PDA

View Full Version : Gear List Help

Rhino-Mac
12-22-2009, 12:58
I'm a newbie to long-distance hiking and was hoping you all could help me out with my gear. I was hoping to start a thru-hike next February (probably around the 21st or so). Here's my list, any suggestions or critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Camp:
Tent: Six Moons Designs Wild Oasis
Sleeping Bag: ALPS Mountaineering Navajo 20F (owned)
Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest 3/4 Length
Ground Sheet: Plastic Sheet (owned)

Clothing:
For hiking:
Baselayer Bottom: Polyester boxers (owned)
Baselayer Top: Polyester Muscle Shirt (owned)
Pants: Campmor Men's Convertible 100% Nylon Pants (owned)
Shirt: Campmor Men's Travel Long-Sleeve Shirt (owned)
Raingear Bottom:
Raingear Top: Jacket (owned - no hood)
Hat: Ballcap (owned)
Socks:
Sock Liner: Dress Socks (owned)
Footwear: Running Shoes (owned)
Trekking Poles:
Watch: Sports Watch (owned)

For camping:
Baselayer Bottom: Polyester Pants (owned)
Baselayer Top: Polyester Long-Sleeve Shirt (owned)
Shirt: Acrylic Sweater (owned)
Insulation: Pull-Over Fleece (owned)
Hat: Acrylic/Nylon Tuque (owned)
Gloves:
Socks:
Sock Liner: Dress Socks

Packs:
Backpack: GoLite Jam2
Hiking Clothing Stuff Sack:
Camping Clothing Stuff Sack:
Food/Bear Bag Stuff Sack:
Rock Sack (PCT Method):

Water/Food:
Water Treatment: MSR SweetWater Purifier System
Water Bottle: Gatorade Bottle (2?)
Stove: Homemade Alcohol Stove (partially assembled)
Fuel Bottle: Plastic Bottle (probably owned)
Pot: Can of some kind (probably owned)
Utensils: Spoon (owned)

Other:
Maps: Whole Trail
Compass:
Guidebook(s): Have 2009 Companion and 2009 Data Book
Headlamp: Princeton Tec Fuel (owned)
Journal:
Camera: Olympus FE-230 (owned)
Camera Mini Tripod: Mini Flexible Tripod (owned)
Toiletries: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, etc.
First Aid Kit:
Cord:
Towel:

Thanks!

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 13:06
Feb of this coming year?

And you may be cold with that bag and only a ridgerest under you. I'm bringing a 15 degree down bag and a thermarest neoair.

John B
12-22-2009, 13:28
Stuff you may or may not be forgetting: BIC lighter, tiny knife/scissors combo, ear plugs, dental floss, multivitamin pills, ball point pen. Wrap 6' duct tape around one of your bottles -- great for repairing anything, including blistered feet.

I might swap out the muscle shirt for a wicking short sleeve teeshirt or wicking longsleeve shirt -- kinda cold in February. If you have $32, you can buy a Timex Expedition watch that has a good electronic compass built in. Swap the acrylic hat for wool. The sweater and fleece seem almost a duplication -- maybe swap one for a puff jacket? I'm always cold, so the clothing seems light to me.

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 13:42
Earplugs! Good call. One piece of gear I have NEVER regretted carrying is earplugs. They're also in all my resupply boxes. And they take up no space or weight.

mountain squid
12-22-2009, 13:48
Some observations:

sil-nylon stuff sacks will work for stuffing needs
camp footwear
bandana/buff (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1)
hydration system for drinking on the go
hand sanitizer
instead of can for a pot check out antigravitygear pot (http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=MK3CNS&cat=114)
pencil
don't carry all the maps at once
data book not necessary with Companion
whistle
needle for draining blisters
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
if no cell phone, don't forget important phone #s

and, of course, don't forget id/atm/credit cards.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 14:01
I'll post my list a bit later, just in case you want to compare. (I'm leaving in Feb. as well)

Rhino-Mac
12-22-2009, 14:42
Feb of this coming year?

