you have to substantiate anything other than the fact that there have been numerous complaints. That allows the hiker to know there are issues and make up their own mind about the service in the first place.

De listing him won't stop hikers from finding him. Better to know than to not know and assume.

Oh, I meant label "bad" businesses, not label businesses as "bad".

You need to know something of the nature of the complaints. Are the french fries not very crispy sometimes or is the owner verbally abusive? All service providers have been criticized in some form or another.

One nice thing about the internet is that a site owner can avoid responsibility for what its users do--witness eBay, the word's largest fencing and conterfeit-goods operation.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 08:18
Nope. Rainbow Springs would have been hiker friendly although they were not kissing hiker ass. Of course the Crossmans could have asked not to be listed as hiker friendly.

On the other end, if a place wants to be listed as hiker friendly they can lose it if there are enough problems. Since the editors for these towns usually live there or near there (like LWolf is the editor for Damascus) then he could be the one to decide MRO is pissing off enough folks and not doing anything about it.

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 08:20
Oh, I meant label "bad" businesses, not label businesses as "bad".

You need to know something of the nature of the complaints. Are the french fries not very crispy sometimes or is the owner verbally abusive? All service providers have been criticized in some form or another.

One nice thing about the internet is that a site owner can avoid responsibility for what its users do--witness eBay, the word's largest fencing and conterfeit-goods operation.
Sure. And there would always have to be an allowance for Snivel factor. So three guys complained that Ms Janet didn't have ketchup in her fridge. Get over it.

A few repeat complaints about stolen gear at a hostel or drunk driving by a shuttle providor though is a little more serious and is above the snivel level.

Tin Man
10-19-2007, 08:47
The hiker friendly system sounds like a good idea. It should be noted the rating is really only good when the ink hits the press (or when it is decided to include the rating). Anything can happen immediately afterwards, e.g. change of ownership, new hire, key hiker-friendly personnel leave, etc.

Marta
10-19-2007, 08:54
A "hiker-oriented? Y or N? Lots of complaints?" rating system is not exactly rocket science. Wingfoot's and Yogi's guides already do it.

Alligator
10-19-2007, 08:58
I know it's being considered to be positive and all, but can't we have something like the ignobels, maybe the Orange Trowel Award? Given to a place that really needs to clean up their act.

generoll
10-19-2007, 09:28
Any rating is subjective and in my opinion unneccessary. I know I'll get flamed for this, but take Standing Bear Farm and compare it to say Elmers. How would you rate those two objectively? One is a house with indoor plumbing and meals available with showers and modern plumbing and beds with linens and central heat. The other is a bunkhouse with a privy, wooden bunks and a wood burning stove assuming you have sufficient intelligence to gather some wood and build a fire and a very rustic shower system. I've stayed in both, enjoyed my stay in both, would stay in either one again if the situation allowed it, and read complaints against both.

They are both generally well regarded by hikers and yet they are different in services provided and amenities. Trying to rate them objectively is challenging to say the least. I think you would do better to just list their location and known services offered and let word of mouth handle the rating system.

Tin Man
10-19-2007, 11:10
Keep in mind that even the most consistently best rated service provider can have a bad day.

Cookerhiker
10-19-2007, 11:17
Any rating is subjective and in my opinion unneccessary. I know I'll get flamed for this, but take Standing Bear Farm and compare it to say Elmers. How would you rate those two objectively? One is a house with indoor plumbing and meals available with showers and modern plumbing and beds with linens and central heat. The other is a bunkhouse with a privy, wooden bunks and a wood burning stove assuming you have sufficient intelligence to gather some wood and build a fire and a very rustic shower system. I've stayed in both, enjoyed my stay in both, would stay in either one again if the situation allowed it, and read complaints against both.

They are both generally well regarded by hikers and yet they are different in services provided and amenities. Trying to rate them objectively is challenging to say the least. I think you would do better to just list their location and known services offered and let word of mouth handle the rating system.

Makes sense - I agree.

