PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba

pokohiker
09-04-2004, 16:40
Anyone have any input on the msr hubba tent? I'm ditching my hennessy hammock and underquilt, to cramped for me (stiff neck every morning). I need to make up my mind soon, back on the trail in two weeks. Thanks.

grrickar
09-04-2004, 17:01
Yep. I love mine. I'm taking it section hiking in about 4 weeks. It has a decent size vestibule to cover your pack or to cook under, and it is really lightweight. You should be able to sit up in it, but don't expect to be able to get your pack in there with you. I'm 6'1" and there isn't much room to move around. I have found that REI quit carrying both the tent and the footprint - at least on their website. Not sure why. :confused:

I picked mine up new on Ebay. The two man version is the Hubba Hubba, and there is one up for sale there now.

It is very easy to setup and takedown, and the tent itself is freestanding. The poles are shockcorded and are lightweight aluminum, and the stakes are aluminum needle type. You can setup the tent with just the footprint and the rain fly if you wanted to. The tent is really narrow. That was the one thing that surprised me. I have wide shoulders and there isn't much space on either side of them. It does have two mesh gear pockets to storing stuff.

Check this thread out for comments on the Hubba: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4697

grrickar
09-05-2004, 18:24
I went to a local REI and they told me that REI had not stopped carrying the tent, but that when they are out of stock on an item many times they will remove it from the website. The REI in Bailey's CrossRoads (Northern VA) had the Hubba, but not the footprint.

pokohiker
09-06-2004, 11:59
grrickar

If you had to do it over again would you buy the hubba or the hubba hubba? I'm not sure which to carry on a thru hike. 1lb = extra room but it's still 1lb. I'm 5' 10" and 190lbs and like sit up and be able to change clothes inside. Will the hubba allow this? Thanks, Dave

grrickar
09-06-2004, 12:40
You will most certainly be able to sit up and change in it. It's hard to describe, but the tent is wider at the top. When laying down there is not much room from the sides of the tent to my shoulders (I have wide shoulders, so this may not be an issue for everyone).

I'd still buy the Hubba if I had to do it all over again. I'm 6'1" and 230, so I'm not a small guy - and its fine to me. I find that most 2 person backpacking tents are not 'really' two person (unless the two people are midgets). I have seen the Hubba Hubba and it would be tight with two people in it. For a two man tent I am considering a MSR Zoid2. I think you will find the Hubba to be a great one man tent.

I showed it to a buddy of mine who has an REI Half Dome 2 man, and he was really impressed by it. I bought the Hubba because it was more roomy to sit up in than say the SD Clip Flashlight or that style of tent. The outfitter pointed that out when I was in his shop.

The outfitter wanted $220 for the tent, which turned me off buying it. I found a new one on Ebay and got it for $162, which isn't much more than a new SD Clip Flashlight. FWIW, REI is having a labor day sale and they had the MSR ZOID2 for about $130 I think (this was in the store in Northern VA, I could not even find the tent on their website). If you have an REI close to you, you might want to check out their deals.