PDA

View Full Version : So, the ATC is changing its name. Any ideas?

SavageLlama
09-03-2004, 09:07
So what should be the new name of the Appalachian Trail Conference?

SavageLlama
09-03-2004, 10:43
Looks like Appalachian Trail Conservancy has been proposed.

This is from the latest Trailway News:

"Already some ideas have emerged. For example, we think it’s important to keep "<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><ST1:place>Appalachian Trail</ST1:place>” in our name, since the A.T. has such widespread public recognition and since it is at the heart of who we are. It would be nice to keep the same abbreviation, “ATC,” that people know us by. One idea that would do both is “Appalachian Trail Conservancy.” That’s certainly one we’ll consider, but our marketing study surely will identify others. We welcome your thoughts on whether we should change our name, and, if we do, what it should be. Our goal is to make any change effective at the next biennial membership meeting, in <st1:place><st1:City>Johnson City</st1:City>, <st1:State>Tennessee</st1:State></st1:place>, in July 2005."

Rain Man
09-03-2004, 10:48
So what should be the new name of the Appalachian Trail Conference?

I think it should be "Appalachian Trail Conference!"
:jump
Rain Man

Bonehead
09-03-2004, 11:11
How about Appalachian Trail Convention?

weary
09-03-2004, 13:49
I think it should be "Appalachian Trail Conference!"
:jump
Rain Man .

That's my choice also.

The problem is not the name, but the leadership. All good, dedicated guys, who have done yoeman work for years. But the group needs new blood, new information, new leadership, new ideas and new visions.

Weary

max patch
09-03-2004, 14:45
ATC = AppalachianTrail.Com

Not entirely farfetched with all of the cell phones, etc etc etc being toted on the trail.

JimSproul
09-03-2004, 16:42
That name is owned by a guy down Maine, a Frank Warren. No server comes up though. Interesting thought.

Tin Man
09-03-2004, 16:56
If we must change the name, my vote would be to reflect the true nature of the trail, maybe...

Appalachian Trail Community

I would be concerned that "Conservancy" might be taken to mean that the trail is about rules, when it is really about people. Protecting the trail is often taken to mean protecting it from people as opposed to for people. We should be careful about renaming it. Conference would be my first vote. Why change it? But if a name change would help the trail and all who participate, we should have a name that embodies the purpose of the trail and whom it belongs to - people who love the outdoors, nature, and a challenge. The trail is about the Community of through-hikers, long-distance hikers, section-hikers, day-hikers, maintenance clubs, ridge-runners, trail angels, etc.

The best approach may be to continue to call the organization - The Appalachian Trail Conference - and promote the Appalachian Trail Community as the heart, mind, and soul of the AT for which the Conference serves.

sloetoe
09-03-2004, 17:18
I mean, if the whole "We want the Appalachian Trail to be a homogenious green tube from one end to the other" thing is *really* what they're trying to do, and if they want to keep "ATC" as the initials...

Hmmm, maybe "All Trails Conform!"

Yeah, that'd do it.

sloetoe
ATC member #004790

TJ aka Teej
09-03-2004, 18:06
The best approach may be to continue to call the organization - The Appalachian Trail Conference - and promote the Appalachian Trail Community as the heart, mind, and soul of the AT for which the Conference serves.
well done, Bimmer, well done indeed.

TJ

sloetoe
09-03-2004, 18:27
That's my choice also.
The problem is not the name, but the leadership. All good, dedicated guys, who have done yoeman work for years. But the group needs new blood, new information, new leadership, new ideas and new visions.
Weary

### Not to disagree with you, Weary, but there's a lot of "new" in your response. I would opine that the ATC has very much lost its way, and that it's not so much "new"-ness it needs as a return to first principles.

I wrote a paper in graduate school regarding the benefit-cost relationship of acquiring new lands for trailway protection as that effort progressed through 50%, 80%, *99%*[!!!], etc. At that time, I quizzed ATC staff about what I observed as a distinct movement toward politicizing the trail, federalization of trail issues, and minimization of local club rule. The response, in three words, was "Oh! You Noticed!" This was fall/spring '83-'84 -- twenty years ago. I haven't seen the ATN article, but it seems to me to be the final stroke -- "we're no longer a Conference of individual clubs, comprising a great volunteer effort striving toward a commonly-held goal, but ____________".

