PDA

View Full Version : Really Cool People on the Trail

Ron Haven
12-27-2009, 12:48
I was reading post on several different sites of Christmas and what people got and got to do.I feel like a really lucky person to get to meet so many great people every year on the A T.Who have you meet on the trail that you thought was super cool?

As this year comes to a close,I wish all of you the best in life that I had the pleasure of meeting this past year as all whom I have met in the past.My New Years resolution is hoping to have a great year in 2010 with the hiker class who will be heading my way soon.

I hope all of you had a great year in your hiker experiences and God Bless

From the Ron Haven Family to yours :sun Happy New Year 2010 to all.

Bulldawg
12-27-2009, 13:12
I was reading post on several different sites of Christmas and what people got and got to do.I feel like a really lucky person to get to meet so many great people every year on the A T.Who have you meet on the trail that you thought was super cool?

As this year comes to a close,I wish all of you the best in life that I had the pleasure of meeting this past year as all whom I have met in the past.My New Years resolution is hoping to have a great year in 2010 with the hiker class who will be heading my way soon.

Happy New Years to you and yours as well Ron. It is always a great feeling to know I've got such a great friend in Franklin. We'll see you many times, as always, in 2010. Looking forward to a great year out on the trail.

Tabasco
12-27-2009, 15:11
Really cool guy named Ron Haven picked me up at Deep Gap a couple years ago when I tore my MCL. Great conversation on the way to the NOC to get my car.

Tinker
12-27-2009, 15:38
A few years back I met Kay Wood, taking a stroll in Mass. when I was sectioning there. Very nice lady.

Nean
12-27-2009, 15:46

I met a guy named Crutch... said he was a good friend of yours....

Sorry Ron, bad joke....

Graywolf
12-27-2009, 15:56
Only people I have actually met were Winto Porter, great guy and good conversation from Atlanta to Springer.

Cool AT Breeze is cool..Very good conversation and great company..

All the folks from Mountain Crossings is great...

Then their are many here @Whiteblaze that has givin me a lot of tips and advice, hope I meet some of you soon on the trail.. That would be a blast...

Graywolf

Rockhound
12-27-2009, 16:24
Can't quite remember his name but is was something like Mississippi Smitty. Taught me all I know about hiking. Things like always carry 6 rolls of TP and be sure to double filter your water then boil it and filter it again. That is if you are not going to mail drop water to yourself. Most importantly he taught me to always correct people when you see them doing anything differently than you, that is to say incorrectly. A wise man that MS

garlic08
12-27-2009, 18:39
I was pleased to meet Baltimore Jack at Ron Haven's motel--two great people who have helped many hikers. The next day, I met Herc and FAL, trail angels who live at the road crossing north of Franklin. And the Baptist Chuch in Franklin met us with coffee and donuts at Winding Stair Gap, and hosted a breakfast. Franklin is a fine place with too many cool people to name.

Heck, the AT is all about the great people you meet. Doesn't NST mean National Social Trail?

Chaco Taco
12-27-2009, 18:48
First trail characters I met were Curtis and Otto. Good times.

Met lots of people in 08 that have become like family. Really have a great group of friends on the trail and they all should know they have friends here in the AVL.

Anumber1
12-27-2009, 21:03
Mr. Bob Peoples - no need to explain

Ron Haven
12-27-2009, 23:37
Really cool guy named Ron Haven picked me up at Deep Gap a couple years ago when I tore my MCL. Great conversation on the way to the NOC to get my car.Thanks,Tabasco.I remember you too.

I met a guy named Crutch... said he was a good friend of yours....Sorry Ron, bad joke.... Nean you still having fun in Southern Colorado?

Happy New Years to you and yours as well Ron. It is always a great feeling to know I've got such a great friend in Franklin. We'll see you many times, as always, in 2010. Looking forward to a great year out on the trail.We feal that way about you folks too.We don't have to have a party planned for you folks to stop in.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-28-2009, 01:49

Cool people that I've met on the trail? You've got to be kidding - right? Every time I am out on the trail (whether it's a day hike, a section hike or on my thru in '03) I meet at least 1 cool person. I would never believe that all the great people out on the trail actually exist - if I didn't keep bumping into them all the time! I don't want to get too sappy - but as a whole - my years hiking on the AT (and I grew up as a cynical New Yorker) - have definetely strengthened my faith in the capacity for good in my fellow man. If the "real world" could become more like the "trail world" ... we could do wonders.

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 11:16
met a tucker and a fabion and there was a raven and an lp i think it stood for low profile, and oh,....humans? no. just cool dogs.

i will now list humans that are great in order of greatness.

everyone i ever met
lwolf

Ron Haven
12-28-2009, 12:05
met a tucker and a fabion and there was a raven and an lp i think it stood for low profile, and oh,....humans? no. just cool dogs.

i will now list humans that are great in order of greatness.

everyone i ever met
lwolfMatty,I thought it was cool meeting you.You put me in the mind of my Great Aunt Lizzy the lice eat up.Sorry,you left the door wide open for it.Really had lots of fun around you.Have a happy New Year:D

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 12:08
Met a whole bunch of hiker trash at Soruck last year, including Ron Haven.

what a great time

Ron Haven
12-28-2009, 18:53

what a great timeI had a bunch of hiker trash here in Franklin a couple of weeks ago. :eek:

I run threads like this as a survey to see how many people on WhiteBlaze are already hikers and from the post returns. :-?

I think they are all going to be many on here 2010 graduates because all hikers runs in to cool hikers every day. :banana

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 23:09
I met this dude name Warghy something or other on the trail one night at NEEL Gap. I thought at the time he was really cool people. And his lady friend makes on hell of a Mojito.

Monkeyboy
12-28-2009, 23:37
I met some dipwad named Skids at Rock Gap shelter one year at lunchtime.......

Thank God he was going the other direction....... :)

Monkeyboy
12-28-2009, 23:37

what a great time

And this year???

Nean
12-28-2009, 23:53
Nean you still having fun in Southern Colorado?

I'm having fun in N.C. at the moment. :D

Ron Haven
12-29-2009, 02:20
I'm having fun in N.C. at the moment. :DIf you just loafing,stop by Franklin.I'll take you out to lunch.

Ron Haven
12-29-2009, 02:26
And this year???I'm going back this year too.I've already had Sly to make me a name tag but most everybody there knows me.

Nean
12-29-2009, 09:20
If you just loafing,stop by Franklin.I'll take you out to lunch.

Hanging with friends on the coast for now but back to the trail in a couple of weeks. Hope to take you up on that offer in Feb.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 09:24
Who have you meet on the trail that you thought was super cool?

ward leonard

chelko
12-29-2009, 13:08
I finally go to meet Curtis at Standing bear Farm this summer when he did a shuttle for my daughter and I then let us pitch a tent in his yard at the end of our hike. Great experience and a great resource of trail knowledge. Happy new year to you and Maria Curtis.

Kevin Chelko

Raul Perez
01-03-2010, 11:27
did my first hike on the AT starting at bear mountain inn and stopped at west mountain shelter for the night. My friend shared the shelter with a man named "free bird" who came up from Virginia on the AT on his way home to Maine after he lost his job.

Really cool guy. We ended up giving him some extra food and filling his fuel bottle up with some of our denatured alcohol. Hope he made it home ok.