PDA

View Full Version : I can't tell you how much the whole "hiker midnight" nonsense annoys me.

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 18:17
That's not true. I can tell you. "Hiker midnight" is a humorous reference to the fact that exhausted hikers find it hard to stay awake past 9pm. It's not a rule. It's not something that can be "disrespected," "ignored," or "violated." It's an observational joke and nothing more.

I'm a respectful guy. And frankly, I'm usually pretty tired at the end of the day and ready to go to sleep. And I've said some things I regret to Boy Scouts who have kept me awake.

But if you want me to turn my headlamp off or quiet down, the way to get me to comply is definitely not saying something to the effect of, "hey, you know, it's past hiker midnight."

If you imagine that the imaginary concept of "hiker midnight" is important, you should probably be in your tent.

mudhead
12-22-2009, 18:30
You been camping with MS? What popped this on your radar?

Does "burnin daylight" chap your hide, too?

Tinker
12-22-2009, 18:32
Overuse of a phrase can render it either ineffective or annoying. I can sympathize with you on this one. It isn't easy to take when you feel like you're being talked down to. Using the phrase might be a person's way of distancing him/herself from the effects of his/her chastisement of another individual - sort of like sarcasm.
On the other hand you must have some idea in mind of how to put it in milder terms. What do you suggest. I've only been faced with this issue a couple of times.
Btw: I just noticed the palindrome. Nicely done.

ShelterLeopard
12-22-2009, 18:36
If I sleep in shelters and someone is being really loud in the middle of the night, I just eat them. My name is "Shelter Leopard" for a reason. (Usually I can judge whether or not people'll be loud, so I tent)

Disney
12-22-2009, 18:44
It always struck me as extremely passive aggressive. People who are annoyed, but don't want to actually confront a stranger. These are the same people who passive aggressively make as much noise as possible in the morning as payback. I think people would be much happier in shelters if they were a) more tolerant of others, b) more considerate to others, c) more direct with their requests.

That being said, one time I didn't follow those goals, I was fairly noisy next to someone who was obviously trying to sleep. He actually rolled over and said "hey man keep it down, I'm trying to sleep." My response: "Hey man, no. It's 5:00 in the afternoon."

Wolf - 23000
12-22-2009, 18:55
Jester,
You must be smoking something. Hikers should be still hiking at 9:00 p.m. or possible just stopping to cook dinner. Why would anyone expect to stop hiking and be in bed by 9:00 p.m.? It too early except maybe in the winter. Then it really gets cold. lol
Hiking at night is the perfect time of day.
Wolf

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 19:12
On the other hand you must have some idea in mind of how to put it in milder terms. . .

I like this solution:

If I sleep in shelters and someone is being really loud in the middle of the night, I just eat them.

Actually, if someone says to me in a nice tone of voice, "hey, I've got a big day planned tomorrow and I want to get up pretty early. Could you keep it down/turn off your light soon?" I'm probably going to do what I can to accomodate them. Many people say that if you're going to stay in a shelter you can't expect others to do what you want to do, but I do see the flip side of that as well -- if I'm going to stay in a shelter I shouldn't go out of my way to annoy everybody just because that's what I feel like doing.

But if someone brings up hiker midnight like it's some kind of rule, I am going to sing "Baby Got Back" again. And then I'm going to hum Queen songs for about 45 minutes.

Jester,
You must be smoking something. Hikers should be still hiking at 9:00 p.m. or possible just stopping to cook dinner. Why would anyone expect to stop hiking and be in bed by 9:00 p.m.? It too early except maybe in the winter. Then it really gets cold. lol
Wolf

On the PCT I started to come around to Wolf's point of view here, but I've got to say that sooner or later I always scare the crap out of myself when nighthiking alone.

So to cut to the chase here, I'll come out and say that Wolf is crazy, and then he'll pretend that he's offended by that, and I'll persist by pointing out that he knows he's crazy, and then I'll point out that his kind of crazy is one of the things that makes me love him, and we'll be good from there.

Tuckahoe
12-22-2009, 19:25
Here is the way I feel about it --

On my hike back in October, we stayed a night at the Blackburn trail center at its hiker cabin. I was beat and I was in bed asleep by 7pm. There were others there, and I couldn't have cared less if they stayed up and talked amongst themselves. I was the one who was in bed rather early I don't think I have much of a right to complain exactly because I was going to bed at a rather early hour. If I wanted total peace, I feel it would be my responsibility to carry myself off somewhere else.

Now, as time advances to the hours that normal people would be going to bed such as say 11pm, then it should be those who want to stay up beyond that time to take themselves away from those who are trying to sleep.

Marta
12-22-2009, 19:27
Does "burnin daylight" chap your hide, too?

Yeah...My hiking schedule is my business.

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 19:37
JESTer I must say that this has to be one of the best threads to be started lately. I love this discussion. :banana:banana:D

DAJA
12-22-2009, 19:38
You can't control others, but you can control how you react to others. People need to chill and learn to roll with whatever. All part of the adventure. If you can't share space with others without demanding everyone else act in accordance with your schedule, then do as I do and camp away from shelters.

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 19:38
JESTer I must say that this has to be one of the best threads to be started lately. I love this discussion. :banana:banana:D

Thanks! I also hate it when people in shelters insist that I stop tickling them. It's not gonna happen.