And you may be cold with that bag and only a ridgerest under you. I'm bringing a 15 degree down bag and a thermarest neoair.
Yes, 2010. Hmm... too bad it doesn't get cold enough in FL for me to fully test my sleeping system. I'm trying to do my best guessing for the beginning part of the trip - at least after 30 miles I can reassess the situation with a better understanding of the climate. :-/

Stuff you may or may not be forgetting: BIC lighter, tiny knife/scissors combo, ear plugs, dental floss, multivitamin pills, ball point pen. Wrap 6' duct tape around one of your bottles -- great for repairing anything, including blistered feet.

I might swap out the muscle shirt for a wicking short sleeve teeshirt or wicking longsleeve shirt -- kinda cold in February. If you have $32, you can buy a Timex Expedition watch that has a good electronic compass built in. Swap the acrylic hat for wool. The sweater and fleece seem almost a duplication -- maybe swap one for a puff jacket? I'm always cold, so the clothing seems light to me.
Keep forgetting to add a BIC Lighter to my list. Thanks! Got my pocket knife (never go anywhere without it... except the airport). I used to have some ear plugs from a trip to the gun range... hope I still have them somewhere, never even thought about that.

I was bringing the Muscle shirt over a t-shirt because I thought it would be more comfortable in the summer months. Maybe I could switch my long-sleeve shirt to my hiking shirt and my muscle shirt to my camping shirt until things warm up. Then I can wash them both somewhere and swap them back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Some observations:

sil-nylon stuff sacks will work for stuffing needs
camp footwear
bandana/buff (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=328&compid=1)
hand sanitizer
instead of can for a pot check out antigravitygear pot (http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=MK3CNS&cat=114)
pencil
don't carry all the maps at once
data book not necessary with Companion
whistle
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
if no cell phone, don't forget important phone #s

and, of course, don't forget id/atm/credit cards.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks!

I'll post my list a bit later, just in case you want to compare. (I'm leaving in Feb. as well)
Sweet! That should help a bunch. Much appreciated. :)

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 14:46
Yeah, you're right- it isn't like you'll die before Mountain Crossings, just may be uncomfortable. (It would just be inconvenient to have to replace a bag or pad and send the other home, though Winton'll be able to sort you out, no worries)

BrianLe
12-22-2009, 15:07
Wool socks? Both for on-trail (February ...) and to sleep in, walk in camp in. Couple pair.
Throw in a pair of bread bags or other plastic sacks to keep 2nd pair of wool socks dry in camp while wearing wet shoes.
I suggest that your "clothing for hiking" include some sort of mittens, perhaps both mitten shells and some sort of polyesther or wool mitten.
I'm with you on the hydration system, for starting out in Feb --- KISS when things can freeze. But later when it's warmer, I too prefer a hydration system, FWIW.
Filter can freeze ... consider Aqua Mira.
Seems like there's a lot of things still missing on your list --- trowel, toilet paper, purell, first aid kit, ultralite towel for inside that Wild Oasis ...

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 15:49
Trowel? I wouldn't bother. (Although in cold weather, digging with a stick sucks, so maybe)

MuffinMan11
12-22-2009, 16:25
Trowel? I wouldn't bother. (Although in cold weather, digging with a stick sucks, so maybe)

If you are using trekking poles, grab the bottom about 3 to 5 inches up and claw the dirt. Much stronger and always handy if you use them. :D

BrianLe
12-22-2009, 17:42
A "trowel" is what you want it to be ... indeed, trekking pole tips if you like that. I use a snow/sand stake that doubles as a tent stake and is helpful if camping in loose soil on (admittedly rare) occasion. I realize that the AT has all sorts of pit toilets along the way, but for me at least, it seems prudent to have a backup plan.

mudhead
12-22-2009, 17:50
Yes, 2010. Hmm... too bad it doesn't get cold enough in FL for me to fully test my sleeping system. I'm trying to do my best guessing for the beginning part of the trip - at least after 30 miles I can reassess the situation with a better understanding of the climate. :-/

L

I had really thin blood when I came back North. Do you look for the heat in the house to kick on when it is 65* out?

Do you think 45* is Winter? And nasty?

Bags4266
12-22-2009, 18:32
Feb of this coming year?

Santa came early?

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 18:34
Santa came early?

Well, I just so happen to know what's in his bag...

