PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is over

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 11:42
Well it's over. For the last seven days we've had between 10 and 12 house guests. My wife, my daughter and even (blush, blush) me are crazy good cooks. Every nite for the last seven days we have had a feast for dinner: roasted turkey, glazed spiral ham, standing rib roasts, smoked brisket etc.....all the trimmings. For lunches we've had left overs cooked in marvelous ways, fajita's, hot sammiches......One breakfast we had cerial the rest was quadrupal bypass specials, eggs, hash, waffles, sausage gravy, maple bacon...
Lots of laughter, games, a drink or two, sledding with the grandkids, a Wii bowling tournament, Christmas eve service at our church.....
I feel like I don't have to eat again for a week. Back to a life of health and fitness. Back to a little peace and quiet, no more little girls busting into the bedroom at 6am saying I'm hungry. (sigh)
Oh well, there is always next year.
Hope you all had a great Christmas season
Sheepdog

Ron Haven
12-28-2009, 12:09
Yes my friend but now you have to put up with the New Years Crowd.

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 12:13
Yes my friend but now you have to put up with the New Years Crowd.
sweet!!!!

Reid
12-28-2009, 12:25
It comes quick and it leaves even quicker. I'm taking down the hords of Christmas stuff at my mother's house this week too. There's a saying that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the more you roll out the quicker it goes and I think this Christmas and holiday season got me on that one.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2009, 12:59
x-mas never started for me :)

Hooch
12-28-2009, 13:01
Scrooge.......
http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/christmas-carol/1971-toon-humbug-scrooge.jpg
:rolleyes::p

Tuckahoe
12-28-2009, 13:36
Ummm I always thought that Christmas ended January 6 (unless you are Greek or Russian Orth and then Christmas starts on the 6th)

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 14:49
Maybe your shoes are too tight.

SurferNerd
12-28-2009, 15:05
I don't even own a Christmas tree, and I got through the season without purchasing ONE item to give someone. So glad I'm not a consumerist.

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 15:11
I don't even own a Christmas tree, and I got through the season without purchasing ONE item to give someone. So glad I'm not a consumerist.
hope you had a good Christmas anyway

SurferNerd
12-28-2009, 15:21
I absolutely did, thank you for caring. I spent time with my family, with my fiance's family, and eating scrumptious southern cooking. We believe in more to Christmas than buying gifts. I did set up the tree at my parents house, so I indirectly had one. :)

sheepdog
12-28-2009, 15:24
I absolutely did, thank you for caring. I spent time with my family, with my fiance's family, and eating scrumptious southern cooking. We believe in more to Christmas than buying gifts. I did set up the tree at my parents house, so I indirectly had one. :)
awesome
that's why I didn't mention gifts in my post
Christmas is much more than that

paintplongo
12-29-2009, 20:00

This sounds extremely selfish...

I give far more then I receive and I only give what people need, which is an appropriate time to gift something.

Rockhound
12-29-2009, 20:08
good for you. Christmas trees are a horrible tradition. I just want to cry every time I see one strapped to the top of a car.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 20:18

I give far more then I receive and I only give what people need, which is an appropriate time to gift something.

i give a ****load every day. but it ain't stuff or cash

weary
12-29-2009, 20:55
Well, my wife and I have fed big groups three times this Christmas. Mostly kids, spouses, grandkids and significant others. I think the big oak extension table I bought for $4 at a Sportsman's Association auction 49 years ago, seated 13 the first night, nine the second and 14 the third.

We are still debating whether to invite them all back for a New Years Day dinner. New Years Eve we are reserving for ourselves.

I did cut a Christmas Tree. Aside from yule festivities, the tree farm provides and annual check of my lungs that were seriously damaged by a heart medicine I was told would keep me well.

Good news. I made it up a steep hill dragging a 7-foot fir tree a bit easier than last year. But these things are relative. Last year I was wading through a foot of snow. This year there were only a few inches.

I used to harvest my trees on a more accessible woodlot that I owned. But I had to sell that to pay bills and to eliminate the mortgage on a house I had built for a son.

Extra good news. Half the wood lot I sold is being donated back to my town trust. The town land trust lands are where I spend most of the time these days, building and maintaining trails, except when I'm raising money for the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org

Manwich
12-29-2009, 21:00

Still using the Julian Calendar?

sheepdog
12-29-2009, 21:17
Well, my wife and I have fed big groups three times this Christmas. Mostly kids, spouses, grandkids and significant others. I think the big oak extension table I bought for $4 at a Sportsman's Association auction 49 years ago, seated 13 the first night, nine the second and 14 the third.

We are still debating whether to invite them all back for a New Years Day dinner. New Years Eve we are reserving for ourselves.

I did cut a Christmas Tree. Aside from yule festivities, the tree farm provides and annual check of my lungs that were seriously damaged by a heart medicine I was told would keep me well.

Good news. I made it up a steep hill dragging a 7-foot fir tree a bit easier than last year. But these things are relative. Last year I was wading through a foot of snow. This year there were only a few inches.

