PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2

Chaco Taco
12-27-2009, 20:32
So we are considering carrying this tent with us.

Its pricey but is it worth it?

Chaco Taco
12-27-2009, 20:33
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/CopperSpurUL2

Big Dawg
12-27-2009, 20:37
So we are considering carrying this tent with us.

Its pricey but is it worth it?

I think so!

Anumber1
12-27-2009, 20:41
I carried the Copper Spur UL-1 last year (2009) and was very satisfied. The vents in the rain-fly work well to let moisture and stench out. At 3 and a half pounds, carried between 2 people you wouldnt even notice it in your pack. Plus big agnes has great customer service. I had broken part of the main pole and they rushed me the new part free of charge, all I had to do was call.

I'm assuming its for a married couple, no other situation could work comfortably sharing a tent.

gregp
12-27-2009, 22:41
Chaco Taco, I own the Copper Spur Ul2 but have only used it on two occasions so I'm no expert. I can however give you some general observations.

I like the tent. It's light, sturdy, and as bomb proof as one could imagine a tent of it's weight being. That being said, there are a few things I don't like. The floor plan is not rectangular. The foot end is more narrow than the head end. I suppose they did this to save weight but in my opinion, it suffers a bit for room. There is enough room for two sleeping pads side by side but just barely. Two people would definitely be tight in there.

Also, the wall at the foot end is not vertical like the three man version is. I purchased this tent for cold weather and when I use a foam pad and my neo air, my bag does lightly contact the foot end wall. I'm 6' 3" so YMMV there.

Personally, I recommend the tent for the weight and quality but if I were going to be buying it for two, I'd go with the three man version. It doesn't weigh much more and you'll get much more room and a vertical foot end wall.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 19:18
Thanks Greg for the observation. The foot of the tent is important as is the space with 2 pads in it. I like the weight but I also dont want to sacrifice space for weight. We are also looking at the Tarptent Rainbow 2. Not sure about a single wall but with the insertable liner, Im thinking about it.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 20:55
Is there anyone that carries these tents near ASheville

Johnny Thunder
12-28-2009, 23:44
Footprint is the same as my tent. you can set both up and imagine:

1. That the BA tent is dumpy looking orange

2. That my TT is 6 inches wider.

Greg is entitled to his opinion...but I spent over a month in a tent with the same floor space and thought it was a house. I mean, just enormous. If I remember correctly (and this is going back 4 or 5 months) it has more floor space than the Hubba Hubba and it is arranged in a way that you can actually use it.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 23:46
Footprint is the same as my tent. you can set both up and imagine:

1. That the BA tent is dumpy looking orange

2. That my TT is 6 inches wider.

Greg is entitled to his opinion...but I spent over a month in a tent with the same floor space and thought it was a house. I mean, just enormous. If I remember correctly (and this is going back 4 or 5 months) it has more floor space than the Hubba Hubba and it is arranged in a way that you can actually use it.

Yea the dimensions are close to our Rock 22. That tent was great, just heavy!

Johnny Thunder
12-28-2009, 23:56
I mean, I don't know if maybe the very bottom is too narrow for two deluxe x-tra long 2-inch thick thermarests....but I never wanted for space. It is huge. Kind of mind-boggling huge. But, I can't remember the last time I used a full-length. Maybe never?

I'm checking right now to make sure that the tents are the same size...OK...so the Emerald Mtn/Copper Spurs are 6 inches longer and 2 inches wider (at the shoulder) than a Hubba Hubba. They have the same footage as far as floor space and offer a half a square foot of extra vestibule space.

I'm using the Hubba as an example. Who hasn't seen one of those?

Reid
12-29-2009, 00:21
Is there anyone that carries these tents near ASheville

Have you looked at REI and DB outfitters?

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:34
Have you looked at REI and DB outfitters?

REI has it online but not at the store