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 19:41
WHat about how it applies at Hostels. Funny story, bunch of people were at a certain hostel in the south. Bunch of us were sitting around the fire singing songs, havin a blast. I went to my tent to go to sleep. Bout 30 minutes later, An older gentleman hiker came out of one of the cabins and said," Hey we have a big day tomorrow. We are slackpackin 14 miles, can you guys keep it down a little?" Very respectfully! Oh man, every one just laughed at em and started to boo them. The time was 8:00pm. Mind you, everyone was also very drunk.:D

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 19:43
Thanks! I also hate it when people in shelters insist that I stop tickling them. It's not gonna happen.

True story, there was a guy in Georgia, cannot remember his name and he was....................uh.....................flam boyant. He would walk up to people and tickle them. It was just plain weird

stranger
12-22-2009, 20:24
I have a few strong views on this one haha:

Firstly, hiking the Appalachian Trail for long distances is somewhat of a collective hike, meaning while you may hike alone or with just one other person, there are many other hikers out there doing the same thing as you, and for similar reasons. Therefore, when one decides to hike along the AT they must accept ALL that is part of the AT, and hikers my friends, are part of that experience - for better or worse.

Second, people are different, many are amazing people and very friendly, others are socially retarded and incabable of holding a conversation. Some are inconsiderate, others will do anything to help another hiker. Many hikers are young, and some young people stay up late, drink, smoke, do this or that. Some older people like to head to bed early, avoid the party scene, start hiking at 6am. Just because you are on the trail doesn't mean normal life stops, it simply changes somewhat and moves to the trail. The AT is a very social trail, and you are choosing to hike that social trail.

Third, there are many options out there for hikers. There is absolutely no reason to sleep in a shelter every night, shoulder to shoulder, with 10 other hikers - unless you choose to do this. If you choose to sleep in a shelter, you are going to have to deal with other hikers. Hikers who snore, stay up late reading, make noise, fire up a cup of tea at 11pm, get up at 5am, etc... If any of this behavior offends you, you should not sleep in shelters, because when you choose to sleep in a shelter, by default you are accepting you will be compromising from the moment you lay down your pad to the time you leave. Don't want to compromise? Don't, sleep in your tent alone...

"I would rather have 100% of space in my tent than 10% of a shelter anyday"

Lastly, when in town, there is no reason to say in a AT hostel in the vast majority of trail towns. If you choose to say in a hostel to save some money, then you must accept the drawbacks as well. There are plenty of motels along the AT where a hiker can get there own room for $35-50, or split the room with another hiker for $20-25. If you want peace and quiet - trail hostels are not the place to find it. Again, when you choose to visit hostels, you are accepting similar behavior to shelters. If you don't want to deal with this, go to the motel or camp.

I consider myself a very considerate hiker, however, I've learned over the years that most people out there are not experienced hikers who might be on their 3rd or 4th long hike, and have little understanding of trail etiquette. This is just a fact. So I know this information and plan accordingly.

Graywolf
12-22-2009, 20:36
On a bicycle tour though Colorado, I pulled into a campsite, sat up camp, then began to cook my meal.. As I was waiting for the food to cook, I began to do some maintainence on the bike when a guy in the camp next to me came out of his RV and said, "need to hold it down, we are trying t sleep and the quiet zone starts at 10:00pm, it was only 5 in the afternoon..I said, "Sure no problem"..I am by myself so I don't know how much noise I would actually cause..So after dinner i went for a short hike the came back and began to get some sleep, around 9:30pm..So what happens, right at 10:00 pm the guy in the RV starts up his generator..It woke up the whole camp..talking about a single guy on a bike making noise...

Anyway, later that night the camp caretaker came to his RV and told him to either turn the RV off or move it...I was very relieved...

Some people are really inconsiderate of others but and thank only of themselves..

Be nice but practice what you preach

Graywolf

sasquatch2014
12-22-2009, 20:42
I like to try and walk up to a nearby shelter at night during the prime thru season. Sometime my life stuff. feeding the family and the kids homework tend to make my visits close to dark, or hiker midnight. The reception to my presence depends a great deal on if I am hiking beer in or not.

Blissful
12-22-2009, 21:06
Time to tent. And tent well.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2009, 21:42
only fools stay in shelters and hostels. they have no room to whine.

Yahtzee
12-22-2009, 22:02
Can you guys keep it down in here? It's hiker midnight and I have a bunch of forums to read in the morning.

sbhikes
12-22-2009, 22:11
I'm never hiking the AT. Or if I do hike the AT, I'm not sleeping in shelters. Sounds like you may as well go hiking down fraternity row.

For me, "hiker midnight" is more like 7:30.

Wolf - 23000
12-22-2009, 22:19
I like this solution:

Actually, if someone says to me in a nice tone of voice, "hey, I've got a big day planned tomorrow and I want to get up pretty early. Could you keep it down/turn off your light soon?" I'm probably going to do what I can to accomodate them. Many people say that if you're going to stay in a shelter you can't expect others to do what you want to do, but I do see the flip side of that as well -- if I'm going to stay in a shelter I shouldn't go out of my way to annoy everybody just because that's what I feel like doing.

But if someone brings up hiker midnight like it's some kind of rule, I am going to sing "Baby Got Back" again. And then I'm going to hum Queen songs for about 45 minutes.

On the PCT I started to come around to Wolf's point of view here, but I've got to say that sooner or later I always scare the crap out of myself when nighthiking alone.

So to cut to the chase here, I'll come out and say that Wolf is crazy, and then he'll pretend that he's offended by that, and I'll persist by pointing out that he knows he's crazy, and then I'll point out that his kind of crazy is one of the things that makes me love him, and we'll be good from there.

Well Jester, don't hold back. You were so close to coming around on the PCT ... but then you scared yourself. Hiding in your sleeping bag is much safer than being on your feet hiking through the woods. I understand.