Tinker
12-22-2009, 18:44
The mesh skirt on the Wild Oasis isn't going to do much to keep out spindrift. If you are carrying it mainly as a backup, remember that the shelters are the fullest when the weather is the worst, in other words I, personally, would feel more comfortable carrying a tent with a floor or a very large tarp and Equinox-style breathable bivy. Frozen ground without any appreciable snow is probably my least favorite anchor for a stake, so I'd choose a shelter that requires as few of them as possible. I can set up my Hilleberg Akto with four, minimum. Some tents only require two. Frozen ground tends to break up into clumps when you try to sink a stake into it (or you just can't get a stake in at all and have to use rocks and line to anchor your tent).

BrianLe
12-22-2009, 19:46
"remember that the shelters are the fullest when the weather is the worst"

Doubtless, but a late February start might mitigate that. I'm going with a Gatewood Cape, the same thing as the Wild Oasis but without the mesh skirt and dual use as a poncho. Spindrift, wind blown rain, that sort of thing I think can be dealt with through a combination of how I pitch and where I pitch, plus I'll start the trail with a very light bivy. But it seems to me that with (also for me) a late Feb start that there will be better odds of getting a place in a shelter when the weather is truly nasty.

To put it another way, I'm sure i'll be fine if there's never an open shelter spot, but it could be very nice to be able to dry things out a bit inside a shelter now and again.

My own plan (I should say "best guess") is to not sleep in shelters unless there's clearly room and the weather is crappy enough that it seems a nicer alternative. TBD.

Blissful
12-22-2009, 21:12
You'll be cold in that sleeping bag as the temp rating is likely nowhere near 20 degree.
Dress socks? No!
Got to have an insulating jacket.
All you need is Aquamira for water
Pack cover or liner?

I'm assuming your mailng maps to yourself.

Caboose
12-22-2009, 21:45
I like to have a 1 gallon zip loc for water when I'm at camp. A "Sham-wow" is pretty valuable for drying yourself after a bath and wringing your wet socks out. Put your wet socks and insoles in the zip-loc (turn inside out 1st) and put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag. In the morning they may be wet, but not frozen. In the morning I'm cold, so I pack up everything I can the night before, hike a few hours then eat b.fast when it's warmer. Protein powder is nice, mixes w/water, packs easy.

Connie
12-22-2009, 23:14
double post

Connie
12-22-2009, 23:18
Socks: Thorlos Crew or "Mini Crew" Light Hikers

Rainwear Bottom: rainchaps
Liberty Mountain Ultralite Full Moon Chaps (http://www.libertymountain.com/shop/product.asp?p=4340&pg=2&c=175&o=0&s=5)
Exped Chaps (http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset) or
frogg toggs (http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/category.asp?Category=01&Subcategory=02)cut and made into rainchaps

Trekking Poles:
shock-absorbing type on sale

Bear Bag/Food Bag:
Ursack bear bag (http://www.ursack.com/page15.html) or
Opsak odor proof barrier bag (http://www.loksak.com/products)

Rock Sack (PCT Method):
AntiGravitygear TreeLine 40' Spectra 725 Line (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TRLINE)

Dry Clothing Stuff Sack:
Sea to Summit eVAC Dry Sack (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/64)

Water Treatment:
mÜV - micro-UV water purifier
includes water bottle (http://www.uvaquastar.com/standard.aspx?elid=205) or not

Compass:
Suunto M9 Wrist Compass (http://www.opticsgiant.com/suunm9wrisco.html)

First Aid Kit:
Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight & Watertight .7 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/product.php?catname=Ultralight&prodname=Ultralight%20&%20Watertight%20.7&product=120#)

Towel:
MSR Nano Towel (http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Camp-Towels/Fast-And-Light-CT/Packtowl-Nano/product)
Light Load Towel 12inx12in - 2 Pack (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=LLTWLSM2P&cat=74)

Camera mount:
StickPic (http://thestickpic.com/)

Erin
12-22-2009, 23:46
Sunglasses

take-a-knee
12-23-2009, 00:19
A "trowel" is what you want it to be ... indeed, trekking pole tips if you like that. I use a snow/sand stake that doubles as a tent stake and is helpful if camping in loose soil on (admittedly rare) occasion. I realize that the AT has all sorts of pit toilets along the way, but for me at least, it seems prudent to have a backup plan.

