PDA

View Full Version : YOUR Must-Have winter gear?

Bigglesworth
12-28-2009, 12:16
I'm getting more into winter backpacking (and snowshoeing) - but not big-time mountaineering. I live in the northeast and spend much of my outdoor time in the winter in NY and Southern VT. With that in mind, please tell me your "must-have" winter gear - anything from clothing to what you carry in your pack. Thanks!

Wags
12-28-2009, 12:20
patagonia r1 balaclava

WinterWarlock
12-28-2009, 12:27
MicroSpikes! Gotta have them for those in between conditions....much better than the Stabilicers I used to use.

Might also be obvious, but I also have a Drysak in my pack with spare clothes - I tend to sweat a lot and will generally change my base layer sometime during the hike. In the Drysak is an extra base layer shirt, extra gloves, hat and socks. I have another stuff sack with my balaclava, facemask and ski goggles for nasty days...

Last, and very important thing...fluids. For me, it's easier to get dehydrated in winter than in summer...

Reid
12-28-2009, 12:28
a 4inch blade and a vapor barrier top

Doctari
12-28-2009, 13:45
DRY CLOTHING!!

Just in case, I carry a few packs of air activated chemical toe warmers. They are enough to get ME from shivering, to entirely too hot in a few minutes.

DRY CLOTHING!!

I second the spikes (Or instep crampons) for the in between times.

DRY CLOTHING!!

Food: Olive oil = high calorie, slow to digest, good energy source. High fat / High calorie foods. Lots of snacks, eat small amounts a lot of times a day.

DRY CLOTHING!!

Wrist warmers or long fingerless gloves to fill the gap between gloves & coat sleeve.

And, in case I left this out: DRY CLOTHING!! :D

bulldog49
12-28-2009, 14:36
Western Mountaineering Antelope sleeping bag. Everything else is optional.

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 14:55
Montbell U.L. SS.Down Hugger #0 sleeping bag. Everything else is optional.:D

SurferNerd
12-28-2009, 15:03
Carhartt Balaclava, Marmot Zeus Jacket. Definitely my only two needed pieces.

WinterWarlock
12-28-2009, 15:09
I kinda wonder what the "down sleeping bag only" folks do when they get wet? :-?

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 15:11
I kinda wonder what the "down sleeping bag only" folks do when they get wet? :-?
I sometimes get wet but my bag never does.

SurferNerd
12-28-2009, 15:11
Personally my down bag, I've actually wrapped it in a yard trash bag to keep it dry when its a wet weekend.

Alligator
12-28-2009, 15:24
Some form of wind-blocker fleece hat, gloves, and a balaclava. I have a spare pair of mitts as well. Must have a complete set of durable rain gear.

Mags
12-28-2009, 15:31
I love balaclavas. Very versatile. Roll it up for a light hat, roll it down for a neck warmer, roll it over the ears for a headband to wear with a ball cap (cold ears are not fun), wear it all the way for fuller face and neck protection.

I use an exp wt polypro one and it is one of the few items in both my day hiking, backpacking and winter kits.

Very similar to this one:

http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rc5510&Category_Code=military-knit-caps-face-masks&Store_Code=army-navy-shop

Great photo from wikipedia showing the different uses:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp g/250px-20070102_per_erik_strandberg_balaclava_arranged.jp g

The only other item I wear the whole year are the military wool glove liners. Cheap, fairly durable, warm when damp, and light:

http://www.workinggear.com/gc/catalog/Rothco-Wool-Glove-Liners-8418-cat762.html?ROITrakid=8530

Finally, written for day use, but this Intro to Snowshoeing Basics article may be helpful:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/intro-to-snowshoeing.html

(Also has a link to a Winter backpacking article I need to update. :o)

Lyle
12-28-2009, 16:50
Good bag, Montbell SS UL #0

Extra insulating pad

Down Booties!!!!

Toolshed
12-28-2009, 16:55
Smart Down people don't get wet...Ever....VBL!!!

WinterWarlock
12-28-2009, 17:21

Not sure where everyone else is from, but in the Adirondacks, staying dry is hard work. Wet snow rules the day...it can be done, but you need waterproof stuff sacks, bivy's and/or VBL's.