Wolf

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 22:39

How many days did you hole up in a motel and watch Jerry Springer????:-?

sheepdog
12-22-2009, 23:01
I hammock

therefore I am

vonfrick
12-22-2009, 23:24
last summer, logan brook shelter, maine...absolutely not a square inch left to tent thanks to the youth groups and work crew, stuck in the shelter with 3 older guys (60-70) who had a "big day planned"- i spent the evening trying to settle in, watch the fire, relax, etc. ended up policing the fire situation after literally jumping out of my bag to stop one of them from putting a plastic bag, full of other plastic trash, into the fire (they'd been out 2 days!:mad:)

anyhoo...back to their "big day"- they went through every gyration imaginable prepping the night before and SET AN ALARM for 5am- which they proceeded to sleep through until i whapped the guy on the back with a solid thud. it still took them over 2 hours to get moving. leave the alarm clocks at home or i will whap you too- consider yourself warned

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 23:40
Well Jester, don't hold back. You were so close to coming around on the PCT ... but then you scared yourself . . .

Wolf

I always imagine I'm being stalked by Wolf - 23000.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-22-2009, 23:44
It always struck me as extremely passive aggressive. People who are annoyed, but don't want to actually confront a stranger. These are the same people who passive aggressively make as much noise as possible in the morning as payback. I think people would be much happier in shelters if they were a) more tolerant of others, b) more considerate to others, c) more direct with their requests.

That being said, one time I didn't follow those goals, I was fairly noisy next to someone who was obviously trying to sleep. He actually rolled over and said "hey man keep it down, I'm trying to sleep." My response: "Hey man, no. It's 5:00 in the afternoon."
Amen to that Disney!

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-22-2009, 23:47
Jester,
Wolf
I wish folks made it a point to do some night hiking - just to see that "other world". The Smokys at night are amazing!

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 23:57
I wish folks made it a point to do some night hiking - just to see that "other world". The Smokys at night are amazing!

I did quite a lot of night hiking on the PCT, particularly when there was a full moon. Hiking with a moon bright enough that you don't need a headlamp is amazing.

On the Long Trail most of my night hikes were accidental, with Funkee and I screwing around during the day and deciding that we wanted to get some more miles in.

On the AT I only recall two nights of hiking, one being a 34 mile hike overnight to make it into Erwin in time to hit the Pizza Hut AYCE.

I'd say I did somewhere in the range of 30 night hikes on the PCT. My favorite by far was The Hat Creek Rim, with two of my friends. I prefer to night hike with others, due to my aforementioned penchant for scaring the crap out of myself.

But night hiking is definitely fun, and a whole different way to see the world around you.

JoshStover
12-23-2009, 00:21

And why are you a fool if you choose to stay in a shelter. Some people may argue that you are a fool if you tent/hammock. It is personal preference and I think its a little hard to call someone a fool for where they choose to sleep.

Montana AT05
12-23-2009, 00:55
And people wonder why some of us talk about the increased presence of bureaucracy on trail.

Marta
12-23-2009, 08:17
anyhoo...back to their "big day"- they went through every gyration imaginable prepping the night before and SET AN ALARM for 5am- which they proceeded to sleep through until i whapped the guy on the back with a solid thud. it still took them over 2 hours to get moving. leave the alarm clocks at home or i will whap you too- consider yourself warned

That alarm-setting thing... I was in Lonesome Lake Hut and a father/daughter pair set a really loud alarm for 5 a.m. so they could get up and look for moose. Did they wake up? Of course not.

As a petty revenge, as soon as it was light, while Dad was still snoring away (oh, yeah, he snored all night), I got up and made as much noise as I could...

Lone Wolf
12-23-2009, 08:26
How many days did you hole up in a motel and watch Jerry Springer????:-?

a motel isn't a hostel or shelter

Hyway
12-23-2009, 08:51
When my daughters were 10 and 12 years old we were on a group canoe camping trip in the summer. Around 7 pm, this other couple were trying to put their 7 and 9 year old sons to bed in their tent. I felt kind of bad for them since my kids were laughing and squealing and splashing around in the river only 50' from their tent. Finally that got some sense and let their kids go play. 3 hours later after swimming, fishing with cane poles, playing flashlight tag and eating smores the kids went to sleep almost the instant they crawled into their sleeping bags.

Later, the mother (who practically singed my hair off with her scowl when she finally let her kids go play with mine) later said to me that she was so glad my kids were there because her boys had so much fun playing with them.

saimyoji
12-23-2009, 09:56
leave the alarm clocks at home or i will whap you too- consider yourself warned

i am definately bringing my alarm clock from now on. :D

warraghiyagey
12-23-2009, 10:07
If you imagine that the imaginary concept of "hiker midnight" is important, you should probably be in your tent.

Well said!! . . . :sun

anyhoo...back to their "big day"- they went through every gyration imaginable prepping the night before and SET AN ALARM for 5am- which they proceeded to sleep through until i whapped the guy on the back with a solid thud.
I saw that happen. . . it was AWESOME. . . the only people the alarm didn't wake were the three asshats that set it. . . .

