PDA

View Full Version : Savage Gulf

Tractor
09-04-2004, 18:35
Anybody have a good guess as to when the ticks are out for the year? I want to get back to Savage Gulf for a weekender but had rather wait till the little monsters are dormant. The last time I was in there, the hikers who traveled the southern plateau had them by the dozens. One hiker thought they were attracted by the DEET and possibly eating it???

b.t.w., anyone up for a Savage Gulf weekender after the ticks are gone?

MOWGLI
09-04-2004, 21:06
Anybody have a good guess as to when the ticks are out for the year? I want to get back to Savage Gulf for a weekender but had rather wait till the little monsters are dormant. The last time I was in there, the hikers who traveled the southern plateau had them by the dozens. One hiker thought they were attracted by the DEET and possibly eating it???

b.t.w., anyone up for a Savage Gulf weekender after the ticks are gone?

I just got back from a 19 mile day hike at Savage Gulf. I did the SG Loop to the North Rim Trail to the Connector to the Stagecoach Trail to the South Rim trail and out. I used no bug juice and other than a few horse flies (on the Stagecoach Trail) there was no issue with bugs. Great day for a hike!

Go for it!

Lilred
09-05-2004, 08:38
I heard an old wive's tale that says if you wash your clothes in Lysol, it keeps the ticks away. I haven't tried it yet, but they're not old wive's tales for nothin....A capful is supposed to do the trick. :-?

MOWGLI
09-07-2004, 14:03
For those interested - here is a link to a map of Savage Gulf - http://www.friendsofscsra.org/maps_5_2003/Savage_Gulf_map.jpg

Tractor
10-19-2004, 21:27
Since the ticks are gone, thought I would try the South Rim-Stagecoach-Connector to Hobbs Cabin, then the long way North back to Savage. Nice tradeoff, no ticks/mosquitos/copperheads/dearflys/etc... but around 40 each morning. Lots of yellows/golds/coppers/browns & a few reds. Lot's of blowdowns, too, but trail and most campsites are clear. May go back, in a few, for another gear shakedown before next AT section next year. Anybody in?