PDA

View Full Version : No suggested camping sites?

mumbles mcgee
12-28-2009, 23:30
A little shocked that there's only 1 post in here. Just starting to plan my Thru (as much as one can plan at least) and would love a couple of good tent site suggestions to think about.

I'll start with a question to get the ball rolling...Saw something in Pages for Crabtree Falls Campground around mile 817 (NOBO). I'm sure it's a little on the family-friendly/RV side of things, but FWIW it mentions a waterfall. Any thoughts on this one?

Alligator
12-29-2009, 00:34
There is actually more than one thread in the Campsites forum, you have to go to the thread listing page for Campsites and change your display options on the bottom. Change the from field to something further back like to the beginning:).

Hikerhead
12-29-2009, 01:00
You'll be better off going here. Turn left down the gravel rd just before reaching the ridge line at Spy Rock or about 4 miles(?) before The Priest. It's about a 2 mile walk down the rd. Nice camp store for resupply also.

http://montebellova.com/camping.htm

Dogwood
12-29-2009, 01:53
I made a conscious effort to take in as many waterfalls that I thought were worth it (meaning close to the trail and flowing well on 06 AT thru-hike.

I did take in a Crabtree Falls that I thought was well worth the short deviation(about 3 miles RT from the AT). It had a really neat wooden platform w/ built-in seats right at the base of the falls. The falls, although not flowing with their full spring volume, was a well worth side trip, IMO, and at that time. I only went a very short distance down the blue blaze trail after the falls, but the trail may have continued on or had a spur to a campground.

mweinstone
12-29-2009, 09:56
i was outta there and left my chums at the sign for the sidetrail. i never go that far to see anything. im not interested in falls. i wanna hike.

Spirit Walker
12-29-2009, 13:05
Crabtree Falls in the spring is beautiful. If you aren't doing a purist hike, just follow the trail down to the road and walk back to the AT. The water drops something like 1500' in several beautiful tiers. Definitely worth the detour.

As to the original question - there are thousands of campsites on the AT. Every ridge and every stream has a campsite. As to campgrounds, most thruhikers aren't likely to want to spend money to camp when they can camp in the woods for free. Take a shower, maybe, but generally not pay $15 to camp.

weary
12-29-2009, 13:30
The trail has scores of campsites -- hundreds actually. Every few miles has a shelter with surrounding campsites, as well as official and unofficial places to camp without the intrusion of shelters. Maine has several dozen, either campsites, or shelters with campsites. I know the "100-mile-wilderness" alone has 15. I don't recall any poor campsites in Maine. But two that you especially should not miss are Cooper Brook Falls and the Antler campsites.

If you have an extra day after reaching Katahdin, check on possible space at Chimney Pond in Baxter Park. Chimney Pond is the most spectacular camping spot east of the Rockies.

Weary

weary
12-29-2009, 13:36
i was outta there and left my chums at the sign for the sidetrail. i never go that far to see anything. im not interested in falls. i wanna hike.
Walking to the falls is hiking.

Rick Hancock
12-29-2009, 13:46
It's been sometime (years) since Crabtree Falls has had a large volume of water. At one time it was called "The Best Kept Secret in Virginia". Over the last 6-8 years the winters have been relatively mild, little or no snow. There is a campground appx 1/2 mile away with cabins/tent sites for a fee. This campground is at the base of Crabtree along Rt. 56. There is also a hostel near the trout pond(camping) ? Along Rt 56, you would hike out via the Fireroad near spy Rock/AT. About a 2-3 mile hike out and little chance of a hitch to the Fish Hatchery and Rt. 56. There is a small store and P.O. there. The Hostel is called Dutch Haus (never been there). In my opinion the Falls really aren't worth the effort. If you wanted to hike just to the falls and back to the AT it is about 2-21/2 miles one way down a steep fireroad to the upper trailhead and on to the upper falls.
Good Luck

daylaandjasper
12-29-2009, 17:05
One thing I want to do on this year's thru that I didn't do in 2001 is to camp on tops of mtns more- you have to carry water but its worth it. very often there are flat spots on tops of hills perfect to set up your tent or cowboy camp if there are no bugs. I like shelter life, but its good to get away from the crowd. Obviously on a windy night, the top of the mountain is probably not where you want to be though.

I cowboy camped on the Pinnacle in PA (probably illegal) july 2 ( a tuesday I think) and we saw three 20 min fireworks displays from neighboring towns- it was so cool and totally baffling- why not on the 4th- I could see if it was a weekend, but it wasn't.

Mr. Underhill
01-03-2010, 12:12
Once you start hiking, it's hard to target camp sites if you want to make reasonable time. I usually look for something +/- within my distance for the day.

Lilred
01-03-2010, 12:27
It's been sometime (years) since Crabtree Falls has had a large volume of water. At one time it was called "The Best Kept Secret in Virginia". Over the last 6-8 years the winters have been relatively mild, little or no snow. There is a campground appx 1/2 mile away with cabins/tent sites for a fee. This campground is at the base of Crabtree along Rt. 56. There is also a hostel near the trout pond(camping) ? Along Rt 56, you would hike out via the Fireroad near spy Rock/AT. About a 2-3 mile hike out and little chance of a hitch to the Fish Hatchery and Rt. 56. There is a small store and P.O. there. The Hostel is called Dutch Haus (never been there). In my opinion the Falls really aren't worth the effort. If you wanted to hike just to the falls and back to the AT it is about 2-21/2 miles one way down a steep fireroad to the upper trailhead and on to the upper falls.
Good Luck

I stayed at the Dutch Haus and it is very nice. They serve free lunches to hikers every day and will pick you up at the service rd at 11am. then drive you back to the trail. Very nice people, very nice place. Among my must stops when and if I ever through hike. Spy Rock is just north of that service Rd., and is great camping. It's dry up there though, so pack in your water. Call the B&B for exact time and place they pick up. It's a short walk to get off of private roads to the pick up point.

Graywolf
01-04-2010, 02:43
Walking to the falls is hiking.

Hey, don't say that, we don't want to give away our secret to having fun!!

Blissful
01-04-2010, 20:11
I'd skip the falls if its been dry, personally. But if its been wet, it's a great sight.

mumbles mcgee
01-05-2010, 19:43
Alligator.. Thanks for the advice. Thought it was a bit strange that nobody was commenting on campsites :)

Thanks for the rest of the advice from everyone else as well. We'll see if I can make it there without ruining my mileage for the day.