PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who spends time hiking in fivefingers...

v5planet
12-27-2009, 11:02
Was wondering what you do, if anything, for protection of your lower leg, especially around the ankle region. I adopted five fingers into my life a couple years ago now, and use them for most outdoor athletic activities. I haven't touched traditional running shoes since I put those on; I kayak in them as well; and have done numerous day hikes wearing them. I find them incredibly comfortable to use (especially in wet conditions - welcome to the Appalachian River, right?) and have been seriously considering them as my main footwear for my upcoming thruhike this season. But so far my hiking experience in them has been on fairly wide trails with minimal undergrowth, or in early spring/late fall when there are fewer low lying plants teeming maliciously with blood sucking parasitic arthropods.

As anyone who's seen them knows, even the most fully-covering models leave the ankles prominently exposed - I was wondering if anyone has a solution for keeping the ticks out. I was thinking of modifying mine with some sort of gaiter-like attachments. I'm curious if anyone here has tried something similar or, failing that, could you cradle me gently with words of wisdom? I suppose this query extends to those of you who hike in sandals, flipflops, crocs, or *gasp* barefoot. Do you worry about them Lyme-ridden creepy crawlers?

Wolfmaan
12-27-2009, 11:26
Greetings v5Planet!

I hike in my Vibram Fivefingers in the cold weather when it's less than +10C out. My easiest answer is to wear long pants with your VFF's and that will give you the protection you need.

Still not enough protection?

When it's deep winter and there is lots of snow on the ground, I don't hesitate to put gaiters over my shell suit with VFF's underneath. This has worked now for several seasons. Including doing professional guide work with VFFs in snow

I hope this is some assistance to you

Wolfmaan
12-27-2009, 11:27
I do generally hike barefoot and logged over 1,000km barefoot in summer of 2009. I usually wear pants with tie-offs on the ankle so I can snug them up so that nothing can go up my pant leg.

sbhikes
12-28-2009, 00:46
Even running shoes leave your ankles exposed, so I'm not sure why you are so concerned about shoes with toes. Wear socks or pants or gaiters if you want to keep your ankles covered. Cut the feet off your socks and just wear the ankle part if you can't wear socks.

As for ticks, I don't know what they are like back east, but here out west they don't just get on you, bite you and stay there. They try to crawl into a tight spot, like your waist band or some place tight like that, and then bite you. So your exposed ankles might actually be an advantage as far as ticks go since there's little for them to hang onto or get themselves bound up close to you in that area.

Shiraz-mataz
12-28-2009, 07:56
...I suppose this query extends to those of you who hike in sandals, flipflops, crocs, or *gasp* barefoot. Do you worry about them Lyme-ridden creepy crawlers?

I hike in sandals and barefoot about 50/50 and have never had a problem with ticks. I suppose from your question that you're concerned about the ticks that crawl UP from ground level opposed to the ones that get brushed off of tree leaves... Honestly, I can almost always feel the little buggers crawling on my leg way before they have a chance to latch on - yes, even the little deer ticks. So, in my experience, I've never understood or believed the sage advice to wear long pants and shoes with socks to dissuade ticks. They just keep crawling on your clothes until they find what they're looking for one way or the other!

v5planet
12-28-2009, 18:53
Thanks guys, this is helpful advice! I hadn't considered the low likelihood of ticks to latch on to ankles, or how wont they are to wander where they want to go anyway, obstructive clothing be damned. If any of your are out this coming season starting in April look for the skinny kid with eccentric footwear!

Moxcey
02-10-2010, 21:40
Thanks guys, this is helpful advice! I hadn't considered the low likelihood of ticks to latch on to ankles, or how wont they are to wander where they want to go anyway, obstructive clothing be damned. If any of your are out this coming season starting in April look for the skinny kid with eccentric footwear!

Haha, make that two (24-year-old) skinny kids with eccentric footwear. I'm planning on hiking mostly in FiveFingers as well. I cut off the feet from a pair of nylon dress socks a long time ago so I could wear something to bed in the winter that didn't suffocate my ankles/shins. I kept the nylon tubes that were leftover and have been thinking about bringing those along for additional protection. Even if I don't use them, they weigh almost nothing and take up hardly any space.

verber
02-11-2010, 03:21
I haven't had problems with ticks latching on to bare ankles... but then again, my feet are typically moving. Much more likely to have them come from above or the side as a brush against plants.

