PDA

View Full Version : Shelters with a View?

Zoooma
12-29-2009, 16:18
Which shelters on the trail have a great view?

Particularly nice at sunset or sunrise or at any old time at all?

Some pics I saw from Kid Gore in Vermont looked pretty cool.

Any others?

Jeff
12-29-2009, 16:22
Kid Gore is great!! So is the nearby Goddard Shelter on Glastenbury.

Loved Riga Lean-To in CT as well.

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-29-2009, 16:34
Overmountain shelter has a nice view of the valley below.

emerald
12-29-2009, 16:35
Eagles Nest Shelter, Weiser State Forest, PA. Vista facing north, 0.05 on blue-blaze from shelter. No sunrise or sunset.

Shikellamy Summit, on AT 0.3 south of Hertlein Campsite, PA. Likely sunrise and sunset.

501 Shelter (Kimmel Lookout), PA. Rock outcrop facing south about 0.2 south on AT. Better than previous location.

Many others not near shelters requiring night hiking to be there at sunup or after sunset to reach a legal or otherwise suitable campsite.

Rain Man
12-29-2009, 16:37
Overmountain.

Thomas Knob.

Vanderventer.

Some that come to mind in the South where I've hiked so far.

Rain:sunMan

sasquatch2014
12-29-2009, 16:39
a bit off the trail and need to pack water but if it is clear great view of NYC from West Mountain shelter.

Shutterbug
12-29-2009, 16:58

Any others?

There is no shelter, but the Antler's tent site in Maine has a great view. It is great for sunrise.

Here is a link to a picture of it: http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/100MileWilderness2005#5415190063567740210

Zoooma
12-29-2009, 17:13
a bit off the trail and need to pack water but if it is clear great view of NYC from West Mountain shelter.

Some folks might dig that.

In suburban NJ, about 20 miles northwest of midtown Manhattan, I grew up with a view of NYC literally from my backyard. Always beautiful on a clear night. I don't get back often enough so I might check this one out for sure.

** If anyone has any pics to post of this or others, that'd be sweet!

Jester2000
12-29-2009, 17:46
Moonrise from Riga Shelter. Spectacular.

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 17:51
There is no shelter, but the Antler's tent site in Maine has a great view. It is great for sunrise.

Here is a link to a picture of it: http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/100MileWilderness2005#5415190063567740210

Antler's is about as pretty as it gets for tentsites. . . .:)

warraghiyagey
12-29-2009, 17:52
Pierce Pond is pretty sweet if you don't mind looking out over the Loons swimming and calling as the sun sets over the water. . . . :)

BobTheBuilder
12-29-2009, 17:58
The privy at Hawk Mountain shelter, at sunrise. Very moving.

white_russian
12-29-2009, 18:10
Beaver Brook Shelter just north of the mountain just north of Moosilauke is good all day.

Blood Mtn, particularly at sunset.

white_russian
12-29-2009, 18:10
The privy at Hawk Mountain shelter, at sunrise. Very moving.
You are talking about the old privy right?

srestrepo
12-29-2009, 18:14
you can't really tent there but i went in the october to Upper goose pond in MA and i hammocked right on the pond practically.

the sunset was very pretty there... you can just sit on the dock and not be all anti LNT like i was that morning. any way here's the view.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37872&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=20826&cutoffdate=-1

Zoooma
12-29-2009, 18:27
you can't really tent there but i went in the october to Upper goose pond in MA and i hammocked right on the pond practically.

the sunset was very pretty there... you can just sit on the dock and not be all anti LNT like i was that morning. any way here's the view.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=37872&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=20826&cutoffdate=-1

Wow. That's worth a stop. I was kinda planning to go from Kay Wood Lean-to (before Upper Goose Pond) to Lee, Mass (going SOBO in the Fall.) There's a cabin at Upper Goose Pond but it won't be open when I'll be there. I did see some pics of people tenting there. I might have to rethink my time in that area to stop in for the night so's I can see that sunset!

white_russian
12-29-2009, 18:40
Wow. That's worth a stop. I was kinda planning to go from Kay Wood Lean-to (before Upper Goose Pond) to Lee, Mass (going SOBO in the Fall.) There's a cabin at Upper Goose Pond but it won't be open when I'll be there. I did see some pics of people tenting there. I might have to rethink my time in that area to stop in for the night so's I can see that sunset!
It is hilarious that you have a day by day plan for all the way in Massachusetts.

Connie
12-29-2009, 21:02
It sounds good to me. I would hate to do the hike and hear about the pretty spots I missed.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2009, 21:06

Any others?

there are tons more campin' sites with views. avoid shelters

Canada Goose
12-29-2009, 21:59

I have experienced karmic bliss twice by camping on Cheoah Bald; once in springtime and once in the fall. Much better views than I've had at shelters.