Yes, the SMC snow stake, double use as trowel and stake, half the weight of the plastic trowel. REI has them

harryfred
12-23-2009, 03:43
Just my opinions and observations. I have made several alcohol stoves and like the Pepsi can type with out simmer ring best It is the lightest and takes up the least amount of room. I don't cook I boil water and add something to it. Consider an Esbit stove as a back up it and six tablets won't weigh much and the Esbit tablets make great emergency all weather fire stater. I am really happy with a Walmart grease pot to cook in and eat out of. It is a little larger than is needed but it also works well to dip water out of streams and can be used to tote water. I have tried a lot of different eating utensils and I really like my "Light My Fire" spork. I have a Coleman salt and pepper container and a lot of thrus borrow it. Get one of those water bags or folding buckets that hold at least 5 liters a lot of times it is a long way to the spring and you only want to make that trip once. A Ziploc Grande bag makes a great food sack I have had one for over a year and it still is good. Don't forget something to put trash in. Carry a back up for your Bic lighter but only one. Don't waste money on a first aid kit use a 1 qt. Ziploc zipper bag and fill it yourself I also keep my emergency repair stuff in mine: needle and tread, tent patch, super glue, shoe laces, etc. If you wear eye glasses carry a spare. If you wear bifocals don't wear them hiking get a pair just for your near sight and let your spare pair be bifocal.

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 07:07
Thanks this was good reading.

I will look into this.

Just my opinions and observations. I have made several alcohol stoves and like the Pepsi can type with out simmer ring best It is the lightest and takes up the least amount of room. I don't cook I boil water and add something to it. Consider an Esbit stove as a back up it and six tablets won't weigh much and the Esbit tablets make great emergency all weather fire stater. I am really happy with a Walmart grease pot to cook in and eat out of. It is a little larger than is needed but it also works well to dip water out of streams and can be used to tote water. I have tried a lot of different eating utensils and I really like my "Light My Fire" spork. I have a Coleman salt and pepper container and a lot of thrus borrow it. Get one of those water bags or folding buckets that hold at least 5 liters a lot of times it is a long way to the spring and you only want to make that trip once. A Ziploc Grande bag makes a great food sack I have had one for over a year and it still is good. Don't forget something to put trash in. Carry a back up for your Bic lighter but only one. Don't waste money on a first aid kit use a 1 qt. Ziploc zipper bag and fill it yourself I also keep my emergency repair stuff in mine: needle and tread, tent patch, super glue, shoe laces, etc. If you wear eye glasses carry a spare. If you wear bifocals don't wear them hiking get a pair just for your near sight and let your spare pair be bifocal.

JoshStover
12-23-2009, 07:10
Informative post harryfred.

Rhino-Mac
12-23-2009, 10:17
I had really thin blood when I came back North. Do you look for the heat in the house to kick on when it is 65* out?

Do you think 45* is Winter? And nasty?
Not really. I can drive around with the windows down when it's in the 50s. I've walked to work in shorts and a t-shirt when it's in the 40s or 50s. I recently went up to Conn and Mass in late November and didn't find it all that bad. It was cold with 45 degree weather and 13 mph wind sitting in Gillette Stadium, but the mile-long walk to Gillette was hot, had to take off my sweater.

Seems like there's a lot of things still missing on your list --- trowel, toilet paper, purell, first aid kit, ultralite towel for inside that Wild Oasis ...
Thanks. A lot of that stuff I had in my mind but never wrote down. Probably would have forgotten half of it. :)

Don't waste money on a first aid kit use a 1 qt. Ziploc zipper bag and fill it yourself I also keep my emergency repair stuff in mine: needle and tread, tent patch, super glue, shoe laces, etc.
Yeah, that was my plan. Just need to throw it all together. Thanks for the post, lots of great info.

I'm assuming your mailng maps to yourself.
Yes. I don't know yet how I'm going to break it down, though.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:08
I'll post my gear list, I leave in mid February for my thru (2 months!!!).
I'm exceedingly tired, so I'm sure I'll forget to post most of it.

In Harpers Ferry, I will be switching the 15 degree bag for a 35 degree, and the tent for my hammock, and a couple other things.