And why are you a fool if you choose to stay in a shelter. Some people may argue that you are a fool if you tent/hammock. It is personal preference and I think its a little hard to call someone a fool for where they choose to sleep.
That's just Wolf. . . he means no harm. . . .:) . . . once you realize that he's the funniest (expetive) on this sight. . . :p

As for hiker midnight, I get the concept of being considerate but it's a two way street. . . If you think everybody should instantly be quiet cuz it's 9 pm you can really just eat me cuz you put yourself in that situation, and I'm not gonna complain if I go to bed early and others are still up and about. . .

saimyoji
12-23-2009, 10:19
If you think everybody should instantly be quiet cuz it's 9 pm you can really just eat me cuz you put yourself in that situation, and I'm not gonna complain if I go to bed early and others are still up and about. . .

eggzackly....one time i was in a shelter, and these three college kids were playin' a card game trying their best to be quiet.....and i kept trying be quiet too, but my gas just kept building and building....

....so finally i didn't care, i let one rip. it was so loud it shook the shelter floor and woke up the dude next to me. those three kids were doubled over with laughter as i slowly drifted off to sleep....so it just goes to show ya..... :)

...some noises can be nice to hear....and make. :p

toenail
12-23-2009, 10:37
People in hammocks, look like a big burrito to a bear! Always stay in a shelter. There is safety in numbers. And you can always toss out the weak and infirm if one of those bears come around. Not that a bear scares me, i'm just saying.

warraghiyagey
12-23-2009, 10:39
People in hammocks, look like a big burrito to a bear! . . .
They look like a pinata to me. . . .

Jester2000
12-23-2009, 10:40
As for hiker midnight, I get the concept of being considerate but it's a two way street. . .

And the whole point of me starting this thread was that "hiker midnight" has nothing to do with being considerate. It's a joke. "HIKER MIDNIGHT" IS A JOKE.

I'm not saying it's a joke because it's ignored, and I'm not saying it's a joke because it should be ignored, I'm saying it's a joke because it is literally a joke.

It's a joke based on hikers' difficulty in staying awake past 9pm. As in, hikers get to town and plan on partying all night, and they all fall asleep at 9pm, because it's hiker midnight. That kind of joke.

It's been turned into something having to do with consideration and being loud or quiet because there are a whole lot of people out there who don't realize that it's a joke.

kanga
12-23-2009, 10:44
are you sure it's a joke?

toenail
12-23-2009, 10:44

No doubt. You know what a bear calls a hiker with pepper spray....extra spicey!

Jester2000
12-23-2009, 10:46
are you sure it's a joke?

Yep. My name's Jester. I'm an expert.

sasquatch2014
12-23-2009, 11:01

No doubt. You know what a bear calls a hiker with pepper spray....extra spicey!

They say to wear small bells to alert bears to your presence. you can also tell when you have crossed from Black Bear territory to Grizzly territory by the scat. Black Bear scat tends to have some undigested berry seeds in it. Grizzly scat tends to have little bells in it.

I had a bear nudge into me in my hammock one night in SNP as I was drifting off to sleep. I yelled, more accurately it could be called screaming like a frightened child, and it ran off crashing through the woods. Took a while to fall back asleep. It was OK that I screamed because it just a few moments before Hiker Midnight.

toenail
12-23-2009, 11:12
[quote=sasquatch2014;938208]They say to wear small bells to alert bears to your presence. you can also tell when you have crossed from Black Bear territory to Grizzly territory by the scat. Black Bear scat tends to have some undigested berry seeds in it. Grizzly scat tends to have little bells in it.

You would probably make it more convienent for the bear if you rang one of those old triangles, like Hop Sing used on Bonanaza, and yelled "come and get it".

sheepdog
12-23-2009, 11:19
I have a machette named Wilson. Each nite at the shelter I talk to Wilson and tell him he will be able to cut something soon. I usually sharpen him a little and give him a couple swings. Then I tell him its bed time and we go to sleep. It is usually very very quite. hehehehehehehehe

toenail
12-23-2009, 11:32
I'm sure Wilson is a very nice machette.

Fiddleback
12-23-2009, 11:32
Overuse of a phrase can render it either ineffective or annoying.

Right on, right on right on!

FB:D

toenail
12-23-2009, 11:41
I think the bears would also appreciate it if hikers would carry some dipping sauces with them. BBQ, honey mustard, that would be nice. Or make it a full deal meal, by pitching some tater wedges and biscuits from the "Stop and Rob" in the hammock with you.

Wise Old Owl
12-23-2009, 11:44
I hammock

therefore I am

I was just about to say I don't get this whole thread - now I do...:-?

sheepdog
12-23-2009, 11:45
I was just about to say I don't get this whole thread - now I do...:-?
glad I could clarify

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 11:49
http://www.newyorker.com/images/2009/10/12/cartoons/091012_cartoon_d_a14322_p465.gif

healthymom
12-23-2009, 11:53
OK, I hike with my son. We have different biological rhythms. He passes out as soon as it's dark. I usually read, journal, etc with a flashlight for an hour or two. I'm very quiet, after all, my son is sleeping. I keep my back to him and try to block as much light as possible with my body.
This is the way he and I have always worked together. He also gets up before I do in the morning and quietly putters til I get up.
My thought process is that when we hike the AT, I will probably do the same. I will try to take a spot near the wall (if available) and quietly read or journal with a flashlight for a bit before turning in.
So the question is, am I going to be upsetting people with this behavior? I have no intention of doing so.
Dee
healthymom

Spokes
12-23-2009, 11:56
Does tapping out messages in Morse Code on shelter walls count?