Sad. But it seems the local clubs -- who do the real work -- just took another one on the chin.

'Toe

Tin Man
09-03-2004, 19:44
well done, Bimmer, well done indeed.

TJ

Thanks TJ. I get a slow burn going when people try to change things that are not broken and ignore those things that could benefit from change. But I am sure that is not what is happening here. :rolleyes:

Flash Hand
09-04-2004, 19:00
How about Appalachian Tarlin's Club :banana

hehehe

Flash Hand :jump

eyahiker
09-04-2004, 19:49
Appalachian Trail Consortium

Definition: Latin, fellowship, from consort-, consors
an agreement, combination, or group (as of companies) formed to undertake an enterprise beyond the resources of any one member

That would fit the bill.

Or
Appalachian Toenail Clippers
Appalachian Trail Crazies
Angry Trail Conservatives
Appalachian Trail Conglomeration
Asolo Trekking Club
A Tough Climb
Arrogant Trail Company
Agreeable Trail Concubine
Always Try Conforming
Always Taking Chances
Any Toenail Clippers?

my favorite:
Another Tortorous Climb

Brushy Sage
09-04-2004, 23:40
I don't believe "Conservancy" is any clearer than "Conference" in the general public's understanding of the organization. As the suggested restructuring will give the board of directors a more clearly defined decision-making role, I propose:

"Appalachian Trail Commission" (with conservancy as one of its roles).

The board of directors, then, will become elected Commissioners.

Has anyone at Harper's Ferry looked at this possibility?

Bolo
10-04-2004, 12:49
This is not specifically related to this thread, however I just received an ATC mailer offering membership in the ATC along with a "donation." There may be a thread related to this but I cannot find it. Could anyone please tell me if or why I should donate to the ATC and how much of my money is going directly to adminstration, lobbying, or most importantly, trail maintenance before I write a check?

minnesotasmith
10-04-2004, 13:16
I get a strong anticipation of anti-people tree-huggers that won't be happy until noone not part of gov't can so much as set foot in rural areas, let alone hunt, trap, hike, fish, and live there. They need to find a name with more positive, more inclusive overtones IMO.

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 13:23
This is not specifically related to this thread, however I just received an ATC mailer offering membership in the ATC along with a "donation." There may be a thread related to this but I cannot find it. Could anyone please tell me if or why I should donate to the ATC and how much of my money is going directly to adminstration, lobbying, or most importantly, trail maintenance before I write a check?

good question, maybe get rid of the guy whose job it is to think up these new questions... or maybe hand the guy a polaski and a fire rake and tell'em to git to work on the AT. And to not spend so much money on those constant monthly updates about sending even more money, Please NO MORE RETURN ADDRESS LABELS!

Fronteirman
10-04-2004, 13:42
The plainer the name the better. "Club" resonates nicely, though there is the "exclusivity" ring to it like "country club". How about Appalachian Trail Fellowship, that might discourage ungentlemanly conduct? Get out a Thesaurus and brainstorm it.

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 13:45
The plainer the name the better. "Club" resonates nicely, though there is the "exclusivity" ring to it like "country club". How about Appalachian Trail Fellowship, that might discourage ungentlemanly conduct? Get out a Thesaurus and brainstorm it.

Alchohol Tabacco and Firearms already has that acronym. ATF

Magic City
10-04-2004, 16:35
Living in a town that used to be a mill town until the tree huggers made it nearly impossible for anyone to earn a living around here, the word "conservancy" has connotations that are not at all good, at least as far as I'm concerned. Acquiring new trail land is fine, as long as it comes about honestly, but those are not the tactics used by the large tree hugging groups.

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2004, 16:56
There are a lot of reasons for the decline of the lumber industry in Maine.

I'm not sure blaming this on "tree-huggers" is either accurate or fair.

I'm not sure that "Conservancy" is such a bad idea; after all, the ATC's primary purpose from its inception was to conserve, preserve, advocate for, and protect the Trail.