If you want to use socks, Injinji liners work pretty well. If you are really concerned about ticks you can treat them with permethrin. I generally like using five fingers (especially when it's wet)... my one warning is that the tread isn't very aggressive... so when you are dealing will lose material (moderate amount of leaves over hardpack, mud, etc) you might not get the traction you would like. After trying the five fingers on and off, I have returned to using a pair of Inov-8 trail runners most of the time.

--Mark

JAK
02-11-2010, 03:44
I myself prefer a more primitive and traditional approach to minimalism. :)

JAK
02-11-2010, 03:48
I myself prefer a more primitive and traditional approach to minimalism. :)

Of course this is probably why they ended up killing poor old Otzi the iceman. lol

iamscottym
02-11-2010, 03:51
better make that three 24yr olds with eccentric footwear! VFF's rock! Which models are you all using? I've got the KSO's but I'm considering the trekkers.

JAK
02-11-2010, 04:01
I see them gathering now to do in poor old Otzi junior. lol

thelowend
02-12-2010, 01:48
if youre super worried about ticks, check your legs and other hairy, exposed spots on your body whenever you take a break and at camp in the morning and at night. it is an easy 2 minute process.

WalkSoftly33
02-12-2010, 02:32
better make that three 24yr olds with eccentric footwear! VFF's rock! Which models are you all using? I've got the KSO's but I'm considering the trekkers.

Make that four...well almost, 25 now will be turning 26 two days before Im on top of Springer Mt. So I guess I cant be in the family, I will have to settle for being the crazy uncle or something.

I Hike in my Brown VFF KSO Treks and I love them. I wear a pair of http://www.injinjistore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IS&Product_Code=TOQRTER&Category_Code

that could do something to give your ankles some brush protection but the main reason I wear them is the merino wool blend keeps the stank out of the leather on the treks. I have had mine since october and there is no detectable stink, only a nice leather smell.

Apr 1st NOBO

Maddog
02-12-2010, 04:44
I haven't had problems with ticks latching on to bare ankles... but then again, my feet are typically moving. Much more likely to have them come from above or the side as a brush against plants.

If you want to use socks, Injinji liners work pretty well. If you are really concerned about ticks you can treat them with permethrin. I generally like using five fingers (especially when it's wet)... my one warning is that the tread isn't very aggressive... so when you are dealing will lose material (moderate amount of leaves over hardpack, mud, etc) you might not get the traction you would like. After trying the five fingers on and off, I have returned to using a pair of Inov-8 trail runners most of the time.

--Mark

i'll be bringing both VFF and INOV-8 trail runners on my upcoming thru-hike!:D

Ol Mole
02-12-2010, 06:21
I was wondering if anyone has a solution for keeping the ticks out. I was thinking of modifying mine with some sort of gaiter-like attachments. I'm curious if anyone here has tried something similar or, failing that, could you cradle me gently with words of wisdom? I suppose this query extends to those of you who hike in sandals, flipflops, crocs, or *gasp* barefoot. Do you worry about them Lyme-ridden creepy crawlers?

Carry a clove of garlic. Crush the garlic and rub it on your ankles. It will keep tics and fleas off your ankles.

brooklynkayak
02-12-2010, 06:58
if youre super worried about ticks, check your legs and other hairy, exposed spots on your body whenever you take a break and at camp in the morning and at night. it is an easy 2 minute process.

Ticks are a major problem on the AT, especially if not treated right away. Three of us came down with Lyme summer before last. I was bit in the middle of my back, the others were both bit on their legs, one upper and one lower. So it seems that deer ticks aren't too particular where they bite.

We treat all our hiking clothes with permethrin twice a year. It is safe and harmless if you follow the instructions and wash your clothes after treatment.

GeneralLee10
02-12-2010, 09:56
I have a question, When your hiking with a person male or female. You don't look/check the others back, head the hard parts of the body to view (no not what your thinking). This in return would save you all from a doctors visit. I mean come on seriously, Say hey man look at my back do I have a tick? If so, can you please help me get it off. Male or not if you were to ask me I would definitely help you. Even for a quick look at the back.

Moxcey
02-20-2010, 20:24

I'm bringing both a pair of KSOs (black) for dry/warm weather and a pair of Flows (could only find the gray/camo in my size) for the wet/cold. I think the Flows are the only kind that are nonbreathable and will keep your feet warm if it's really chilly. Even without socks.