PDA

View Full Version : Who has Thru-Hiked AT 5 or more times ?

Pages : [1] 2

brotheral
12-28-2009, 20:49
Hello friends. I was reading an article in my local Beckley paper, The Register Herald, about a new historical book, "Along Virginia's Appalachian Trail," produced in cooperation with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy by Leonard Adkins. It said he's among a rare breed of hikers that have 5 officially recorded thru hikes since 1936 when the trail was completed. It stated that fewer than 50 have accomplished this.
I'm wondering what members of Whiteblaze.net have 5 or more thru hikes.... :-?

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 20:50
Oh lord here it comes:rolleyes::D

Hooch
12-28-2009, 20:55
http://hazel8500.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/can-o-worms.gif

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 20:56
any hiker who posts informatin on this thread is permanently locked out of any steaks i ever cook on trail magic trips. and any vegans are locked out of my unbeliveable food bag of vegan delights and all my yogi powers forever.

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 20:59
just curious hooch. would a thread about how many times youve started and failed to finnish be so abborant? yes it would. right?

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 21:00
allow me.

its not he destination. but the hike.

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 21:01
sorry. knobs running heavy since lost job.

its the journey. not the weird crap on the summit.

better.

brotheral
12-28-2009, 21:02
I'm just curious.... I guess there's some controversy on this subject...:rolleyes:
http://hazel8500.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/can-o-worms.gif

winger
12-28-2009, 21:04
For all that is humane and just, sign off on this thread before the nuclear winter begins.

Hikerhead
12-28-2009, 21:09
I know of two others that have done more than 5....but I'm not telling. :)

mweinstone
12-28-2009, 21:10
if a ballet was written and composed and preformed for this storyline,....it would start with a big pile of what looked to the audience like baltimore jack tarlins piled high atop centre stage. in a pile of sleeping carcasses snoring wildly,.....suddenly,...they spring to life and hike off in different directions. next, enter pirate in a two two.prancing and prouncing about with magic wand in hand he turnes a chorus of common thruhikers into clean hikers with a wisp of his wrist. from the ceiling on a wire unseen, lwolf the god of the trail decends blessing and curseing the seasons hikers the chior has become. change set......

Lilred
12-28-2009, 21:27
OH MY GAWD Mathewski you just outdid yourself....LOLOL Pirate with a wand... oh Lordy!!

Nean
12-28-2009, 22:08
I know of two others that have done more than 5....but I'm not telling. :)

you see my friends, this is where the cool gets uncool :eek:

its all a big secret in which only a chosen few know :rolleyes:

don't ask :cool:

I could tell you :o

but then i would have ta kill ya :mad:

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:13
Bulldawg has hiked it 6 times including a Yo-Yo hike. . . .

Lugnut
12-28-2009, 22:17

Well, in 'The Movie' he didn't even use the approach trail so I'm not too sure any of them would count, :rolleyes:

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:23
Well, in 'The Movie' he didn't even use the approach trail so I'm not too sure any of them would count, :rolleyes:

One time I went out to see Charlies Bunion and forgot to hike back and take the AT, so I missed that .2 section on a "blue blaze", so I am thinking that doesn't count either.:-?:-?

Nean
12-28-2009, 22:26
One time I went out to see Charlies Bunion and forgot to hike back and take the AT, so I missed that .2 section on a "blue blaze", so I am thinking that doesn't count either.:-?:-?

Lets ask Jack & Warren!!! :)

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:31
Lets ask Jack & Warren!!! :)

Then there was this one time at Standing Indian Shelter where I took the southerly approach trial to the shelter and returned to the trail after lunch via the northerly approach trail to the shelter. So I missed that 50 yards of trail as well. I can't remember though if this was the same hike as the Charlie's Bunion Fiasco. If not, then I guess that one may not count either.:-?:-?

Nean
12-28-2009, 22:37
Then there was this one time at Standing Indian Shelter where I took the southerly approach trial to the shelter and returned to the trail after lunch via the northerly approach trail to the shelter. So I missed that 50 yards of trail as well. I can't remember though if this was the same hike as the Charlie's Bunion Fiasco. If not, then I guess that one may not count either.:-?:-?

So what you are really trying to say is that you have never done the trail?!?:eek::D

Lugnut
12-28-2009, 22:37
You'll just have to start over! :eek:

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:40
So what you are really trying to say is that you have never done the trail?!?:eek::D

I never said that did I? I didn't done the trail, I did done hiked it, a few times. Maybe not all the blazes though, maybe, not sure, I was counting them for a while but one night I forgot to write down that days count before I went to sleep and I lost count.:-?:rolleyes::cool:

You'll just have to start over! :eek:

No way, I'm never going back to Springer, ever.:banana:banana

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:42
I saw Bulldawg '08 carved in quite a few shelters in large block letters this past summer. . . . :mad:

Lugnut
12-28-2009, 22:48
Considering the high mileage Bulldawg does each day I doubt he would have the time for foolishnees such as that. No doubt it was Cubby trying to make him look bad.

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:49
I think they're the same person. . .

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:51
I think they're the same person. . .

I think it was this guy....

http://hikinghq.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=45

impersonating us both!!

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:52
That dude is HOT!!!!

wakapak
12-28-2009, 22:53
oh lord....:rolleyes: :eek:

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:53
I KNOW! :banana:banana

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:55
maybe it's this guy who is doing the impersonations.....

http://hikinghq.net/forum/image.php?u=4170&dateline=1259450077

wakapak
12-28-2009, 22:55
I KNOW! :banana:banana

what do you know??????? :confused:

wakapak
12-28-2009, 22:56
maybe it's this guy who is doing the impersonations.....

http://hikinghq.net/forum/image.php?u=4170&dateline=1259450077

LMAO!!!!!!!! :p

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 22:56
How cool I am? . . . :-?

wakapak
12-28-2009, 22:58

Then you dont S**T! :p :D

oh, and Chaco says ***? he's minding his own business for once...:rolleyes:

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 22:59

Put on a jacket then. I have worn the Montbell UL Down jacket on my multiple hikes.

I get like $1 from Montbell every time I say that.

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 23:26
WHy the hell you gota bring me into this. I just put a disclaimer on the thread. AND I got nasty PM! What did I do?

Bulldawg
12-28-2009, 23:29
WHy the hell you gota bring me into this. I just put a disclaimer on the thread. AND I got nasty PM! What did I do?

A disclaimer and a PM??

warraghiyagey
12-28-2009, 23:37
http://www.dangerouslyawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/simpsons_nelson_haha2uwr.jpg

Chaco Taco
12-28-2009, 23:39
Oh lord here it comes:rolleyes::D

DISCLAIMER, yes and a really nice PM:rolleyes:.

Whatever:rolleyes::mad::rolleyes::mad:

Dances with Mice
12-28-2009, 23:47
I think way too many people are hung up on that whole north, south thing.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've hiked the entire trail many times east - west and west-east.

Nean
12-29-2009, 00:00
I think way too many people are hung up on that whole north, south thing.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've hiked the entire trail many times east - west and west-east.

Mice don't like to talk 'bout it...................- but truth be known, ....he holds the record. a humble-Mofo he is, ;)

Hooch
12-29-2009, 05:52
just curious hooch. would a thread about how many times youve started and failed to finnish be so abborant? yes it would. right?http://theinsanityreport.com/images/pot_kettle.jpg
:p:rolleyes::D

Yukon
12-29-2009, 08:25
Why can't the original poster get an answer?

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 09:16
Hello friends. I was reading an article in my local Beckley paper, The Register Herald, about a new historical book, "Along Virginia's Appalachian Trail," produced in cooperation with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy by Leonard Adkins. It said he's among a rare breed of hikers that have 5 officially recorded thru hikes since 1936 when the trail was completed. It stated that fewer than 50 have accomplished this.
I'm wondering what members of Whiteblaze.net have 5 or more thru hikes.... :-?

cuz the ones with 5+ aren't answering?

mweinstone
12-29-2009, 09:18
are their mosquitoes or flys that have thrued?or some rodent maby in a pack ?if you had crabs the whole way would the crabs be thrus?