Camp:
Tent: Mountain Hardwear PCT 1 (later Hennessy Hammock)
Sleeping Bag: Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15 or Marmot Helium 15 (both 15 degree down bags, we'll see which)
Sleeping bag stuff sack: Outdoor Research dry bag (Hydro seal)
Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir, regular
Ground Sheet: don't use one (usually, we'll see)

Clothing:
For hiking:
Pants: Shorts, maybe tights as well
Shirt: underarmour t-shirt, underarmour long sleeve or thin pullover fleece maybe
Raingear Bottom: none
Raingear Top: PACKA (is also a pack cover)
Hat: Arc'terxy hat or O.R. Balaclava
Socks: Two p. smartwool medium cushion
Sock Liner: one p. smartwool
Footwear: Scarpa boots
Trekking Poles: ski poles
Watch: don't use one

For camping:
Baselayer Bottom: Patagonia Long underwear
Baselayer Top: Patagonia Long underwear
Insulation: Zip up Fleece
Hat: see hiking stuff
Gloves: yep
Socks: two pair smartwool, one medium cushion, one ski length
camp shoes: Winter, maybe down booties, summer birkenstock arizonas (heavier, but comfy)

Packs:
Backpack: Jansport Klamath 72 (switch out in Harpers Ferry to Osprey)
Hiking Clothing Stuff Sack: sierra designs light stuff sack
Food/Bear Bag Stuff Sack: very light sea to summit dry bag

Water/Food:
Water Treatment: Katadyn Hiker
Water Bottle: two Nalgenes, Two evernew water carry bags (1500mL and 600mL) the large for carrying cooking water, the small for drinks from town; they're like european juice boxes, perfect!
Stove: MSR pocketrocket
Fuel Bottle: canisters
Pot: Mexican (just kidding :D )- some one person backpacking pot I have
Pan: frying pan
Utensils: Titanium Spork, knife

Other:
Maps: Whole Trail (not all at once, of course)
Compass: don't remember the brand, but it's pretty standard
Guidebook(s): My own compilation of Appalachian Pages 2009 and lots of other info I've taped inside
Headlamp: Petzl (zipka, I think)
Journal: moleskine (the small flexible ones)
Camera: Canon powershot
Toiletries: Toothbrush, Toothpaste, campsoap,
First Aid Kit: assorted
Cord: P-cord
Towel: packtowl personal

I just kind of filled in your list and added/subtraced things.
Also photo ID, ATM card, emergency cash, health insurance card, dogtags (I wear dogtags with emergency info- literally, dog tags, not army tags), bic (around my neck), matches, mug, gaiters (only for snow, then they go home), a few esbit tabs, cell phone and charger (turned off), pen, whistle, etc...

mountain squid
12-23-2009, 12:55
Some observations (ShelterLeopard's list):

5 pr socks? - need only enough to ensure at least one dry pr for camp
bandana/buff
hand sanitizer
leave frying pan at home
gatorade bottles instead of Nalgenes (actually forego all bottles and carry hydration system and other bags only)
don't need alot of campsoap
pencil instead of pen
is knife a dinner knife? - if so, consider sm swiss army with tweezers/scissors instead
sunscreen
ear plugs
duct tape
mug? (sounds heavy)

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:06
-I love dry socks. Two pairs for camp (only in winter, one pair in warm weather, unless I get the down booties, in which case it'll be one pair all the time), two for hiking. I may forgo the liners though, they irritate me.
-Always have bandana, just forgot to list it.
-Frying pan will be with me for the second month only.
-Nope, knife is a leathermen- which I may switch out for a swiss army, but have always found useful.
-Titanium mug
-Will think about handsanitizer, but might not bring it.
-I like nalgenes
-My campsoap is small, and I use it after every third meal, because I like clean dishes.
-I think I listed the needle and thread, though maybe that was on another thread where I posted my first aid kit contents. (Always have a needle and thread, blisters and pack repair)
-Pencil- mechanical? Good idea.
-Have a tiny bottle of sunscreen that'll be coming into my pack later on.
-Ear plugs are also in my first aid kit, and in all my resupply boxes, consider them imperative!!! (bought some good ones from riteaid)
-Duct tape is wrapped around my lighter (I think I'll wrap my poles too- the lighter only carries enoough for blisters)

Thanks squid (I have most of it covered, just forgot to mention.)
One question- doesn anyone carry spare laces? I figured thin P-Cord would hold until the next outfitter, suggestions?

BrianLe
12-23-2009, 13:21
Needle and thread: FWIW, I keep a needle in my first aid kit, and like many I use dental floss as thread. Worked fine for various repairs in the past.

Frying pan?