Marta
10-19-2007, 11:33
The sort of rating system I'm talking about is not that complicated. For example, there are lots of motels along the Trail, only some of which have special packages for hikers--shuttles, and so on. The ones that have special packages for hikers get the little hiker silhouette, or star, or whatever, while the others don't.

Yeah, if every single complaint against every single business or individual were taken into account, there wouldn't be anything listed in the guide book. Perhaps an online survey of service, with a 1-5 scoring system, would be the most impartial. 1 is "exceptional," 3 is "as advertised, reasonable value for money," and 5 is "avoid this place." If a business gets an average score greater than 4, a cautionary asterisk (or skull and crossbones) should go next to their entry.

The Weasel
10-19-2007, 11:44
does this mean your crybaby crusade against negative posting is officially over?:D

Goat - I copied the above because it is just pathetic to see flames started like you just did. That's called trolling, and no, I haven't stopped being against that. But you think that is more fun than posting about hiking, the trail, or any other topic - this ones about Uncle Johnny's, in case you forgot - and if that's what's important to you, go ahead. It speaks for itself.

TW

The Weasel
10-19-2007, 11:56
I stayed at Uncle Johnny's on five different occasions, using the bunkhouse, a cabin, tenting and leaving a vehicle, as well as getting his help for a rafting trip down the river. On every occasions, everyone (including John) was nice and very helpful, including on one occasion when I was laid up a few days with tendinitis.

I don't doubt that several people have had problems, although I don't have any personal knowledge. I do know that sometimes some people have problems at some places that others don't, and it may be possible that some people have been so offended that they have waged crusades against a service provider when the problem they were concerned about may not have been as bad as they thought, or may have been corrected. That can make a bad, but temporary, situation, seem even worse.

What can make even beyond that is that people here may be hurting others, as well. I suspect that John has at least some disappointment at being delisted by ALDHA, particulary since a lot of those who seem unhappy with him also seem to be strong supporters of Miss Janet. It's not impossible that he may feel that he is being attacked because he isn't Miss Janet, and that she is a reason for the attacks. If so, that's an example of "the law of unintended consequences," i.e. that people may be hurting Janet's future by the constant criticism of John.

There is room, I think, in Erwin for more than one hostel, and room for different types, and I wish both John and Janet well. When they err, I hope that they are told, and yes, there will be times when they screw up majestically, and 'trail talk' will lambaste them for it. (If it hasn't happened with Janet yet, it will. It happens, right or wrong, to everyone in business.)

But perhaps it's time to stop beating up on "Uncle Johnny." Maybe it's not good for the trail to blacklist him, unlike almost everyone else who has problems from time to time.

TW

Johnny Thunder
10-19-2007, 12:08
Goat - I copied the above because it is just pathetic to see flames started like you just did. That's called trolling, and no, I haven't stopped being against that. But you think that is more fun than posting about hiking, the trail, or any other topic - this ones about Uncle Johnny's, in case you forgot - and if that's what's important to you, go ahead. It speaks for itself.

TW

Weaz.

Read. Step away from the computer. Think. Type. Post.

Lugnut
10-19-2007, 12:40
If I was the average hiker coming down into Erwin and ran right into Uncle Johnny's, not aware it was there because my 'Companion' chose not to list it, then I would question the accuracy of the entire book. What else did the miss?

weary
10-19-2007, 12:40
Read. Step away from the computer. Think. Type. Post.
Great advice. Try it sometime.

the goat
10-19-2007, 12:49

weasel- i copied the above because it is just pathetic to see that you can't take your own advice.

and btw, i post plenty a/b hiking, trail and other topics - i even posted about uncle johnny's, in case you forgot.

lighten up, big boy! you can't see how funny it is that you're encouraging negative posting 2 weeks after you started entire threads whining a/b the same?