Jester2000
12-23-2009, 12:04
OK, I hike with my son. We have different biological rhythms. He passes out as soon as it's dark. I usually read, journal, etc with a flashlight for an hour or two. I'm very quiet, after all, my son is sleeping. I keep my back to him and try to block as much light as possible with my body.
This is the way he and I have always worked together. He also gets up before I do in the morning and quietly putters til I get up.
My thought process is that when we hike the AT, I will probably do the same. I will try to take a spot near the wall (if available) and quietly read or journal with a flashlight for a bit before turning in.
So the question is, am I going to be upsetting people with this behavior? I have no intention of doing so.
Dee
healthymom

Dee -- I did what you're planning all the time, and no one seemed all that put out. You can always sleep with your head facing the opposite direction as everyone else, and you may want to invest in a headlamp with a red bulb setting, which seems to bother people less.

Jester2000
12-23-2009, 12:05
Dee -- I did what you're planning all the time, and no one seemed all that put out. You can always sleep with your head facing the opposite direction as everyone else, and you may want to invest in a headlamp with a red bulb setting, which seems to bother people less.

I wasn't really planning on being even remotely helpful to anyone in this thread, so that post was lind of weird.

toenail
12-23-2009, 12:12
Sometimes, I wish my life was just like that guy on that show, "Grizzley Man Diarys". I've never seen how the series ends, but I think it's just wonderful how man and grizzley bears can peacefully co-exist.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:15
Dee
healthymom

It'll be totally fine. Hikers are good at blocking out light, just never shine a flashlight directly in a sleeping hiker's face...Ever.

Seriously? It'll be fine. If anyone is irritated that you're quietly reading, they should be in a tent.

saimyoji
12-23-2009, 12:23
Does tapping out messages in Morse Code on shelter walls count?

yeah, go for it, just blame it on the mice.

Deadeye
12-23-2009, 12:54
What a bunch of crappy attitudes. :mad:

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:57
Are you serious Deadeye? Did you even read the responses on this page?

bronconite
12-23-2009, 13:09
Sometimes, I wish my life was just like that guy on that show, "Grizzley Man Diarys". I've never seen how the series ends, but I think it's just wonderful how man and grizzley bears can peacefully co-exist.

He and his girlfriend got eaten, and the bear was destroyed.

sheepdog
12-23-2009, 13:14
He and his girlfriend got eaten, and the bear was destroyed.
yeah they got it all on film

gizzly:-?

mweinstone
12-23-2009, 14:02
complete pankcake mix, water, freezed dryed blueberrys and no oil on a teflon msr pan hot.

Buzz_Lightfoot
12-23-2009, 14:03
does Tapping Out Messages In Morse Code On Shelter Walls Count?

.--. ... . / ..-. .-. - / --- -- / .. - ... / ----. .--. -- !!

Buzz_Lightfoot
12-23-2009, 14:04

They eat him in the end.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 14:08
What's 9PM Buzz? Hiker midnight?

Buzz_Lightfoot
12-23-2009, 14:16
What's 9PM Buzz? Hiker midnight?

No, it's working-man-fool bedtime.

How many hikers have you eaten and where?

I'll have to hit that section of trail if crowding gets to me.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 14:19
I think the tally is at 57, makes it easier, don't have to carry food.

I usually end up eating scout leaders- the ones who beguile the innocent boys into thinking there is no trail longer than one mile, and there will always be a pickup truck with a grill parked nearby, and lighter fluid is the only way to start a fire. And that it is "okay" for the whole troup to sleep in the shelter. Grrr.... munch munch.

Deadeye
12-23-2009, 14:51
Are you serious Deadeye? Did you even read the responses on this page?

'course not... people with crappy attitudes don't read what other people write here, nor do we care. I just don't understand why some people get their knickers in a twist over sharing the trail with other people.

Buzz_Lightfoot
12-23-2009, 15:48
I think the tally is at 57, makes it easier, don't have to carry food.

I usually end up eating scout leaders- the ones who beguile the innocent boys into thinking there is no trail longer than one mile, and there will always be a pickup truck with a grill parked nearby, and lighter fluid is the only way to start a fire. And that it is "okay" for the whole troup to sleep in the shelter. Grrr.... munch munch.

The older ones have more gristle.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 16:14
I know, that's why I carry toothpicks. :D

toenail
12-23-2009, 16:15
Well, thats just going to ruin any kind of cliffhanger for season 2.

toenail
12-23-2009, 17:18
Two grizzlies where eating a clown. One said to the other "does this taste funny to you?"

ozt42
12-23-2009, 17:43
If a little noise and light keeps you awake you didn't put in enough miles that day.

of course, I'm one of "those people" that passes out promptly at dark and wakes up 45 minutes before sunrise. How much noise I make when I'm cooking breakfast entirely depends on how considerate my shelter-mates were the night before...

Mags
12-23-2009, 17:45
Four pages that succinctly describe why I prefer to use my own tent or tarp. ;)

Slo-go'en
12-23-2009, 17:49
Its the snoring of those early to bed people that keep me up at night!

K-dog
12-23-2009, 18:30
I've been lurking on WhiteBlaze for, I dunno, 5 years, and enjoy the reading.

If I've gleaned any one thing from this site, it's this: If I ever do hike the AT (or any long trail, for that matter), I will never stay in a shelter.

(I'm in California and I hike the Sierras).

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 19:36

If I've gleaned any one thing from this site, it's this: If I ever do hike the AT (or any long trail, for that matter), I will never stay in a shelter.