What are the weight of your ski poles? If you're an active pole user, then IMO the same mantra about heavy footwear ("A pound on your feet ...") applies to poles to insofar as you're moving them constantly as you walk. As a somewhat random reference my adjustable, non-shock-absorbing carbon fiber poles weigh 11.6 oz for the pair.

Only insulation layer is a zip-up fleece? Maybe fine, I don't have experience on the AT, but for a mid-Feb start ...

I think it would be particularly interesting in looking at these lists to see the base weight for the total kit. For me, at least, it helps put some gear choices in perspective. I.e., if it's a 25 pound baseweight, a (is it a full sized?) leatherman seems perfectly at home there, whereas for a 12 pound baseweight it seems out of place.

John B
12-23-2009, 13:26
I put in another plug for vitamin pills. You'll be eating some of the crappiest, least healthy stuff imaginable for days/weeks/mths on end while simultaneously stressing your body. Even if you don't do a daily multivit pill, then at least every second or third day?

I don't get the switch from a ball point pen to a pencil -- pencil marks fade on wet paper, ball pt. pen ink won't.

I'm paranoid about water inside my pack, so I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner AND a flame orange pack cover (ATC sells them).

Not to be too disgusting, but lots of times you'll need to go to the bathroom and having water nearby for hand washing won't be possible, so I always and forever carry gelled alch and use it religiously.

For cold weather hiking, I like to carry a nalgene and a gatorade bottle. The reason? You can put boiling hot water in a nalgene (great to do and put in sleeping bag on really cold nights) and the bottle won't distort, but try it in a gatorade bottle and the thing will distort.

Sgt Rock once pointed out that mittens are warmer than gloves. He's right.

You guys are going to have a great time. I'm envious. 2 more years for me. Enjoy every step.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:34
Needle and thread: FWIW, I keep a needle in my first aid kit, and like many I use dental floss as thread. Worked fine for various repairs in the past.

Frying pan?

What are the weight of your ski poles? If you're an active pole user, then IMO the same mantra about heavy footwear ("A pound on your feet ...") applies to poles to insofar as you're moving them constantly as you walk. As a somewhat random reference my adjustable, non-shock-absorbing carbon fiber poles weigh 11.6 oz for the pair.

Only insulation layer is a zip-up fleece? Maybe fine, I don't have experience on the AT, but for a mid-Feb start ...

I think it would be particularly interesting in looking at these lists to see the base weight for the total kit. For me, at least, it helps put some gear choices in perspective. I.e., if it's a 25 pound baseweight, a (is it a full sized?) leatherman seems perfectly at home there, whereas for a 12 pound baseweight it seems out of place.

I don't use dental floss at all, and as I mentioned, I only have the frying pan for one month (well, more like a couple weeks) unless I decide to keep it longer, because I actually use it. Not too often for breakfast, but sometimes (usually for dinner). I really do like to use it, mostly on shorter or zero days.

I listed two fleece (didn't I? I think I did), one pullover, one zip up. And patagonia down jacket, and long underwear. It'll be cool, tested it all in this snow this past weekend.

I considered the shock absorbing adjustable poles- but mine are really light. (Lighter than many "trekking" poles), I'll think about it...

And I am going to pack up all my gear/ lay it all out the day after Christmas and check weight and all that jazz. My pack has gotten so much lighter than it used to be, but could get lighter still.

Thanks!

I'll post back here with a clearer, more certain gear list on the 26th, with weight listed...

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:36
Oh, and LOTS of ziploc bags, I waterproof everything, I am a dry gear FANATIC. Hense the Dry Bag for my sleeping bag- submerge it in a river, not water'll touch the contents.

EVERYTHING gets waterproofed. Almost everything, anyway.

mountain squid
12-23-2009, 13:51
Sanitation practices are almost non-existant while long distance hiking. Hand sanitizer will at least help to keep your hands clean. Every year you'll hear of a 'bug' going around and then watch everyone dipping their filthy hands into the community bag of gorp..

A mechanical pencil won't run out of ink, won't explode, won't freeze...

Nalgenes are heavy and bulky. A water bag weighs less and can be folded/rolled when empty.

Don't forget that tiny bottle of sunscreen. It only takes one day of sunshine to get totally burnt...