Miss Janet
10-19-2007, 12:57
They moment I was told that the Companion was not going to list Nolichuckey Hostel I nearly passed out. My first fear was that UJ would actually kill me. This may sound a little overly dramatic but YOU can not understand how I felt and none of you know how much he disliked me back then. None of you can understand what we personally went through for several years. There were MANY witnesses to MANY episodes that seem ludicrous to even the most hardened ole hiker. The things that happened to other hikers were pretty well documented and repeated and perpetuated. That was some time ago. Those instances were really frustratingly BAD and there was a feeling that something should be done about it. I understood ALDHA felt very strongly about the "delisting" at the time. IT really did make things worse for me for a long time. AGAIN, this was several years ago.

With that said...

I believe his BUSINESS should be relisted under these circumstances:

*Most negative instances are several years old.

*His health related problems seem to have improved in many ways.

*He has a good staff of individuals around him that do a very good job.

*Thousands of individuals have stayed there and used his services with no complaints in a long time. He provides a good service that has many return customers.

*Considering the unknown status of my hostel relocation; hikers need the information of what is available in Erwin. If I have solid update information it can be included in the online updates when the time comes.

IN MY OPINION A RATING SYSTEM WOULD BE VERY DIFFICULT AND WOULD BE UNFAIR BECAUSE IT WOULD ALWAYS REFLECT A SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLES OPINIONS. Indicating a restaurant as "hiker friendly" because it has an AYCE and not giving this "sticker" to another restaurant that is GREAT and very HIKER FRIENDLY... but doesn't have an AYCE... it is too much a matter of opinion.
ALDHA should provide the basic information on all services that would be of interest to hikers.

"It's not impossible that he may feel that he is being attacked because he isn't Miss Janet, and that she is a reason for the attacks. If so, that's an example of "the law of unintended consequences," i.e. that people may be hurting Janet's future by the constant criticism of John."

Thank you, this is true to some extent. I am sick to death of HOSTEL WARS and I would love to forget the negative stuff from the past years and enjoy the many, many more wonderful, POSITIVE memories and continue to work towards a new place to create even more happy memories!

The Weasel
10-19-2007, 13:07
Janet: I'm hardly surprised by the kindness in what you have written. Perhaps you might let ALDHA (and even John) know your thoughts, and perhaps others might help you, and the Trail, by joining in them, if they feel they can, and by taking a time-out at least from Johnny-bashing, if they can't.

TW

Johnny Thunder
10-19-2007, 13:27
Great advice. Try it sometime.

Huh...you've got me a bit confused here. I mean, I've been called Easily Amused before. But, easily confused?

Johnny Thunder
10-19-2007, 13:28
Huh...you've got me a bit confused here. I mean, I've been called Easily Amused before. But, easily confused?

That's enough Vassar bashing for one episode.

Peaks
10-19-2007, 16:40
I'd like to see UJ listed in the Companion, and elsewhere. Being right on the trail, his business is hard to miss. However, it would be with a cautionary note: In the past there have been numerous complaints from thru-hikers about the proprietor.

Lugnut
10-19-2007, 18:18
It would really be good if we all took the high road with Ms Janet. :)

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 18:23
IN MY OPINION A RATING SYSTEM WOULD BE VERY DIFFICULT AND WOULD BE UNFAIR BECAUSE IT WOULD ALWAYS REFLECT A SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLES OPINIONS. Indicating a restaurant as "hiker friendly" because it has an AYCE and not giving this "sticker" to another restaurant that is GREAT and very HIKER FRIENDLY... but doesn't have an AYCE... it is too much a matter of opinion.
ALDHA should provide the basic information on all services that would be of interest to hikers.
The AYCE was only an example of an objective way to rate a place as hiker friendly. I think subjectiveness should be out of the guide altogether as well. That is why a criteria of what is "hiker friendly" should be established because that term in itself is subjective. I would have considered Rainbow Springs Hiker Friendly because of what the offered hikers, not how it is offered.

And I agree with you about UJs. Enough is enough. Time to forgive and forget.