Toolshed
12-28-2009, 17:23
This is my normal Winter High Peaks climbing Gear list:
Grivel G-10s or Newmatics
Fleece Balaclava Plus Windblock Hat
Goggles & perhaps Gorilla mask for above Treeline travel
Polypro liners, Fleece Mitts and nylon shell overmitts with strings attached
Base Layer Upper and Lower
Mid Layer upper and Lower (Packed)
Heavy weight layer Upper and lower (Packed for overnights)
Nylon shell (goretex is fine but uncoated nylon works even better in bitter cold temps)
Pac boots with removable liners OR Koflach or Scarpa Plastic Double Boots
Extra Heavyweight wool socks
Ice axe for above treeline travel and breaking through feet of ice to get water from streams (quicker than melting snow)
Petzl Arctic (Battery always stays warm)
Quick Energy food (hard candy and hi carb items)
Longer lasting food (granola, snickers, power bars)
Long lasting food (High Fats & Proteins with Carbs mixed in - Pasta, Bacon, Butter, Steak, Stew....)
minus 25d Down Bag W/VBL
VBL Sock Liners
8x25, 9x30 or 9x36 snowshoes depending on trail conditions and snowpack
Trecking poles
Yukon jack and Cherry Jello
2 Qt Vacuum Stainless Steel Thermos
OR Water Bottle Parkas and Lexan bottles
Thermarest full length
5/8" Full length Ridge Rest (or other foam pad)
Avalanche shovel (used for larger parties)
Snow Stakes painted Bright Orange or Bright Red with 12-18" rope attached to each.
OR Crocs
Lip balm, Sunblock, sunglasses
4 Season tent (Kelty Windfoil or Eureka Alpenlite)
Whisperlite Int'l Stove
22 Oz plus Extra 22 Oz Fuel bottle - (Filled with Gasoline, which lights easier than white gas in sub-zero weather)

ChinMusic
12-28-2009, 17:26
Not sure where everyone else is from, but in the Adirondacks, staying dry is hard work. Wet snow rules the day...it can be done, but you need waterproof stuff sacks, bivy's and/or VBL's.
Waterproof stuff sacks: Never leave home without em, even in summer.

WinterWarlock
12-28-2009, 17:32
This is my normal Winter High Peaks climbing Gear list:
Grivel G-10s or Newmatics
Fleece Balaclava Plus Windblock Hat
Goggles & perhaps Gorilla mask for above Treeline travel
Polypro liners, Fleece Mitts and nylon shell overmitts with strings attached
Base Layer Upper and Lower
Mid Layer upper and Lower (Packed)
Heavy weight layer Upper and lower (Packed for overnights)
Nylon shell (goretex is fine but uncoated nylon works even better in bitter cold temps)
Pac boots with removable liners OR Koflach or Scarpa Plastic Double Boots
Extra Heavyweight wool socks
Ice axe for above treeline travel and breaking through feet of ice to get water from streams (quicker than melting snow)
Petzl Arctic (Battery always stays warm)
Quick Energy food (hard candy and hi carb items)
Longer lasting food (granola, snickers, power bars)
Long lasting food (High Fats & Proteins with Carbs mixed in - Pasta, Bacon, Butter, Steak, Stew....)
minus 25d Down Bag W/VBL
VBL Sock Liners
8x25, 9x30 or 9x36 snowshoes depending on trail conditions and snowpack
Trecking poles
Yukon jack and Cherry Jello
2 Qt Vacuum Stainless Steel Thermos
OP Water Bottle Parkas and Lexan bottles
Thermarest full length
5/8" Full length Ridge Rest (or other foam pad)
Avalanche shovel (used for larger parties)
Snow Stakes painted Bright Orange or Bright Red with 12-18" rope attached to each.
OR Crocs
Lip balm, Sunblock, sunglasses
4 Season tent (Kelty Windfoil or Eureka Alpenlite)
Whisperlite Int'l Stove
22 Oz plus Extra 22 Oz Fuel bottle - (Filled with Gasoline, which lights easier than white gas in sub-zero weather)

Looks a lot like mine!! Are you an ADK hiker?

Toolshed
12-28-2009, 17:34
I am!!!! I am a 46er and have about 32 left for my winter round :sun

Jim Adams
12-28-2009, 22:38
Very true!
Wet snow, dry snow, rain, doesn't matter. As long as I don't soak my bag with sweat or condensation it STAYS dry.

geek

Jim Adams
12-28-2009, 22:39
Gear?
Jack Danials, everything else is optional.

geek

jcramin
12-30-2009, 09:49
a 4inch blade and a vapor barrier top

I will now be using a fixed blade SOG Seal Pup with nylon sheath that I got for Christmas this year.
http://sogknives.com/store/M37.html
Blade Length 4.75" x .16"
Overall Length 9"
Weight 5.4 oz.

J

Just Jeff
12-30-2009, 11:25
My hammock, of course! Current setup is a Warbonnet Blackbird, Winter Yeti, JRB Mt Washington 4 + hood on top, and JRB 10' x 11' Cat Tarp. (I say current but I haven't taken the Yeti yet b/c it was a Christmas present...just before Christmas my 10 y/o and I camped at -2 F and I was in a similar setup, though. Thinking about heading out tonight with the Yeti.)

Other than that, my Nalgene soft-sided bladder so I can put hot water in it and sleep with it.

