PDA

View Full Version : Holiday "weekender"

shaggy2004
12-23-2009, 20:53
A buddy and I would like to do a two nighter in the Smokies, but being largely unfamiliar with the park, other than the AT, I thought I'd ask some advice for a good 2 night hike.

We'll be taking one vehicle so it would really be best if it were a loop hike. We're thinking 12 - 15 miles/day so 35 - 45 mile loop. I live north of the park and on the TN side so I was thinking of going in somewhere near either Gatlinburg or I-40. It would be cool to do a hike that started low, went up to the high ridges (6,000 feet) and then returned.

I have a good map but just wanted to know what areas would be nice to try and hit over a 3 day hike.

Thanks a lot guys.

Mango
12-23-2009, 21:07
I'm not an expert on the Smokies by far, but one option might be to climb LeConte by one route, spend the night up there at the shelter, then come down a different route. Perhaps leaving Newfound Gap to the Boulevard Trail to LeConte, come down the Alum Cave Trail, then hitch back up to NFG. This might not have enough miles for you, however.

I haven't been to the GSMNP website, but I bet they have some hiking trails mapped out. Have a great time.

Ewker
12-23-2009, 21:27
I'm not an expert on the Smokies by far, but one option might be to climb LeConte by one route, spend the night up there at the shelter, then come down a different route. Perhaps leaving Newfound Gap to the Boulevard Trail to LeConte, come down the Alum Cave Trail, then hitch back up to NFG. This might not have enough miles for you, however.

I have done that route before and it is a nice hike. Only problem you will need a reservation fo the shelter. Assuming anyone is up there.
FOLLOWING IS THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN TEMPERATURE AND PRECIPITATION
INFORMATION, VALID FOR A 24 HOUR PERIOD ENDING AT 7:30 AM this morning
Mt LeConte had a high of 33, low of 12 with 30" of snow

shaggy2004
12-23-2009, 21:47
Hey Mango. Thanks for the reply. This is actually Happy Feet from '06. I was actually thinking something involving LeConte would be fun. We'll see how the weather looks I suppose.

Are you still thinking of doing the PCT this year? I'm pretty sure I'm going to give it a go if I can get the cash together.

Ashepabst
12-28-2009, 18:41
this is a great loop that'll keep ya up high, most of the time:
from Big Creek head up Baxter Creek Tr to Mt Sterling Ridge Tr to Laurel Gap Shelter; day two head Balsam Mtn Tr to AT to Cosby Knob; day three, complete loop back to Big Creek.

it's a hell of a climb out of Big Creek, but relatively flat ridge walking from Sterling to the AT.

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 16:57
this is a great loop that'll keep ya up high, most of the time:
from Big Creek head up Baxter Creek Tr to Mt Sterling Ridge Tr to Laurel Gap Shelter; day two head Balsam Mtn Tr to AT to Cosby Knob; day three, complete loop back to Big Creek.

it's a hell of a climb out of Big Creek, but relatively flat ridge walking from Sterling to the AT.

Did a similar loop last Feb. Up Big Creek to Walnut Bottoms, camp there night 1. Up to Mt Sterling Day2. Back donw Baxter Creek to Big Creek TH Day3. But this trip is shorter than your 12-15 mile days.

hikingshoes
12-31-2009, 17:08
checkout Cosby campground to Gabes Mnt trail to Maddron bald trail to Snake den ridge back to the Cosby Campground.