Lugnut
12-29-2009, 09:32

Because a serious discussion would end up in a flame war. Besides, Bulldawg is already a legend and Hooch is the man.:eek:

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 09:34
of the 24,000 members on here only a handful have done 1 thru-hike never mind 5

Tipi Walter
12-29-2009, 09:39

Yeah, what happened to the thread? Some space eating back and forth banter and that's it?

Here's a link on a previous discussion of Ward Leonard:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=408534

And then there's Warren Doyle, Seiko, Tarlin, and probably many others, some even keep it to themselves. Dorothy Laker did it three times in the 1960s-70s.

It would be interesting to do a study on the "repeat offenders" to gather some insight on motivation, family life, cash-in-reserve, and an actual count of lifetime bag nights, or how many nights they really spend outdoors sleeping, whether in a tent or a hammock or a bivy sac or a tarp, etc.

Intertwining with this would be the people or "hobo/bums" who have spent years around one shelter or lived in a shelter or just stayed "homeless" on the trail for a long time. Someone should write a book, THE FOOT TRAIL HOBOS or something.

mweinstone
12-29-2009, 09:44
my favorite thing god ever gave me other than my son, is the 3 years i have slept outside on my trail. i added the nights up once. its an extrodinary blessing and one that gives health and hope.

Tipi Walter
12-29-2009, 10:01
my favorite thing god ever gave me other than my son, is the 3 years i have slept outside on my trail. i added the nights up once. its an extrodinary blessing and one that gives health and hope.

For me personally, I think Bag Nights are more important that Thru-Hikes, although with enough thruhikes they start to merge together. Problem is, people want a "record" of some sort,
** Who has the most thruhikes?
** Who has hiked the AT in the fastest time?
** Who's hiked it with a Tuba or Barefoot or while wearing a New Guinea penis sheath, etc etc etc.

It would hard to "set a record" with just a large amount of bag nights, no one notices or cares. What captivates the crowd are the name and fame things: most thruhikes, going with a Tuba, speed hiking, etc. It's still interesting though to find people who have stayed out on the trail for 10 or 20 years.

mweinstone
12-29-2009, 10:24
theirs a crowd? and they can be captivated? i thaught only tow and wolf were watchin?wait,....

emerald
12-29-2009, 11:58
are their mosquitoes or flys that have thrued?

There are little birdies that make what celebrity through hikers have done look like a walk in a park.:-?:)

chief
12-29-2009, 12:16
There are little birdies that make what celebrity through hikers have done look like a walk in a park.:-?:)
Then there are hunters who make little birdies look like...MEAT!

jersey joe
12-29-2009, 12:16
5 thru hikes? My only guess of someone on WB who has done this many thru hikes would be Warren Doyle. I'd even be curious to see a list of people who have done TWO or more!
I started a thread on this a while back, but it didn't go very far.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36938

emerald
12-29-2009, 12:19
Then there are hunters who make little birdies look like...MEAT!

They're called scofflaws, not hunters! Authentic hunters respect both their quarry and the law.

Hooch
12-29-2009, 12:24
5 thru hikes? My only guess of someone on WB who has done this many thru hikes would be Warren Doyle.......I can think of at least 2 others off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more here incognito.

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 12:26
I can think of at least 2 others off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more here incognito.
Just Bulldawg but he ain't much for braggin about it. . .

Hooch
12-29-2009, 12:42
Just Bulldawg but he ain't much for braggin about it. . .
That's too much info from a person who not only doesn't exist, but has also left WB. :rolleyes:

Hooch
12-29-2009, 12:43
They're called scofflaws, not hunters!Bless your heart.

Heater
12-29-2009, 13:22
** Who's hiked it with a Tuba or Barefoot or while wearing a New Guinea penis sheath

OK. That last one was me. :banana

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 13:45
That's too much info from a person who not only doesn't exist, but has also left WB. :rolleyes:
agreed.....

Jester2000
12-29-2009, 13:54
cuz the ones with 5+ aren't answering?

. . . 'cause the ones with 5+ are out hiking.

wakapak
12-29-2009, 13:55
5 thru hikes? My only guess of someone on WB who has done this many thru hikes would be Warren Doyle. I'd even be curious to see a list of people who have done TWO or more!
I started a thread on this a while back, but it didn't go very far.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36938

I'm willing to bet there's more people that have done 2 or more than you'd think on here....alot of people are quiet about how many times they've done it.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 13:55
. . . 'cause the ones with 5+ are out hiking.
not me.......or jack

Jester2000
12-29-2009, 14:04
not me.......or jack

I'll grant you that, but that's just because you and Jack have the sense to stay indoors when it's cold.

jersey joe
12-29-2009, 14:14
not me.......or jack
LW, have you thru hiked 5x? I was under the impression that you hiked the majority of the trail at least 5x but dropped off many times because a thru wasn't your goal...

ARambler
12-29-2009, 15:21
I have (at least) 3 problems with the original question. First, section hiking is a perfectly valid way to hike the AT. I would be more impressed with someone who hiked the trail 5 times, over a 3+ year period each time. Second, the question excludes those who hike other trails. Finally, I see the "don't brag" or "who cares" argument, but can't really add to it.

The estimate of "less than 50" may be a high estimate, but I think that more than 0.1% (11 in 11,000) have hiked the trail 5 or more times. I don't know what most people guess for repeat offenders and what the "surprise" number is. I guess about 2 % of thru hikers are doing it for the second time, say half a dozen in 300 hikers, or 220 overall. It does not take much of an attrition rate for 220 hikers to get willowed down to 11+. If a third of two-timers hike again, and a third of those become 4, and a third of those become 5-timers, I calculate 220*(1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3) = 8.1 hikers 5 times or more on the AT. Certainly we can easily come up with more than 8. Even if 330 have hiked twice, there will still only be a dozen at the 5 time level.
Rambler

jersey joe
12-29-2009, 15:34
I have (at least) 3 problems with the original question. First, section hiking is a perfectly valid way to hike the AT. I would be more impressed with someone who hiked the trail 5 times, over a 3+ year period each time. Second, the question excludes those who hike other trails. Finally, I see the "don't brag" or "who cares" argument, but can't really add to it.
Rambler
I don't think there is anything wrong with the original question about thru hikes on the AT. The question is looking for particular information and doesn't imply that section hiking is invalid and also doesn't imply that there is anything wrong with hiking another trail.

sbhikes
12-29-2009, 15:41
How many people making hiking long trails their occupation? I've met a surprising number of people living the hiker lifestyle as a permanent condition. Mostly retired people. Naturally they don't live on the trail all year, but their whole lives are about hiking the trails, sectioning, thruing, whatever. It didn't matter. I'd like to do something like that someday. Maybe I will.

ARambler
12-29-2009, 15:47
I don't think there is anything wrong with the original question about thru hikes on the AT. The question is looking for particular information and doesn't imply that section hiking is invalid and also doesn't imply that there is anything wrong with hiking another trail.

If you felt that 5 times was not a big deal, you would not repeatedly plea for the answer to just "particular information". You and the originnal poster are degrading those who hike the AT 4 times a little, those who hike 3 a little more, and those (I can only think of one) who section hike 5 times, a lot.

My post was designed to show that getting your fat butt out a second time (not to mention the first time) is as big deal as hiking the 5th time.
Rambler

emerald
12-29-2009, 15:48
The estimate of "less than 50" may be a high estimate, but I think that more than 0.1% (11 in 11,000) have hiked the trail 5 or more times...

Who knows, but anyone who cares should read what ATC has to say on the subject.

