PDA

View Full Version : Dog Pack Fit?

drifters quest
12-26-2009, 20:01
I bought the Approach pack at REI today but wasn't sure when I put it on whether or not it fit my dog right. She is a 40lb border collie, I got a size medium and although the straps will tighten to fit her it seems a bit long and large but i'm not sure how they are supposed to fit. Any tips for fitting? If it helps I can get a picture of her in it. I was thinking about going back in a few days and taking her with me to try on the smaller pack, although dogs aren't allowed inside, they said they would fit her outside the store.

CrumbSnatcher
12-26-2009, 21:05
couldn't hurt to try the smaller pack. might make you pack less stuff in her saddle bags! taking her to the store will help, be nice if they carried more than 1 brand of pack too. put that pitcure on here so we can see it. check all the time for pack & chaff rub, don't want the pack hitting her in the back of the head either! HYDH. GOOD LUCK

Passion Hiker 73
12-26-2009, 21:20
I have a 40lb Brittney and he wears a small. You should be able to put a finger between the strap and ribs. I have heared Ruff wear products run big. I bought a Palisades pack instead of the Aproach, but the fit should be the same. Very nice pack, but you can buy it cheaper on-line then REI. Hope this helps. PH73

CrumbSnatcher
12-26-2009, 21:42
You should be able to put a finger between the strap and ribs.good advice.

drifters quest
12-26-2009, 23:42
They do carry a few different brands- REI, mountainsmith, ruffwear, I think maybe one more. I got the approach because (asides from the palisades) they seem to have the best reviews in regards to fit, chafing, comfort, convenience, durability, etc. I'm definetely thinking i'm gonna go back for the small though. I'll take her to the store next time and have them fit her. I was gonna order it online, but was worried about the sizing and wanted to make sure I had a good fit. I think Cabelas has them too for cheaper so I might go there tomorrow and see

Blue Wolf
12-27-2009, 00:55
Just curious are you planning on hiking the AT with your dog?

Feral Bill
12-27-2009, 00:58
I bought the Approach pack at REI today but wasn't sure when I put it on whether or not it fit my dog right. She is a 40lb border collie, I got a size medium and although the straps will tighten to fit her it seems a bit long and large but i'm not sure how they are supposed to fit. Any tips for fitting? If it helps I can get a picture of her in it. I was thinking about going back in a few days and taking her with me to try on the smaller pack, although dogs aren't allowed inside, they said they would fit her outside the store.

Dogs are welcome at Mountain Gear, if you can not get a good fit at REI. They carry Ruffwear.

drifters quest
12-27-2009, 01:07
Really? I have an idea where Mountain Goat Outfitters is, not sure about Mountain Gear, i'll have to look it up, thanks!

Doooglas
12-27-2009, 16:51
Your veterinarian is your friend.
Get an opinion on the system you are looking at.
It varies from bred to breed, male to female etc.
Just like a pack for a 2 legged critter.
Fit is everything...............and packing.

drifters quest
12-27-2009, 20:46
Thanks Dooglas! When I get back to Wyoming I have a TON of questions to ask my vet.

I went to Cabellas today andn they let me bring the dog in to try the pack, the small looked WAY better on her and it was $20 cheaper than REI. I'm gonna take her for a walk with it on empty tomorrow. She doesn't seem to mind it at all just walking around

sasquatch2014
12-27-2009, 22:30
Thanks Dooglas! When I get back to Wyoming I have a TON of questions to ask my vet.

I went to Cabellas today andn they let me bring the dog in to try the pack, the small looked WAY better on her and it was $20 cheaper than REI. I'm gonna take her for a walk with it on empty tomorrow. She doesn't seem to mind it at all just walking around

Where in Wyo are you?

Feral Bill
12-28-2009, 01:01
Really? I have an idea where Mountain Goat Outfitters is, not sure about Mountain Gear, i'll have to look it up, thanks!

MG is on Ruby, maybe 1/2 mile north from downtown. I block past Indiana.

drifters quest
12-28-2009, 04:11
A small town called Powell.. about 25 minutes East of Cody

sasquatch2014
12-28-2009, 10:06
Know it all too well. Had to live in that Super 8 or at least that was what it was when I was there on the main drag for about a month one year for work. also had to do the same thing down in Worland but for longer time frame.

I lived over on the other side of the Big Horns in Sheridan.

