PDA

View Full Version : Keeping pack in tent, is it safe?

Phoenix7
09-03-2004, 17:13
I'm wondering how safe it is to sleep with your' pack inside the tent when in bear territory.

Thanks,

Phoenix

food
09-03-2004, 17:32
Keeping your pack in the tent is OK as long as it does not also have your food.

Even when there is no bear danger there generally is a rodent problem.

Tractor
09-03-2004, 18:07
...or odor(s) which might be of interest to a bear as a potential food item (toothpaste for instance). U should get several posts on this one.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2004, 19:09
I always sleep with my food in the tent. I leave the pack outside.

Streamweaver
09-03-2004, 19:29
Always open all the pockets on your pack at night so rodents can get inside without chewing holes in the fabric. Streamweaver

Tin Man
09-03-2004, 20:13
Even when there is no bear danger there generally is a rodent problem.

Rodents helped spoiled a trip for me once. It was a rainy day and night. The more it poured, the more booze we poured and I passed out before hanging my food bag. In the morning the rodents had opened about half my food. With the weather and loss of food, we hiked out a day early. I think you need to do that only once, get drunk BEFORE hanging the food bag, that is.

SalParadise
09-03-2004, 21:08
no, I never opened my pack pockets at night and never had a mouse problem. They'll only want to knaw inside if they smell something worth eating. If you open the pockets they'll chew up everything inside. One hiker I know did that and they chewed up everything and laid their babies inside overnight.
Most people I know slept with their packs inside and I don't recall any problems, but definitely anything with even a faint odor like toothpaste (sans body odor) you should consider a food and keep it in your food bag.

Peaks
09-06-2004, 18:47
I'm wondering how safe it is to sleep with your' pack inside the tent when in bear territory.

Thanks,

Phoenix

At the very least, hang your food (and trash) away from your tent.

Other than that, it generally depends on how much of a bear problem there is in the area at that time. Along the AT, probably no problem bringing your pack inside your tent at night, provided that it doesn't have food smells. But, in places like the popular camping sites in the Adirondacks, I would not advise it.

But, I haven't put it to the test. My tent is a one person, too small for my pack and myself at the same time. I'm lucky I can get my boots under the vestibule.

rumbler
09-06-2004, 19:26
I stopped hanging a bear bag after the Smokies, with the exception of the Shenandoahs and New Jersey/New York. After Virginia I always kept my pack inside my tent, including food (except in NY/NJ).

Dudeboard
09-06-2004, 20:55
definitely anything with even a faint odor like toothpaste (sans body odor) you should consider a food and keep it in your food bag.
Has anyone ever had a mouse or bear go after their toothpaste?

Jersey Bob
09-06-2004, 21:01
at least 10 characters

Phoenix7
09-07-2004, 01:35
Great information. Thank you everyone.

Phoenix

Steve W
09-07-2004, 11:22
I always keep the food outside and the pack inside. I've never had a problem, even in the heavy bear areas like NJ.