PDA

View Full Version : Steripen

HumanBN
12-28-2009, 00:45
Ok, I think I posted something about this 4-5 months ago but I want to see if anyone has anything new to say before I order one of these. Tell me anything you can about the Steripen. If you haven't used it please don't tell me about what you've read. I've probably read it too. Tell me about your experiences. Thanks a bunch, folks.

Cookerhiker
12-28-2009, 00:54
Haven't had mine for too long, but I've used it on two backpacks this past Fall - a 3 nighter on the Black Forest Trail (PA) and a 2 nighter in the Smokies. Worked well - no problems i.e. didn't get any waterborne illnesses.:)

The time it takes is inconsistent - not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

HumanBN
12-28-2009, 01:07
[QUOTE=

The time it takes is inconsistent - not sure if I'm doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Different amount of time for varying water sources?

Hoop
12-28-2009, 08:41
There are two options for the time cycle depending on the amount of water you're treating.

Many Walks
12-28-2009, 11:47
We used a Steripen Classic on our thru with no problems, continue to take it on our hikes and we'll take it on our PCT thru. We carry Aqua Mira as a backup just in case, but so far we really like our Steripen. The best part is being able to drink right away.

Gumbi
12-28-2009, 12:03
Never used one, but listen to what I have to say.

Word is that Steripen is working on an LED version, which will mean batteries will last several times longer, and the UV bulb will be far stronger/less likely to break, and will never need replacement.

I am hoping to get an LED version if the prices are not too much more than the regular version.

HumanBN
12-28-2009, 12:05
Never used one, but listen to what I have to say.

Word is that Steripen is working on an LED version, which will mean batteries will last several times longer, and the UV bulb will be far stronger/less likely to break, and will never need replacement.

I am hoping to get an LED version if the prices are not too much more than the regular version.

I take it that the LED version is a newer one? Where can I find one of those?

Shutterbug
12-28-2009, 12:31
Ok, I think I posted something about this 4-5 months ago but I want to see if anyone has anything new to say before I order one of these. Tell me anything you can about the Steripen. If you haven't used it please don't tell me about what you've read. I've probably read it too. Tell me about your experiences. Thanks a bunch, folks.

I have been using one for three years. The only problems I have had are:

1. Eats a lot of batteries. (I buy them in bulk on the internet to reduce the cost.)

2. Operator error. It seems that I have to refresh myself on the instructions from time to time.

I always carry an extra handkerchief to strain the water when I fill my water bottle. The Steri-pen kills the germs, but doesn't remove the little bits of solid matter in the water.

It has been my experience that those who wait for the new and improved version are always waiting. There is always a new and improved version in development. I am an "early adopter."

Spokes
12-28-2009, 13:17
I heard a lot of thru's complaining of errors and low battery life issues with their Steripens this year. Most were disappointed with customer service reps who always gave a "canned" tech response telling people they had to be using the wrong type of batteries. After arguing with them they finally got a replacement unit sent out.

Birdman told me a Steripen rep told him to spit in the water so the probe would pick up the proper electrolyte balance before it would work. I fell out laughing.......then dropped some AquaMira in my water and started hiking again..............

Wheeler
12-28-2009, 13:36
I used one on my PCT thru last summer. It worked fine except for the battery issue. It does use a lot of batteries, and seems to use them faster and faster? Mine uses the harder to find and more expensive cr-123's. They can be very expensive in some places. Like others, I brought some aquamira for backup.After the desert, I used my own judgement and often didn't treat the water. That obviously lengthened battery life. I would use it again. Just be prepared to burn up a lot of batteries. That seemed to be everyone elses complaint,too. YMMV

Summit
12-28-2009, 13:49
Been using the "Classic" for over three years. It uses 4-AA batteries, which are easy to find. Can't speak to the newer models that use the CR-type battery. I get about a month out of 4-AA Lithium batteries - what's not to like about that?

Press the activating button once for a liter of water - about 90 seconds of UV treatment. Press it twice for 1/2 liter - about 45 seconds. Time is consistent doing this.

I'd recommend the "Classic" due to the type of batteries - easy to find, and they can often be found at steeply discounted prices.

My three-year-old one performed flawlessly (not a single misfire) this past October on a week-long hike, where I shared it with a hiking partner (so effect was two weeks of use). It's probably got the equivalent of 4 months of continuous use on it.

All I can say is I love mine and consider it a great investment.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 14:00
Been using the "Classic" for over three years. It uses 4-AA batteries, which are easy to find. Can't speak to the newer models that use the CR-type battery. I get about a month out of 4-AA Lithium batteries - what's not to like about that?

Press the activating button once for a liter of water - about 90 seconds of UV treatment. Press it twice for 1/2 liter - about 45 seconds. Time is consistent doing this.

I'd recommend the "Classic" due to the type of batteries - easy to find, and they can often be found at steeply discounted prices.

