PDA

View Full Version : Hand Held GPS

philly
12-29-2009, 10:56
Hey im looking to cash in a few REI gift cards that I got for Christmas any recommendations?

The only thing is that I gotta have one that I can use with a Mac.

Thanks

Philly

Alligator
12-29-2009, 11:14
You could probably get a better price on a GPS outside of REI. I've been planning on buying one for a few months now and the couple that I have looked at have been much higher in price at REI whenever I've checked. Just mentioning it, maybe you have another big ticket item you are interested in as well.

That being said if I'd have had another $100 in gift cards I might have gotten the PN-40 instead of the full price hat I've been eyeing up for nearly a year:D. (Plus a few other things.) Not sure about the Mac compatibility.

white_russian
12-29-2009, 11:54
You could probably get a better price on a GPS outside of REI. I've been planning on buying one for a few months now and the couple that I have looked at have been much higher in price at REI whenever I've checked.
If you just wait until they have one of their 20% off members only coupons then you can still get a GPS from REI at a decent rate compared to the rest of the market (and you get the 100% guarantee as well). Without the coupon it is not really worth it though. The PN-40 and 60CSX both would go for about $280 after that coupon. Google Products is showing 207.89 for the PN-40 and $289 for the 60CSX. Me, I have had my eye on the 60CSX so I could actually do better buying through REI.

Alligator
12-29-2009, 13:13
If you just wait until they have one of their 20% off members only coupons then you can still get a GPS from REI at a decent rate compared to the rest of the market (and you get the 100% guarantee as well). Without the coupon it is not really worth it though. The PN-40 and 60CSX both would go for about $280 after that coupon. Google Products is showing 207.89 for the PN-40 and $289 for the 60CSX. Me, I have had my eye on the 60CSX so I could actually do better buying through REI.That's funny, those are the two I have been interested in. I'm pretty sure I will go with the PN-40 as it has the software bundled.

I forget if the coupon includes/excludes GPS units. The 60CSX though is $350 and I think it has been that price for a while. It was one of the factors that made me consider a different model. I'm trying to keep the price at about $200-240. Definitely nice though to have the 100% guarantee on an electronic item. I really would like to buy one from there but the price doesn't come close enough for me.

As someone else mentioned, I too am waiting for the tax return fairy so I hope that the PN40 price stays level for just a few more weeks.

redseal
12-29-2009, 13:20
I have the 60CSX and love it. I bought it from REI about 1 year ago. They were having a sale. For $300 you got the gps, belt clip, storage bag, and mapping software. I'm not sure if they still offer that sale, but maybe it would be worth it to wait and see. I am not sure if it is MAC compatible though.

Alligator
12-29-2009, 13:32
I have the 60CSX and love it. I bought it from REI about 1 year ago. They were having a sale. For $300 you got the gps, belt clip, storage bag, and mapping software. I'm not sure if they still offer that sale, but maybe it would be worth it to wait and see. I am not sure if it is MAC compatible though.I think it was the winter clearance sale or around member refund time, FEB/MAR? That was about when I first got interested in that one. Then the price went up:(. They may have had a $50 rebate for a limited time as well. $300 with the software is a good deal IMO.

The Old Fhart
12-29-2009, 13:54
If you're considering the PN40, check out the new PN30. The difference is the PN30 doesn't have the flux-gate real time compass or the barometer and is about $100 cheaper than the PN40. I've got emails from Delorme saying the PN30 is on sale to preferred customers for $199. Here is a comparison (http://www.delorme.com/library/hardware/PN40/Product_Information/PN-SeriesComparisonChart.pdf).

58starter
12-29-2009, 15:19
I got the PN 40 for Christmas. Wife got it from Amazon.com. I love both, my wife, and the PN 40

philly
12-30-2009, 16:11
just back from REI. I got the PN-40 it was 349.00. in the spring i will have my dividend, for that item will be about 35 bucks and on top of that it came with a 50.00 rebate from DeLorme, bringing my cost of the unit to 264.00 not to bad.

philly
12-31-2009, 18:52
[QUOTE=philly;941579]just back from REI. I got the PN-40 it was 349.00. in the spring i will have my dividend, for that item will be about 35 bucks and on top of that it came with a 50.00 rebate from DeLorme, bringing my cost of the unit to 264.00 not to bad.[/QUOTE

Ok the PN-40 is going back to REI, I was told that I can use Topo 8.0 with my Mac, it even said that I can use a Mac on the box....Well I can I just need to buy Bootcamp and the Windows. The whole reason I wanted a Mac is I dont like windows....so its going back.

That said I am going with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx, or the Garmin Dakota 20 GPS.

Any help I can get from you guys would be great!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

SunnyWalker
04-08-2010, 22:13
Get off the Garmin!!!!!!!!! There ARE other gps units that are great and fine!