PDA

View Full Version : Appy Trails floorless tents (shaped tarps)

Tinker
12-27-2009, 18:05
I saw these http://www.appytrails.com/at_four_man.html at Trail Days this spring.
Does anyone own one?
I'm curious about how they hold up.
They seem to be inexpensive and light with a decent design.
I'm thinking that they might be good for a thruhike - maybe.:-?
This is another item I'd love to try but don't have the cash to waste;).

BrianLe
12-27-2009, 18:10
You can find three reviews of their Mark III (3-man) tent at backpackgeartest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/Appy%20Trails%20Mark%20III%20Tent/)

skinewmexico
12-27-2009, 21:19
They set up and weigh what they are supposed to, but our troop hasn't used them in any weather yet.

Wags
12-27-2009, 22:47
could be a really interesting winter option

Tinker
12-27-2009, 22:51
could be a really interesting winter option
Yeah, digging them into some deep snow would make them walk in shelters (done all the time with pyramids).

Bulldawg
12-27-2009, 23:09
Interesting, affordable tarptent. All the reviewers seemed to have a condensation, but isn't that to be expected with a single wall tent? I'm in the market for a nice big light two or even three person shelter. Looked at a GoLite Shangri La 3. This is a much more affordable option for sure.

Tinker
12-27-2009, 23:15
Interesting, affordable tarptent. All the reviewers seemed to have a condensation, but isn't that to be expected with a single wall tent? I'm in the market for a nice big light two or even three person shelter. Looked at a GoLite Shangri La 3. This is a much more affordable option for sure.
I don't think there's a camper alive who's never experienced condensation. It comes from 1) The moisture in the ground, and, 2) From the moisture in your breath and insensible perspiration (light sweat).
I've had it on the underside of tarps pitched for good ventilation.
Find out what their return policy is and try one out. Use a groundsheet, don't sweat or breathe (or give off body heat) and you'll beat the condensation problem ;).

Bulldawg
12-27-2009, 23:30
I don't think there's a camper alive who's never experienced condensation. It comes from 1) The moisture in the ground, and, 2) From the moisture in your breath and insensible perspiration (light sweat).
I've had it on the underside of tarps pitched for good ventilation.
Find out what their return policy is and try one out. Use a groundsheet, don't sweat or breathe (or give off body heat) and you'll beat the condensation problem ;).

Of course, all campers have experienced condensation. It's just that some shelters tend to handle it better than others. I may well try one of these out. You certainly can't beat the price and the weight is very impressive. One thing I did see that bothered me was the tautness of the pitch. I like a tent or tarp to be nice and taut, tight even. It seems from reading the reviews it is almost impossible to do so with this shelter. I am going to email them.

skinewmexico
12-28-2009, 00:07
I've had trouble getting them to pitch taut. Probably just need more practice. I know on our 5 man we were considering rigging a hooped pole towards the end. Wouldn't add much weight either. They seem be a bargain to me.

Wags
12-28-2009, 12:19
i'm wondering if the condensation issues are from the "waterproof poly" fabric they are using as well. either way, it looks like an interesting $90 winter option for under 1 1/2 lbs. someone should enlist me as a gear tester :D