PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Shipping Pack to Hostel

Hikerj53
12-22-2009, 10:38
All,

Will be starting from Springer in March. I've arranged to get picked up and stay the night at a local hiker hostel the day I fly in. Their Web site mentions the possibility of sending your backpack ahead of time. My questions:

Have any of you ever done this before?

What shipper did you use, e.g. FEDEX, UPS, etceteras?

About how much did they charge?

Did you have the shipper shrink wrap your loaded pack or did you end up boxing everything up?

Happy trails,

Hiker

white_russian
12-22-2009, 10:49
Make sure the charge doesn't come to more than your airlines BS baggage fees. I once had to ship my big Gregory pack in for repairs and just the pack empty by itself was oversize on one dimension and would have cost me a bunch had Gregory not picked up the tab. I have never shipped by UPS/FedEx to the trail, but when I fly with my pack I pack it all loose in a cardboard box.

roy_hiking
12-22-2009, 10:58
Check with hostel owner. If it is the "Hiker Hostal" they know a lot about receiving and shipping.

drifters quest
12-22-2009, 13:48
I'm also planning on staying at the hiker hostel in March. Although I won't be shipping my bag ahead, I will ship over some items that I don't think the airlines would accept in baggage and some things (fuel) i'm planning on just getting when I get there.

BrianLe
12-22-2009, 15:28
I plan to mail my stuff parcel post, USPS. That after some brief investigation which suggested that might be the cheapest way to go; if I recall correctly, I expect it's going to cost on the order of $25 and take about 7 days. I'll just get a regular box and put everything in there, put the sleeping bag in loose to fill up available volume so things don't rattle around.

I did this starting my PCT trip in 2008 and it worked great. The big appeal to me was no risk of the airline losing or abusing my light pack and associated expensive gear. And for that trip I sent it to a friend in the area, who confirmed for me that my box was there before I even boarded the plane, which was quite comforting.

Now, if you want to insure the box contents for what they might really be worth, that changes the game some --- I think the threshhold is $500 beyond which a signature is required on the other end or something to that effect.

I had the impression that the (very nice) folks at the Hiker Hostel don't track which shipping service is the "best" in any particular way; they take all three and leave it up to you to decide.

One other semi-serious caveat: if you're flying somewhere with a one-way ticket and you have no luggage and you're a bearded male, you naturally have increased odds of a more careful security check en route to your plane. In 2008 that didn't happen to me, however; maybe I'm old enough now that I no longer appear to be any sort of threat to anyone ... (how depressing! :-)).

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 08:36
I am taking a train from Boston to ATL, then from there to Springer. I will be carrying. Unless I find a shared ride to Atl area with someone.

white_russian
12-23-2009, 10:50
I am taking a train from Boston to ATL, then from there to Springer. I will be carrying. Unless I find a shared ride to Atl area with someone.
You know you can get off at the train one stop earlier at Gainesville and you will be a lot closer.

white_russian
12-23-2009, 10:52
I'm also planning on staying at the hiker hostel in March. Although I won't be shipping my bag ahead, I will ship over some items that I don't think the airlines would accept in baggage and some things (fuel) i'm planning on just getting when I get there.
The only thing I can think of that the airlines won't take is fuel. What other stuff do you think they won't take?

ARambler
12-23-2009, 11:49
I think $25 and 7 days is way too optimistic. Also, I'm not the type to have my act together ahead of time. Finally, the vast majority carry their pack on the plane.

That said, the new bagage fees make this an interesting idea.
Rambler

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:50

You know you can get off at the train one stop earlier at Gainesville and you will be a lot closer.

That's what I'm doing. (Getting off at Gainesville) And I have a "viewliner roomette" with two beds in it, so I can put my pack there, instead of checking it. (Because Gainesville has no checked bag service)

That way I can carry everything with me and no one can break or tear any of my gear! (I, like many hikers, am very protective of my pack and it's contents.)

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:55
You could always take the train- I'm taking it because I love trains, and I think it'll be a good beginning to my hike.

If you take the #2 Sunset Limited from San Antonio to New Orleans, then the #20 Crescent to Atlanta, it'd cost $125. If you don't get a room.