My three-year-old one performed flawlessly (not a single misfire) this past October on a week-long hike, where I shared it with a hiking partner (so effect was two weeks of use). It's probably got the equivalent of 4 months of continuous use on it.

Ditto on everything in this post.

The AA Lithium batteries last a LONG time. I get confused when others complain about battery life. The lithiums are a MUST in cold weather.

Chomp09
12-28-2009, 14:08
I used a steripen (cr-123 battery version) on my recent southbound thru. For the first few months it worked great and I really enjoyed having imediate access to cold, natural tasting water.

As the temperatures began to drop the issue of short battery life became even more significant. One set of batteries was often only lasting a few days, even though I kept it in my sleeping bag at night to keep them warm.

Eventually we gave up on it, like most others who've posted, and bought aqua mira for the remainder of our trip. We had to wait a little while before drinking I noticed the chlorine taste in the water, but it was much less of a headache than the steri at that point.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 14:26
Are the folks that use the cr-123 batteries using NON-lithiums?

I don't even know if the cr-123 batteries exist in both lithium and non-lithium.

Morning Glory
12-28-2009, 14:47
I have a steripen and it works great as long as the water source is something better than a mud hole or a very small stream (which is sometimes your only options during the southern drought seasons). Also you run into problems getting small particles out of my water. I've attempted to pre-filter through my bandanna, but that takes a ridiculous amount of time. The big plus to the Steripen is it's size compared to a filter. It just has some limits. It takes the same amount of time to filter as it does to Steripen...so the Steripen doesn't really save you any time.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 15:05
Also you run into problems getting small particles out of my water. I've attempted to pre-filter through my bandanna, but that takes a ridiculous amount of time.
I got a solution for ya......

I carry a 4L Platypus Water Tank (anything like it would work) as my "dirty water" carrier. I generally only use it at camp.

If the water during the day has a lot of "floaties" I fill up the Tank with the dirty water. THEN put the bandanna over the opening of the Tank and pour into my 32-oz Gatorade bottle (anything you normally use with your Steripen). Then treat as normal.

The water will flow VERY quickly in this way and save you TONS of time under "floaty conditions".

Hope that helped......

HumanBN
12-28-2009, 15:15
Wow, thanks for all the input folks. Suppose I'll end up going for an older version with AA batteries. You've all been a great help. Thanks again.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 15:38
Wow, thanks for all the input folks. Suppose I'll end up going for an older version with AA batteries. You've all been a great help. Thanks again.
I'm not saying the Adventurer is a bad model. I just have experience with the Classic. But PLEASE, get the lithium batteries, especially for cooler temps no matter what you get.

Mags
12-28-2009, 15:44
If you decide to go with the CR batteries model, be sure to have some in your bounce box. You can probably find them in larger towns with a little hunting, but it may be a PITA. Needless to say, smaller towns will probably not have them:

Besides, you can buy in bulk cheaper:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=M0L&resnum=0&q=cr123%20batteries&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

(On a personal note, I don't like using anything that takes batteries I can't find in Anytown, USA. But, that's just me. Others have a different take that is equally valid)

YoungMoose
12-28-2009, 16:07
We used a Steripen Classic on our thru with no problems, continue to take it on our hikes and we'll take it on our PCT thru. We carry Aqua Mira as a backup just in case, but so far we really like our Steripen. The best part is being able to drink right away.
Agreee i carry aqua mira but i dont think i will have to use it. I have had mine for about a year now. I have the steripen journey one. So i does the time automatically. I would get the filter with it or u can just use a bandana with it. So far i have nothing bad to say about it

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 16:35
I carry Micropur tablets as a backup instead of Aquamira.

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 18:11
I have a steripen and it works great as long as the water source is something better than a mud hole or a very small stream (which is sometimes your only options during the southern drought seasons). Also you run into problems getting small particles out of my water. I've attempted to pre-filter through my bandanna, but that takes a ridiculous amount of time. The big plus to the Steripen is it's size compared to a filter. It just has some limits. It takes the same amount of time to filter as it does to Steripen...so the Steripen doesn't really save you any time.
If floaties bother you, use a piece of nylon stocking.
love my steripen

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:01
If floaties bother you, use a piece of nylon stocking.
love my steripen
Not all dudes have extra stockings with them. . . . :-?

Gumbi
12-29-2009, 11:49
not All Dudes Have Extra Stockings With Them. . . . :-?
Real Men Do...

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 11:51
real Men Do...
:d. . . . . . . .

Hyway
12-29-2009, 12:17
I was going to post that I love my steripen (won it in a pack at traildays) and that my only complaint is that its hard to fill a water bottle from minor water sources unless you have a small cup to scoop with. But I didn't get to post any of that because I was laughing to hard at the post about not all men having extra stockings with them.

flemdawg1
12-29-2009, 13:40
Real Men Do...

but my fishnets won't catch the floaties. ;)

I also have a Steripen Classic and love it. Only time I've had trouble was when the contactors were wet (twice out of nearly 100 uses). I let it dry about half hour then it was fine.

