PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag

CTGuy
12-29-2009, 00:21
I just got the Eno singlenest hammock was planning on hiking the CT/ and or NY section of the AT this winter. I don't have the money to spend on an under quilt or the peapod so was planning on using some of those cheap blue walmart mats or some other kind of pads for insulation. My question is will a 0 degree sleeping bag be warm enough or would i be better to go with a -15 degree bag? Would prefer not to carry the extra weight for a warmer one if i don't need to. This is the -15 degree one i had in mind. http://http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___44240
These are the 0 degree ones i was also looking at, but like I said Im not sure if they will be warm enough. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___45758 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43873and
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43120

Ghosthiker
12-29-2009, 07:17
If your 0 bag would do you fine in a tent, it should work in the hammock. Just make sure you insulate well underneath you. Try it out in your yard one night, where if it fails you, it's easy to bail.

russb
12-29-2009, 07:36
If your 0 bag would do you fine in a tent, it should work in the hammock. Just make sure you insulate well underneath you. Try it out in your yard one night, where if it fails you, it's easy to bail.

What he said.

If you find you need more insulation, a second bluepad might be all that is necessary (a section laid widthwise from butt to shoulder will help with the sides. Another trick is to hang a poncho under the hammock. I have found this adds considerable warmth. I carry it anyway, so it is multi use. Can also be a ground cloth if I need to use the ground. Be sure yo have a larger tarp to block the wind. It is the convection which makes the hammocks cooler, minimize it and you stay warmer.

CTGuy
12-29-2009, 10:41
Cool thanks alot! My plan is to also use one of those all weather spaces blanket.

sasquatch2014
12-29-2009, 13:15
Cool thanks alot! My plan is to also use one of those all weather spaces blanket.

Except in emergency they suck otherwise. Very noisy and they are also a vapor barrier so you will trap all your moisture which when finally exposed to the cold air will rob you of heat very quickly.

Block the wind and trap a layer of air and you will be good with a zero. I know of people who have hung very low and pilled leaves or for that matter even snow if the temps are much lower than freezing if they don't have an underquilt or a hammock that does not require one like the Clark.

Try it out at home first and then go to the trail. You want a real test go and sleep out tonight. Cold temps forecast for the area with very high winds.

CTGuy
12-29-2009, 15:19
I'm planning on getting the Speer Winter Tarp as well will that work with the singlenest?

Just Jeff
12-30-2009, 00:12
CT Guy - if you're going to use pads, check out the SPE at www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com). Definitely worth the investment if you're gonna be wrestling a pad in a hammock. It'll keep your sides and shoulders warm.

The Speer Winter Tarp will work with an ENO.

Check here for some newbie info on hammocking.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

Tinker
12-30-2009, 00:17
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38474&catid=member&imageuser=2502

I use this in the winter. The Speer should work, too. If your hammock's longer than 8.5 feet the ends might get wet using my setup. I use a short hammock.

Tinker
12-30-2009, 00:20
This is what's inside the tarp :
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502
I've camped in temps down to 5 degrees. Any lower and I might have to use a summer bag (Montbell Ulap down thermal sheets, in my case) and maybe more clothing. I use a hot water bottle for a little extra warmth.

Connie
12-30-2009, 23:08
Tinker,

The GoLite Featherlite in the photo is a 40 F sleeping bag.

You have camped down to 5 F in that sleeping bag, as depicted in that photo?

Is it that much warmer because you are not compressing the down underneath you?

Is adding the tarp like that, that much a benefit?

Did I misunderstand: you used a different insulation for the 5 F?

answer: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=942373

bobbyw
01-08-2010, 21:41
BUY A FREAKING UNDERQUILT AND A REAL HAMMOCK before spending a whole LOAD of money on a sleeping bag that's too warm, but compresses under your body, and a tarp that's super-overkill.

for the same price you could get:
a hennesey or warbonnet hammock (substitute stock fly for heavier, bigger one (free from hennessey))
buy or make an underquilt that would weigh less than a sleeping pad
if you are hard set on a sleeping pad, get a WIDE one. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

a 15 degree bag

Just Jeff
01-14-2010, 01:55
You got an underquilt that weighs less than a CCF pad for the same temp? Which one?