No no no! You have to stay in one at least once, it's part of the experience. (And if anything, later you can complain about it! :D )

Chaco Taco
12-23-2009, 19:59
There was a group of us last year at Wesser Shelter. We were tented up on the trail a click. We met a bunch of thru's, one of them being a crazy SOB. He was the biggest know it all, weirdest dude I have met on the trail. Well a bunch of us are hanging out at the fire talkin and sippin a little somethin. Some of us were eating dinner. Well the crazy guy yells out from the shelter, "Hey you guys need to shut the ef up. Im trying to sleep. Well the sun hadnt even set yet so it was maybe 730. One of the guys said back, "hey man, its early as hell and some of us just got here." The crazy guy jumped out of the shelter and just lost it. Cussin, threatining to hurt people. Almost hit a friend of mine. We all migrated up to where Wak and I had camped and had a good time. Now the moral of the story is that if you stay in a shelter, it aint bedtime just cuz you lay down and everyone else is doing stuff. I hate the whole hiker midnight BS. Much easier to just camp.

Chaco Taco
12-23-2009, 20:02
Its the snoring of those early to bed people that keep me up at night!

Carlo Cole Shelter in Maine. No matter where he turned, he just couldnt stop snoring. Worst nights sleep on the trail!!!

sheepdog
12-23-2009, 20:07
shelters suck

it had to be said

Blissful
12-23-2009, 20:21

Hey Lone Wolf - a convert!!! :banana

...Now LW will ever so slowly convert you to using your food bag as a pillow...

:D

Mango
12-23-2009, 20:58
But if someone brings up hiker midnight like it's some kind of rule, I am going to sing "Baby Got Back" again. And then I'm going to hum Queen songs for about 45 minutes. Jester 2008

Just make sure your family has the dental records handy.

Foyt20
12-23-2009, 21:54
But if someone brings up hiker midnight like it's some kind of rule, I am going to sing "Baby Got Back" again. And then I'm going to hum Queen songs for about 45 minutes. Jester 2008

If you press the little quote button in the bottom right corner of the post you dont have to italicize the post to make people know it came from somewhere else.

And Jester, you hum those Queen songs, because as an adult, I know how to handle myself when I want to do something like go to sleep, like go to my tent, or put in my headphones to drown out the world. :D

sheepdog
12-23-2009, 22:35
If you press the little quote button in the bottom right corner of the post you dont have to italicize the post to make people know it came from somewhere else.

And Jester, you hum those Queen songs, because as an adult, I know how to handle myself when I want to do something like go to sleep, like go to my tent, or put in my headphones to drown out the world. :D
like this.....

Wolf - 23000
12-23-2009, 23:33
I always imagine I'm being stalked by Wolf - 23000.

I'm flatted that I have so much influence on your hike and your desire to hiding in your sleeping bags and you think of me. :eek: I'm not trying to judge. In my line of work we have a saying, "Don't ask, don't tell."

If it is any comfort, Jester2000 in his sleeping bag thinking of me is extremely scare to myself and I hope ever guy here so rest assure that I will stay away on this island paradise. :D

Wolf

Wolf - 23000
12-23-2009, 23:40
i Know, That's Why I Carry Toothpicks. :d

Extra Weight!!!:d

Miner
12-24-2009, 00:12
If people like to stay up late making noise, then I don't need to worry about not making those bear noises when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the toliet. For some reason, people don't seem to sleep very well after that.

ChinMusic
12-24-2009, 00:22
This thread reminds me of why I carry earplugs...............AND tent.

srestrepo
12-24-2009, 02:30

If i'm ever lucky enough to be around to hear the singing and humming start, i'm gonna start doing the beatbox with my mouth to all of the aforementioned songs... its an unrealistic expectation that because some douche wants to bed up at 730 it doesn't mean the rest of us have to. i've never thru'd but i've met some characters at some shelters. its not even like they're nice about it. no sympathy!

Jonnycat
12-24-2009, 04:08
If you want to party and hoop and holler, stay in town.

When it gets dark in the woods, people go to bed. Keep quiet.

There are strange people who go out into the woods to get away from city people and their city noise, and when you keep them away they can do unpredictable things.

I'm just sayin....

Egads
12-24-2009, 06:52
Jester, I can't tell you how much the whole thread about "hiker midnight" nonsense annoys me.

Lilred
12-24-2009, 11:55
I stayed in a hostel once in Erwin, and I was sleeping on the couch, or at least trying to. About four or five people were in the kitchen partying, drinking, and being as loud as they wanted. I was heading out the next morning to do a slack pack and couldn't get to sleep until after 3 am. The very next night, that group goes to bed around 8, cause they're gonna slack pack Roan the next day. About four of us are sitting in the living room watching a movie. One of the women gets out of bed, comes into the living room, and without saying a word, turns down the TV to the point where we couldn't hear it. When I pointed out her rudeness, she informed me that she was hiking in the morning. I informed her that that was too bad, and turned the TV right back up again. I told her I would give her the same consideration she gave me the night before. Well, you thought I had insulted the queen. This is a woman who has thru hiked the AT more than once and is considered a 'trail angel' by many. I consider her an idiot.....

Another elitist hiker that thinks people owe her something cause she hikes the AT I guess.

I don't stay in dorm-like hostels anymore...

superman
12-24-2009, 12:04
One of the ways you can tell that you're getting old is that you observe hiker mid-night....at home.:-?

ChinMusic
12-24-2009, 12:12
I stayed in a hostel once in Erwin, and I was sleeping on the couch, or at least trying to. About four or five people were in the kitchen partying, drinking, and being as loud as they wanted. I was heading out the next morning to do a slack pack and couldn't get to sleep until after 3 am. The very next night, that group goes to bed around 8, cause they're gonna slack pack Roan the next day. About four of us are sitting in the living room watching a movie. One of the women gets out of bed, comes into the living room, and without saying a word, turns down the TV to the point where we couldn't hear it. When I pointed out her rudeness, she informed me that she was hiking in the morning. I informed her that that was too bad, and turned the TV right back up again. I told her I would give her the same consideration she gave me the night before. Well, you thought I had insulted the queen. This is a woman who has thru hiked the AT more than once and is considered a 'trail angel' by many. I consider her an idiot.....