Tin Man
10-19-2007, 18:30
And I agree with you about UJs. Enough is enough. Time to forgive and forget.

Ah, perhaps it is time to include UJ in the companion. However, it seems he does not forgive/forget - his negativity toward Ms. Janet appears to continue. [see posts #12 and #14 in Erwin Hiking Center Update thread started 8-17-2007 by Miss Janet]

SGT Rock
10-19-2007, 18:31
I saw 'em.

Tin Man
10-19-2007, 18:38
Just checking. :D

Taking the high road is always the best road.

Miss Janet
10-19-2007, 19:31
I recently had a visit (probably secret) from his nice wife Charlotte. She and I had a good conversation and were even able to joke a little about some of the troubles of the past. I told her how disappointed I was that he attended the city council meeting a few weeks ago seemingly to try to hurt me. She really sounded disappointed in him for doing so and said she had refused to attend. The thing we agreed on was that UJ would NEVER forgive me for the wrongs he imagines. And that his anger towards me might be what has kept him going all these years! It seems like I heard the same thing about Mr. Shaw's feeling towards the Pie Lady... and he lived to a nice ripe age!

But, whether it is the high road or not, I hope we can all do two things.

1. Accept that yes, he did do some horrible things to others in the past and maybe even caused some real damage to the AT community as a whole... whether or not YOU as an individual ever actually witnessed an episode doesn't mean it didn't happen. Everyone can make big mistakes and everyone can change.

and

2. Now let it go and lets spend energy on something positive... Let Karma take care of it. His being included in the Companion is right thing to do and does not endorse his business anymore that it "endorses" the local post office. It is just information that hikers need.

The Weasel
10-19-2007, 19:45
And, perhaps, if people let it go - as Janet has - it may make her life, and life on the trail, better. It has long been said, "Living well is the best revenge." This is a good opportunity to test that adage.

TW

Appalachian Tater
10-19-2007, 19:49
Miss Janet has begged several times over the last year or more for the whole overlap between the topics of "Uncle Johnny" and "Miss Janet" to be avoided and we haven't done it.

Nightwalker
10-19-2007, 21:20
Thank you, this is true to some extent. I am sick to death of HOSTEL WARS and I would love to forget the negative stuff from the past years and enjoy the many, many more wonderful, POSITIVE memories and continue to work towards a new place to create even more happy memories!

Thank you Janet. That's the best post I've seen in awhile.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 22:49
It would really be good if we all took the high road with Ms Janet. :)

why? she's a great lady but you can't pitch a tent there. i don't sleep in dirty bunk rooms. johnny offers tenting. and i ain't just targeting janet's ALL hostel bunkrooms are dirty and funky during hiker season.

chief
10-19-2007, 22:54
Miss Janet has begged several times over the last year or more for the whole overlap between the topics of "Uncle Johnny" and "Miss Janet" to be avoided and we haven't done it.Nor has she.

Lugnut
10-19-2007, 23:28
why? she's a great lady but you can't pitch a tent there. i don't sleep in dirty bunk rooms. johnny offers tenting

Not sure what you are trying to say. I was talking about Janet being magnanimous in her attitude toward UJ. Besides, you said you didn't get along with UJ so whatcha doing camped in his backyard? :D

Lone Wolf
10-19-2007, 23:35
Not sure what you are trying to say. I was talking about Janet being magnanimous in her attitude toward UJ. Besides, you said you didn't get along with UJ so whatcha doing camped in his backyard? :D

never camped in his yard. but one could at his place. an option not at Janet's.

chief
10-19-2007, 23:35
I recently had a visit (probably secret) from his nice wife Charlotte. She and I had a good conversation and were even able to joke a little about some of the troubles of the past. I told her how disappointed I was that he attended the city council meeting a few weeks ago seemingly to try to hurt me. She really sounded disappointed in him for doing so and said she had refused to attend. The thing we agreed on was that UJ would NEVER forgive me for the wrongs he imagines. And that his anger towards me might be what has kept him going all these years! It seems like I heard the same thing about Mr. Shaw's feeling towards the Pie Lady... and he lived to a nice ripe age!
I can't believe you posted IN A PUBLIC FORUM about a conversation you had with the man's wife, a "probably secret" conversation as you imply. Why on earth would you do that to a nice woman like that? I find this whole Erwin thing sickening. In my opinion neither one of you could find the high road if it jumped up and hit you in the ass.