I carry 1 oz of triptease (http://www.rei.com/product/617569) for any emergency tying needs (not for bear bagging though)...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:56
Meant to mention, most of my list is winter gear, and I'll switch out a lot of it.

A mechanical pencil won't run out of ink, won't explode, won't freeze...

Never thought about it freezing- good call.

Nalgenes are heavy and bulky. A water bag weighs less and can be folded/rolled when empty.

I always take Nalgenes because I like to put hot water in 'em. And I don't really trust bladders or bags.

Don't forget that tiny bottle of sunscreen. It only takes one day of sunshine to get totally burnt...

True- got badly burnt on the descent into Palmerton this summer. But I don't usually carry it in winter. Though now I think about it, there's less foliage, and therefor more sun...

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 14:36
I shocked at the stuff some of you are carrying.

I carry only essentials: extra socks, essential food, stove, tent, bag, pad, headlamp, cellphone. And I layer my clothing. Oh and 1 spork and lighter, fuel and waterbottle.

To each his or her own, I suppose I will rue the day I am missing stuff, but I guess it's a lesson I will learn. I just want to get my pack under 30lbs.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 16:18
It's not as much as you'd think- you can try out my pack weight when you see me on the shakedown.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 16:18
I don't know if you were referring to me or not. (Don't quite have the clothing worked out, think my list so far may be overkill)

Connie
12-23-2009, 17:50
I like to wash up, then, a little cut or scrape isn't heading for an infection.

I take Sea to Summit Pocket Soap (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/55) and a small travel packet of aloe wipes.

I also carry a vial of 3% USP hydrogen peroxide for scrapes and cuts.

But I cannot easily get out to a town, out here.

I do stand by the 1st aid kit I mentioned, here, because it has knuckle bandages, butterfly bandages. etal. and moleskin cut and shaped. I would rather have moleskin with a hole and the moleskin surround the blister, relieving the pressure, than sticking on duct tape. Ow.

takethisbread,

I choose lightweight stuff, but what you said challenged me to think "small kit" again.

I am thinking smaller kitchen: Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/store/p1164/Titanium-Sierra-750/product_info.html), Snow Peak Short Spork (http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cutlery/index.html), Zelph BudLyte Super Stove alcohol stove (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3307) or BudLyte white gas stove (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20two/?action=view&current=SuperStoveModification.flv), TiGoat Titanium Foil (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html) for a making a caldera clone I read about here in the forum, UST WetFire (http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_view.cfm?product_line_ID=157) instead of stinky Esbit, and twiggy fire on nomex sheeting I can use the other side for a sit pad. Everything will fit inside the Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup net bag.

I just participated in an EDC "every-day-carry" contest on another forum that was fun.

It might be interesting to see what people here consider essential for all the "stuff" carried in pockets.

I know I consider fingernail clippers and scissors for trimming toenails essential. On a long hike, your feet with thank you.

On the other hand, I have added a stainless steel "nalgene-size" bottle for boiling water directly in a warming fire. I have been strictly Platypus plusBottle and big inside vest pocket for my water needs, and for distance the Big Zip SL in the pack, but a stainless steel bottle in a sock in the sleeping bag has started to sound good.

That would be Oregon wet and cold.

I wonder what the OP is thinking.

BrianLe
12-23-2009, 18:10
"I know I consider fingernail clippers and scissors for trimming toenails essential."

The little scissors on my 0.8 oz Wenger "Esquire" pocket knife will trim my nails --- even toe-nails --- if I soak the nails first to soften them a bit.

Rhino-Mac
12-23-2009, 18:31
I wonder what the OP is thinking.
About the thread? That there's a lot of good information. Plus I just found a gift-card in my wallet with $82 left on it. :D

Other than that, just that my Patsies will be playing the Jaguars in the wind-chilled 12 degree weather of Foxboro this weekend. We could really use another boost like that Titans game gave us for the playoffs. :)

Oh, and thanks for the links earlier, Connie. That mUV thing was really interesting. That camera mount was interesting too, using the hiking pole. This is pretty much what I have: Tripod (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31X1Y-FQPBL._SL500_AA280_.jpg). Could probably wrap the legs around the pole to do something similar.

takethisbread
12-23-2009, 18:38
I like to wash up, then, a little cut or scrape isn't heading for an infection.

takethisbread,

Snow Peak Short Spork (http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cutlery/index.html), Zelph [URL="http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3307I.
I just did a week where I broke my spork day 1 of a 7 day hike, and ended up using twigs from branches as a utencil.:D

Saved 3ounces!