Another elitist hiker that thinks people owe her something cause she hikes the AT I guess.

I don't stay in dorm-like hostels anymore...
Hotels: Lone Wolf's recommendations are sounding better and better every day.

CrumbSnatcher
12-24-2009, 13:20
its hard to have a bad motel night

Foyt20
12-24-2009, 13:31

When it gets dark in the woods, people go to bed. Keep quiet.

There are strange people who go out into the woods to get away from city people and their city noise, and when you keep them away they can do unpredictable things.

I'm just sayin....

I think that there is a reasonable expectation for people to be respectful, but if someone is working on their bike next to a motor home, or sitting around a campfire while it is still light out, or even dark for that matter, and are being respectful of the people around them, then the people that are trying to sleep at an hour that would be perceived as early in a nursing home should take reasonable steps to ensure that they can get to sleep. The people that have an issue with people around them being "unruly" should wear earplugs, and covering their eyes and there will be no issue what so ever.

It is a public place and anyone has access to it without set "lights out" rules. Just try to get along, and everyone here needs to stop being so e-tough and making threats to people that may be 1000 miles away from them.

And just to lighten this post, a banana who seems to be dancing, oooo gosh I hope he stops a "hiker Midnight".

:banana

mweinstone
12-24-2009, 16:28
sleep is valuble. thats why folks steal it alot.

wakapak
12-24-2009, 16:43
Jester, I can't tell you how much the whole thread about "hiker midnight" nonsense annoys me.

priceless!! :p

Rockhound
12-24-2009, 17:15
"you gonna eat all of that?". "It's not the heat. It's the humidity." "Hot enough for ya today?" "I don't think the heavy stuffs coming down for a while yet." Hey did you see my...." "Hey how much further until...." "I normally wouldn't say anything but,..." "If I were you I'd...." "Time for bed it's hiker midnight"

Lilred
12-24-2009, 17:28
Hotels: Lone Wolf's recommendations are sounding better and better every day.

Yup, I took his advice a long time ago, on many things

Graywolf
12-24-2009, 20:16
The way I feel, and this also applys to shelters, not just tenting, is I am out there to enjoy the trail.I want to experiance every aspect of it and so sometimes I don't want to turn in just because it gets dark..I don't make a lot of rackett, I just sit there and lsten to the night sounds and enjoying the night air..That for me relaxes me, and if anyone has a problem with that, well,, Thats your problem...But I am not going a sleep when there is still 2 hours of day light left when hikers can enjoy being on the trail and not hiking..

So ENJOY...

Sounds like to me a lot of city folk go and hike the trail, and take along their neighborhood watch with them..

Lets enjoy the trail folks...We are all out there for the same reason..or at least I think we are..

Graywolf

sheepdog
12-25-2009, 18:16
It is a public place and anyone has access to it without set "lights out" rules. Just try to get along, and everyone here needs to stop being so e-tough and making threats to people that may be 1000 miles away from them.

And just to lighten this post, a banana who seems to be dancing, oooo gosh I hope he stops a "hiker Midnight".

:banana
The farther I am from you the tougher I get

put em up:D

Foyt20
12-25-2009, 20:38
The farther I am from you the tougher I get

put em up:D

Oh Sheepdog, dont worry you werent who I was refering to. But Im glad to hear that :D

kanga
12-25-2009, 20:47
blah, blah, blah

sheepdog
12-25-2009, 22:21
blah, blah, blah
are we ready to be done??

Foyt20
12-25-2009, 22:38
Done with what? This is fun :D

kanga
12-25-2009, 23:48
Done with what? This is fun :D
do you have 6 fingers?

Foyt20
12-26-2009, 01:10
do you have 6 fingers?

No, 10. One of them is broken, so I cant hit shift too well. So I guess thats like 9 and 3/4 for the time being.

Graywolf
12-26-2009, 02:10
QUIET ALREADY!!! ITS 12:09 MIDNIGHT, IT'S AFTER HIKER MIDNIGHT!!!!

chirp chirp

Foyt20
12-26-2009, 16:09
:D

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters

Jester2000
12-28-2009, 14:25
What a bunch of crappy attitudes. :mad:

I find it all rather entertaining.

Well, this is just one of the reasons that I always have a miniature print out of my will and living will on me when hiking, with contact info. But I have to believe the dental records will be unnecessary. Does anyone hate Queen so much that they'd incinerate my body? Maybe.

Hahahahaha! You could start a thread about it!

I don't think I'd ever feel like hollering, but I reserve the right to hoop.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 19:24
I find it all rather entertaining.

Well, this is just one of the reasons that I always have a miniature print out of my will and living will on me when hiking, with contact info. But I have to believe the dental records will be unnecessary. Does anyone hate Queen so much that they'd incinerate my body? Maybe.

Hahahahaha! You could start a thread about it!

I don't think I'd ever feel like hollering, but I reserve the right to hoop.

Boo hoo all you buncha winers. If you have a problem with the noise, go tent. Shelters are very social. If you want solitude pitch your tent. I dont think everyone has to be quiet just cuz you decide its YOUR bedtime. If I was hanging out around a shelter and someone "shooshes" me, Ill tell ya where you can stick it. And if Im tenting and we have a fire, and we are talking and having fun, go somewhere else. But if you are going to ask people to quiet down, dont be a jerk about it. 9 times outta 10, people will quiet down for you

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 19:28
chaco farted.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:36
chaco farted.