Good luck with the pack fitting. I want to get a new pack for my dog. Right now I have the Kelty for him and i think it is a bit big for him but he is still filling out some. I don't like the way that the Kelty is designed. I want to get a Ruff Wear the harness seems more solid. The times I have had to lift him up by it I am always afraid that he will slide out of it. Of course the times that I am lifting him are the times where if he slides out bad things will happen.

kanga
12-28-2009, 10:37
i have the approach and the palisades. they run way bigger than they say they are. i bought the medium online going by the specs they listed and i couldn't adjust the straps to fit on either of my 60 lb dogs (they're lean). ended up getting the small. fits perfectly. the majority of the weight should be centered right behind the shoulders. straps should be fitted, but not tight (you should be able to get your fingers under it easily) and make sure the front triangle on the chest has a cushioning pad protecting the dog. it can rub the daylights out of them if it doesn't.

Wolfmaan
12-28-2009, 11:29
I, too have the Ruffwear Palisades. My Luka covered over 1,000km with the pack in 2009. They are rugged but tend to sit lopsided, no matter how much you try and balance them out.

I did end up taking all the straps apart and re-stitching them so it would fit my Luka better as they did not adjust to make the harness small enough.

The ruff-wear Palisades has a few great features which make it worth the purchase. The company is also very good to deal with and has been supportive.

cowboy nichols
12-28-2009, 11:40
I find the fake sheep skin covers made for car seat belts very handy for my dogs pack straps . sometimes I only use them when doing a lot of climbing but I always carry 2 with me .

drifters quest
12-28-2009, 19:42
I actually got the Approach. I really liked the extras provided by the palisades (removable packs) but it felt a lot heavier so I decided against it. I adjusted the pack to her today and it was hard to get it not lopsided. Although the underneath straps adjusted nicely its hard to get the chest straps adjusted right.

Sasquatch- the Super 8 burned down a year (or two) ago. They rebuilt it and it is much nicer than it used to be!

drifters quest
12-30-2009, 21:51
Took the dog on a short (maybe 2 miles?) hike today, we hit some good up and downs; looks like i'll have to get an x-small for her. I couldn't adjust the front straps enough to keep the pack from sliding back. She was ok on the flat, but up and down the hills she kept shaking. I'll try the smaller size, hopefully we can get a good fit!

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2009, 22:03
dog weighs 40 pds & your talking about a xs pack? **** i would say screw the pack and carry the small amount of supplies that killerdog would need. what 3-5 pds?

kanga
12-31-2009, 10:10
dog weighs 40 pds & your talking about a xs pack? **** i would say screw the pack and carry the small amount of supplies that killerdog would need. what 3-5 pds?
my old blue heeler would lay on her pack until i put it on her. it was like some dogs with their collars, it identifies them as part of your pack. besides, at 40 lbs, that dog shouldn't carry more than 5-6 lbs anyway.

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2009, 14:27
my old blue heeler would lay on her pack until i put it on her. it was like some dogs with their collars, it identifies them as part of your pack. besides, at 40 lbs, that dog shouldn't carry more than 5-6 lbs anyway.
the collar & pack probably does identify them with the pack,but it also means they know your leaving & you ain't leaving me behind!:D
3-5 pounds is what i thought i said? not 5-6. thats even a big deal for all the ounce counting weenies. some dogs are great with a pack most are not. seen my share of hurting dogs on the trail, sucks to be that dog. my dog seemed ok with me carrying her stuff.

kanga
12-31-2009, 15:29
the collar & pack probably does identify them with the pack,but it also means they know your leaving & you ain't leaving me behind!:D
3-5 pounds is what i thought i said? not 5-6. thats even a big deal for all the ounce counting weenies. some dogs are great with a pack most are not. seen my share of hurting dogs on the trail, sucks to be that dog. my dog seemed ok with me carrying her stuff.
sorry! i didn't mean to make it sound like i wasn't agreeing with you. i was quoting you for reference but meant it for the op.

drifters quest
12-31-2009, 16:43
I'm not planning on putting much weight in her pack, 5lbs is about the max I would ever plan to have in there and even the xsmall seems to have plenty of room for that. I'm gonna try make some more adjustments on the small first though since the only thing that doesn't seem to fit her is the front chest straps. My pack isn't very big so I was thinking of just putting some of the lighter stuff that's a bit bulkier- like her blanket, food bowl. I'm planning on carrying most of her food and all her water. I'm also looking for a pack for reasons other than a thru hike. She's a medium sized dog, but strong and lean and loves to feel useful. I'm planning on using it a lot before the hike so if I find it's not for her I have plenty of time to ditch it before I start the hike.

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2009, 16:46
sorry! i didn't mean to make it sound like i wasn't agreeing with you. i was quoting you for reference but meant it for the op.
would you agree if i said ''you should never put water in a dogs pack?''