I used to harvest my trees on a more accessible woodlot that I owned. But I had to sell that to pay bills and to eliminate the mortgage on a house I had built for a son.

Extra good news. Half the wood lot I sold is being donated back to my town trust. The town land trust lands are where I spend most of the time these days, building and maintaining trails, except when I'm raising money for the Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)
sounds pretty cool weary

sheepdog
12-29-2009, 21:18
Still using the Julian Calendar?
lonewolf works off the gilligan calendar

SurferNerd
12-30-2009, 19:02

Did I happen to mention I didn't receive one gift either. Selfishness is a harsh word to call someone who doesn't believe in consumerism. It's more like my money is better spent bettering society and traveling the world, than to waste it on a cool sweater vest for my cousin.

Consumerism is selfish my friend. Instead of spending those $26 Billion this Christmas on mostly wasteful gifts, they could have helped end world hunger, dying children, disease, the poverish, among other causes. So think about that one before you go calling a treehugger selfish.. :banana

weary
12-30-2009, 21:33
Did I happen to mention I didn't receive one gift either. Selfishness is a harsh word to call someone who doesn't believe in consumerism. It's more like my money is better spent bettering society and traveling the world, than to waste it on a cool sweater vest for my cousin.

Consumerism is selfish my friend. Instead of spending those $26 Billion this Christmas on mostly wasteful gifts, they could have helped end world hunger, dying children, disease, the poverish, among other causes. So think about that one before you go calling a treehugger selfish.. :banana

Not only that, but one could donate money not devoted to consumerism to protect something that would be permanent -- like the Appalachian Trail in Maine. My Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is struggling, as we write, to protect the remaining wildness surrounding the Sugarloaf and Saddleback mountains and other high peaks between the Mahoosuc and the Bigelow Preserves.

As I approach my final decades -- well final months, anyway -- of my life, I'm most proud of having helped protect Abraham, that had been one of the great totally unprotected mountains east of the Rockies.

Though many thru hikers have come to think of the Maine trail as the wildest of the entire 2,176 mile footpath, the AT in Maine is truly threatened. Most of the land surrounding a narrow AT corridor has been sold to developers.

MATLT is trying desperately to buy back the areas most important to the trail. Some help from the trail community is important. If nothing else it gives us credibility. When big donors ask why they should support our project, rather than the millions of other pleas for funds, it would be nice to be able to say that the users of the trail appreciate what we are doing.

Weary www.matlt.org

weary
12-30-2009, 22:17

Not only that, but one could donate money not devoted to consumerism to protect something that would be permanent -- like the Appalachian Trail in Maine. My Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is struggling, as we write, to protect the remaining wildness surrounding the Sugarloaf and Saddleback mountains and other high peaks between the Mahoosuc and the Bigelow Preserves.

As I approach the final decades -- well final months, anyway -- of my life, I'm most proud of having helped protect Abraham, that had been one of the great totally unprotected mountains east of the Rockies.

Though many thru hikers have come to think of the Maine trail as the wildest of the entire 2,176 mile footpath, the AT in Maine is truly threatened. Most of the land surrounding a narrow AT corridor has been sold to developers.

MATLT is trying desperately to buy back the areas most important to the trail. Some help from the trail community is important. If nothing else it gives us credibility. When big donors ask why they should support our project, rather than the millions of other pleas for funds, it would be nice to be able to say that the users of the trail appreciate what we are doing.

Weary

sheepdog
12-31-2009, 18:52

As I approach my final decades -- well final months, anyway -- of my life, I'm most proud of having helped protect Abraham, that had been one of the great totally unprotected mountains east of the Rockies.

Weary www.matlt.org (http://www.matlt.org)

As I approach the final decades -- well final months, anyway -- of my life, I'm most proud of having helped protect Abraham, that had been one of the great totally unprotected mountains east of the Rockies.

Weary
you're starting to repeat yourself :D

cowboy nichols
12-31-2009, 19:28
bless you all and have a very Happy New Year.

weary
12-31-2009, 20:52
..... Christmas trees are a horrible tradition. I just want to cry every time I see one strapped to the top of a car.
Why? Christmas trees used to be mostly harvested from the wild, allegedly devatating a natural forest. That ended decades ago. 99.99 % are now raised on abandoned farm fields -- the last crop of a century or more of continuous crops. A few marginal entrepeneurs, eke out a living on fields that if they hadn't purchased or leased to them, would now be candidates for condominium clusters or other development.

I really don't want to debate the whole array of development, vs, preservation. But for the moment, at least, I think of Xmas tree farms as a last ditch stand against environmental disaster.

At least, that's part of why I hiked to the bottom of a steep huillside a few days ago with a 5-year-old grandson, cut a tree down that he helped select, and then dragged it to the top of the hill.

Five-years-ago no one announced that grandons's arrival. But he gradually became engrained into our consciousness. I think engraining him with the concept of cutting a Christmas Tree with a parent and grandparents was a valuable experience for him, and could possibly be for the world.

Weary