Yep and it always smells like esbits

Foyt20
12-29-2009, 21:02
So wait, why did I get asked how many fingers I had?

kanga
12-29-2009, 21:03
sigh. google the six fingered man.

sheepdog
12-29-2009, 21:24
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

squeezebox
12-29-2009, 22:09
Huey, Duey, and Luey are the only characters I can remember, If I can get rid of this blond hair, I'll probably remember the other 6. to get 10.

nighthiker
10-09-2010, 12:48
Can you guys keep it down in here? It's hiker midnight and I have a bunch of forums to read in the morning.
nice, like this post the most...if you dont want a social hike...stay home! thats my spin on this forum

mweinstone
10-09-2010, 19:51
i like being kept awake by human voice no mater how loud or with music or drums or anything. my favorite noise to sleep to is a playground full of screeming wild children. dont care why. i like that. allways will. its my best sleeps. quiet keeps me wide awake. quiet is when the boogie man always came .

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2010, 20:07
That's not true. I can tell you. "Hiker midnight" is a humorous reference to the fact that exhausted hikers find it hard to stay awake past 9pm. It's not a rule. It's not something that can be "disrespected," "ignored," or "violated." It's an observational joke and nothing more.

I'm a respectful guy. And frankly, I'm usually pretty tired at the end of the day and ready to go to sleep. And I've said some things I regret to Boy Scouts who have kept me awake.

But if you want me to turn my headlamp off or quiet down, the way to get me to comply is definitely not saying something to the effect of, "hey, you know, it's past hiker midnight."

That's not BScouts! That's Greenhorn treenage shelter behavior.... They all do that ... your getting older!:D

Jester2000
10-09-2010, 20:40
That's not BScouts! That's Greenhorn treenage shelter behavior.... They all do that ... your getting older!:D

Well, the incident I was referencing happened when I was 30, which maybe was old. But they were definitely Boy Scouts.

Incidentally, I had an encounter with a large group of teens while on the Long Trail who arrived at Governor Clement Shelter to drink & carry on.

When the three hikers there explained how tired we were, and how we really needed sleep, they apologized and went elsewhere.

So there are some good teens out there.

harryfred
10-09-2010, 21:00
I have a few strong views on this one haha:

Firstly, hiking the Appalachian Trail for long distances is somewhat of a collective hike, meaning while you may hike alone or with just one other person, there are many other hikers out there doing the same thing as you, and for similar reasons. Therefore, when one decides to hike along the AT they must accept ALL that is part of the AT, and hikers my friends, are part of that experience - for better or worse.

Second, people are different, many are amazing people and very friendly, others are socially retarded and incabable of holding a conversation. Some are inconsiderate, others will do anything to help another hiker. Many hikers are young, and some young people stay up late, drink, smoke, do this or that. Some older people like to head to bed early, avoid the party scene, start hiking at 6am. Just because you are on the trail doesn't mean normal life stops, it simply changes somewhat and moves to the trail. The AT is a very social trail, and you are choosing to hike that social trail.

Third, there are many options out there for hikers. There is absolutely no reason to sleep in a shelter every night, shoulder to shoulder, with 10 other hikers - unless you choose to do this. If you choose to sleep in a shelter, you are going to have to deal with other hikers. Hikers who snore, stay up late reading, make noise, fire up a cup of tea at 11pm, get up at 5am, etc... If any of this behavior offends you, you should not sleep in shelters, because when you choose to sleep in a shelter, by default you are accepting you will be compromising from the moment you lay down your pad to the time you leave. Don't want to compromise? Don't, sleep in your tent alone...

"I would rather have 100% of space in my tent than 10% of a shelter anyday"

Lastly, when in town, there is no reason to say in a AT hostel in the vast majority of trail towns. If you choose to say in a hostel to save some money, then you must accept the drawbacks as well. There are plenty of motels along the AT where a hiker can get there own room for $35-50, or split the room with another hiker for $20-25. If you want peace and quiet - trail hostels are not the place to find it. Again, when you choose to visit hostels, you are accepting similar behavior to shelters. If you don't want to deal with this, go to the motel or camp.

I consider myself a very considerate hiker, however, I've learned over the years that most people out there are not experienced hikers who might be on their 3rd or 4th long hike, and have little understanding of trail etiquette. This is just a fact. So I know this information and plan accordingly.
This cat got it right. I prefer my tent but some times I roll in late and use the shelter I snore and fart. I try to be cool but I still need to cook my supper and get water. I deal with you and you deal with me. Oh Yeah Jester i've had a lot of scotch:D

harryfred
10-09-2010, 21:30

Thats untill you misjudge how far you can hike in one day and you can't find a place to pitch a tent and you stumble in at 10:00 at night. You pull out your bag and fall aslep on the first spot you can find.

njordan2
10-09-2010, 21:37
My hiker midnight starts around 7:00pm. It does not matter if people are talking, laughing, cooking or anything else.

I sleep like a baby: I wake up every hour crying and puking in a puddle of p!ss and *****.

Wise Old Owl
10-09-2010, 21:46
good to hear Jester.

Sierra Echo
10-09-2010, 21:48
Btw: I just noticed the palindrome. Nicely done.

Where?? I cant find it!

harryfred
10-09-2010, 21:51
Where?? I cant find it!
Look at Jesters tag line.

Sierra Echo
10-09-2010, 21:53
Look at Jesters tag line.

Oh!!! I was reading everything but that! :D
Thank yoU!

Grampie
10-10-2010, 11:01