PDA

View Full Version : pack list

gravy4601
12-25-2009, 23:37
Here is a list of the items i plan to cary on the trail this year and some other gear i have that i was going to leave home what do you think ?
Should I change any thing ?

Ospry Atmos 65L 3lb 9oz
Msr Whisperlight 11.5oz
Msr Titain Tea Cup 4oz
Msr Titan Mug 1.9oz
Msr Sweetwater 14oz
Sea to Summit Alpha Spoon 4oz
Msr Hubba Tent 3lb 6oz
Thermarest pro light 3 2lb 0oz
Mountain Hardwear +15 bag 2lb 14oz

optional gear
steri pen
ENO hammock
ENO Dry Fly
Msr Pockett rockett
pop can stove

white_russian
12-25-2009, 23:44
whisperlite is overkill for the AT, bring the pocket rocket
You don't need both a tea cup and mug
that thermarest is pretty dad gum heavy

Caboose
12-26-2009, 00:15
Here is a list of the items i plan to cary on the trail this year and some other gear i have that i was going to leave home what do you think ?

Ospry Atmos 65L 3lb 9oz
Msr Whisperlight 11.5oz
Msr Titain Tea Cup 4oz
Msr Titan Mug 1.9oz
Msr Sweetwater 14oz
Msr Hubba Tent 3lb 6oz

optional gear
steri pen
ENO hammock
ENO Dry Fly
Msr Pockett rockett
pop can stove

How long have you had your Steri-pen? I just got one as a gift and am not sure I wanna keep it or not, maybe a store credit would be better. I'm not sure about carrying one more expensive gadget that might break.

BrianLe
12-26-2009, 03:32
It really depends on the type(s) of trip(s) you anticipate, desired daily mileage, your overall hiking "style", time(s) of year you anticipate hiking, etc. I.e., doesn't seem like enough information to comment. For example, if you were a thru-hiker the whisperlight does indeed seem like a lot of stove (weight) to carry, but if you're winter camping and want to melt snow or something, maybe it's a good choice ...

Doooglas
12-26-2009, 06:47
OHHH NOOOOOOOOOO !
Ditch that mug ! You can drink after you eat your spicy chile !
1.9 oz's. What were you thinking? !!!

% Screams insults at computer screen rather than typing them %

Hooch
12-26-2009, 06:56

Ospry Atmos 65L 3lb 9oz
Msr Whisperlight 11.5oz
Msr Titain Tea Cup 4oz
Msr Titan Mug 1.9oz
Msr Sweetwater 14oz
Msr Hubba Tent 3lb 6oz

optional gear
steri pen
ENO hammock
ENO Dry Fly
Msr Pockett rockett
pop can stove

I have to agree with some of the others, leave the mug at home and drink out of your Titan Kettle. The Whisperlite is probably overkill, bring just the PocketRocket and make sure you have a good wind screen for it. Pick either the Sweetwater or the SteriPen.

As far as the hammock goes, I love them personally and it's all I ever sleep in. If you're going to use it, leave the tent at home. No need for 2 shelters worth of carried weight, IMO. Also, make sure you have adequate underside insulation. If you don't, you're going to be cold and miserable. And ditch the DryFly, it's pretty much universally regarded as a useless piece of crap in the hammocking community. There are a lot better tarps out there, go over to Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net) to find out more.

gravy4601
12-26-2009, 12:42
It really depends on the type(s) of trip(s) you anticipate, desired daily mileage, your overall hiking "style", time(s) of year you anticipate hiking, etc. I.e., doesn't seem like enough information to comment. For example, if you were a thru-hiker the whisperlight does indeed seem like a lot of stove (weight) to carry, but if you're winter camping and want to melt snow or something, maybe it's a good choice ...
planing on a thru hike leaving in march how reliable is it to find the fuel cans on the trail and how long will one say 7 3/4 oz can last boiling 2cups of water twice a day

gravy4601
12-26-2009, 12:45
How long have you had your Steri-pen? I just got one as a gift and am not sure I wanna keep it or not, maybe a store credit would be better. I'm not sure about carrying one more expensive gadget that might break.

mine was a gift also so i dont even no how long the battries will last

skinewmexico
12-26-2009, 13:18
Heavy pack, heavy stove, heavy pad, heavy tent......

gravy4601
12-27-2009, 12:23
ive seen heaver and i'm not real big on the ultra light hiking i like to take my time and enjoy the hike

BrianLe
12-27-2009, 14:46
"ive seen heaver and i'm not real big on the ultra light hiking i like to take my time and enjoy the hike"

That's just the sort of thing I was talking about as "hiking style". In general I don't think it's helpful to list a subset of packing list items and ask for feedback without laying enough of this groundwork --- responses then come in that are based on all sorts of potentially wrong assumptions.

