PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Quality

MAGafee
12-27-2009, 18:29
Will a cheaper sleeper bag rated to 0 degrees, do just about as good as an expensive one rated to 0 degrees? I have a zero degree bag from Field and Stream that cost 50 dollars. Will that be sufficient for a mid March start from Springer? Thanks!

bigcranky
12-27-2009, 18:37
Will a cheaper sleeper bag rated to 0 degrees, do just about as good as an expensive one rated to 0 degrees?

Not really. Temperature ratings are notoriously fuzzy with the less expensive bags. But it'll probably be fine. The common downsides to low cost bags are weight and bulk, which might be more of an issue. You can always start with it and replace it up the trail if you want.

Tinker
12-27-2009, 18:51
Well if you have a back yard and a sleeping pad it should be easy enough to find out, no?
Wait until the temperature gets down to near zero and try the bag out in the back yard. Keep in mind that if you are wet, tired, hungry or dehydrated you will not sleep nearly as warm as you do at home with your customary diet, etc.

Pacific Tortuga
12-27-2009, 19:11
:welcome

There are no set regulations on bag temp ratings so any company can say what they want.
Most the time you get exactly what you pay for, you might score a good used one here or ?
The price also dictates the quality of the shell which is just as important as the temp and fill to me.

white_russian
12-27-2009, 19:22
The only sleeping bag ratings you can be sure of are those rated with EN13537. It is really the only standard out there and with ones sold in America I think Marmot is the only company that does it. There are companies out there that make them true to rating and those who don't so you really have to do your research sometimes.

Tipi Walter
12-27-2009, 19:26
I'd go with Tinker's idea of the backyard camp. It's the tried and true taste test when it comes to winter sleeping.

ChinMusic
12-27-2009, 19:31
Well if you have a back yard and a sleeping pad it should be easy enough to find out, no?
Wait until the temperature gets down to near zero and try the bag out in the back yard. Keep in mind that if you are wet, tired, hungry or dehydrated you will not sleep nearly as warm as you do at home with your customary diet, etc.

In bold is important for a home test.

You will find that you will often feel colder on the trail than in your backyard for a given temp. I'd guess 5 degrees for my own tests.

Tuckahoe
12-27-2009, 19:34
Agree with Tinker and Tipi. Nothing wrong with cheap gear that works and no one should hit the trail without first trying out their gear. And so the best thing to do is to do just as they suggest and camp out in the back yard.

gunner76
12-27-2009, 20:18
Test your gear...

I have a new bag (20 degree rating) that I have been trying to test but the weather has not gotten cold enough where I live. Wife thinks I'm crazy but I told her I would rather find out here at home than out on a trail where I'm stuck and cold.

Also make sure you have a good sleeping pad. Even the best of bags can not make up for too thin of a pad and a thin pad will not provide enough cushion for your bod.

4shot
12-27-2009, 20:36
The only sleeping bag ratings you can be sure of are those rated with EN13537. It is really the only standard out there and with ones sold in America I think Marmot is the only company that does it. There are companies out there that make them true to rating and those who don't so you really have to do your research sometimes.

per the REI guys I have talked to.To the original poster, I bought a marmot bag this year, my first bag from a top end manufacturer, and I was blown away by how warm it was. it was the first bag where i felt the temp rating was conservative.

Connie
12-27-2009, 21:19
I purchased a -5 bag here in the states and it was -5 C

...as in Centigrade, not labeled that way either.

On the other hand, I purchased a 0 F bag at the Boy Scouts office, on sale, and it really really is a 0 degree Fahrenheit bag.

I say, check it out. It might perform as rated, but expect it to run on the heavy side.

It is the rated lightweight sleep systems that cost the big buck$.

That said, I am just about ready to attempt a DIY/MYOG 15-20 F Climateshield Combat quilt. It is about as simple a sewing project as can be: Climateshield Combat only need be sewn at the edges. I know how to measure, layout, cut and sew.

I am just sayin... it is possible to have nice gear without the bigbuck$.

. . .

cwayman1
12-27-2009, 21:43

Mountain Hardwear also does this. I bought my girlfriend a MHW Women's Lamina 20 bag for Christmas and read up on that when doing my research. I thought buying about the unisex Lamina 35for her for the extra room, but then I found out that it was rated for women only down to ~45*.

The Women"s specific bags are actually right around the given rating.

http://mountainhardwear.com/images/EN_Ratings.pdf

birdog
12-27-2009, 22:06
Under estimation is the mother of all failures. What does it weigh? What is the insulation? Mummy or rectangular? Try it first. Don't gear test on the trail without some sort of plan B.

white_russian
12-27-2009, 22:10
It is good to see more companies are coming on board with the EN rating. Good for the consumers and reputable companies anyway.

I wonder when can we expect companies like Slumberjack to post EN ratings :confused:

DapperD
12-28-2009, 00:55
Will a cheaper sleeper bag rated to 0 degrees, do just about as good as an expensive one rated to 0 degrees? I have a zero degree bag from Field and Stream that cost 50 dollars. Will that be sufficient for a mid March start from Springer? Thanks!Most likely, no. Not to say it absolutely will not suffice for what you are using it for, but I seriously doubt that a $50 bag is going to give the performance of a bag in the $300 or more price range. This I believe is one piece of gear where what you pay is what you get. One thing is maybe you can find some reviews on your particular make and model, but be rest assured when it becomes very cold out you will not want to be caught in a 0 degree rated bag that only will keep you warm to 50 degrees.

Dogwood
12-28-2009, 01:40
MAGafee, I wish I had asked your question to those in the know before I had spent all the money and those less than comfortable nights in cheaply constructed heavy bulky sleeping bags.

The short simple answer to a more complex question than you now realize is - NO - not all sleeping bags are made the same or can even be accurately compared!!!

HOWEVER, don't blow a fuse trying to figure it all out right away. It can easily overwhelm you! I'm currently on my 9 th long distance thru-hike and I learn new things about gear and myself all the time! I'm constantly tweaking my gear! Continue to prepare the best you can for your upcoming thru-hike. Stay open to new ideas. You still have several months to figure out what you want in a sleeping bag. It would be wise to test your gear w/ some overnights in the yard before you hit the trail with it. I'm not familar with your Field and Stream bag but it's my guess it will suffice for when you start on the AT. You will learn a lot from other hikers and yourself as you gain more experience once out on the trail. You will better understand gear, your hiking style, and what gear BEST SUITS YOU as you continue on your hike. You very well might want to take Big Cranky's advice and start out with your Field and Stream 0* bag with a mid-late March start date, but be prepared to replace it somewhere along the way. You may find it to be too warm/heavy/bulky further into your thru-hike.

Hiking, or in your case thru-hiking, is only partly about the gear. Thru-hiking is ultimately about you!

MAGafee
12-28-2009, 17:15
Thanks for all on the great advice. I'll be doing a back-yard campout very soon.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 17:24
Thanks for all on the great advice. I'll be doing a back-yard campout very soon.
If it's cold enough see how much warmer your parka (jacket, whatever), gloves, balaclava, etc. makes you feel. Your clothing is a part of the equation for how low a temp can go with you being comfortable.