PDA

View Full Version : Neels Gap to Fontana Dam

STICK
12-27-2009, 23:14
To lay it out again, at the end of May I will have 10 full days to hike the AT from Neels Gap to Fontana Dam, and on the 11th day I need to be making my way off so that I can come back home. According to to the 2010 data this distance is 133.7 miles. So, for a daily average, that is 13.37 miles a day. This seems like big miles to me seeing as my fiance and I averaged 10ish the last time we were out, however this time I will be solo so I think I can push out some extra miles ok. However, I am not making plans to do exactly 13.37 miles a day, this is just to give me an idea of what I need.

I just sat down and started looking at some of the stuff (the other thread has gotten me worked up!), and figured I would go ahead and get this thread going too.

So, for starters, I am pretty sure that my fiancee is going to drop me off at Neels Gap and then pick me back up at Fontana, so I'm not that worried about parking and what not, but what I am looking at is where to resupply. I am thinking about making a box up and having my fiancee ship it to a post office somewhere along my trip so that I don't have to carry 10 days of food! The options I see for Post Offices is Hiawassee, GA, and Winding Stair Gap is 10 miles off the trail (one way). I also see that at Deep Gap (USFS 71) groceries are 3.7 miles away and at Standing Indian Campground groceries are 1.5 miles away. This will probably be ok too, but what kinds of groceries will be available?

I am wanting to try to figure out where I will resupply and build my day plan around that. I would be happy resupplying twice as long as it isn't to far out of the way. I just don't want to spend too much time with the resupply. So, any ideas on this?

I am also wondering about which sections I might could get higher mileages out of and which ones should I expect low mileages out of? Also, are there any good parts that I should try and check out, or be on the lookout for?

I have already asked about the crowds around this time, and I think that this will be ok, but other than that, are there any other things that I should be aware of during this time of the year? How is the weather, is there alot of rain, is it still very cold, how about the bugs? You know the typical newbie questions that get asked.... http://www.backpacker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Any information, or suggestions would be great. And thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to join along for this trip, or any part of it just let me know.

So, just for playing around,this is the itinerary that I have come up wit. Keep in mind that this is a (very) rough draft.

Day 1. Neels to Poplar Stamp Gap (12.2 miles)

Day 2. PSG to Cheese Factory (11.6 miles)

Day 3. CF to Dicks Creek Gap (13 miles)

Day 4. DCG to Deep Gap (15.8 miles)

Day 5. DG to Big Spring Shelter (15.3 miles)

Day 6. BSS to Wayah Shelter (20.1)

Day 7. WS to NOC (16.3)

Day 8. NOC to Cheoah Bald (8.1)

Day 9. CB to Cody Gap (10.7 miles)

Day 10. CG to Fontana Dam (10.2 miles)

Day 11. Wake up at Fontana and head home, of course maybe after a little morning hike!

These mileages are based on the 2009 Thru-Hikers Companion.

Also, I know that day 6 s alot of mileage, so let me know about this section. By looking at the elevation profile on the ATC maps that I have it looks like it could be possible with an early start, but......

Also on day 8 I made the mileage low because it looks like its all up hill this day, plus this looks like a nice tall mountain to spend the night. How about it? Any suggestions here?

Thanks

ChinMusic
12-27-2009, 23:34
Also, I know that day 6 s alot of mileage, so let me know about this section. By looking at the elevation profile on the ATC maps that I have it looks like it could be possible with an early start, but......
BSS to Rock Gap is a stroll in the park. There is a decent climb out of Rock Gap and then about 3000 feet of gain after Winding Stair.....long day with most of the climbing coming late in the day. AND you have a resupply scheduled in there.....whew.

You prob won't feel like taking in Siler Bald (steep side trail, can't miss it) which would be a shame.

pyroman53
12-27-2009, 23:43
For me, resupply with a maildrop at NOC is a no brainer since you walk right through it. Dicks Creek Gap is not a place to camp (in my memory) but would be another resupply spot at HIAWASSEE, GA. You can probably get a shuttle easily in May and may want to do an overnight in town.

Winding Stair would be an easy ressuplly at that time of year with Ron Haven's shuttle in full-on mode but you might want to spend the night in Franklin.

The climb out of NOC is tough, but not exceptional, and you'll probably want a late start outta the NOC so your 8 mile day is appropriate.

STICK
12-28-2009, 00:18
Yeah, like I said this is a rough draft. I just sat down tonight and put it together mainly by looking at the elevation profile on the ATC map. I really do want to kind of form my trip around my resupply, and I want to make them as simple as possible to keep from spending alot of wasted time on them. I want to be out there and hike, not shop and prepare food! :)

As far as the camping, I have made these stopping points up, but don't plan on venturing off trail much to find a campsite, let alone to get to a shelter! I would rather stay in my tent. The only thing I will plan hiking very far off the trail for, on a usual bases, is water. So, yet again, I will have to look a little more in detail at water sources and how far off trail they are, this way I can (hopefully) plan to stop at the closest ones.

As far as the day after Fontana Dam, I will probably try to kepp that the way it is. By looking at the elevation, it's all uphill, and I'll be close to the end, but I have heard that it can be a little tough between NOC and Fontana....

As for this hike, I of course want to have a good time, and enjoy getting out there, but I also have an agenda, which is to reach Fontana Dam. I am not dead set on that, like any hike, I will take it day by day, step by step, and play it smart, however, this is the plan that I am making out. The reason being, in October my fiance and I are hiking the Smokies, and I will be a little OCD if I leave a tiny little section incomplete......

Anyway, thanks so far for the replies. I will look into the drop off points, thanks for suggesting them.

GeneralLee10
12-28-2009, 00:19
One thing to keep in mind is that there is No cell service at Dicks Creek Gap Parking Lot. So if you want a ride you mite think about try-n to make a call before you get there. The Hiawassee Inn is a very helpful place and a nice place to get a room. I did a mail drop at the NOC my last hike easy and you walk right through the place. Again a nice place to get a room or bunk. The hike down and out of there is kinda tuff so give your self a little bit more time.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2009, 00:34
One thing to keep in mind is that there is No cell service at Dicks Creek Gap Parking Lot. So if you want a ride you mite think about try-n to make a call before you get there. The Hiawassee Inn is a very helpful place and a nice place to get a room. I did a mail drop at the NOC my last hike easy and you walk right through the place. Again a nice place to get a room or bunk. The hike down and out of there is kinda tuff so give your self a little bit more time.

just stick your thumb out. folks have been doing it for years. no cell needed

tagg
12-28-2009, 11:22
STICK, get in touch with me when you have your dates firmed up. I may be able to meet you somewhere in NC to fix you up with a resupply so you don't have to leave the trail, and maybe even hike with you for a couple of days. It will just depend on my schedule - my section hike will be in April this year.
Regarding your plans for days 3 and 4: I did Cheese Factory to Plumorchard Shelter in one day, about 17.5 miles, and although I was tired, it wasn't too bad. It would take 4.5 miles off of day 4, and instead of camping at Deep Gap, you could make the climb up Standing Indian Mt (about 2.5 miles) where there is a very nice spot on the summit. Some tiring climbs out of GA into NC, though...