Miss Janet
10-20-2007, 16:25
Chief, Dear, get a life!

You know nothing about this situation but always have a few snide comments to make... Who are you?? Are you actually a hiker at all?... Ever been to Erwin and met either of us??

The only reason I said the visit was probably secret meant from her dear husband only. She an I were actually friends at one time. She chose to visit during one of my yard sales on a day when over 50, 000 Apple Festival visitors were in town. She would also love to see this situation dry up... maybe even more than me... so I am quiet sure she would find no offense with my post.

chief
10-20-2007, 22:09
Chief, Dear, get a life!

You know nothing about this situation but always have a few snide comments to make... Who are you?? Are you actually a hiker at all?... Ever been to Erwin and met either of us??Yep, been to Erwin, met you both, stayed at the Holiday Inn Express.

Miss Janet
10-20-2007, 22:25
HIE is a great place to stay... I worked there for 5 years.

I am sorry you made so little impression on me. I usually have a great memory for hikers I even meet for just a little while. When did we meet? Was chief your trail name? I have met several with that name over the years.

Dogwood
01-02-2008, 05:13
If their are or were problems at Uncle Johnnys I was certainly not aware of it from any hikers in 06. UJ has always treated me and everyone else I have spoken to that stayed there in a positive manner. Nothing but GOOD memories there.

High Life
01-06-2008, 22:09
i met miss janet on my way to uncle jhonny's this year . miss janet it was nice to have met you for a brief moment . UJ seemed very nice . they tell me he's mellowed over the year . I did enjoy my time at his hostel

Lone Wolf
01-06-2008, 22:21
i met miss janet on my way to uncle jhonny's this year . miss janet it was nice to have met you for a brief moment . UJ seemed very nice . they tell me he's mellowed over the year . I did enjoy my time at his hostel

better than... never mind :)

High Life
01-09-2008, 15:11
yup you got that right , hehehe

doggiebag
01-09-2008, 15:26
Uncle Johnny's runs a great operation. Excellent selection of hiker friendly food, quality gear and reliable shuttles into town and back. He's got bicycles available for free and I left there with great memories of UJ, Shelley and the rest of his staff. I have no hesitation in saying that I will stay there again. Erwin was a very friendly town from my experience.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-19-2008, 01:57
I have stayed a Uncle Johnny's several times- Great guy and has been very helpful to me-One morning he went out of his way to shuttle me after his favorite dog had just been killed by car that didnt even bother to stop .John and I had a long talk about missing man's best friend that morning . I don 't know about others but he has always treated me exceptionally well.
Hillbilly

Think Spring
01-19-2008, 12:44
I'm now looking for some 'good news' for those of us NOBO in Spring of '08 as it relates to Erwin. And, perhaps I've missed a post or two concerning this. But what options for Erwin hostel's will exist for those of us beginning in,...say, a month? Miss Janet, will your facility and hospitality remain an option for us?:-?

slowandlow
01-19-2008, 13:21
I'll relate my good experience in Erwin in 07. The day before my wife and I got to Erwin we were making camp and met Miss Janet in the woods, who was there to pick up hikers who I think were slackpacking. She kindly asked us if there were anything we needed, food a ride, etc. The next day we stopped at UJ's front porch and UJ was gone on a shuttle. It was very hot that day. We wanted to buy a soda from the machine, but had no change. A kind fellow there bought my wife and I a soda apiece and refused to accept 2 one dollar bills in payment. We started walking toward the Holiday Inn Express where we planned to stay, and lo and behold Miss Janet pulled over and offered us a ride there. Also, there was an A&W next door to the HIE where I had 6 rootbeer floats in 2 days. So, while I have never stayed at Miss Janet's or UJ's, I have only good memories concerning both places, and Erwin in general.