It is a pretty long trip- I didn't think it'd be so long from Texas, a total of 26 hours...

BrianLe
12-23-2009, 12:59
"I think $25 and 7 days is way too optimistic."

It's based on looking not too many weeks ago on the USPS site, plugging in my zip code and that of the hiker hostel, guesstimating weight and dimensions of the box for shipping parcel post ...
I won't swear those numbers are precise, but I think they're ballpark for shipping on the order of 20 pounds (most of my base weight plus most of a few days of food).

white_russian
12-23-2009, 13:18
It's based on looking not too many weeks ago on the USPS site, plugging in my zip code and that of the hiker hostel, guesstimating weight and dimensions of the box for shipping parcel post ...
I won't swear those numbers are precise, but I think they're ballpark for shipping on the order of 20 pounds (most of my base weight plus most of a few days of food).
It works out for you since you are experienced and have your pack weight down pretty good. I think $25 for a lot of folks would be optimistic since they are carrying extra/heavy stuff they don't need.

ARambler
12-23-2009, 14:14
It works out for you since you are experienced and have your pack weight down pretty good. I think $25 for a lot of folks would be optimistic since they are carrying extra/heavy stuff they don't need.

Yes, you can probably budget $25, It would help to 1) carry on a stuff sack of some extra cloths, and food, 2) buy some food in GA (cheese, tortillas), 3) use a light box, and 4) live closer than WA.

I just don't trust parcel post to deliver on time. I would allow 2+ weeks minimum.

Rambler

drifters quest
12-24-2009, 20:31
I'm not sure yet but I think my pack might be small enough to carry on. If that's the case i'll ship anything that could possibly be "iffy". It may end up the things that everything I find that needs to be sent is cheap enough to just buy there.

aquaman1208
12-24-2009, 20:52
When I flew I just checked my backpack in as baggage (no fuel) with duct tape to secure straps. I even duct taped my hiking poles to it. No one seemed to care and I had no problems.

Sly
12-24-2009, 21:05
You can get a large moving box from Home Depot, 18x18x24 for less than $2-. 30 lbs Boston to Atlanta cost $43.25 priority mail (2-3 days), $21.89 for parcel post (6 days).

Insurance is about $1 per $100

30 lbs from WA $76.90 & $43.33 (same times)

20 lbs $76.90 & $25.70

mikec
12-24-2009, 21:34
I shipped my backpack from VA to a motel in Delaware Water Gap in 2005 and the Inn at Kent, CT in 2003 both via Fedex for past section hikes. It was waiting for me both times when I got there. Very convenient. I think the cost was $50-70.

mweinstone
12-24-2009, 22:53
shipping your pack is so weird i cant listen to this.freaks ship packs so they can receive them and have tags on them and be cool. its weird.

mweinstone
12-24-2009, 22:55
ya know those people who come out of a store with a tiny bag and walk to their car and open the trunk and put the bag in and ride home and take the tiny bag out of the trunk and go in their house and put the bag down and make everything all complicated? yeah, those folks ship their packs.

mweinstone
12-24-2009, 23:02
your one armed. your leaveing tommorow to thruhike. last night you misplaced your prothsesies while at the goodby party. maby some freaks stole it, you donno.anyway. your new replacement arm must be shipped to springer and without it, your worried about swinging your pack into another passenger with only one arm. so you ship your pack and wait at the hostil to get armed. sorry. your other arm.now with two arms, you hike to maine without injuring anyone. and l due to your thaughtfull foresight in shipping your pack.

partinj
12-24-2009, 23:57
When i mail my pack to the highhostel by ups it cost me 50.00 you
have to watch the size of the pack both ups and usps will hit you with a oversize charge. will never mail it again to much just to send a 5 lbs pack
incase you are wondering i was able to fit all tje other stuff in a roll on suitcase. Good Luck
:eek:

modiyooch
12-25-2009, 00:53
The only thing I can think of that the airlines won't take is fuel. What other stuff do you think they won't take?they wouldn't let me check my stove. As far as my pack, I had and oversized duffle bag that I stuffed my pack in. I have a large, external pack. I booked a flight without connections to reduce the risk of losing my luggage.

