PDA

View Full Version : Garmin etrex Vista HCX Question

jorhawle
12-25-2009, 21:55
Just got it for Christmas. I'm getting ready for a spring hike on all kinds of different trails in the smokies. Is it worth the money to buy the National Parks map that shows campsites, trails, other points of interest in the park? If you have this particular map (which is $100 some, so this is why I want to make sure) how detailed does it get? Does it show every trail in the park?

Thanks for any/all info!!!

Mountain Dog
12-25-2009, 22:34
The older models of Garmin did not accept maps other than the ones they made. Make sure your Garmin unit will process other maps or it will not matter about the quality of other maps.

jorhawle
12-25-2009, 22:37
This one will accept new maps, but not custom maps. I can either download it or buy it on an SD card.

Wolfmaan
12-25-2009, 22:42
If you have the micro SD card in your GPS you can sometimes find the maps for free on places like piratesbay or something. Of course - the money often goes to support the parks so choose wisely if you choose to get free copies of the maps.

russb
12-26-2009, 06:34
This one will accept new maps, but not custom maps. I can either download it or buy it on an SD card.

I do not understand this comment. Of course you can store/access custom maps. This is the one I dloaded for NY: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/111/ I have the same gps unit as you. Many other maps are available at the same site http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ . Note: these are NOT pirated maps, but user created ones.

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2009, 13:01
I understand what you are asking and if you are a big fan of the parks do a little research on your own and don't be afraid to pick up the phone and register your garmin and talk to technical support before purchasing the 24k maps, much of Garmin's Products holds a learning curve that can frustrate folks like me. Last night I loaded three states of the AT into a Oregon 400t and the results were lack luster.