Spogatz
01-14-2010, 11:44
2 WallyWorld pads overlapped in the middle provide a good bit of protection from the cold. I use a synthetic bag and it doesn't compress as much under me as down on the bottom side so I can get down pretty far with my setup.

tammons
01-16-2010, 19:00
I just did a 15dF hang with CCF pads and a garlington taco type bottom.
One full length CCF pad and 2 1/2 CCF pads sideways overlapped over the full length pad. That said, my feet came off the full length pad so I dont think I even needed it, IE 2 1/2 length pads would probably have been good enough.

I was warm as toast.

Before I get too deep in my comments, I will say this. CCF pads inside a hammock are a PIA in my opinion if you move around. I agree with above and get a UQ, but if you dont have the $ the setup below works and is super cheap with some drawbacks.

The test setup was, golite 20dF ultra 20 quilt, CCF pads, MYOG hammock, Garlington under, 10x12 tarp. The CCF pads were inside the hammock.

BTW, You can get a 10x12 silnylon tarp from campmor for $90 at 19oz, 8x10 for less and its very light like 12 oz I think. If you dont care about it being light you can get a poly tarp for less than $12 that weighs less than 2#.

With a 10x12 tarp, it is big enough to go down to the ground and set up like an aframe tent for storm mode. Set up normally it is huge and create a nice living space.

If you expect 0dF weather max, an honestly rated 0dF bag will work if you have enough under insulation.

I went to bed in my rig in heavy johns, heavy socks and a bomber style down hat. I also started off in a golite salsa jacket. That lasted about 20 minutes then I was burning up. I carry a modded medical emergency bivy also as an extender. The 7oz one that is more like cloth. It alone is supposed to be good for 50dF. It should extend a bag 10-15dF by itself. I have no doubt that setup could have gone lower like to 0dF. Downside is its a VBL, but I modded it so I could fully open up the foot area.

The garlington for this rig was made from a campmor silnylon extended poncho that wrapped all the way up the sides with 2 garbage bags filled with space blankets. Also had my insulated jacket in there.

I was warm as toast but I had a lot of condensation in my top quilt by early the next morning, mostly due to the non breathable bottom and CCF pads.

My plan is now to try it with or a driducks poncho for the garlington bottom, filled garbage bags or tyvek bags, etc, and perforated CCF pads between the hammock layers. Perforated by me probably 1/4" holes at 2" oc.

I want to still use 2 sideways and they will go into a new 2 layer MYOG Asym hammock I am putting together similar to the risk hammock.

The pads will go between the layers of the hammock and eliminate some of the slipping around and bunching up when I move.
Will have amsteel suspension and tree huggers. Should weigh about 16 oz without a net.

I know there will be some heat loss from the perforations, but my thinking is that the heat loss will go into the garlington bottom area when that is used in colder weather and not be so much of a loss straight to atmosphere.

Eventually I will buy or build a UQ, but the garlington under insul is a good piece of gear to know how to use if you ever have a problem and its easy and cheap.

Tinker
01-16-2010, 20:12
Something I was thinking about before I hit upon my overbag setup was getting a second hammock, a cheapo, hanging that below the one I sleep in, and putting some polyester batting between the two for warmth. An underquilt with no cutting or sewing (except for the batting).

tammons
01-16-2010, 20:26
Regular polyester batting is pretty heavy. Not that cheap either for the good stuff from Joanns.

Climasheild would be better.

Only downside I can see with what you are describing is you you would eventually get twigs and trash in the batting.

I think it would be better to just use 1 oz ripstop on ea side.
It would weigh about 5-6 oz and just get somebody to sew it up for you.
I got something like 15 yards of 1 oz ripstop at wally world for $1.50 a yard not too long ago.