10-K
01-19-2008, 14:04
My limited experience with Uncle Johnny's has been good. He's shuttled me/us twice - on time and for what seemed to me a fair price both times. He also takes plastic.

The guy minding the store gave my son a Snickers bar - that was pretty nice.

Thanks,
Thomas

Jack Tarlin
01-19-2008, 15:13
Quick question to Miss Janet:

I'm directing this to you because you live there: For hikers who might want a room to themselves and some privacy and quiet R&R when they get to town, what do you think is the best motel option for hikers in Erwin in 2008?

astrogirl
01-19-2008, 19:08
My limited experience with Uncle Johnny's has been good. He's shuttled me/us twice - on time and for what seemed to me a fair price both times. He also takes plastic.

I've been there three times, slept there twice. I was treated well and the place was clean the price fair.

I had pretty long shuttles, and liked the shuttlers too.

Kirby
01-20-2008, 21:24
The AT Companion is now out, once it is available, I will see if UJ's is included, or if someone knows before hand, pass the info along, I know that has been a debate for a couple of years, and I also know that the Companion editor for Erwin(Marta of Whiteblaze fame) recommended it be placed in the new edition.

Kirby

earlyriser26
01-21-2008, 11:14
The AT Companion is now out, once it is available, I will see if UJ's is included, or if someone knows before hand, pass the info along, I know that has been a debate for a couple of years, and I also know that the Companion editor for Erwin(Marta of Whiteblaze fame) recommended it be placed in the new edition.

Kirby
I hope the Companion includes UJ's also. I've used them on 3 seperate occasions and found them to be on time and freindly. They wouldn't survive as a business if most of the negative things I've seen posted were true. I'm sure some of them are, but dealing with hikers has to cause more issues than running a motel. Hikers tend to be cheap and demanding. They want Walmart prices at a gas station food mart. As a group we are HIGH MAINTANENCE! This can cause conflicts.

SGT Rock
04-14-2008, 22:55
I found Uncle Johnny's place to be a very well run hostel. It was clean, the rates were very resonable, and the people there were great. It's also right on the trail, there is a good little gear store in the hostel, and they will loan you a bike to ride into town if you don't want to walk or get a shuttle. Richard, Buddha Child, and CB all made me feel more than welcome. I got a chance to meet Johnny and his lovely wife Charlotte and they were both great.

I reccomend it to hikers. Whatever problems folks had with UJs in the past is in the past and should remain so for the benifit of the hikers.

Pootz
04-16-2008, 16:19
I stayed at Uncle Johnny's during my 07 thru hike and found the place to be everything a hiker could ask for. Uncle Johnny and his staff were great and took care of my every need.

Had a chance to stop by there a couple weeks and had a great time talking to Uncle Johnny and his wife along with lots of hikers. Handed out some non-competitive trail magic (beer and bourbon) and had lunch on his front deck.

sloopjonboswell
04-16-2008, 17:19
uncle johnnys is a good hostel. might even let you cut the grass if its shaggy. have to go to johnson city for liquor though.

tight-wad
05-03-2008, 10:06
Uncle Johnny and his crew are fantastic! I have spent the night there on 3 different occasions over the past 6 months, and have had nothing but good experiences.

The original post on this thread was in 2002. Too bad you have to start reading this thread with all the negatives from a long, long time ago. This is a much different place now.

Skyline
05-03-2008, 10:20
It's really great to be reading good things about Uncle Johnny's. It seems to have reverted to the positive vibes of its early years.

dmax
05-03-2008, 12:25
it would be nice if erwin had a couple of more hostles to stay at.

Flyingfishman
06-23-2008, 13:03
Just stayed at Johnny's and used his shuttle service. It was top notch and better than expected. Service was fast and friendly. I will go back.