PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cafe - Millinocket, Maine: Looking for Suggestions

Magic City
09-03-2004, 17:36
My wife and I just started an Internet cafe in Millinocket, Maine a couple of weeks ago. Millinocket's at the north end of the AT and we'd like to be hiker friendly, not only because it's good business but because we both like talking to those who've finished their thru-hike.

What sorts of things could we offer that would be of use to someone ending their hike, or taking a short break before making the last leg?

Oh, we also run an online newspaper, and have done a couple of profiles of ending thru-hikers already.

TJ aka Teej
09-03-2004, 17:58
What sorts of things could we offer that would be of use to someone ending their hike, or taking a short break before making the last leg?Hi Magic City! I saw the pics of your setup in the gallery, looks great! I'd suggest having info on transportation to Medway and into the Park, copies of the AT Thruhiker pamphets from Baxter State Park HQ and info on reservations etc., maybe a bulletin/ride share board. Please let me know your hours, and rates, and I'll list you in the ATC's 2005 ALDHA Thru-hiker's Companion. Today's AT hikers are always interested in where they can get internet/email access and good coffee. There's another, privately printed, AT guidebook that you might want to try to get listed in at www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com/).

good luck to you!
TJ
ALDHA Companion volunteer in Maine
view the 2004 Companion for free at www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org/)

sloetoe
09-03-2004, 18:07
My wife and I just started an Internet cafe in Millinocket, Maine a couple of weeks ago. Millinocket's at the north end of the AT and we'd like to be hiker friendly, not only because it's good business but because we both like talking to those who've finished their thru-hike.

What sorts of things could we offer that would be of use to someone ending their hike, or taking a short break before making the last leg?

Oh, we also run an online newspaper, and have done a couple of profiles of ending thru-hikers already.

Well, nuts, I guess you're sort-of doing that.... On to specifics: people want to get in, make contact, clean up, and go[!]. Oh, and eat, too, but hey....

1) a couple of wall maps, including continental US, New England, and Maine as three with which to start. On the Maine map, I would put thumbtacks for Millenocket, Monson, Caratunk, Stratton, Rangeley, and Andover, as well as some yarn indicating the best HITCHHIKING points from one to another. (There should probably also be a goodly "IAT" consideration, but there's more knowledgeable people than me on that.) Oh, and writing the zip codes would be cool, too.

2) A non-pay, local-access phone, so that those looking for phone access can get what they need without the vultures of long-distance announcing "This call requires 15 'units' from your calling card." THAT will place you high on the "Recommended Resource" list right there!

3) Accept bottles/cans for return/recycle. Keep the $ yourselves or donate it to the local burn ward, but don't let those ka-nickles go to waste.

4) Have a big couch for people waiting.

5) Have no "Packs Outside" policy. Sheesh. Reserve an area and call it the Pack Corral, but make it inside.

6) Plan for big rainy days.

7) Watch your toilet paper.

8) Keep your bathrooms clean,clean,clean. Maybe make them big enough that people can change clothes there without exposing themselves. Maybe make them big enough that you can install a shower, charge a few extra bucks, and make some money while hikers go home CLEAN.

9) Know where the laundry mat is, if you don't care to pick up that one, too. (But a used washer/dryer would pay for itself in one season, I bet!)

Happy Trails!
'toe
(through your fair city just
[sniff sniff]
3 weeks ago tomorrow...)

Oh! Oh! and a hot tub! Yeahhhhh!

Magic City
09-03-2004, 18:11
Thanks for the suggestions; I've made note of them.

Being new, I don't really want to carve our hours in stone just yet, as we'll adapt to whatever demands we find. Once we've been in operation for a couple of months, I'll have a better idea as to what makes sense for us.

Currently, we're open Monday-Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. but we stay open later when we have customers. Someone asked us about a mail drop last week, and we have no problem with being a mail drop; we're across the street from the post office but we're often open when they are not, and we have storage space available. For that matter, we live only a block from here and wouldn't mind opening up for someone to get their stuff on Sunday or any reasonable time, as long as we're home, which is usually.

Magic City
09-03-2004, 18:30
We don't have them yet, but I've already thought of the wall maps. I have a huge laminated map of the Maine north woods coming, and the others won't be any problem.

No couches yet but we have a recliner and a few other comfortable stuffed chairs waiting to be reupholstered.

I'll talk to my wife about the phone, the only anticipated objections being the problem of having all the local kids in here on the phone all day and all night.

We already take cans and bottles for recycling.

We have one regular sized bathroom and another, much larger, handicapped access bathroom that would work for changing and stuff. I don't think we'll be able to do the showers, but a washer-dryer might be a possibility, although probably not until next season.

The bathrooms are always clean. Right now they have those annoying roll holders that don't let you tear more than a few sheets at a time but they're already on our hit list.

As for a pack area, we may have just the place. Right now, the building has a huge, covered, winding handicapped entrance, one that we plan to close off so that we can lock the area at night, due to it being a hangout for local kids. Once we do that, there will be good-sized area that can be used for that.

We already have people leaving their packs here while they go about town, and it hasn't been a problem to anyone.

Any need for a hiker's box at the north end of the AT?

Kerosene
09-04-2004, 01:05
An ATM or at least directions to the closest one.
An aptly named drink or item to celebrate completion, start and/or return to civilization!
Hefty "box lunch" ready to take on the road for the trip home.
A bulletin board to post pictures of finishing thru-hikers.
Spray deodorant!