Also you dont have to quilt Climasheild. You just sew it on the edges.

Another thing that might work as double duty would be a breathable poncho like a driducks or extended tyvek, with a poncho liner and use that entire rig as your bottom insul. Thick enough for an UQ would probably be too thick for wearing everyday.

Something I was thinking about before I hit upon my overbag setup was getting a second hammock, a cheapo, hanging that below the one I sleep in, and putting some polyester batting between the two for warmth. An underquilt with no cutting or sewing (except for the batting).

Tinker
01-16-2010, 20:30
Theoretically, since the bottom of the hammock itself would protect the polyester, you shouldn't need an upper shell for the underquilt. Edge stitch it and it should be good - Climashield or any other type of batting.

RichardD
01-16-2010, 23:18
Am I reading correctly that you plan on Winter hiking the Colorado Trail? (CT) That is serious expedition hiking in the Winter, wind chills in the negative 50 range and serious routefinding through very deep snow. I can't imagine where you would hang your hammock on the Cataract ridge section. Perhaps Mags needs to chime in, he knows it far better than most.
Or perhaps I misunderstand your post and you are talking about a different trail.

RichardD
01-16-2010, 23:33
OK. on re reading I guess you mean the Connecticut section of the AT and not the Colorado trail, quite a different proposition!

mak52580
01-17-2010, 01:25
BUY A FREAKING UNDERQUILT AND A REAL HAMMOCK before spending a whole LOAD of money on a sleeping bag that's too warm, but compresses under your body, and a tarp that's super-overkill.

for the same price you could get:
a hennesey or warbonnet hammock (substitute stock fly for heavier, bigger one (free from hennessey))
buy or make an underquilt that would weigh less than a sleeping pad
if you are hard set on a sleeping pad, get a WIDE one. http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/thinlight.html

a 15 degree bag

I was going to suggest the same thing. Invest in a good hammock and UQ upfront and the sleeping bag you have on top of you would be fine with what you have now. I also use the wide Gossamer Gear Thinlight and love it. It's much wider, longer and slightly lighter (I think) than the Walmart CCFs.

Marmotnj
01-30-2010, 01:29
low teens with a hennessy expedition, JRB underquilt, marmot 0 degree bag, full stomach and a hot water bottle, it was very cozy.

CTGuy
01-30-2010, 21:24
Thanks for your advice everyone. Why do you guys dislike the eno and are telling me to get a real hammock? The eno seems great to me. I got the thing with a gift certificate, chose it over the hennessey because I heard people say it was more comfortable and thought it seemed more simple, and overall better for the money, and i got the speer winter tarp for it and it seem pretty awesome to me, very simple to set up, very comfortable, and lightweight. I know that the wabbonett and hennesey have pockets and little things like that, but for some one like me that doesn't really care about that, how are they better? Also are they much more difficult to setup? Because that is a big problem for me. Had enough trouble understanding how to set up a tarp. haha

Just Jeff
01-31-2010, 00:59
Lots of people love ENO hammocks. The biggest difference is the lack of a bug net, but if you're ok with that, and you're comfortable in the ENO, have fun with what you have!

Re: setup, hammocks are mostly all the same b/c the suspension is interchangeable. Just don't get ENO's Slap Straps b/c they're made of nylon, which stretches. As long as you have some sort of low-stretch cord or webbing, it's good. Lots of folks change the Hennessy cord to webbing, and with the Warbonnet you get a choice. Just be sure to use tree huggers if you use cord.

Bags4266
01-31-2010, 20:10
Thanks for your advice everyone. Why do you guys dislike the eno and are telling me to get a real hammock? The eno seems great to me. I got the thing with a gift certificate, chose it over the hennessey because I heard people say it was more comfortable and thought it seemed more simple, and overall better for the money, and i got the speer winter tarp for it and it seem pretty awesome to me, very simple to set up, very comfortable, and lightweight. I know that the wabbonett and hennesey have pockets and little things like that, but for some one like me that doesn't really care about that, how are they better? Also are they much more difficult to setup? Because that is a big problem for me. Had enough trouble understanding how to set up a tarp. haha

Well, don't you know that everyone's setup is better than your's! My truck is bigger than your's! And of course my winky is bigger than anyone's!!!
Use the great advise and do what works for you!

