PDA

View Full Version : rickshaw/wheelbarrel

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 08:51
can the trail be hiked with a contraption that would convert from a wheelballel to a rickshaw devise?

Lone Wolf
12-25-2009, 08:56
of course not. next?

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 11:29
your a grouch.

Lone Wolf
12-25-2009, 11:30
on the contrary

MintakaCat
12-25-2009, 11:39
Well, you can try this:

http://dixonrollerpack.com/

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 11:42
imagine a backpack on your back. its hot and the trail just smoothed out and became a mountain road. you slip yur load to the ground, pull out two inflateable wheels from the waistbelt and with an aluminum stay , fasten and blow up the wheels where the waistbelt was. your haul strap opens to become a stiff leash and you walk away as if pulling luggage.

Lugnut
12-25-2009, 12:01
on the contrary

Yes, you are! :D

Wolfmaan
12-25-2009, 13:45
As any experienced backpacker will tell you, there are always new contraptions being invented. A good portion of these contraptions are simply trying to re-invent the wheel. Most hikers will stay with the tried and trued standard backpack.

Not everyone hikes the same, and has the same requirements for equipment and gear. I love my integrated hydration bladder but others despise them.

The best way to evaluate a piece of equipment like this is to find someone who has one and ask them. Another option is to contact the company and ask them for one to evaluate, or just purchase it outright with a written satisfaction guarantee. (Most high-end companies will give you a written satisfaction guarantee)

Remember that people who have never tried it may not be the best ones to give their opinions or thoughts on the product as it certainly won't appeal to everyone.

Miner
12-25-2009, 14:51
What are the rules on the AT for wheeled devices on the trail? Because I have to wonder if such a thing would be allowed in every section of the trail.

I know that on the PCT, any wheeled device, even a wheelbarrel, is against the law along most of its length which makes me wonder if that wouldn't be the case on the AT which doesn't even allow for stock animals.

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 14:54
rules are for little tenny tinny peole. no. sheeple.

spelling on the otherhand is for loosers.

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 14:55
actually spelling is for loosers but is on the same hand.

Ox97GaMe
12-25-2009, 15:13
I guess, based on your description of what you are thinking of concocting, the answer would be NO. There arent many places on the trail that just open to a nice flat road bed, logging road, or old wagon trail. The AT is up and down, it is usually about 12-18 inches wide, and it has lots of rocks and roots.

I have seen folks that have started the AT with various types of wheeled devices, but none of them have really worked well. But, to each their own. You might be one of the folks that the rest of your class talks about all the way to Maine. If that is one of your goals, go for it.

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 16:06
yo. racer x in car number nine. ima drive da biatch.

mweinstone
12-25-2009, 16:07
what? is your trailname some kinda operating syatem for mac?

Chaco Taco
12-25-2009, 17:45
http://www.ltlprints.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/fail2.jpg

sbhikes
12-25-2009, 17:46
It would be a lot easier to just lighten your load than to try to find a wheeled contraption to carry more stuff. You really don't need a lot of stuff to go hiking.

Foyt20
12-25-2009, 23:01
Lighten the load is a better option I believe. But to each his own.

Rasty
08-31-2013, 14:02
on the contrary

See evidence that you are!

Hill Ape
08-31-2013, 15:39
ok i'll play along. something more along the lines of a pulk sled is closer to workable. but only for some sections. you're not going to push anything wheeled in front of you. weekenders are always trying to push their kid up blood in an "all terrain" stroller.

as sarcastic as the answers have been, the best answer is simply NO. you should believe and accept that, especially if you've never set foot on the trail.

just for full disclosure though, one of the ridge runners in georgia, an older guy that covers north of blood to somewhere south of unicoi has an interesting trash cart, it folds up into a backpack, but unfolds into what i would best describe as a wheelbarrow. even considering his advanced age, he passed me camping in the morning trucking with that rack on his back, and damn near seemed to be running when he was pushing it back. but that section of trail was originally built as a road bed, only later became appalachian trail when the blue ridge parkway was not extended into georgia.

seriously, if anyone knows the maintainer for that section, he's a freaking monster, give him some props

DLP
08-31-2013, 15:48
Amplexus is hiking the American Discovery Trail (CA to DE) with a jogging stroller. I think that he picked it up in Utah and it looks like it is falling apart in Colorado. He is dragging it thru some pretty rugged terrain.

See videos "Utah Boarder to Moab" and "Moab to Denver". http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJoshSeehorn/videos

Looks harder to me than a backpack.

Old Hillwalker
08-31-2013, 16:32
I would rather use that antigravity "skate board" from "Back to the Future part ?"

moytoy
08-31-2013, 17:44

There is nothing quite like an old Matty thread.

Rasty
08-31-2013, 19:12

There is nothing quite like an old Matty thread.

Some of the best Whiteblaze humor threads can only be found with Google.

hikerboy57
08-31-2013, 19:21
what keywords did you use.lone wolf contrary?

Rasty
08-31-2013, 19:25
what keywords did you use.lone wolf contrary?

Mweinstone of course

Patrickjd9
08-31-2013, 23:10
Having used a measuring wheel (about 20" diameter bicycle) on a rocky five mile stretch of the AT, I can vouch for the fact that it would not be a very practical way to carry 25 or 30 pounds of gear.

The wheel and hardware that it would take to be practical would weigh as much, or more, than the gear carried. A mountain bike wheel would be about the lightest worth considering. Not sure the overall physical effort would be less than carrying a good pack.

http://www.rescuetech1.com/mulelitterwheelwithhandles-new.aspx

shelterbuilder
09-01-2013, 21:15
Short answer: no. (Matty, I think that you need to go down to Geno's and get yourself a big cheesesteak, and try to stop these hunger-induced hallucinations!)