Since 1936, more than 10,000 hike completions have been recorded by ATC. This includes thru-hikes, multiyear section-hikes, and more than 300 hikes by people who have already completed the A.T. one or more times. We call all these hikers “2,000-milers.”

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805579/k.DA92/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm)

Jester2000
12-29-2009, 17:45
If you felt that 5 times was not a big deal, you would not repeatedly plea for the answer to just "particular information". You and the originnal poster are degrading those who hike the AT 4 times a little, those who hike 3 a little more, and those (I can only think of one) who section hike 5 times, a lot.

My post was designed to show that getting your fat butt out a second time (not to mention the first time) is as big deal as hiking the 5th time.
Rambler

So if a person reads something in an article and asks a question about it, it's degrading to the people who don't fit into that category? I don't know if I agree with that. If the original poster is genuinely curious about something they read and who they might know, even if only through this site, what does that have to do with anyone who isn't in that category?

This is why the can of worms thing applies here -- not because of the original post, but because of the accusations and counter accusations that always seem to follow.

But let's say that the question is intended to degrade, as in "to put people in a lower category than others." Who cares? That would only be important if you cared what other people thought about your hiking.

Now obviously, I care a lot. That's why I make it a point to appear in as many trail movies as possible. But most thru-hikers I know don't care all that much what other people think. If it were otherwise, they'd listen to their friends and family who think they're nuts, and stay home.

kanga
12-29-2009, 18:04
So if a person reads something in an article and asks a question about it, it's degrading to the people who don't fit into that category? I don't know if I agree with that. If the original poster is genuinely curious about something they read and who they might know, even if only through this site, what does that have to do with anyone who isn't in that category?

This is why the can of worms thing applies here -- not because of the original post, but because of the accusations and counter accusations that always seem to follow.

But let's say that the question is intended to degrade, as in "to put people in a lower category than others." Who cares? That would only be important if you cared what other people thought about your hiking.

Now obviously, I care a lot. That's why I make it a point to appear in as many trail movies as possible. But most thru-hikers I know don't care all that much what other people think. If it were otherwise, they'd listen to their friends and family who think they're nuts, and stay home.
because, as one wb poster put it, it's "the metrosexualization of america". we all have to be fair to one another and pet one another and baby one another. because we are all now pussies.
and i say in response, grow a set you puss. we don't have to include everybody and make it all fair. and i don't give a **** if you're offended. go cry about unfairness to your mama.

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 18:18
Kanga says merry christmas. . . . :p

Jester2000
12-29-2009, 18:19
because, as one wb poster put it, it's "the metrosexualization of america". we all have to be fair to one another and pet one another and baby one another. because we are all now pussies.
and i say in response, grow a set you puss. we don't have to include everybody and make it all fair. and i don't give a **** if you're offended. go cry about unfairness to your mama.

I probably don't say this often enough, but I love Kanga.

jersey joe
12-29-2009, 18:22

Rambler
I do not know the intent of the original poster but my post wasn't intended to "degrade" anyone. I would also be interested in knowing how many people thru hiked 3 or 4 times, and people who have sectioned 5 times.

Hooch
12-29-2009, 18:23
I probably don't say this often enough, but I love Kanga.Don't we all? :sun

Egads
12-29-2009, 18:27
What I'd like to know is has Warrgy made it to GA & has Bulldawg completed GA?

Hooch
12-29-2009, 18:27
.....I would also be interested in knowing how many people.......have sectioned 5 times.Heck, even I've hiked more than 5 sections. :rolleyes::D

kanga
12-29-2009, 18:29
and i love you all. even the pussies. it takes all kinds.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:32
There are probably more 5000 milers than there are 5 timers

Wakapak is a 5000 miler:D:D:D:D
Youre welcome ho;)ney

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:32
and i love you all. even the pussies. it takes all kinds.

All kinds of what?

Hooch
12-29-2009, 18:35
All kinds of what?Stuff, all kinds of stuff. And things.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:38
Stuff, all kinds of stuff. And things.

You playin with your thing again?:D
You need to stop doing that while trollin WB. Just aint right:D:D:D

Look at dat Hoochie Momma

kanga
12-29-2009, 18:40
All kinds of what?
all kinds of people. if we were all the same it would be boring.

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 18:41
all kinds of people. if we were all the same it would be boring.

As boring as...............

Lugnut
12-29-2009, 19:09
Don't we all? :sun

I'm still trying to decide but I'm leaning that way. :D

kanga
12-29-2009, 19:15
As boring as...............
....an overmoderated wb? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angelic006.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 19:21
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/funny-pictures-cat-scared-sink-water1.jpg

bloodmountainman
12-29-2009, 19:42

No and yes.....in that order. Just an educated guess!

brotheral
12-29-2009, 20:01

Rambler
Obviously you don't know me, ARambler. I would never set out to degrade anyone. I was SIMPLY CURIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some folks just insist on finding fault with things...always looking for reasons to BE UPSET. That's too bad...

Rockhound
12-29-2009, 20:04
I only have one more section to finish before I will have hiked the whole A.T.. Georgia to Argentina

Rockhound
12-29-2009, 20:05
Does anyone have the map for this section? I've had trouble trying to find one.

brotheral
12-29-2009, 20:12
I only have one more section to finish before I will have hiked the whole A.T.. Georgia to Argentina
Don't you mean Georgia to Maine :-? ?????

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 20:16
Obviously you don't know me, ARambler. I would never set out to degrade anyone. I was SIMPLY CURIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some folks just insist on finding fault with things...always looking for reasons to BE UPSET. That's too bad...

i hear ya. i'm totally misunderstood all the time :cool:

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2009, 20:19
Don't you mean Georgia to Maine :-? ?????
he was joking
probably less yo-yo completions than 5x 2,000 milers:-???????
oh yeah, HAPPY NEW YEARS TO YOU ALL!

sheepdog
12-29-2009, 20:30
I think there is a governor that has that all mapped out

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 20:39
I think there is a governor that has that all mapped out
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

brotheral
12-29-2009, 20:55
This is going No-where !! I humbly request that this thread be laid to rest !!

Bulldawg
12-29-2009, 20:58

Nooooo....................:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek ::eek::eek:

Rockhound
12-29-2009, 21:01
What if we all promise to thru-hike at least 5 times? Can we keep it open?

ARambler
12-29-2009, 21:13
i hear ya. i'm totally misunderstood all the time :cool:

In 2005, LW gave me a shuttle. It was probably to Totally Misunderstood, and I got out and walked.

100 posts and I win for being most off topic:confused:
Rambler

sheepdog
12-29-2009, 21:15
you don't by chance have six fingers on your right hand do you?

Chaco Taco
12-29-2009, 21:33

Probably the kind of guy that uses the "hiker midnight" excuse to shush people at shelters:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 23:21
Actually I walked right through the breezeway at Neel Gap last Feb. . . . :sun

Mags
12-30-2009, 01:25
I've been through hiking at least five times:

I am done through hiking when I need a beer..
I am through hiking when I want a burger...
I am through hiking when I reach the end of the trail...
I am through hiking for the day when I pitch my shelter...
and lastly I am through hiking when their is a lot of snow on the ground and I grab my skis.

Lastly, I am through with posting on this message. :p

buff_jeff
12-30-2009, 02:45
I'm the only one who has thru hiked any trail 5 times. I'm what they call a legend in this community.

nopain
12-30-2009, 06:27
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana( 7) To many want to be's on WB :mad::mad::confused::-?

toenail
12-30-2009, 12:18
How many have hiked the AT 5 times, with a loaded handgun, and knocked around one of those "Midnight Hiker" types????...............anyone?.................an yone?

Disney
12-30-2009, 12:28
How many have hiked the AT 5 times with a dog, a cellphone, and a crying baby, but without a tent, while asking hikers for money, smoking in the shelter, using an alarm clock, and spreading the love of Jesus with everyone they meet.