The thing about the "take my time and enjoy the hike" approach is that there are some schedule limits for a thru-hiker, assuming you plan to hike the whole trail this coming year (?). I knew a couple of thru-hikers that carried pretty heavy loads. One was just strong as a bull and on a tight budget and he just dealt with it. Another guy liked more comforts than most, but he definitely paid for it in terms of enjoying the trail en route. Most successful hikers did their best to keep pack weight low.

Another factor is how much money you have and how willing you are to spend it to modify equipment along the way. I.e., if after you're on the trail you decide you want a lighter set of kit, is stopping at an outfitter and buying new stuff a reasonable option for you? Switching to the pop can stove you list in optional gear is certainly a good first step, IMO. You could consider aqua mira instead of your filter, and that's another inexpensive swap to try out ---> I suggest testing this sort of thing in a shakedown hike before you leave.

Of course all of this sort of feedback is just grist for your mental mill --- I at first resisted a couple of suggestions that I ultimately decided to implement. I hope it all works out well for you!

Tinker
12-27-2009, 14:51
More stable than a PocketRocket and cooks more evenly, too, as well as having stronger arms.
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/Stovedetail.cfm/VRG1006
My PR belongs to a short-term hiker now, and I use the Jet-Ti stove when I'm not hiking alone (rare).

gravy4601
12-27-2009, 15:06
That's just the sort of thing I was talking about as "hiking style". In general I don't think it's helpful to list a subset of packing list items and ask for feedback without laying enough of this groundwork --- responses then come in that are based on all sorts of potentially wrong assumptions.

The thing about the "take my time and enjoy the hike" approach is that there are some schedule limits for a thru-hiker, assuming you plan to hike the whole trail this coming year (?). I knew a couple of thru-hikers that carried pretty heavy loads. One was just strong as a bull and on a tight budget and he just dealt with it. Another guy liked more comforts than most, but he definitely paid for it in terms of enjoying the trail en route. Most successful hikers did their best to keep pack weight low.

Another factor is how much money you have and how willing you are to spend it to modify equipment along the way. I.e., if after you're on the trail you decide you want a lighter set of kit, is stopping at an outfitter and buying new stuff a reasonable option for you? Switching to the pop can stove you list in optional gear is certainly a good first step, IMO. You could consider aqua mira instead of your filter, and that's another inexpensive swap to try out ---> I suggest testing this sort of thing in a shakedown hike before you leave.

Of course all of this sort of feedback is just grist for your mental mill --- I at first resisted a couple of suggestions that I ultimately decided to implement. I hope it all works out well for you!

good point i am planing a shake down hike and was just looking to get some diffrent ideas and i should haved mentioned the mid weight hiking style in the first place thanks for the advice everyone

gravy4601
12-27-2009, 15:08
one other question about the fuel cans for the pockett rocket style stove was how easy is it to find that style of can on the trail

Johnny Thunder
12-27-2009, 15:17
I agree with Brian. There are certainly things you can do to lower your base weight by over a pound without spending major money. Aqua mira and a soda can'll run you about $15. And that's a 25.5 ounce savings (by your numbers...I think you're going a little light on the Whisperlite).

"ultra-light" hiking as you described is rarely attained (I know, even with all the folks on the site who talk about it). "Light" hiking can be comfortable and enjoyable on the trail and in camp with little or no major difference than the style you seem to be set on. I mean, if you're carrying a sub-3 pound tent and bag then you definitely don't need a 65 liter pack. Right there you're probably 16 to 24 ounces heavy on an item where a lighter version wouldn't change your end comfort one bit.

You can change or not...that's up to you. But, if you post an incomplete gear list including heavier-than-absolutely-necessary items you're going to hear about it. That's just how it works around here.