Another time I spent a serene, peaceful, evening on a hill in Vermont overlooking the Connecticutt river valley.

Camping exposes your senses in a way that you won't find at shelters.

I will say that shelters are very convienient, and much appreciated, in foul weather!

1Pint
12-29-2009, 22:06
Overmountain.

Thomas Knob.

Vanderventer.

Some that come to mind in the South where I've hiked so far.

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man - Are you sure about Vanderventer? As I remember it, that shelter is dark and faces away from the view (over the rocks and out over the valley), and instead just faces the typical scrub/green foliage of the trail.

Lugnut
12-29-2009, 22:11
You have to go out back. Same with Thomas Knob but worth going around for.

scope
12-29-2009, 22:15
If we're not talking just about shelters, then Siler Bald is sweet, but not the shelter nearly a mile down the mountain. (not the one in GSMNP)

1Pint
12-29-2009, 22:21
You have to go out back. Same with Thomas Knob but worth going around for.

Well, ****, Lugnut... if we're not talking about shelters with a view, why the heck are we in the thread called "shelters with a view'? Where's the shelters near a view (also called shelters located on or near the AT) thread?

:D

Painted Turtle
12-29-2009, 22:30
Hard to pick just one, but Pierce Pond was already mentioned and all good reasons (there is also the Blueberry pancakes) so let me mention Carlo Col Shelter.

adamkrz
12-29-2009, 22:43
The tent platform in front of the Tom Leonard shelter in Mass, is one of my favorites.

Tinker
12-29-2009, 22:53
Gentian Pond, Maine :http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23259&c=653
As far as views, I, personally, enjoyed the view in front of Cooper Brook Falls shelter in the Hundred Mile Wilderness, but mainly because you could look out onto your personal swimming hole.

Zoooma
12-30-2009, 01:27
It is hilarious that you have a day by day plan for all the way in Massachusetts.

It's not exact; it's just a rough outline. I don't want to have any schedule except to know I will start on exactly September 23 and finish on exactly the first full day of Spring. I'm just tryin' to figure out ahead of time how many days I can just do a few miles and how many zero days I can have so's I don't finish way ahead of my Finish date.

No. If I wanted Campin' Sites with a View, I'd've posted in the campsites sub-forum. This thread is to benefit the great number of people who want to stay in shelters during their hike. It's obvious -- there are many. Shelters don't need to be for your hike but whether you approve or not, they are a part of the AT.

I'll be hikin' when the trail will be mostly empty and so's I'm hopin' to have plenty of shelters to myself. Since no one stays at every single shelter, it might be cool to know which have a particularly nice view.

Thanks for all the input so far! :)

nopain
12-30-2009, 06:40
ED Garvey in late fall,winter and early spring...Annapolis Rocks campsite......they both are in Md.

Jim Adams
12-30-2009, 10:12
Haven't been back since 2002 so it may have changed but Chairback always had a nice view when I was there.

geek

Ender
12-30-2009, 10:57
West Mountain Shelter in NY has fantastic views... Hudson River and the lights of NYC far in the distance. Spent a night there once watching a lightning storm pass south of us. It was amazing.

Riga Lean-To in CT is really nice.

Goddard Shelter is another fave.

CrumbSnatcher
12-30-2009, 11:19
Moonrise from Riga Shelter. Spectacular.
stayed here once. great views,but ever since, i like to roll past this shelter to the next one (brassie brook shelter- i believe) its always been empty,good tenting. and i like sleeping next to the water source the sound of water puts me to sleep! i always like tenting next to creeks & rivers. camping in sages ravine is cool.
over mtn. shelter
goddard shelter
tray mtn shelter
vandeventer shelter
partnership shelter has a great view of the trail leading to the pizza payphone!

canoehead
12-30-2009, 18:18
Riga shelter in CT

Manwich
12-30-2009, 18:27
Snapped this pic at Cooper Lodge, late July 2009.

Small Version (http://imgur.com/FrSrDl.jpg)

BIG Version (http://imgur.com/FrSrD.jpg)

sheepdog
12-30-2009, 19:58
Ice water springs

Gray Blazer
12-30-2009, 20:27
Behind the shelter in the corner of a roundabout a pretty nurse is selling poppies from a tray.

I've been wanting to say that.

Erin
12-30-2009, 21:46
We tented but Little Laurel. between Jerry Cabin and Hot Springs. It also seemed like a nice shelter. Huge, stone, wide open view.