You may think this guy's annoying, but he makes up for it by correcting the mistakes other people make in their hikes while advising them on proper gear.

toenail
12-30-2009, 12:35
I think I know that guy. Did he use a logging chain and padlock to keep other people from stealing his pack?

Disney
12-30-2009, 12:48
I think I know that guy. Did he use a logging chain and padlock to keep other people from stealing his pack?

Actually it was a trick question. It was me. Although I lied about the 5 times. It's actually 16. No one on the planet has ever walked as much as I do, or with more style, flair, grace, aplomb, finesse, and professionalism. I bring hiking to a high art form. I'm so good at it, I'm actually hiking while typing this right now. In truth, I do it so well that many people become discouraged and stop hiking around me in order to avoid feeling inadequate in my presence.

Jester2000
12-30-2009, 13:10
. . . No one on the planet has ever walked as much as I do, or with more style, flair, grace, aplomb, finesse, and professionalism. . .

. . . and he's the only person I know who hikes with a thesaurus.

Disney
12-30-2009, 13:17
. . . and he's the only person I know who hikes with a thesaurus.

You're the second person today to accuse me of that. Some type of dinosaur I assume?

warraghiyagey
12-30-2009, 13:18
I thought dinosaurs were extinct. . . .

Jester2000
12-30-2009, 13:31
What's another word for thesaurus?

Disney
12-30-2009, 13:41

You just blew my mind.

And now that Warragazer has joined in, the thread has now been officially hijacked.

warraghiyagey
12-30-2009, 13:42
Repository. . .

warraghiyagey
12-30-2009, 13:43
You just blew my mind.

And now that Warragazer has joined in, the thread has now been officially hijacked.

That was pages ago. . .
:sun:sun:D

wakapak
12-30-2009, 13:47
That was pages ago. . .
:sun:sun:D

Warrgy, the Master of thread Hijacks...:p :D

warraghiyagey
12-30-2009, 13:53
:banana:banana:banana

toenail
12-30-2009, 14:23
. . and he's the only person I know who hikes with a thesaurus. Disney, sprinkle some Goldbond on ya boys. Then they won't be so sore.

BobTheBuilder
12-30-2009, 15:24
Hello friends. I was reading an article in my local Beckley paper, The Register Herald, ....:-?

Wait Just a Minute! This whole thread is a lie - people in West Virginia can'r read!:p

brotheral
12-30-2009, 20:20
Wait Just a Minute! This whole thread is a lie - people in West Virginia can'r read!:p
Come on over to WV and I'll treat ya to a can of Hillbilly Whup-Ass. It'll be my pleasure :banana

Pacific Tortuga
12-30-2009, 20:57
Come on over to WV and I'll treat ya to a can of Hillbilly Whup-Ass. It'll be my pleasure :banana

Is that served with crow or WV fav, road kill ? :)

Chaco Taco
12-30-2009, 20:57

PLease shut the thread down:rolleyes: I request this be closed:rolleyes: This thread sucks:eek:

SassyWindsor
12-30-2009, 21:17
I'm the type that after hiking it once I'd rather tackle other trails. But, if I did hike it several or so times I'd do it in a different direction(s), different time of year, anything to avoid boredom.

Hiking all the 800 miles of trails in the GSMNP will end up being closer to somewhere between 900 and a 1000 miles of total hiking due to access and overlap. This is the only part that bores me.

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2009, 21:33
I'm the type that after hiking it once I'd rather tackle other trails. But, if I did hike it several or so times I'd do it in a different direction(s), different time of year, anything to avoid boredom.

Hiking all the 800 miles of trails in the GSMNP will end up being closer to somewhere between 900 and a 1000 miles of total hiking due to access and overlap. This is the only part that bores me.
the trail changes every year. and actually for myself the hikes got better every time!!!!
always wondered if you could map out a thruhike of all the trails in GSMNP
& whether they would let you? be alot of criss crossing probably? happy new year!!!

Rockhound
12-30-2009, 21:43
If a couple in WV gets a divorce, are they still cousins?

Dances with Mice
12-30-2009, 21:59
Actually I walked right through the breezeway at Neel Gap last Feb. . . . :sunOn your way to the Frisbee golf course?

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2009, 22:07
bet theres people from every state, that only get laid at family reunions:rolleyes:

Lugnut
12-31-2009, 00:18
On your way to the Frisbee golf course?

That's the way Ray! :D

warraghiyagey
12-31-2009, 01:30
On your way to the Frisbee golf course?
. . . burn one. . . . :)

brotheral
12-31-2009, 07:48
Wishing Everyone (even Bob the Builder & Pebble Puppy :)) a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year :welcome !!!!
Even though I never got an answer to my original question.... I've gotten some good laughs.

warren doyle
01-03-2010, 15:34
I will complete my 15th traverse of the entire AT (by sections) on Monday morning March 29, 2010 at Bulls Bridge, CT. I will complete my 16th traverse of the entire AT (thru-hike - 2010 AT Circle Expedition) on Saturday morning Sept. 4th, 2010 atop Katahdin. The 16 hikes are broken down as follows:

1973 - thru-hike (66.3 days AT record 1973-78)
1975 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition
1977 - thru-hike AT Cicrle (broken) Expedition
1980 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition
1990 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition (Circle of Dreams videodocumentary)
1995 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition
2000 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition
2005 - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition
2010* - thru-hike AT Circle Expedition (* to be completed)

plus 7* section hikes of the entire trail (* four days left for the seventh)

Runner-up position is held by Ward Leonard who has ten traverses of the entire trail to his credit.

I would estimate there might be ten folks who have between 5-9 traverses of most of the trail:

Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce

slow
01-04-2010, 02:06
I will complete my 15th traverse of the entire AT (by sections) on Monday morning March 29, 2010 at Bulls Bridge, CT. I will complete my 16th traverse of the entire AT (thru-hike - 2010 AT Circle Expedition) on Saturday morning Sept. 4th, 2010 atop Katahdin. The 16 hikes are broken down as follows:

Runner-up position is held by Ward Leonard who has ten traverses of the entire trail to his credit.

I would estimate there might be ten folks who have between 5-9 traverses of most of the trail:

Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce

Good God,that is something to tell.:sun:sun:sun

jersey joe
01-06-2010, 15:41

Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
After four pages of drivel we finally get an answer to the original question. Thanks for the info Warren. You are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the AT.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 15:42
Wishing Everyone (even Bob the Builder & Pebble Puppy :)) a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year :welcome !!!!
Even though I never got an answer to my original question.... I've gotten some good laughs.

Yea you did

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 15:44
I'm too lazy to see what the original question was. . . .

John B
01-06-2010, 16:41
I will complete my 15th traverse of the entire AT (by sections) on Monday morning March 29, 2010 ...

Just curious, but have you ever ventured out and hiked the PCT or CDT?

trippclark
01-06-2010, 17:09

Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce

FINALLY, a serious answer to the question! I was hoping that after all of the squabble we would eventually get to a serious answer to an interesting question. Thanks Warren.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 17:12
FINALLY, a serious answer to the question! I was hoping that after all of the squabble we would eventually get to a serious answer to an interesting question. Thanks Warren.

Yes, must be serious around here! This is serious! Seriously!:rolleyes:

ARambler
01-06-2010, 17:25
I will complete my 15th traverse of the entire AT (by sections) ...

Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
As I stated before, I count section hikes. I think your guess is a little low, but I haven't been out that much.

I haven't heard of Roy, but sure you are right about the others.
Already on this tread, we have:
Bulldawg
No Pain
Lone Wolf
Seiko

How about:
Wolf 23000
Doesn't Play Well with Others (aka Eagle)
Jaybird but went with by another name with Mouse in it,
Stumpknocker
Circuit Rider
Sherlock
Dutch Traveller?

Are there any woman? I have only met one doing 4. I met someone who said "they call me Umbrella Lady". I thought she meant she was just getting a trail name, but I think she had been around the block.

