PDA

View Full Version : marmot down vest

jbrecon2
12-26-2009, 17:14
I just picked up a marmot zuess 800 down vest for 75 bucks at REI. my intention is the use it for a thru hike starting in april and use a light fleece and base layer for layering. was wondering if anyone has this, and how they like it? i read an awful lot about montbell stuff, but never anything about this vest. it seems really nice, really light and really packable. i didnt hesitate to make the purchase knowing i can take it back anytime if i change my mind.

garlic08
12-26-2009, 20:22
I have an older Marmot vest, and it worked fine on the first month of my AT thru. I started in April, too. I had no problems with it, but I've had the zippers fail on two other Marmot garments and Marmot has always repaired them at no charge.

I didn't see a weight listed on Marmot's site. My older vest weighs 12 oz. The Zeuss is probably lighter than that.

mweinstone
12-29-2009, 10:43
i personaly know of no cooler thing than a vest of anykind to bring hiking because its light and versitile. and marmot is to be trusted.if anything, its gonna be too warm.but only cause your gonna put it under fleece. its ment to go on top or under other down.i use a patagonia fleece vest.

Rasputen
12-29-2009, 10:55
I tried one on at REI when purchising my Patagonia Down Sweater. It is certainly well made, light, great loft, and fit really well(not too boxy). I wanted to make it work with my Down sweater but I would have lost too much loft from one or the other. I still have some REI points to spend so I my buy it anyway and use it solo layered w/out the sweater.... Nice product... I think it will work well for you..

chknfngrs
12-29-2009, 12:02
I have an older one, probably 6+ years old that was given to me by a long distance hiker who probably used it in the field way more than I did. I've found it has maintained more of it's old loft than my newer down stuff. I think it's already been said, but Marmot is good stuff.

brooklynkayak
12-29-2009, 16:06
If I was going to carry any down clothing, it would be a vest and then probably used mostly for around camp, breaks and/or extending my warmth if my sleeping bag wasn't warm enough.

The sleeves on a down jacket can get in the way and tend to get soaked in the rain.
Best to put most of your insulation on your head and torso.