PDA

View Full Version : Recommended weekend section hikes in VA

grrickar
09-05-2004, 14:06
I am temporarily relocating to North VA (DC Metro area) in November. I was planning to try and do some AT section hiking on the weekends, and was looking for suggestions as to sections that may be easily hiked in a weekend. I know it will likely be COLD, but I have the gear so I'm willing to give it a try. Actually this is the third time I have lived near DC, and one year it was very mild well into the winter, while back home (Alabama) we had an ice storm. May not be the case this year. Weather gets weirder each year it seems.

Peaks
09-06-2004, 18:34
Probably the best hiking close to DC is Shenandoah National Park. If you are doing section hikes, then I suggest that you consider doing loops, using the AT as the way back to your car at the end of the weekend. The best parts of SNP are off the AT. The AT runs along the ridge. Much nices along the streams and waterfalls.

A-Train
09-06-2004, 19:21
I'd recommend the Trail in Maryland, for a long weekend trip, or over the course of two weekends. Its for the most part, flat easy walking and the trail is filled with history from the Civil War era. There are lots of shelters and state parks and this section is really a joy to walk. The southern end of Maryland is right near Harpers Ferry, where the ATC office is located. They'd be helpful in setting you up with a shuttle back to your car and HF is easily accessed by train as well. Have fun