But if you ask me, I think this whole re-naming thing is a mistake and a waste of time and effort. I don't think it's necessary, I don't think there's anything wrong with "Conference", I don't think it's worth the time, trouble, and expense. (For example, how many thousands of dollars are going to be spent on changing books, maps, publications, stationery, etc. And how much is the ATC paying the fancy consulting firm that's helping them pick out their new name? Doesn't the Conference have more important demands on its revenues?)

I'm of the opinion that if something wasn't broke, then there was no need to fix it. And at the very least, this question should've been put to the membership for their ideas and input.

I'm quite sure the vast majority would have voted to leave the title of the organization as it was, and would have agreed that the Conference's time and money would be better spent on other matters than taking months to expensively decide what they wanted to call themselves.

Bolo
10-04-2004, 17:56
Thanks, Jack!
If my membership dues are going to pay some consulting firm to come up with a new name for the ATC, then I'll choose not to join. From what I've seen on this thread, the ATC should be reading it. Many more creative suggestions here than they could possibly come up with.:clap

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 18:11
I don't believe "Conservancy" is any clearer than "Conference" in the general public's understanding of the organization. As the suggested restructuring will give the board of directors a more clearly defined decision-making role, I propose:

"Appalachian Trail Commission" (with conservancy as one of its roles).

The board of directors, then, will become elected Commissioners.

Has anyone at Harper's Ferry looked at this possibility?

or maybe they could be commissars.

Tha Wookie
10-04-2004, 18:47
Thanks, Jack!
If my membership dues are going to pay some consulting firm to come up with a new name for the ATC, then I'll choose not to join. From what I've seen on this thread, the ATC should be reading it. Many more creative suggestions here than they could possibly come up with.:clap
Hey Bolo, maybe you should tell the ATC about this thread, and while you're at it, ask them directly what the money will be used for. I'll tell you right now that it is well spent. Who do you think maintains the trail, the signage, the viewshed, the water quality, challenges hungry and powerful developers, puts out a great magazine, will send you a free hat, and a free sticker? These threads are note hte best way to find out the inner workings of the ATC. Why not go to the source?

I agree with Jack. Sounds like there are better things to do than change the name... but they might have a good reason. How about Appalachian Trail Keepers? I dunno.

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2004, 19:10
Good post, Wookie.

And Bolo, while I appreciate that you agree with me, I want to make it VERY clear that while I have doubts about this name-change policy, I have no intention of resigning or re-considering my membership in, or my support of the Appalachian Trail Conference. Nor do I hope that this tempest in a tepot inspires anyone else in this regards. That would be unfortunate in the extreme.

This name-change thing is ultimately a minor issue. It will pass. What is not minor is what the ATC accomplishes every year, with limited resources and manpower, all sorts of restrictions and opposition to much of its work, and a work force composed primarily of volunteers. In short, what the ATC manages
to accomplish each year is a miracle. Without our support, the ATC would die a quick death. And so would the Appalachian Trail.

It is my considered opinon that for those who care about the Appalachian Trail and its future, there is NO BETTER WAY to show your consideration and care than by contributing in any way, shape, or form to the ATC----and this
holds true whatever they ultimately decide to call themselves. If you're
already a member, don't forget to re-new. If you're not a member, I hope you sign up tomorrow. If you just finished the Trail, or if you're planning a
trip in the future, this is a great way to say "Thank You!!" and to give something back. And if circumstances permit you to give over and above, in addition to your annual dues, I hope you'll consider that, too.

By any other name, the ATC is what keeps the Trail alive and well. Despite this squabble over a name change, certain things aren't altered, so even if
you find yourself unhappy with the Conference's recent actions, this is small potatoes. What the Conference does every day for the Trail is not.

Peaks
10-05-2004, 08:10
The idea of changing the name of the organization is only one part of the changes happening at the ATC. The big change was the reduction in the number of directors or managers.

Why consider changing the name? Simple. It's a matter of recognition and exposure. While most everyone has heard of the Appalachian Trail, much of the general public is not aware of the Appalachian Trail Conference, and all the good work it does. There are thousands of people who hike parts of the Appalachian Trail every year, yet only a small percentage are ATC members.

Will a new name for the organization change this? Get involved with the Board of Managers and be part of the solution.