PDA

View Full Version : Pickle Juice Energy Drink?

Spokes
12-22-2009, 10:28
I've always wondered if pickle juice brine would make a good energy drink. Surprised no AT Thru came up with the idea sooner.

http://www.goldenpicklejuice.com/

Thoughts?

Hikes in Rain
12-22-2009, 10:47
Well, since you asked.......ew.

Fiddleback
12-22-2009, 11:18
Pickle juice is an old story. Bounce around the internet and you can find mentions of college football teams drinking pickle juice as far back as the '50s. Of course, if it's on the internet, it's true!:rolleyes: Although the food industry long ago moved to something more palatable, pickle juice has recently become kinda fadish.

Electrolyte replacement is pretty much based on salt...hence Gatorade, pickle juice and the rest of the other marketing campaigns. The beverages do work...if one had really, really exerted one's self and truly needs the replacement. But I've always thought that to call them energy drinks was a little misleading.

FB

Cabin Fever
12-22-2009, 11:47
When I played football in high school, I played both ways and never came off the field. I would get really dehydrated. The only solution was pickle juice. I would have a jar in the locker room for each game.

Spokes
12-22-2009, 14:29
Pickle juice is an old story.

Electrolyte replacement is pretty much based on salt...hence Gatorade, pickle juice and the rest of the other marketing campaigns. The beverages do work...

FB

Wow, your post made me do a little more research on the subject. Found an interesting article on the Vanderbilt webpage replete with some scientific basis. They do warn to dilute the pickle juice solution however...........

Who'd a thunk?

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/pickleJuice.htm

Tinker
12-22-2009, 19:33
I've always wondered if pickle juice brine would make a good energy drink. Surprised no AT Thru came up with the idea sooner.

Thoughts?
I'm not the least bit surprised.:cool:

peakbagger
12-23-2009, 08:23
I supervised a construction crew once doing work over a very hot papermachine. It was 120 def F plus and they were rigging large equipment in and out of a building. They went through gallons of gatoraide during the day. When they got back to the hotel after a long day they would stop and buy a case of dill pickes and plenty of beer. The first thing they did was drink the pickle juice then sit around and eat the pickles and have a few beers. One of the crew commented that it sounded weird when they first started with the crew but after a few days of work, they craved the pickles.

Ihearbanjomusic
12-23-2009, 13:25
When my father ran marathons, he said the only thing that would quench his thirst was Orange Juice and Pickles...just a thought.

Spokes
12-23-2009, 13:42
When my father ran marathons, he said the only thing that would quench his thirst was Orange Juice and Pickles...just a thought.

And I thought my taste for beer and ice cream was weird?

Dogwood
12-23-2009, 14:49
So, let's say Pickle Juice Brine makes the finest energy drink of all, although I also suspect it's just the salts and electrolytes in the brine, where do you find FRESH Pickle Juice on the trail???

Could I also drink the foul brine that Pig's Feet and red dyed Boiled Eggs are found in lying on the bar counters down south for that quick "energy" boost???

Hikes in Rain
12-23-2009, 14:52
And I thought my taste for beer and ice cream was weird?

Weird? No way! Stout Floats rock, especially with a good Russian Imperial Stout! I was first introduced to them as a featured item at my homebrew club.

atraildreamer
12-23-2009, 21:28
Pickle juice ...no,:eek: SPAM juice...YES!:banana

Tuckahoe
12-23-2009, 21:59
Hmmm, I had never heard of drinking pickle juice. Never really cared for Gatorade myself, but working a forge during the summer, I find that I can drink about 2-3 gallons of water a day.

Hikerhead
12-23-2009, 22:10

Thoughts?

I sometimes take pickles on overnite hikes. They do a good job of waking you up and getting you going in the mornings.

Spokes
12-24-2009, 11:47
Could I also drink the foul brine that Pig's Feet and red dyed Boiled Eggs are found in lying on the bar counters down south for that quick "energy" boost???

I bet the smell from the pig's feet would frighten bears away...........and I'm sure the red dye around your mouth from the boiled eggs would scare the hell out of every one in the shelter!!

Spokes
12-24-2009, 11:48
Weird? No way! Stout Floats rock, especially with a good Russian Imperial Stout! I was first introduced to them as a featured item at my homebrew club.

Mmm, mmm, mmm I gotta try one of them now!

ShadowAlpha
01-04-2010, 12:18
I drink dill pickle juice - its good!

Have heard of it to be a hangover remedy.
Guessing it helps since normally after one drinks alcohol they become dehydrated.

Wise Old Owl
01-04-2010, 13:01
I am on the fence here salt or brine and vinegar?

vs

Water Potassium salt and orange flavor = Gatorade

You could accomplish the same thing with a bag of sea salt chips.

Fiddleback
01-05-2010, 10:39
I am on the fence here salt or brine and vinegar?

vs

Water Potassium salt and orange flavor = Gatorade

You could accomplish the same thing with a bag of sea salt chips.

I think you're probably correct. The 'energy' drinks can be effective for athletes and others that go through extreme exertion and need a rapid recovery and ingestion of electrolytes. While I know some backpackers also experience that, and I myself have felt like I have more times than I like, I really prefer to keep my trail 'work' at a lower level. Given that, a little salty snack and lots of water takes care of my needs.

Still, there's something health positive to be said in deemphasizing sodium in favor of potassium which I think the 'energy' drinks do...

FB