PDA

View Full Version : What should I get from LL Bean?

lustreking
12-27-2009, 21:22
I got a $125 gift certificate for LL Bean for Christmas, and there's two things that I'm interested in. I'm interested in a lightweight down jacket or new trekking poles.

The Ultralight 850 Down Jacket (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=ultralight-850-down-jacket&categoryId=60857&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504722&cat4=504714&shop_method=pp&feat=593-sub1&np=Y) looks nice. It's currently $150. I haven't really shopped at LL Bean before, is there a chance that they'll go on sale as we get closer to spring?

I'm also interested in replacing my Swiss Gear trekking poles. There are two options that I'm looking at.

At $80, there's the LL Bean Hikelite antishock poles (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=54208&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr). They seem to be made by Komperdell. I don't know what the warranty is like, or if replacement parts are readily available for Komperdell poles.

Then at $150 they have Leki Aergon Thermolie XL Antishock poles (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=59968&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr). I definitely like that the Leki poles have a lifetime warranty, and that the tips and everything are replaceable, but that's a whole lot of money! Granted, it is only $25 out of pocket.

So does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about any of these items?

gravy4601
12-27-2009, 22:13
i'd vote for the leki poles 25.00 out of pocket sint to bad a deal seeme how the price should stay about the same the jackett will go on sale and you may even get it for half the price it is now

weary
12-27-2009, 22:26
I got a $125 gift certificate for LL Bean for Christmas, and there's two things that I'm interested in. I'm interested in a lightweight down jacket or new trekking poles.

The Ultralight 850 Down Jacket (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=ultralight-850-down-jacket&categoryId=60857&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504722&cat4=504714&shop_method=pp&feat=593-sub1&np=Y) looks nice. It's currently $150. I haven't really shopped at LL Bean before, is there a chance that they'll go on sale as we get closer to spring?

I'm also interested in replacing my Swiss Gear trekking poles. There are two options that I'm looking at.

At $80, there's the LL Bean Hikelite antishock poles (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=54208&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr). They seem to be made by Komperdell. I don't know what the warranty is like, or if replacement parts are readily available for Komperdell poles.

Then at $150 they have Leki Aergon Thermolie XL Antishock poles (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=59968&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr). I definitely like that the Leki poles have a lifetime warranty, and that the tips and everything are replaceable, but that's a whole lot of money! Granted, it is only $25 out of pocket.

So does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about any of these items?

LL Beans rarely have the most ultralight stuff. But they do have great bargains, and only rarely have totally bad stuff. Regardless, Beans has the best return policiy in the industry.

I've been shopping there ever since it was a tiny loft over the ground floor factory. 60 years later it now has acres of warehouses, and a store and parking lots that spread over many acres, and an increasingly great array of off site outlets. I'm rarely been disappointed shopping at Beans and their 850 down jacket strikes me as an especial bargain.

There is no store that I would trust more than LL Beans.

jbrecon2
12-27-2009, 23:24
those 800 down vests are really nice actually. i went and tried one out and was really impressed. very packable (packs into its own pocket), very nice looking and very comfy.

Tinker
12-27-2009, 23:39
Forget the antishock poles. They don't reduce the shock too much and don't give you as much feel on slippery hard surfaces. Plus the antishock mechanism adds weight and complexity to the pole. If someone gave me antishock poles I wouldn't turn them down, but for that price you could get some really fine lightweight poles elsewhere.
The jacket looks very nice, though I wouldn't call it a full-on winter down jacket. The light weight (despite the superior fillpower of the down) and the close stitching of the down compartments would tend to compress the down (though necessary to hold that little volume of down in place). In other words - a nice layering jacket or camp warm up jacket for right around freezing temps. I'd go for the jacket given those choices.

Tinker
12-27-2009, 23:43
If you're thinking about poles later, I've heard only good things about this company and its products: http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/order-usa.php

Wags
12-28-2009, 01:19
i like the antishock that tinker doesn't like. so maybe you can give them a shot. personally, i don't think you'd go wrong ordering an 800 fill down sweater or leki's

4shot
12-28-2009, 13:45

I have some stuff from them (hunting clothing, the Cresta boots and the ultralight 2 tent). Their stuff is not ultralight but represents good value and they have superior service. I was looking at their down jacket as well but after reading the other forum - gear reviews- I purchased the Land's end down jacket for about $100 less and it is exactly what I wanted: good quality camp jacket without spending a lot of cash. maybe(?) not as nice as the LLB but differences weren't worth $100 to me. as far as poles, look at STP - I just replaced my Wally world poles for a nice pair from Mountainsmith for about the same $ as the WM pair. If you need boots,I would spend my LLB money on another pair of the Cresta hikers. these are by far the best pair of backpacking boots I have owned or tried. Again,not ultralight. i aslo am real happy with the tent. Good luck

peakbagger
12-28-2009, 15:11
Beans has sales but usually they are just to get rid of out of season inventory. Most of their overstocks gets routed to their outlets.

A while back I had some cashback crecit on my Discover card. They offered LL Beans gift cards for 20% off. I dont know if they still do it, but it was a easy way to get 20% of at Beans.

Doooglas
12-29-2009, 20:52
Something wool.

2XL
12-29-2009, 21:39
You could use the poles all year, the jacket is good for a couple months each year.

weary
12-29-2009, 23:11
You could use the poles all year, the jacket is good for a couple months each year.
I use my favorite down jacket virtually year round. There's nothing like a one pound bit of clothing that keeps me comfortable -- and alive -- when the weather turns bad, or other clothing gets wet, or I suddenly need a bit of extra padding, or when I encounter a sudden change in high elevation wind or temperatures.

My first aid kit from injuries is a clean tee shirt, bandaids, and knowledge. My first aid for unexpected vagaries of nature is a bit heavier, but is used far more often than my bandaids, my down jacket.

Weary

lustreking
12-30-2009, 20:46
You are all making good points, unfortunately, that's not making my decision any easier!

I noticed that the Leki Thermolite XLs aren't on Bean's site any longer. Does anyone know what that means? Are they out of stock, or aren't they carrying them any longer?

I also just noticed that the women's ultralight 850 down jacket is on sale, but not the mens.

Bags4266
12-30-2009, 21:15
I own the 850 down jacket. Very nice construction, and warm. Weighs in at 16 oz for a XL. I saw the Lands End down jacket and its no 850 fill but its well worth the 50 to 60 dollars that you could buy it for. saving you 90.