I'm sure there are several others who are close, like Nean.

I still say it is a lot harder to do a second thru, of the AT, than a 5th. That must be why more do the PCT than the AT twice.
Rambler

trippclark
01-06-2010, 17:55
I haven't heard of Roy,

I ran into Roy on the AT in North Carolina back in 2002, I think. He was a very interesting fellow . . . a bit unconventional.

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 18:00
Well that narrows it down. . . . :-?

Nean
01-06-2010, 18:08
is that 'ol Roy? :)

There are a couple people mentioned with a history of BSing folks.:eek:

I've gotten started but will most likely head west later this year.:o

ARambler
01-06-2010, 18:39
I was PM'ed that this was not true. I have no on-trail knowledge.

As I stated before, I count section hikes. I think your guess is a little low, but I haven't been out that much.

I haven't heard of Roy, but sure you are right about the others.
Already on this tread, we have:
Bulldawg
No Pain
Lone Wolf
Seiko

How about:
Wolf 23000
Doesn't Play Well with Others (aka Eagle)
Jaybird but went with by another name with Mouse in it,
Stumpknocker
Circuit Rider
Sherlock
Dutch Traveller?

Are there any woman? I have only met one doing 4. I met someone who said "they call me Umbrella Lady". I thought she meant she was just getting a trail name, but I think she had been around the block.

I'm sure there are several others who are close, like Nean.

I still say it is a lot harder to do a second thru, of the AT, than a 5th. That must be why more do the PCT than the AT twice.
Rambler

is that 'ol Roy? :)

There are a couple people mentioned with a history of BSing folks.:eek:

I've gotten started but will most likely head west later this year.:o

Nobody on this list has BS'ed more than 25,000 posts. Except for Roy, Bulldawg, Ward Leonard, and Leonard Adkins, I have met them all on the trail. (although I can't remember Seiko). I don't have a great memory, so I'm sure there are errors. On the other hand I didn't just list well known hikers who I have no idea what they have done. How about Hikerhead??
Rambler

warraghiyagey
01-06-2010, 18:52
I was PM'ed that this was not true. I have no on-trail knowledge.

Well that doesn't mean it isn't not untrue. . .

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2010, 19:12
Haven't been around much the last few weeks, and was only recently informed that another poster here had placed my name on a list of folks he felt had hiked "most" of the Trail 5-9 times. :D

Hmmm. Praise from Caesar.

Good gosh, I'm glad I was at least credited me with the use of the word "most." I suppose I should at least be grateful for that.

I guess this individual knows more about my trips and travels than I do, but if he knows otherwise, he's certainly welcome to tell us.

Funny thing, I've never been one to talk much about my trips, completed hikes, total mileage achieved over the years, etc. For example, this thread has been up for quite awhile but I never felt the need to comment on it.

And as for the utter vulgarity of posting my hiking resume publicly, like in hiker registers, or makinga point of my present accumulated mileage, well, no, like virtually every other hiker, I quite rightly assumed nobody cared about such things. Were I to post or publicly talk about such things, I'd expect this to be treated with scorn.

But in light of this thread, and I'm only commenting because someone else brought up my name: Yes, I've hiked the Trail more than 5 times, and while thru-hiking, the phrase "most" didn't apply. There are any number of folks who can attest that my Trail purism was near Calvinist, at least when it came to going thru blowdowns and not around them, making sure to enter and leave shelters by the same route, etc.

The news that I only hiked "most" of the Trail.......well, this is certainly interesting to hear, especially coming form someone who has never hiked a yard in my company.

Anyone that has any doubts or questions about this hasn't hiked with me either.

And on that note, I'll leave this subject, but personal slights and affronts, however they may be presented, regrettably demand a response.

I hope this subject is closed. Anyone wishing to discuss this matter further is welcomed, in fact is MORE than welcomed to do it personally, rather than here.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 19:19
Haven't been around much the last few weeks, and was only recently informed that another poster here had placed my name on a list of folks he felt had hiked "most" of the Trail 5-9 times. :D

Hmmm. Praise from Caesar.

Good gosh, I'm glad I was at least credited me with the use of the word "most." I suppose I should at least be grateful for that.

I guess this individual knows more about my trips and travels than I do, but if he knows otherwise, he's certainly welcome to tell us.

Funny thing, I've never been one to talk much about my trips, completed hikes, total mileage achieved over the years, etc. For example, this thread has been up for quite awhile but I never felt the need to comment on it.

And as for the utter vulgarity of posting my hiking resume publicly, like in hiker registers, or makinga point of my present accumulated mileage, well, no, like virtually every other hiker, I quite rightly assumed nobody cared about such things. Were I to post or publicly talk about such things, I'd expect this to be treated with scorn.

But in light of this thread, and I'm only commenting because someone else brought up my name: Yes, I've hiked the Trail more than 5 times, and while thru-hiking, the phrase "most" didn't apply. There are any number of folks who can attest that my Trail purism was near Calvinist, at least when it came to going thru blowdowns and not around them, making sure to enter and leave shelters by the same route, etc.

The news that I only hiked "most" of the Trail.......well, this is certainly interesting to hear, especially coming form someone who has never hiked a yard in my company.

Anyone that has any doubts or questions about this hasn't hiked with me either.

And on that note, I'll leave this subject, but personal slights and affronts, however they may be presented, regrettably demand a response.

I hope this subject is closed. Anyone wishing to discuss this matter further is welcomed, in fact is MORE than welcomed to do it personally, rather than here.

Hey and I havent even made any smarta** comments about you!!!!!

Jester2000
01-06-2010, 19:23
Hahaha! I used to make fun of Jack for his weirdly purist approach to blowdowns. If he absolutely couldn't get through them, he would walk in as far as he could get, then back out, go around, and back his way in on the other side as far as he could, and then continue on.

I don't know if this was his regular approach when getting over a blowdown was impossible, but I did see him do it at least once. It was pretty entertaining.

I'd also make fun of him for the slightly embarrassed look he'd get on his face when he would be standing for a long stretch at the ALDHA Gathering Opening Ceremony, when people would stand up and sit down as they announced class years. Also entertaining.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2010, 19:24
Nope. You've been great, Chac, and I hope you guys had a wonderful holiday.

A very close family member is thinking of relocating to Asheville and I put you guys at the very top of the list for people she had to look up.

Imagine that!! :D

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 19:26

A very close family member is thinking of relocating to Asheville and I put you guys at the very top of the list for people she had to look up.

She will be in good hands. Hope you had a good holiday. We just got back from NH and it was......white.

Johnny Thunder
01-06-2010, 19:35

She better like the roller derby. It's coming to town!!!!

(chaco, we're going this time).

Chaco Taco
01-06-2010, 20:52
She better like the roller derby. It's coming to town!!!!

(chaco, we're going this time).

and monster truck rallys

Lugnut
01-06-2010, 22:07
Well that narrows it down. . . . :-?

Doesn't carry a stove. Cooks over cowboy fire. There, that should help. :)

jhick
01-07-2010, 00:34
I meet Roy (assuming it's same guy) in NJ at Catfish fire tower. Me and my bro were sitting on tower waiting for sunset and along came Roy. He hiked in sandals, cooked over a fire and was one hell of a nice guy. No ego, just loved to hike....