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2009, 16:47
I'm not planning on putting much weight in her pack, 5lbs is about the max I would ever plan to have in there and even the xsmall seems to have plenty of room for that. I'm gonna try make some more adjustments on the small first though since the only thing that doesn't seem to fit her is the front chest straps. My pack isn't very big so I was thinking of just putting some of the lighter stuff that's a bit bulkier- like her blanket, food bowl. I'm planning on carrying most of her food and all her water. I'm also looking for a pack for reasons other than a thru hike. She's a medium sized dog, but strong and lean and loves to feel useful. I'm planning on using it a lot before the hike so if I find it's not for her I have plenty of time to ditch it before I start the hike.
i like how you said you will just pack the bulky stuff on her like her blanket and such. i think you'll do fine hiking you seem to get it!! happy hiking.

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2009, 16:50
sorry! i didn't mean to make it sound like i wasn't agreeing with you. i was quoting you for reference but meant it for the op.by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

kanga
12-31-2009, 17:49
would you agree if i said ''you should never put water in a dogs pack?''
yes, i would agree with that.

thelowend
01-20-2010, 00:31
im looking for packs for my pup too.. a verry lean little 40lb black lab (who loves to feel useful as well).. i really dig the approach from ruffwear so far. will REI let you take the pups in to fit?

Snags09
01-20-2010, 00:58
I thru hiked with my 75 lb boxer with a medium approach. Its a great pack but I would suggest you roll with a small. Keep on trekking

kanga
01-20-2010, 09:10
second on the small.

Keith and Jack
01-20-2010, 11:55
I think it all depends on a dogs fitness. My dog carries about 12 lbs and he is 78 lbs. He never looks tired or uncomfortable. I too have a palisades, love it. But it do find as the pack weight lowers it does tend to get unballenced.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/6/2/0/cimg3506_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37791&catid=member&imageuser=19620)

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 12:52
I think it all depends on a dogs fitness. My dog carries about 12 lbs and he is 78 lbs. He never looks tired or uncomfortable. I too have a palisades, love it. But it do find as the pack weight lowers it does tend to get unballenced.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/6/2/0/cimg3506_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37791&catid=member&imageuser=19620)
good lookin' dog!

kanga
01-20-2010, 13:41
yeah, except for that pad that's gonna hit every little thing goin down the trail. do your dog a favor and take that crap off the dog.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 13:44
yeah, except for that pad that's gonna hit every little thing goin down the trail. do your dog a favor and take that crap off the dog.
i thought it was the owners pad til i looked at his other photos and realized it was the dogs. IMO the owner should carry both sleeping pads. its to akward for the dog to carry properly
this dog is one of the few i've seen that looks like it needs a pack to slow it down:D. or i'd say the owner looks like a tank and could carry everything like i did!

Keith and Jack
01-20-2010, 13:59
good lookin' dog!
Thanks.

I found that my palisades pack was coming loose during hiking. So I measured it to my dog carefully and sewed all the straps. I just hope he doesn’t gain to much weight now. And back to weight of the packs, in cool weather I switch out the two big reservoirs for two 12-16 oz bottles, it really reduces the amount of weight he caries and it is easier to tell how much water is left.

Keith and Jack
01-20-2010, 14:03
He carries his stuff, i carry mine thats the way I do it. Its his pad. First time i went hiking without one for him and he decided to take mine during the night. It does hit branches but i cant put it long ways.

Fog Horn
12-24-2010, 18:13
Moonbowgear makes custom packs to your needs and your dogs size

http://moonbowgear.com/3petgear/petgearmore.html

Ashla113
12-29-2010, 06:37
I have a 60lb border collie mix, and have the ruffwear approach pack (which is amazing!) He wears a medium but with all the straps tightened completely. You definitely need a small!

kanga
12-29-2010, 11:38
He carries his stuff, i carry mine thats the way I do it. Its his pad. First time i went hiking without one for him and he decided to take mine during the night. It does hit branches but i cant put it long ways.
inconveniencing your dog for your own wishes is irresponsible and selfish. if you're not prepared to carry some of his stuff to make him comfortable on a hike that was your decision, then you don't need to be taking a dog out.

Dirty Nails
12-30-2010, 03:13
Drifters Quest,
Ruffwear sells the harness only, without the pockets. You might consider trying those first to find the right fit (if you can find them). I went to EMS and tried that first before I chose the medium Approach for my 60lb. dog.
I'm quite happy with the fit of the harness, great to lift the dog or help her over stuff, Like tough water crossings.
The pockets are another story. They were way too big for my liking, catching and scraping on stuff. I added snaps so I can fold in some fabric and reduce their size.

Make sure you judge the pack fit by the size of the harness, not the pockets.

I agree with others and do not have my dog carry water. I also carry the dog food to keep it dry. My dog carries a small bowl, brush, and other small, light things that won't get damaged.