Snowleopard
01-31-2010, 20:47
Try it out in your back yard. You're not far from the AT in CT. It's averages colder along the AT in CT than Collinsville, but probably only by a couple to ten degrees.

If you're willing to check forecasts and not go on the coldest days, a 0F bag would probably be OK (in a tent, I don't have experience on hammocks). Try it out in your back yard on a cold night.

If it looks likely to be icy, consider Kahtoola microspikes. If there's a lot of snow before you go consider renting snowshoes.

sasquatch2014
01-31-2010, 23:33
Try it out in your back yard. You're not far from the AT in CT. It's averages colder along the AT in CT than Collinsville, but probably only by a couple to ten degrees.

If you're willing to check forecasts and not go on the coldest days, a 0F bag would probably be OK (in a tent, I don't have experience on hammocks). Try it out in your back yard on a cold night.

If it looks likely to be icy, consider Kahtoola microspikes. If there's a lot of snow before you go consider renting snowshoes.

Hell give me a Shout and we can hang ou together if you want. I just got back from 5 nights down in Pa for the Ruck and a hike. Was a bit chilly a few nights hung in my hammock all nights except one. No UQ used with mine because I use a Clark NA. Just play with it and find what works for you it's not that long a learning curve. After all your just sleeping and hiking is just walking. Walk long enough and your will be tired enough to sleep like the dead.

Cannibal
02-04-2010, 22:40
Love my ENO hammocks. Very comfortable to sleep in, or to just lounge around camp in. I always take at least one extra hammock when we car camp. 99% of the time it's an ENO. I take it for something to just sit in and the occasional mid-day nap.

When my GF joined me for a few hundred miles on my AT hike, she used a TrekLight the entire time. The TrekLights are the same exact hammock as the ENOs.

Don't let people get to you. You've got a very good hammock that is easily added to if you so desire (bug net, ridgeline, etc.). :cool:

Tinker
02-05-2010, 00:08
I'll take a top entry hammock any day before a Hennessy.
I had one.
I used it.
I tried a top entry.
I sold the Hennessy.
Use a bug net with your ENO.
Don't get it from ENO though,
get it from Warbonnet. It's much lighter.

Tinker
02-05-2010, 00:10
Oh, yeah, by the way, I got stung through the bottom of my Hennessy once. It's very unlikely it could happen with a top entry covered by a bug net.

KnittingMelissa
02-10-2010, 00:42
Another trick is to hang a poncho under the hammock.

How do you do this? I know it's supposed to help with the cold, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hang a regular poncho beneath a hammock. Although I think half of it is that my brain is currently fried from studying. :(

tammons
02-10-2010, 01:05
My last hang was at 14dF with a poncho below/garlington type setup.

The one I used was a campmor extended poncho/tarp and has tieouts at 3 places on the ends. Looped some cord though and tied it off to the suspension.

It worked and I stayed warm with the addition of some CCF pads, but had a lot of condensation. It would be best to use a driducks breathable poncho. You would just need to hem the edge/or open it up if hemmed (cant remember) for a cord.

KnittingMelissa
02-10-2010, 01:32
Would a poncho with a weight in the hole in the middle work? I would imagine that the head hole, if weighted down (rock in the hood or something) would pull toward the middle, and let the condensation drip down and off without soaking the person.

Of course, that's silly logic talking (caffeine adds nothing to helping the brain pan work).

tammons
02-10-2010, 01:44
Although slightly damp feeling the next morning I did not have any condensation on the bottom. Most of it went straight up into my bag.

I think it was more because the poncho wrapped all the way up the sides of my hammock and I was using CCF pads underneath. I probably would have had more condensation below without the pads, but it was way to cold not to use pads.