Summit
12-29-2009, 14:20
but my fishnets won't catch the floaties. ;)

I also have a Steripen Classic and love it. Only time I've had trouble was when the contactors were wet (twice out of nearly 100 uses). I let it dry about half hour then it was fine.Rather than wait, stash a single sheet of TP in the Steripen top. Slips between the contacts and body nicely and drys them off instantly!

AzWildflower
12-29-2009, 15:56
I use a small square of no-see-um, 8" square, to filter the floaties.

Now that I no longer spend 8 in a cube, I have no need for panty hose :banana

NorseWoman
12-29-2009, 19:11
Steripen classic here
yes for Lithium batteries I prefilter with bandana-not so hard I do carry Aqua Mira backup
I always do it twice with mixing between- cap on
I have done my own bacteria counts and Once is very good- very little growth
twice is very very good- almost no growth I used a heavy inoculation- heavier than you would find in most streams
Norse Woman

crux
12-30-2009, 01:40
Did a SOBO last year and came across several people not filtering water please watch this video.

Why Filter Water ? (http://www.youtube.com/peaksurvival#p/u/19/RaZGRvyIRdE)

Maddog
12-30-2009, 05:12
I carry Micropur tablets as a backup instead of Aquamira.

same here! steripen with micropur for back-up!

Christus Cowboy
12-30-2009, 13:31

I agree with Summit on this one after using his Steripen Classic in the Nantahala Forest under winter conditions. It worked alot better than my MSR filter especially in the freezing conditions and snow we encountered that first week in April.

jombo22
12-30-2009, 21:35
My adventurer uses CR123's which are pretty light (.5oz each, 1oz per set). I suppose you could buy in bulk, keep a few sets with you and put the rest in your bounce box.

I used a steripen (cr-123 battery version) on my recent southbound thru. For the first few months it worked great and I really enjoyed having imediate access to cold, natural tasting water.

As the temperatures began to drop the issue of short battery life became even more significant. One set of batteries was often only lasting a few days, even though I kept it in my sleeping bag at night to keep them warm.

Eventually we gave up on it, like most others who've posted, and bought aqua mira for the remainder of our trip. We had to wait a little while before drinking I noticed the chlorine taste in the water, but it was much less of a headache than the steri at that point.

Did you remove the batteries from the steripen when it was not in use? Maybe the "ambient battery drain" from leaving the batteries connected is amplified in colder temperatures.

I keep my batteries in a pocket (in a ziplock) while hiking in cold weather, and then of course keep them in my sleeping bag at night. However, I haven't used my steripen continuously over a long enough period of time in cold conditions to be able to refute or corroborate your experience.

"A few days" of battery life is miserable. The website claims 50L per set of batteries, or 50 uses at 1L a pop. So you "should" need to replace them once every 1.5 weeks or so, which would sort of be a drag on a thru anyways.

same here! steripen with micropur for back-up!

I also use a steripen with micropur for backup. Works great for my shorter trips, but now I'm concerned about battery life.

Connie
12-30-2009, 22:16
The LED model sounds interesting.

This (http://www.uvaquastar.com/standard.aspx?elid=205) brand has rechargeable LiIon CR123A batteries offered.

It is the mÜV micro-UV water purifier available either as a floating model that recharges off any battery, or, as a water bottle model apparently using the CR123A LiIon batteries and charger that appears to be 110 VAC and 12 VDC.

If you like the SteriPen better, maybe get the rechargeable LiIon batteries and charger.

LiIon batteries withstand cold better than other batteries, and recharge faster.

leaftye
01-01-2010, 03:12
I hope that LED model uses AA batteries.

Wags
01-01-2010, 12:14
as you've probably read there's a bunch of people (on review type websites) who complain that it doesn't work. this is 99% due to the little metal prongs being wet prior to purifying. i carry a little 1"x1" square of shamwow and keep it right with my steripen case. this allows me to treat multiple liters at a time without having to wait for it to dry out.

mine's been working well for over a year now. if shallow springs are really a concern, you can always modify some sort of water scoop out of an empty bottle. i've gotten really productive use out of a set of batteries as well.

i really like mine a lot and feel my water set up is one area i'm really happy with in my kit

ChinMusic
01-01-2010, 12:51
as you've probably read there's a bunch of people (on review type websites) who complain that it doesn't work. this is 99% due to the little metal prongs being wet prior to purifying. i carry a little 1"x1" square of shamwow and keep it right with my steripen case. this allows me to treat multiple liters at a time without having to wait for it to dry out.
I dry the prongs on my shirt tail before resheathing it, works so far. But you are right. Especially with older models, if the prongs are wet the unit may not initiate. I have had not problems with multiple uses at one sitting.

if shallow springs are really a concern, you can always modify some sort of water scoop out of an empty bottle.

Even if you use chemicals it is a good idea to bring a small scoop if you suspect the water sources to be shallow. I usually steal one from our laundry room that is a detergent box. I don't like the idea of using anything from my cookset, but that is just me.