PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Trail Hipscotch

jorhawle
12-22-2009, 23:10
3-4 of us are heading to the Smokies that last week of March into April for a week. Would love to do the AT, but it will just be too crowded. This question is for anyone very familiar with the park. Here is what my itinerary includes...I just want to know if it's realistic and what I can expect....
Fontana Dam AT--> Lost Cove Trail--> Lakeshore Trail-->Hazel Creek Trail--> Welch Ridge Trail-->Jonas Creek Trail-->AT at Clingmans Dome--> Goshen Prong--> Little River Trail--> Cucumber Gap Trail--> Meigs Mountain Trail--> Bote Mountain Trail--> Anthony Creek Trail--> Russell Field Trail--> AT--> Fontana

We have 1 full week to complete this hike. Looking at my guides it sure seems like we would see EVERYTHING the Smokeys have to offer via this HUGE loop.

shoe
12-22-2009, 23:48
You won't see Clingman's Dome if you are hitting the Goshen Spring Trail unless you plan on backtracking.

Betweem Meigs Mountain Trail you will have to hike Lumber Ridge Trail & West Prong Trail...not sure if you calculated this mileage or not.

I would probably just continue up the Bote Mountain Trail to the AT, but you could decide that while hiking.

Looks like a nice loop. I don't think I could do it in a week but they don't call me the slowest hiker on earth for nothing :)

If you don't get much response here, post over at Backpacker magazine forums in the Southern section. There is a great # of people that are very experienced with the Smokies.

Have an awesome trip

Ox97GaMe
12-23-2009, 00:21
Shoe,
It is a very nice loop and you will see lots of what the park has to offer. Sure, you will miss Clingman's Dome, but you will get some really nice views from a couple other balds that will be just as nice and not overrun by tourists.

There is a LOT of elevation change on the route you listed. It will slow you down considerably. That time of year, dont plan on more than 10-12 miles/day unless you plan to hike into the night. An inshape hiker might be able to pull a coule of 14-16 mile days, but dont count on doing that every day in the park while carrying a pack. Some climbs in the Smokies are as strenuous as hiking in the Whites (4000+ vertical ft).

Night hiking is not always a good idea when trying to find the campsites. Campsites are marked with only a 4x4 post about 2 ft high. They are not directly on the trail. Some are obvious to see, others I have walked right by even in the daytime.

Also be aware that several of the trails you mention have stream crossings that will not have bridges. This means you will have to be aware of weather conditions. high amounts of rain, or prolonged weather systems may have crossings near impassible. The National Geographic park map lists the crossings to be aware of. They are identified on that map for a reason. Dont take them lightly, especially in heavy rain. I have seen debris marks as high as 10 ft above the trail on some crossing in the park. There have been some springs where bridges have been washed completely away.

If you have questions about your hike, or want to discusss alternatives, shoot me a PM.

SMHC Trail Maintainer
SMNP 900 Miler

Ox97GaMe
12-23-2009, 00:25
Almost forgot another important item.

That time of year, the park is prone to winter storm systems. Some years, they have gotten a couple feet of snow in a single day. (They got 22 inches this past weekend). Have an alternate plan ready, should you encounter heavy snow and need to bail.

humunuku
12-23-2009, 13:13
Looking at my guides it sure seems like we would see EVERYTHING the Smokeys have to offer via this HUGE loop.

Not even close to everything the park has to offer -would be a nice loop though

Hikes in Rain
12-23-2009, 13:32
Don't worry about missing Clingman's Dome...heck, you can drive there! Terrific sounding loop...something I wouldn't mind doing some time. I'd love to hear how it goes when you get back.

jorhawle
12-23-2009, 13:43
Thank-you all for your input, especially about the elevation changes. We are definitely going to park a car somewhere near Chimney Tops or New Found Gap as possible bail-out areas. I will definitely let you know how the hike turns out!!!