And of course the normal clothing, knife, etc. But mostly my hammock. :D

Bigglesworth
12-30-2009, 13:52

Thanks for the tips and the links, everyone. Keep suggestions coming!

All you ADK folks, feel free to PM me; I'm new to the area and I'm always looking for hiking partners/trip ideas! I know the AT and LT in this area, and that's about it!

A couple more follow-ups:
-Do I need to go with goggles (always, above tree line, sometimes, personal preference...), and if so, any recommendations?
-Any additional suggestions on glove/mitten configuration/brand?
-Suggestions on boot styles/types for snowshoes? The other 3 seasons I swear by lightweight trail runners. The boots I currently have are borderline for keeping me warm and dry enough.

Thanks!

wakapak
12-30-2009, 13:55
Gear?
Jack Danials, everything else is optional.

geek

Keeps ya warm, especially when you snort it, huh Geek?? :p

Bigglesworth
12-30-2009, 13:57
Personally my down bag, I've actually wrapped it in a yard trash bag to keep it dry when its a wet weekend.

Just a thought back to you if you haven't tried it - consider a trash compactor bag. They keep things dry and are very durable, much more so than the typical trashbag. :)

Bigglesworth
12-30-2009, 14:00
Keeps ya warm, especially when you snort it, huh Geek?? :p

Oh dear Wak! I'm sticking to more traditional ways of ingesting booze. Hope you guys are well! Come on, don't you have any winter tips for me; even you guys are getting snow!

Toolshed
12-30-2009, 14:36
Thanks for the tips and the links, everyone. Keep suggestions coming!

All you ADK folks, feel free to PM me; I'm new to the area and I'm always looking for hiking partners/trip ideas! I know the AT and LT in this area, and that's about it!

A couple more follow-ups:
-Do I need to go with goggles (always, above tree line, sometimes, personal preference...), and if so, any recommendations?
-Any additional suggestions on glove/mitten configuration/brand?
-Suggestions on boot styles/types for snowshoes? The other 3 seasons I swear by lightweight trail runners. The boots I currently have are borderline for keeping me warm and dry enough.

Thanks!
B-Worth, Check out your closest (or even the albany) ADK Chapter. they usually always have numerous group and overnight hikes.
As for gloves, I prefer 3 different layers. a very lightweight polypro set for dexterity around camp, Heavy fleece mitts for warmth and then an OR goretex shell overmitt for wind and water protection.

As for boots I have gone bacjk and forth between plastic double boots and Sorel Pac Boots. Sorel pac boots are sloppier on my feet, but then again don't turn my feet to hamburger after a weekend. Plus they are much cheaper ($80 vs $390). though the new plastic boot liners are heat moldable to your feet and as I understand are leaps and bounds ahead of the old liners. I always had problems keeping my sherpas on my plastic boots, the pac boots hold them much better, however, it doesn't seem to make a difference on my Atlas 12 Series. They grip any boot well.

Mags
12-30-2009, 15:29
I use the famous Sorel Caribous as well. Word on the Internet is that since Columbia bought Sorel and started making the shoes in China vs. Canada, the quality has slipped dramatically. Just an FYI.

Anyway, my current pair of Sorels are all beat up after many years of use/abuse. Like others, I find them big and clunky and think it is time to replace them with something else once this season ends. These shoes were mentioned by other people previously...But I think my next pair of heavy duty winter shoes are going to be NEOS Navigator 5s. (http://www.campmor.com/n-e-o-s-navigator-5-overshoes-1.shtml?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=44908) The reviews are glowing.

They offer more a versatile solution and can work with my trail runners, hiking boots and winter shoes (http://www.endless.com/dp/B001XUSAWQ/ref=asc_df_B001XUSAWQ996298?tag=googlecom09c9_endl ess-20&creative=380333&linkCode=asn&creativeASIN=B001XUSAWQ) I use for around town/light hiking/ day snowshoes depending upon the situation/coldness.

Just another option anyway. Some people are big about the Mickey Pac boots (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Used-Genuine-US-Military-Mickey-Boots.aspx?a=504927&kwtid=294930) as well. They are even bigger and more clunky than the Sorels, but are legendary for their warmth.. Nice to have options, though. :)

As for goggles, I *always* carry them. But, that is just me and I suspect unless you are above treeline, Colorado is more exposed overall than the ADKs. (Less tree cover eve below treeline). If you picture yourself going above treeline, you'll definitely want them.

Like Toolshed and many other winter travelers, I use the modular system of GLOVE LINER/ MIDDLE MITTEN LAYER/ SHELL MITTEN. Very versatile and just enough warmth as each situation warrants.

I happen to use the wool liners vs. polypro in addition to a wool middle layer (Colder and dryer in Colorado, so wool works well). But that's just personal preference. Like most of the discussions, I honestly think the wool vs. synthetics comes to personal preference. As long as you do not use cotton, you should be kosher.