Lone Wolf
01-07-2010, 03:39
I meet Roy (assuming it's same guy) in NJ at Catfish fire tower. Me and my bro were sitting on tower waiting for sunset and along came Roy. He hiked in sandals, cooked over a fire and was one hell of a nice guy. No ego, just loved to hike....

he lives 4 houses down from me. we hiked from waynesboro, va. to gorham n.h. together back in 86

Nean
01-07-2010, 14:30
So, it is ol Roy. I thought so.:)

I don't get the 25,000 post reference.:o

Jack, my friend, for you to say nobody cares means you think you know everyone.:-? I- for one -find it interesting.:eek::o:o:o:rolleyes:
Yep, I noticed the cut from the amazing dayhiker.:rolleyes: I also remember recieving the same slight about triple crowners this summer, you may remember.;)

To whom it may concern:
I've never understood the whole I'm too cool to admit what I've done thing.:confused: Bragging is not cool, this we know;;) but pretenting its a secret or inside info is way cool?:confused: I do think it is more fun to fly under the radar but I can admit what I've done when asked. :eek: A person can be humble w/o false modesty IMO.:)

ARambler
01-07-2010, 15:12
So, it is ol Roy. I thought so.:)

I don't get the 25,000 post reference.:o

I don't really care who you thought was "BS'ing", just wondered if LW would take it personally. but nooo, it was ...

Jack, my friend, for you to say nobody cares means you think you know everyone.:-? I- for one -find it interesting.:eek::o:o:o:rolleyes:
Yep, I noticed the cut from the amazing dayhiker.:rolleyes: I also remember recieving the same slight about triple crowners this summer, you may remember.;)

To whom it may concern:
I've never understood the whole I'm too cool to admit what I've done thing.:confused: Bragging is not cool, this we know;;) but pretenting its a secret or inside info is way cool?:confused: I do think it is more fun to fly under the radar but I can admit what I've done when asked. :eek: A person can be humble w/o false modesty IMO.:)
You seem to get it. Did you figure it out here on WB?
Rambler

Gray Blazer
01-07-2010, 15:19
Yep, I noticed the cut from the amazing dayhiker.:rolleyes:

I consider myself to be an amazing dayhiker. I've done it more than 5 times though.

I don't think I am The Amazing Dayhiker and I'm not sure who that is.

Grampie
01-07-2010, 16:06
[
I care a lot. That's why I make it a point to appear in as many trail movies as possible. But most thru-hikers I know don't care all that much what other people think. If it were otherwise, they'd listen to their friends and family who think they're nuts, and stay home.[/QUOTE]

Jesters quote just about says it all.:-?

Nean
01-07-2010, 16:11
:D
I don't really care who you thought was "BS'ing", just wondered if LW would take it personally. but nooo, it was ...

...neither Jack or LW. It was 2 people who may have well hiked 5 times but have been caught giving themselves credit for more than they have done. Nothing more. Gives reason to wonder what is real and what is make believe. I don't believe everything politians say either, for the same reason.

You seem to get it. Did you figure it out here on WB?
Rambler
Again I'm a bit confused.:confused: It appears to me as common sense.:eek: Something I was raised with.;) My parents have never been on WB so I'm thinking they may have figured it out on another website, lol!:D

No GB, not you, though I'm pretty sure you be amazing.:p Thought that one was pretty transparent. I was refering to the same person as Jack, who has done an amazing amount of dayhiking and tends to take EVERY opportunity to share his resume.:confused: Its a I'm more pure than you battle that has raged for years here on our beloved WB. Most tire from it I guess but I still get a kick out of it. :o

Foxtrot is another hiker who may be in that 5+ group.

Johnny Thunder
01-07-2010, 16:45
[
I care a lot. That's why I make it a point to appear in as many trail movies as possible. But most thru-hikers I know don't care all that much what other people think. If it were otherwise, they'd listen to their friends and family who think they're nuts, and stay home.

Jesters quote just about says it all.:-?[/QUOTE]

It's important to note that only in one of the movies does Jester "appear" to have been hiking.

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 17:55
Jesters quote just about says it all.:-?

It's important to note that only in one of the movies does Jester "appear" to have been hiking.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and for the record, it just seems that, considering the circumstances, I must be hiking, but I still have a 100% success rate of not being captured on film actually hiking.

Tragically, that streak will most likely come to an end in April.

kanga
01-07-2010, 19:15
blah
blah
you, sirrah, are correct.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink004.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

oh, and uhh..

nah, i'll do it here. it's more fun for everybody that way.

warraghiyagey
01-07-2010, 19:26
Agreed. . . I don't think there's many here who want to be told what's what by anybody, regardless of their whiteknuckled grip on their imaginary pulpit . . .

jhick
01-07-2010, 19:30
I only met Roy once, and I think he was just one very cool, humble person. Knew tons about the trail, nature and so on.... my bro and I talked to him for hours and hours, fascinated by his seemingly endless knowledge of the AT. We talked about places I had personally been dozens of times, geographically in my backyard and he knew all about it and much more than I...

and yet I had no idea he had thru hiked so many times.....he never mentioned it....

cuz he didn't feel the need to tell everyone he came in contact with I suppose....

Belew
01-07-2010, 19:54
I only met Roy once, and I think he was just one very cool, humble person. Knew tons about the trail, nature and so on.... my bro and I talked to him for hours and hours, fascinated by his seemingly endless knowledge of the AT. We talked about places I had personally been dozens of times, geographically in my backyard and he knew all about it and much more than I...

and yet I had no idea he had thru hiked so many times.....he never mentioned it....

cuz he didn't feel the need to tell everyone he came in contact with I suppose....

I know Roy. He's a real nice and interesting guy. I never thought about it until now but we've never even talked about backpacking. We always seem to talk about gardening.

Hikemor
01-08-2010, 00:02
I hiked with Roy, BD and Lone Wolf (I believe) from DWG to Cornwall Bridge in '86. It must have been Roy's first thru-hike. Had no idea he completed additional thrus.

kanga
01-08-2010, 00:42
I hiked with Roy, BD and Lone Wolf (I believe) from DWG to Cornwall Bridge in '86. It must have been Roy's first thru-hike. Had no idea he completed additional thrus.
shhhhh. you're not supposed to have experience as a newbie as it detracts from our ability to tell you how much better we are than you. you wait a few years, you whippersnapper, and then you come back and post once you've gotten used to your soapbox. quietly suffer..dammit. see lw for details.

Hikemor
01-09-2010, 11:21
Yeah, I've lurked here for a while. Never had a thread that hit so close to home as this one.

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 18:56
Yeah, I've lurked here for a while. Never had a thread that hit so close to home as this one.

Why has this particular thread "hit home"? For me this thread has been a bit of a let down.......:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 18:57

Lurked for awhile? You joined what 2 days ago?

Marta
01-10-2010, 19:02

You can lurk, i.e., read threads, to your heart's content on Whiteblaze without joining. Only when you want to post something do you have to sign up.

Toolshed
01-10-2010, 19:03
Wahhhh!!! Waaaaahhhh!!!!!!! :datz

Lone Wolf
01-10-2010, 19:06
Why has this particular thread "hit home"? For me this thread has been a bit of a let down.......:rolleyes:

it hits home cuz he hiked with me and roy 23+ years ago
lurking and joining are 2 different things

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 19:07
Wahhhh!!! Waaaaahhhh!!!!!!! :datz

Great avatar by the way!!!:D

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 19:07
You can lurk, i.e., read threads, to your heart's content on Whiteblaze without joining. Only when you want to post something do you have to sign up.

Gotcha, forgot there is lurking:D

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 19:08
it hits home cuz he hiked with me and roy 23+ years ago
lurking and joining are 2 different things

Dang Wolf who havent you hiked with?

Marta
01-10-2010, 19:08
Yeah, some of us (and this group includes me) can't read without responding.

Toolshed
01-10-2010, 19:10
Dang Wolf who havent you hiked with?
Me. I'ma damn Yankeetard

Chaco Taco
01-10-2010, 23:59
Its really cool meeting alot of you over the past few years.

Smoky in TN
01-12-2010, 15:48
Dutch Traveler?
I met a hiker in '99 just south of SNP. He went by the name of Traveler. I wonder if that's the same person?
He claimed to have 6 thru hikes, first to thru hike in the winter, first to do a double yo-yo, was awarded an honorary membership in the ATC, etc.
He was a nice enough person, but I did get tired of listening to it.