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 07:33
i have an undetonated grenade lodged in my gut i got in a trash truck accedent. its allways fun exsplainin.

merry cringle.

boarstone
12-25-2009, 08:45
I've flown w/my pack...this way...I loosly packed it, put in inside a roller suitcase, checked it for $15 on Continental, cheaper than shipping. Packed the rest of my gear around it, making sure only acceptable stuff was in it. Stove in w/pack, no fuel of course! Pocket knife in checked baggage and anything else not allowed on board. I did take snack bars in carry on and anything I'd need Make sure your poles when collapsed will fit inside the suitcase, if not, you'll have to either go w/o, buy new ones or ship seperate to your destination in a tube mailer. Or, buy a cheap duffel bag and throw all in...again, make sure collapsed poles will fit. Internal packs are the way to go for flying. Or you may be able to take as a carry on, but mail ahead, the unacceptable items not allowed as carry on. Check w/airline your flying or bus your using. Either way, you'll end up paying...either the airline or the shipper...

bobbyw
01-01-2010, 20:10
When I got off the AT in Virginia I got a bargain ticket at a library and flew out the same day. I used my pack as my carry on. Since then I've flown three times with it as a carry on, no one ever said a thing (I did have to check it at the gate once, but I was last on, and it didn't matter was size it was... there was no room)

bobbyw
01-01-2010, 20:11
Oh, and when I get off the trial, they let me on the plane with two knifes, a FULL bottle of fuel, and a lighter.... but they took my jar of super-chunk peanut butter.

When I got off the AT in Virginia I got a bargain ticket at a library and flew out the same day. I used my pack as my carry on. Since then I've flown three times with it as a carry on, no one ever said a thing (I did have to check it at the gate once, but I was last on, and it didn't matter was size it was... there was no room)

bobbyw
01-01-2010, 20:18
Oh, and when I get off the trial, they let me on the plane with two knifes, a FULL bottle of fuel, and a lighter.... but they took my jar of super-chunk peanut butter.

fiddlehead
01-01-2010, 21:52
your one armed. your leaveing tommorow to thruhike. last night you misplaced your prothsesies while at the goodby party. maby some freaks stole it, you donno.anyway. your new replacement arm must be shipped to springer and without it, your worried about swinging your pack into another passenger with only one arm. so you ship your pack and wait at the hostil to get armed. sorry. your other arm.now with two arms, you hike to maine without injuring anyone. and l due to your thaughtfull foresight in shipping your pack.

One of the BEST posts I've ever seen on whiteblaze.
Thanks Matty for the great laugh this morning!
happy trails to all!

BrianLe
02-15-2010, 15:51
I mailed my box to the hostel --- 25 pounds, including most of my first few days of food. I went with US Post Office, parcel post, from the West Coast that means 7 - 8 days.

Cost was $31.63, and I somewhat randomly insured it for $500 for another $6.70. $500 doesn't cover my loss on that stuff, but I figure it might at least get them to take a bit of extra care (?).

Checking even just one bag (or box) on my flight was going to cost me $25, and leave me with a bit of hassle unpacking the box in the airport, converting contents back into a pack, and somehow dealing with the large cardboard box. This way at a slight premium my stuff gets there IMO more reliably and with less travel hassles.

singing wind
02-16-2010, 00:08
Hmmm ... on international flights out of NZ and US domestic flights I usually bring on board the following:

thermarest - use on plane or inflate and nap in a quiet area of the terminal (near heaven after a 12 hour flight)
hammock & tarp
rain jacket
& any lightweight gear allowed that can be stuffed into onboard luggage

Anything else, including my pack, goes as checked baggage in a large duffel bag.
If not using the duffel bag I shorten the hiking poles and stick them inside the pack, then tighten down all the pack straps, connect the waistbelt, and try to locate one of those airline issued oversized plastic bags to stick the pack in.
And I prefer to check the airline luggage tags to make sure the destinations are correct.

So far, fingers crossed - everything has come through ok, even with multiple plane changes.