The OR shells seem very popular overall. Various weights, styles and prices..but they all seem to work well depending on your preference.

I don't do any technical climbing, so I tend to wear ski boots (http://home.comcast.net/%7Epinnah/DirtbagPinner/dirtbag.html) more than anything during winter in the backcountry..but that's another discussion. :) (Nordic backcountry? Tele? AT? Etc..)

Mango
12-30-2009, 16:23
I just got back from snow school in the Sierras, so my recommendations are fresh. Two more that haven't been mentioned are (1) make sure your upper base layer, and the next upper layer, are long enough to stay tucked into your pants layers. (2) A pee bottle, so you don't have to crawl out into the snow and wind in the middle of the night.

peakbagger
12-30-2009, 17:47
Insulated Water bottle carriers!. The OR ones work but, Ragged Mountain (a White Mountain Outfitter) makes (made) one out of closed cell foam that is far more effective than the OR version. If I fill them with hot water in the AM, they are still real hot at lunch.

I also carry OR expedition wwight mits and shells. They are useless for hiking with but I have saved a few fingers more than once when nothing esle would warm them up.

Raul Perez
12-30-2009, 17:52
My down jacket and Montbell Thermawrap pants for when I'm making camp. Also my Warbonnet Blackbird and JRB Mt Washington 4 underquilt (I'm also a hanger)

Sassafras Lass
09-17-2010, 11:52

I don't know - what do ducks do when they get wet?

:D

J/k - I know that much of the water repelling oil is removed from the down before making its way into my sleeping bag.

I'll of course have to try out my bag properly on the AT this coming March, but the low weight and insulating properties were what decided in mind that down was the only way to go. Next-to-nothing garbage bags in addition to a well-made stuff sack and cover from my Packa will do wonders, I hope, to keep my bag in great condition.

Llama Legs
09-17-2010, 15:50
I bring (2) half-liter nalgenes for water. At night I fill them with boiling water - stick them in my boots and cover them up - and the boots pretty much dry out by morning. Definitely never frozen...

slow
09-18-2010, 00:33
mb 0 bag has no stat ....over FF OR WM for the past 25 yrs in that temp rate,so why even bring them up.

IronGutsTommy
09-18-2010, 00:39
one thing i pack for all seasons is one or two headbands. i wear them under my hats. it keeps you from sweating up your hat, and its alot easier to wash a headband than a hat. doesnt work so well with knit caps, but i have a bucket hat thats lasted me 3 years and still looks new/doesnt smell

Sarcasm the elf
09-18-2010, 00:40
MicroSpikes! Gotta have them for those in between conditions....much better than the Stabilicers I used to use.

Second this! MicroSpikes are awesome and they're perfect for trips where heavier gear isn't required but using boots alone might be a hassle.

Wags
09-18-2010, 01:43
I bring (2) half-liter nalgenes for water. At night I fill them with boiling water - stick them in my boots and cover them up - and the boots pretty much dry out by morning. Definitely never frozen...

i like this idea. it beats putting them in the bottom of my quilt

JAK
09-18-2010, 07:02
Reminds me,
I gotta get the winter car kit put together, and keep it in the car.

For hikes,
I think about clothing first, then fire, then food, then shelter.
Clothing is wool&fleece, light windshell, rain poncho/tarp, and yes they do get wet.
Shoes are 1 or 2 of (Light Trail Runners / XCSki Boots / Light Mukluks).
For fire I like a Big Bic, and a Kelly Kettle or Hobo, and at least a knife.
Food is oats+seeds/fruit, milk+tea, hot soups. 500ml Honey for backup.
Shelter is bag,bivy,bluefoampad, and the rain poncho/tarp.

I sleep in the backyard on coldest nights, to check things out. Also like to go for a walk down onto the river on coldest nights to test clothing and hobo stoves. Don't be like me though kids, OR YOU"LL BE LIVING IN A VAN ! , DOWN BY THE RIVER !

WinterWarlock
09-18-2010, 07:29
Don't be like me though kids, OR YOU"LL BE LIVING IN A VAN ! , DOWN BY THE RIVER !

Love it - thanks for the laugh this morning!!

Tinker
09-18-2010, 07:34
A metal bottle (stainless for me) for boiling water over the ever-present campfire. I use it often as a hot water bottle for bed, and water is always available for hot drinks as long as you keep it near the fire.

JAK
09-18-2010, 08:28
They are starting to make those stainless bottes a little wider at the opening.
I keep looking for one short and wide enough to be a mug/pot as well as a flask.
Then I could bring two, and they would serve as mug, pot, and water carriers.

Full Nalgene width, but shorter like 600-700ml would be nice. Getting there.
It would be nice if the sealable lids were lighter and simpler also.