Nean
01-12-2010, 15:59
Dutch Traveler?
I met a hiker in '99 just south of SNP. He went by the name of Traveler. I wonder if that's the same person?
He claimed to have 6 thru hikes, first to thru hike in the winter, first to do a double yo-yo, was awarded an honorary membership in the ATC, etc.

Traveler faded away quikly once folks caught on that he wasn't just full of himself, but BS too. Another example of a hiker who got caught up with his fantasy instead of backpacking.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2010, 16:09
Dutch Traveler?

Greg Key was his name. i knew him well

Marta
01-12-2010, 21:07
Greg Key was his name. i knew him well

This guy?

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=199070

ARambler
01-12-2010, 23:27
This guy?

That's the guy I was talking about. He was doing a yoyo in 06/07. He was hiking with some pretty solid hikers. Nean's post 162 may apply?

Rambler

Marta
01-13-2010, 08:08
That's the guy I was talking about. He was doing a yoyo in 06/07. He was hiking with some pretty solid hikers. Nean's post 162 may apply?

Rambler

A yoyo? That photo was taken in December '06. He said he was just over from Germany for a vacation and was driving around, doing sections, and offering rides to SOBOs.

One of us has his story confused.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 08:36
This guy?

yes. that's him

Jeff
01-13-2010, 09:13
Had a thruhiker named Jaybird who claimed to be on thru #8 in 2009. Real solid guy.

Pictured here: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=475437

dmax
01-13-2010, 09:33
I think the Unknown Hiker is one also.

jersey joe
01-13-2010, 10:36
So far this is the list of 5x thru hikers:
Warren Doyle
Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
JayBird

Possible 5x Hikers:
Unknown Hiker
Dutch Traveler

Any others?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 10:46
Warren Doyle
Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
JayBird

Possible 5x Hikers:
Unknown Hiker
Dutch Traveler

Any others?

me........

max patch
01-13-2010, 10:47
I never hiked with Greg Key but i spent a couple days with him at the hostel in Hanover. Back then he called himself The Traveler. Did he change his name to Dutch Traveler or is this someone else?

John B
01-13-2010, 11:25
I think that Stumpknocker has a lot of thrus, too. I'd guess more than five.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 11:27
I never hiked with Greg Key but i spent a couple days with him at the hostel in Hanover. Back then he called himself The Traveler. Did he change his name to Dutch Traveler or is this someone else?
same guy......

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 11:28
I think that Stumpknocker has a lot of thrus, too. I'd guess more than five.

circuit rider and sherlock too

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 11:28
terry moore

wakapak
01-13-2010, 11:37
Warren Doyle
Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
JayBird

Possible 5x Hikers:
Unknown Hiker
Dutch Traveler

Any others?

interesting, doesn't seem to be any females that have done 5....:-?

jersey joe
01-13-2010, 12:23
me........
I asked on page two of this thread if you did 5 or more LW...wasn't sure.

Updated list of 5x thru hikers:
Warren Doyle
Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
JayBird
Lone Wolf
Terry Moore

Unconfirmed 5x Hikers:
Unknown Hiker
Dutch Traveler
Stumpknocker
Circuit Rider
Sherlock

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 12:37

Perhaps they have too much sense.

Sly
01-13-2010, 13:24

I think three is tops for women.. Rambunny, maybe Mrs Gorp and possibly another.

Of all the guys that have hiked the AT 5 times, I don't think one has hike another long trail such as the PCT or CDT. Come on guys, variety is the spice of life and although each hike may be different, it's not THAT different.

warraghiyagey
01-13-2010, 13:25
Well, Stumpknocker does do some other pretty cool things. . . :)

John B
01-13-2010, 13:30
I only know Stumpknocker through his trailjournals stuff, which are great reading, but in addition to +5 AT thrus, I think he's done the CDT and the Muir, and he's bicycled across country a couple of times. But maybe his greatest claim to fame is that he's probably eaten more fried chicken and swilled more gallons of coffee than anyone else doing a thru.

Nean
01-13-2010, 13:30

How about the Umbreela Lady?

Sly
01-13-2010, 13:32
Well, Stumpknocker does do some other pretty cool things. . . :)

Yeah, I forgot about Stumpy, cyclist supreme. Which is kind of bad since I brought him to the CDT trailhead in NM. I imagine he'll be finishing that trail in the next year or two.

ARambler
01-13-2010, 14:17
terry moore

Who is Terry Moore? a woman? I think Rambunny may have 4. Do the A-***** on WB think Mrs. Gorp's 2 section hikes count??? I asked about Umbrella lady way back. Is she Leonard's wife?

I asked on page two of this thread if you did 5 or more LW...wasn't sure.

Updated list of 5x thru hikers:
Warren Doyle
Jack Tarlin
Trek
Roy
Heald
Leonard Adkins
Dan Bruce
JayBird
Lone Wolf
Terry Moore

Unconfirmed 5x Hikers:
Unknown Hiker
Dutch Traveler
Stumpknocker
Circuit Rider
Sherlock
I'm glad somone who can't even even read the previous posts is making the authoritative list of who is confirmed and who is unconfirmed. :rolleyes:

Saw Traveller early July, late July, mid August, and late September 2007. Dutch Traveller is Dutch as in Holland, not Dutch as in Germany/PA dutch. Dutch is optional. Also Ambler in
Rambler

ARambler
01-13-2010, 14:21
.... Do the A-***** on WB think Mrs. Gorp's 2 section hikes count??? ....Rambler
Sorry, A is for annal, not *'s needed.

Lugnut
01-13-2010, 14:37
Don't forget Seiko

stumpknocker
01-13-2010, 14:43
Rambunny and Mrs Gorp have both walked the AT three times. :)

Sly
01-13-2010, 14:46
Who is Terry Moore? a woman? I think Rambunny may have 4. Do the A-***** on WB think Mrs. Gorp's 2 section hikes count???

I'm not anal and I think anything Mrs Gorp does counts. :D

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2010, 18:59
Ward Leonard belongs on the list.

Great hiker.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2010, 19:09
And so does Wolf23000.

And Seiko, too, tho there have been those who've publicly disparaged (i.e. denied) his achievements, tho never to his face. :rolleyes:

Mala must be be pretty close, and Pirate sure would be if didn't have such firm objections to crossing the Mason-Dixon line.

As other folks, like Lone Wolf, have consistently pointed out, there are undoubtedly others too, people who have never gone "public," never been on the Internet, never chosen to talk about their hikes, their travels, their mileage.

I've met plenty of people who never reported into Harpers Ferry (or anywhere else) their hike or their travels, and I'm sure there are all sorts of other folks out there whose hiking resume lives in happy anonymity, and more power to 'em.

jersey joe
01-13-2010, 20:13
Don't forget Seiko
I just read in a trail journal (http://www.atthruhiker.org/news.html) from 2004 that Seiko had 13 thru hikes and over 38k AT miles....that's pretty cool...

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2010, 20:24
Joe:

I confidently predict that very shortly your last post will be very sternly disputed, i.e. someone will huffily say that Seiko's accomplishments as a hiker are greatly exaggerrated. That statement has been made here previously and will no doubt be made again, tho to my knowledge, nobody ever expressed these doubts to Seiko in person, which is regrettable.

It would have been worth watching. :D

Sly
01-13-2010, 20:31
Joe:

I confidently predict that very shortly your last post will be very sternly disputed, i.e. someone will huffily say that Seiko's accomplishments as a hiker are greatly exaggerrated. That statement has been made here previously and will no doubt be made again, tho to my knowledge, nobody ever expressed these doubts to Seiko in person, which is regrettable.

Army vs Marine?

wakapak
01-13-2010, 20:55
I think three is tops for women.. Rambunny, maybe Mrs Gorp and possibly another.

Of all the guys that have hiked the AT 5 times, I don't think one has hike another long trail such as the PCT or CDT. Come on guys, variety is the spice of life and although each hike may be different, it's not THAT different.

i'm the "possibly another".....pretty much...

