PDA

View Full Version : 200 dollars to blow at REI....need some help deciding.

Jayboflavin04
12-26-2009, 11:22
Smartwool bottoms and a whisperlite or pocket rocket. I am leaning towards the whisper. I normally use a alky stove but want something for cold weather.

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2009, 11:30
Ok that's easy remove the Wisperlite off the list unless you are going to backpack Everest.

FYI this would be a better time to look at your big four's weight and replace something old & heavy - Add some bucks or check out clearence.

mudhead
12-26-2009, 11:36
Save it. Might need that later. After the rush to spend passes.:)

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2009, 11:38
Yea wait till your membership deduction comes in may/april

Pacific Tortuga
12-26-2009, 11:47
MAIL TO :
Resident
P.O. Box 133
Silvervrado, CA. 92676

glad to invest it for ya. :)

Jim Adams
12-26-2009, 14:44
I use a pocket rocket all winter long...best stove I've ever used.

geek

Tinker
12-26-2009, 14:50
Don't let the cannister get cold or you'll have an expensive Bic lighter on your hands (until you warm it up again). Sleep with it and carry it in an inner pocket in your jacket.
Personally, I'd be looking at a Simmerlite or Whisperlite (I have the latter) for a true winter stove. Those you can usually buy cheaply enough used from folks whose winter hiking years are past (no, not me yet :)).

juma
12-26-2009, 17:33
Smartwool bottoms and a whisperlite or pocket rocket. I am leaning towards the whisper. I normally use a alky stove but want something for cold weather.

If you are comfortable using a alcohol stove now, I'd spend 15 bux on one of zelph's budlight superstoves trimmed for using coleman fuel instead of alcohol. that would fix you up for the winter hike.

also, a set of katoola microspikes, rocky water proof socks, gaiters and rainmitts of your choice, and you'd be ready for the winter hike.

Jayboflavin04
12-27-2009, 10:18
Thanks for the input folks. Good advice as always. Looking to hear some more.

Spokes
12-27-2009, 10:31
Buy the whisperlite if you're going car camping but get an Etowah alcohol stove if you plan to hike......... yeah I know, they don't sell 'em at REI. What does that tell you?

Then buy some Aqua Mira and a pair of Keen Targhee II mid boots.

white_russian
12-27-2009, 12:18
Buy the whisperlite if you're going car camping but get an Etowah alcohol stove if you plan to hike......... yeah I know, they don't sell 'em at REI. What does that tell you?
It tells me that REI doesn't want the liability of selling them with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. The Etowah stove will rust up on you after a year and if REI sold them they would have every one of them returned.

Wags
12-27-2009, 12:28
buy this
http://www.rei.com/product/771737

unless you already have a down sweater. don't buy the smartwool bottoms, a waste of money imo

SurferNerd
12-28-2009, 14:59
Wait until the Scratch and Dent sale 01/01/2010. Don't know if its at all the locations, but here in Nashville, best way to get returned/slightly used/scratched gear for about 80% off usual price.

lazy river road
12-28-2009, 16:45
I plan on using the wisperlight international for my E2E this summer. I used it this past summer in yellowstone and the tetons and it worked perfectly. The big plus for me over the canister stove is purley mental. I like to know exactly how much fuel I have. This is also partly due to lack of experience with a canister stove and long distancce hikeing in general so take that into considerations along with my advice. Also white fuel is much cheaper then buying canisters and less impact on the enviroment,

skinewmexico
12-28-2009, 17:37
Also white fuel is much cheaper then buying canisters and less impact on the enviroment,

I don't think either of those statements is true.

skinewmexico
12-28-2009, 17:48
I don't think either of those statements is true.

Oops, white gas is cheaper, even with the stove costing a lot more up front. http://tinyurl.com/lmd76 I stand corrected.

Having worked around oil wells, I refuse to believe that white gas is better for the environment though.

lazy river road
12-29-2009, 04:10
skinewmexico, you raise a great point, I dident even take air pollution into consideration, I was thinking landfill pollution. But I do wonder overall, white gas vs propane, which one would have less overall impact on the enviroment. Propane you have all those canisters, white fuel you have drilling and more airpollution.

And sorry I should of stated that as an opinion instead of fact. And posed it as a question.

But white gas is overall cheaper then using canisters, but they are more expensive initially.

World-Wide
12-29-2009, 04:35

MAIL TO :
Resident
P.O. Box 133
Silvervrado, CA. 92676

glad to invest it for ya. :)

Jayboflavin04: Heard that Silvervrado, California address above isn't good anymore. May want to send it to:

RESIDENT
5394 Sartis Road
Macon, Ga 30235 :D W-W

Andrea356
12-29-2009, 10:50
If you want smartwool bottoms (which, as someone who gets cold pretty quickly and likes to wear clothing for a week+ w/o hiker stank, I heartily endorse the microweight or lightweight versions) you can probably find them 1/2 price on ebay. That's where I've picked all my wool stuff up over the years.
However, since you have the gift card, you may prefer to go that route. I'd get a smartwool longsleeve crew t-shirt first, though, if you don't already have one! While it seems couterintuitive, the short-sleeve tees are also really versatile, making superb skin-layer vests in the winter and are great stand-alone in the summer...of course, there are other brands. Backcountry is having a good sale on their in-house merino brand right now, actually.

Andrea356
12-29-2009, 10:51
Wait until the Scratch and Dent sale 01/01/2010. Don't know if its at all the locations, but here in Nashville, best way to get returned/slightly used/scratched gear for about 80% off usual price.

I love this sale with all my cheap little heart. Good advice.

Jayboflavin04
12-29-2009, 11:36
I got decent warm weather gear. I bought a 1/4 zip long sleeve smartwool shirt. Just need the matching set :P....I think the tax return fairy is going to bring me a ULA pack and WM antelope...not sure tho.
ULA pack for summer and WM antelope for winter. Paired up with some snuggly smart wool.....

philly
12-30-2009, 20:50
I use a pocket rocket all winter long...best stove I've ever used.

geek

I think that the Pocket Rocket is the best stove for the money.