Chance09
12-23-2009, 19:39
i didn't bother reading through all of the posts so some of this may be a repeat. I'd definitely get a camp towel, comes in handy for drying yourself off but it also works great for drying the inside of your single wall tent. There will be condensation, especially in Feb when you have it as low to the ground as possible for warmth.

I would say you'll be cold CAMPING in Feb with that gear, you'll be more than ok hiking. You might be ok in your sleeping bag, but you'll be cold out of it sitting around. I was cold in my down jacket, long johns, and pants in 20 deg weather in march. That may be fine by you, thats your choice. The way I looked at it towards the end of my hike was if i'm that cold, i'll just get into my sleeping bag.

I wouldn't bother with a filter until you get to VA (pastures and fields) at least. Until then use aquamira or bleach. Bleach is easier IMO because you don't have to wait the 5 min for it to mix. Simply fill up gatorade bottle, add one or two drops, put the bottle back and keep on walking. It's also going to be so cold that things are much less likely to be growing in the water.

I would cut the pages out of your guidebook and just carry a few at a time. I found that it was so much easier to keep them dry (not to mention lighter). I'd keep them in a ziplock bag and I could read the pages thru it. With a book it was a pain to pull it out and try and keep it dry while finding the page i needed.

I think you'll find that if you do actually buy something for bear bagging you'll find that you seldom use it. It does add a little to your piece of mind when camping alone though.

I'm also slightly curious as to why you are starting in Feb? Not a criticism, just curious to as to your reasons.

MuffinMan11
12-23-2009, 19:40
Was out with my mom last weekend and she has made some hot tea and dropped the string into her nalgene bottle. She used her Light My Fire Spork to get it out and as soon as the utensil hit the water it just snapped. She used a 2 inch spoon for her meal that night.

Chance09
12-23-2009, 19:46
oh ya i would also recommend a extra pair of socks or two. Such a great luxury to have at very little additional weight. I would also highly recommend suntan lotion. I laughed at the thought on my thru last year because I tan so well and never burn but I regretted it quite a bit. I was so burnt a few times early on before the leaves came in that I was miserable.

Rhino-Mac
12-23-2009, 20:46
I'm also slightly curious as to why you are starting in Feb? Not a criticism, just curious to as to your reasons.
I'd say the biggest reason would be to get a jump on the pack that'll start in March. Financially, I should be sound. Looking at the calendar it fits right in. Plus, I haven't seen snow in years and was really hoping to see it on my trip up north last month. Weather got into the 20s, but no snow. Plus it fits right into the football offseason, which I spent all of this year checking google to see who we signed or who we released.

Connie
12-23-2009, 21:51
Every plastic or lexan spork I have had has broken in the cold weather.

The Snow Peak Short Spork is titanium.

The Snow Peak website has nice utensils: I like the Short Spork best.

ShelterLeopard
12-28-2009, 12:30
About the whole "short spork" thing. I do not get it.

I mean, I save weight, definitely. But I'm not one of those people who snap the handle off their toothbrush. I like having a full handled spork and toothbrush, thanks. (Besides, it's alread titanium, so it is already very light. I know that the ounces all add up, but stuff like that just doesn't make sense to me. Besides, I'd get soo frustrated if I had to use a midget spork...)

Connie
12-30-2009, 20:38
My cooking pot is Vargo 750ml Sierra Cup and so the "short spork" is just right.

If I do Fosters beer can freezer bag cooking with quart bag in the "Caldera Caddy" then I like a longer handle.

I think the "spork" is a status symbol, much like the Chouinard RURP "Realized Ultimate Reality Piton" for mountainclimbers.

I have one of each.

Besides, it feels so nice in my hand: the Snow Peak titanium "Short Spork" has good human ergonomic design.

. . .

ShelterLeopard
01-04-2010, 13:49
Just personal preference fo me- I don't like the shorter spork. (I like being able to hold on to the end of it and stir inside my nalgene too- so the longer one works best for me)

AggieAl
01-04-2010, 14:49
You might want to test running shoes in snow. I decided to wear some Keen winter boots for the first section to VA. With an El Nino year and a February start we can expect some snow.