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 20:57
I just read in a trail journal (http://www.atthruhiker.org/news.html) from 2004 that Seiko had 13 thru hikes and over 38k AT miles....that's pretty cool...

that's pretty funny :D

Sly
01-13-2010, 21:00
i'm the "possibly another".....pretty much...

You could/can be, but I was thinking of an old timer like Dorothy Laker or Grandma Gatewood? Rambunny tied or beat someone and then went for number four (this time sobo) before being injured or catching Lyme.

Nean
01-13-2010, 21:02
and Grandma....

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 21:06
and Grandma....

....Soule .......

Sly
01-13-2010, 21:08
LW, I didn't realize you were so much of a trail historian. Maybe you chould open a chapter of the Center for Appalachian Trail Studies in Damascus!

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 21:10
LW, I didn't realize you were so much of a trail historian. Maybe you chould open a chapter of the Center for Appalachian Trail Studies in Damascus!

i know lots more than i let on grasshopper

Sly
01-13-2010, 21:13

LOL... I don't doubt it Master Po

jersey joe
01-13-2010, 21:41
Joe:

I don't know the validity of everything I read on the internet...but it seems safe to say he's hiked 5x?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 21:43
I don't know the validity of everything I read on the internet...but it seems safe to say he's hiked 5x?

nobody knows.... all speculation. who cares? really

jersey joe
01-13-2010, 21:46
nobody knows.... all speculation. who cares? really
I thought this thread was about who has hiked the AT five times or more. sorry for being ON topic.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 21:58
I thought this thread was about who has hiked the AT five times or more. sorry for being ON topic.

but nobody really knows. really

saimyoji
01-13-2010, 22:19

but nobody really knows. really

really????? :-?

Hikerhead
01-13-2010, 22:21
I only know Stumpknocker through his trailjournals stuff, which are great reading, but in addition to +5 AT thrus, I think he's done the CDT and the Muir, and he's bicycled across country a couple of times. But maybe his greatest claim to fame is that he's probably eaten more fried chicken and swilled more gallons of coffee than anyone else doing a thru.

I bet he's fell more time than anyone. :)

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 22:32
really????? :-?

absolutely.......

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 22:33

you mean fallen

wakapak
01-13-2010, 22:38
You could/can be, but I was thinking of an old timer like Dorothy Laker or Grandma Gatewood? Rambunny tied or beat someone and then went for number four (this time sobo) before being injured or catching Lyme.

i know you were thinkin of someone else...was just bein a smart***.......:rolleyes:

Hikemor
01-13-2010, 22:51

This is getting too weird. I met Greg "Traveller" Key at the Gorham House hostel in '89. I also met Warren Doyle at an ALDHA gig in '87 or '88.

Maybe the next thread should be "Who has met 5 or more hikers that have thru-hiked 5 or more times?"

Hikerhead
01-13-2010, 23:00
you mean fallen

No, but I thought about it though. I left an s off of time. You missed that one.

stumpknocker
01-13-2010, 23:27

I don't fell more time than anyone. :)

Hikerhead
01-14-2010, 00:31

Youba do.

he message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

stumpknocker
01-14-2010, 07:50
Youba do.

Iba do not!! I fell olny aoubt 7 tiems on a trhu hkie....on avreage. :)

Marta
01-14-2010, 07:51

Yeah, but you achieved a lot of damage with some of those falls.;)

stumpknocker
01-14-2010, 08:25
Yeah, but you achieved a lot of damage with some of those falls.;)

Seems to me that I remember a sobo in Maine in '06 that I thought was using too much mascara on one eye, but turns out it was bruising from a face-plant on some rocks. I thought it was a new fad at first...and I liked it!! :)

Marta
01-14-2010, 08:34
Seems to me that I remember a sobo in Maine in '06 that I thought was using too much mascara on one eye, but turns out it was bruising from a face-plant on some rocks. I thought it was a new fad at first...and I liked it!! :)

You're thinking of my experiment with lip piercing. Note to self: For future piercings use needles instead of rocks.

DavidNH
01-14-2010, 10:19
well I have just one question for this thread: Why? Isn't it about time to seek out another trail after you have done the AT that much?

David

Blue Jay
01-14-2010, 11:45
well I have just one question for this thread: Why? Isn't it about time to seek out another trail after you have done the AT that much?

David

So, David, do you walk you to married men and ask them, "Isn't it about time you make love to another woman?" You've been talking to Tiger Woods again haven't you?

Blue Jay
01-14-2010, 11:53

Wrong Stump breath, you're soooo tall it does take a long time for you to completely hit the ground. Kind of like those videos of a giant sequoia hitting the ground.:banana

Hikerhead
01-14-2010, 13:37

I couldn't make that out but you are still Da Man. BTW, Roanoke has a new all you can eat served home style in a old house like the Homeplace. The chicken ain't as good as the Homeplace though.

Mags
01-14-2010, 14:53
So, David, do you walk you to married men and ask them, "Isn't it about time you make love to another woman?" You've been talking to Tiger Woods again haven't you?

I wouldn't question why a person chooses to remain monogamous .

But I would question why people won't leave their comfort zone for the outdoors when there are so many more mountains to climb, eco systems to explore and
vistas to see.

I loved my time on the Appalachian Trail. The Appalachians are beautiful.

But my life would not be nearly as good if I had not seen the sunrise over Temple Pass in the Winds. Or the miles of uninterrupted trail in the High Sierra. Or the foggy morning on the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Everet Ruess once said "I have been in many beautiful places, and did not wish to taste, but to drink deep."

I'd add that I want to drink deep of many beautiful places and not just one.

YMMV.

Nean
01-14-2010, 15:32

David

I understand why people get locked in on one trail. ;)
Everytime gets easier and more fun than the last.:banana
You aquire status that- admit it or not- strokes ones ego.:o Not keeping that ENTIRE, 30,000m ego in check is the turn off.:(

While I have enjoyed shorter trails and new places and am richer for it, what I really love about backpacking isn't the place- but the lifestyle that a long (2000m) trail affords.:eek:

Too me it's like asking, Why keep hiking when you could ride a bike? or why stay with this girl you love when that girl is easier and more...scenic? or why are we all different? Why ask why?:D

If I had a job or home to consider then I'd take after my hero- Mags.:D

Besides, every year is different regardless- but even more so if you change directions or time of year.... according to my sources!:p

Mountain Dew
01-18-2010, 04:13
Several of the names mentioned as 5x thru-hikers are incorrect. I'm almost 100% sure Heald skip miles on most of his hikes. I personaly saw NoPain skip miles and was told by him that he missed miles and or got off the trail before Mt. K. On several of his hikes. Others that I have seen mentioned have probably lied about miles skipped as thousands of others have.

Do I sound negative ? Not trying to.... Just teeling the facts.

In 2003 I thought that I was odd for going through blowdowns until I met Baltimore Jack... Like Jack, I passed every blaze and inch of the trail. Twice I even back tracked 1.5 miles to do a section I missed.

I'd be more interested in knowing the top 10 hikers in AT miles........

Chaco Taco
01-18-2010, 08:16
I'm almost 100% sure Heald skip miles on most of his hikes. I personaly saw NoPain skip miles and was told by him that he missed miles and or got off the trail before Mt. K. On several of his hikes. Others that I have seen mentioned have probably lied about miles skipped as thousands of others have.

In 2003 I thought that I was odd for going through blowdowns until I met Baltimore Jack... Like Jack, I passed every blaze and inch of the trail. Twice I even back tracked 1.5 miles to do a section I missed.

I'd be more interested in knowing the top 10 hikers in AT miles........

So I guess you are the new AT Police. Gotta love Purist!

max patch
01-18-2010, 12:15
So I guess you are the new AT Police. Gotta love Purist!

The OP asked who has thru hiked the trail 5 times or more. Not who has thru hiked "most" of the trail 5 times or more.