PDA

View Full Version : Pack Recommendation

kiteskimo
12-28-2009, 23:41
I know, these kinda posts suck, but i need some advice.

I'm currently planning an thru hike of the AT and basically have 3 pack options in mind...
the Granite Gear Vapor Ki, ULA Circut (or conduit if my stuff will fit), or the Golite Pinnacle.
Does anyone have any advice on these packs? I'm unsure about the choice, because they all seem to be really excellent packs.

If this helps, this is probably what I will be carrying: Henry Shires Contrail, Western Mounatineering Highlite (with liner), Jet Boil, and Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite.
TTHHHANKKSs

Bags4266
12-29-2009, 00:20
When I bought my pack I was between two of your three. Pinnacle and the ULA Circut. I bought the Pinnacle for a great price online and love it. However I would of probally bought the ULA but they close down their shop when I was looking to buy. Not great business practice but to each there own. ULA are very popular and from what people say they are well made aswell.

skinewmexico
12-29-2009, 00:31
Get the aluminum stay, and the Circuit will still be comfortable when you overload it. Unlike the Pinnacle.

paintplongo
12-29-2009, 01:11
When I bought my pack I was between two of your three. Pinnacle and the ULA Circut. I bought the Pinnacle for a great price online and love it. However I would of probally bought the ULA but they close down their shop when I was looking to buy. Not great business practice but to each there own. ULA are very popular and from what people say they are well made aswell.

They closed it down, because the ownership was changing hands and they were moving to a larger facility. I don't think you can hold that against them as a company.

skinewmexico
12-29-2009, 01:58
They closed it down, because the ownership was changing hands and they were moving to a larger facility. I don't think you can hold that against them as a company.

Actually, they had closed down every for 3 months year in the fall, so the owner could go thru hike. I like to think of it as "market research". I've wondered that if Brian hadn't broken his tib-fib while cacheing water for a hike if he would have been around to finalize the sale.

kiteskimo
12-29-2009, 12:36
When I bought my pack I was between two of your three. Pinnacle and the ULA Circut. I bought the Pinnacle for a great price online and love it.

Did the pinnacle fall apart on you during your thru? Thats just what I've heard from others. Also, how was the hipbelt? Some have said it gave them bruises. Thanks for the infoos.

toenail
12-29-2009, 14:10
I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail that I really like. I am 6' 175lbs, size regular fits fine. It DOESNT work well with nalgene bottles in the side pockets, because of the compression straps. But if you use a platypus, you will love it. Easily supports 30lbs. A great thru-hiking pack. Good luck.

Deadeye
12-29-2009, 14:21
I have a Granite Gear Vapor Trail that I really like. I am 6' 175lbs, size regular fits fine. It DOESNT work well with nalgene bottles in the side pockets, because of the compression straps. But if you use a platypus, you will love it. Easily supports 30lbs. A great thru-hiking pack. Good luck.

Another example of "to each his own" I have GG packs, and I keep bottles in the side pockets just fine - I don't buckle the strap over the pocket, that's all. GG packs are rock-solid and comfortable, hard to go wrong with one.

Alligator
12-29-2009, 14:33
Nice thing about the Vapor Ki over a Vapor Trail is the extra set of pockets on the side. Conduit is a nice pack too. The Conduit is frameless so that's somewhat of a consideration vs. the KI (Offhand I think the Circ uit might be too but I don't know for sure). I switched out of a Vapor Trial and ended up with a Conduit and I am happy with the change. My Conduit is too small for me though for 4-5 days, maybe if you have no bulky items whatsover. I have a synthetic quilt and Frogg Toggs that take up some space.

Mr. Underhill
12-29-2009, 21:37
I've had a few different packs and like the Kelty Haiku that I use now. Lightweight with comfortable hip belt, internal frame and good loadlifters. I tried a lightweight pack with no real frame and loadlifters and too much of the weight ended up on my shoulders.

skinewmexico
12-30-2009, 00:13
If you don't have ultralight gear, don't buy an ultralight frameless pack.......like a Pinnacle. If you really need that volume, your gear is way too heavy. Good for high volume lightweight stuff though....under 25#.

paintplongo
12-30-2009, 23:01
The circuit is the best all around ultralight thru hiking pack. It has all the support and features you need and is extremely durable. You could buy one that's a little cheaper and lighter, but won't be of the quality.

skinewmexico
12-30-2009, 23:40
Love my Circuit. As light as your gear is (except for the jetboil), you could probably use a Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

300winmag
03-08-2010, 02:50
At least you're looking at light packs and light gear. THAT'S the route to take in 3 season backpacking.

My only suggestion is to get a pack with internal stays - stays, not a frame sheet.

*** No "frameless" pack is comfortable when packed with more than 15 lbs. Don't ask me how I know this. Believe me, the tiny weight of two internal frames is not nearly as noticable as the discomfort of a frameless pack. And this is packmacker Osprey's motto.

Eric

gumball
03-08-2010, 06:18
I've used the Vapor Ki since it came out several years ago and have hundreds of miles on it with no complaints. I'll be looking to replace it with the another if it wears out on me.

JAK
03-08-2010, 07:38
For 20 pounds, you can go with higher volume to make it easier to pack.
For 30 pounds, you have to look for ways to keep the volume down.

I really think you have to do more than try on packs in stores. You have to test them out over several miles of real terrain conditions, including difficult and at times treacherous terrain. If people did this they would most likely buy lighter and smaller packs.

UL packs can actually be larger though, as long as you keep them light.

JAK
03-08-2010, 07:42
When I say keep the volume down, I really mean closer to your back.
Not so important for 20 pounds. Very important for 30 pounds.

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 10:59
ULA is a great pack i have been seein alot of people on trail with ULA i have one and no one ive tlkd to disliked their ULA pack.

Praha4
03-08-2010, 13:00
using a WM Highlite bag? I also have that bag for a summer bag, think it will be too cold to use in early spring or fall.

JAK
03-08-2010, 17:28
How much of the time will you be pushing 30 pounds?
How much of the time will you be closer to 20 pounds?

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:59
If you don't mind a pack that does not have a sleeping bag compartment, consider the Gregory Z 65. Lots of nice features. I'd stay away from the ones that offer the lid that converts to a day pack. You never use this feature but still have to carry around the built in belt that comes attached to it for your waist. The newer Arcteryx Altra 75 is a killer pack and zips open like a suitcase, but a bit heavy at 5 or so pounds.

skinewmexico
03-31-2010, 23:03
The Z65 is heavy compared to what the OP mentioned so long ago.