PDA

View Full Version : Oct Temps in GSMNP - what to expect?

grrickar
09-05-2004, 13:59
What is the coldest temps I can expect to encounter hiking the first two weeks in October in the GSMNP? The section is Hot Springs, NC to Fontana Dam.I checked some websites and got some temps, but I know temps vary with elevation so I'm not sure they were accurate. I'm trying to decide if I need my sleeping bag liner and extra warm clothes (I was debating NOT carring gloves, I may rethink that).

thestin
09-05-2004, 15:13
Usually a very nice time to be in the Smokies. If you are lucky, you will see sunny mild days and clear cool nights. However, there is a risk of some below freezing nights. Also, the tropical weather pattern is active right now, and there is a chance for a tropical system to bring heavy rain and gusty winds.

chris
09-07-2004, 16:23
I wouldn't expect anything much below freezing. Most nights should be in the upper 30s or low 40s on the ridgeline, with days in the 50s or even 60s. Still, prepare for hiking in cold, rainy, miserable weather, as that has happened to me on a few occasions. Generally the weather in October is less stable than that in September, but you should passing through before the real nastiness starts.

steve hiker
09-07-2004, 18:07
October is the finest month to be in the Smokies, with idea temperatures. Clear skies, fall leaves, and cool nights. Don't worry about freezing temperatures.

October is rated #1 by Jumble Jowls:jump

Deerleg
09-07-2004, 18:29
I have section hiked in October several times mostly just north of the Smokies and have had a couple of frosty nights, but never anything too cold. I can remember only 2 mornings wishing I had gloves, but I would of stowed them by mid morning…I would leave them home and just do the common sense things when in the mountains any time of year. Have fun!