Doctari
12-31-2009, 07:58
I assume the "view from a shelter" to be inside or at least in front of.
I liked the views from Old Orchard, Mountaineer falls & Over Mountain shelters. From the Fontana Hilton was,,, ok. See one man made lake, you have seen them all.

Behind Vandeventer shelter the view is Awesome!
Privy view? My favorite has to be from the Wise shelter privy. Although I did get to see a Huey fly by at eye level, loaded with Ranger trainees, while "donating" at the Hawk Mt privy in 91. Yes, I waved! :p

sasquatch2014
12-31-2009, 11:51
If you are during the time when the fireflys are around the Ten Mile River Shelter in Ct is nice it has a large field in the front and is at the confluence of the Ten Mile River and the Housatonic. At night the field is full of fireflys and they put on a good show.

emerald
12-31-2009, 12:05

Just thought I'd repeat post #1 since what was asked seems to be evolving into something else. I may be unusual, but I don't get much out of a nearby vista when I'm asleep.

Zoooma
12-31-2009, 14:19
Just thought I'd repeat post #1 since what was asked seems to be evolving into something else. I may be unusual, but I don't get much out of a nearby vista when I'm asleep.

But (obviously?) when not asleep, having a few minutes in the morning or evening to soak in a view can possibly make someone's stop at a particular shelter a little bit nicer :)

emerald
12-31-2009, 14:30
It's also possible to rise early, walk to such a place, enjoy sunrise and a cup of tea, but not everyone has that much ambition.:-?:)

Zoooma
12-31-2009, 15:50
It's also possible to rise early, walk to such a place, enjoy sunrise and a cup of tea, but not everyone has that much ambition.:-?:)

Possible? Sure. But is it really less ambitious if people just wanna wake up, make coffee, chill out, pack, go?

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 16:08
Good lord. Why are you people getting up early enough to watch sunrises?

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 16:13
We tented but Little Laurel. between Jerry Cabin and Hot Springs. It also seemed like a nice shelter. Huge, stone, wide open view.

Nope no view there (stayed there in Oct 08), completely treed in. From Spring Mountain, the next shelter SOBO, you could see the lights of Greeneville, TN at night if you walked behind it.

emerald
12-31-2009, 16:19
Is it really less ambitious if people just wanna wake up, make coffee, chill out, pack and go?

I posted thinking of opportunities where views aren't in hikers' faces when they open their eyes and alluded to places hikers may wish to camp because of a view where camping is prohibited to protect other resources.

Sunrises or sunsets can sometimes function as rewards marking the beginning or completion of higher mileage days.

My idea of the best place to camp usually has little to do with views and is based more upon where I can get a good night's sleep.

Hyway
12-31-2009, 16:26
The Blue Mountain shelter in Georgia looks like you'll fall off the mountain if you roll out of the shelter in the middle of the night. I stopped their for lunch, but it looks like sunrise would be sensational from inside the shelter. Also very windy.

Graywolf
12-31-2009, 18:34
Good lord. Why are you people getting up early enough to watch sunrises?

I love trivia questions.. Lets see if I can answer this one...hhhmmmmmm..

To hike???

Or, or, or, because they went to bed before the snuset....

or,or,or....and this is a big one...Because they want to.......:banana

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 18:37
The Blue Mountain shelter in Georgia looks like you'll fall off the mountain if you roll out of the shelter in the middle of the night. I stopped their for lunch, but it looks like sunrise would be sensational from inside the shelter. Also very windy.
Stay to the left side (when looking out) the sun rises a bit to the right.

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 18:40
I love trivia questions.. Lets see if I can answer this one...hhhmmmmmm..

To hike???

Or, or, or, because they went to bed before the snuset....

or,or,or....and this is a big one...Because they want to.......:banana

That's just crazy. I thought maybe they were anxious that it might not appear at all and couldn't sleep until they saw it. I just sort of assumed they'd go back to sleep afterwards. So you're telling me people actually want to see the sun rise. I find that hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen the sun rise, but that's because I was still up.

sheepdog
12-31-2009, 18:49
shelters suck

it had to be said

mikec
12-31-2009, 19:41
Telephone Pioneers Shelter, NY has a very nice view.

Zoooma
01-01-2010, 01:27
shelters suck

Yet money is continually spent to maintain and rebuild shelters, and they are continually used by hikers.

white_russian
01-01-2010, 02:40
Yet money is continually spent to maintain and rebuild shelters, and they are continually used by hikers.
I think the majority of folks find them useful, just the minority who don't like to interject their stance at any time they can.

It is the same with any minority, when the dems were the minority the took every opportunity the could to call Bush a retard ect, and now the GOP is the minority they take every opportunity they can to call Obama a communist ect.

Crawl
01-01-2010, 02:56
I liked Tray Mt. shelter at night...valley lights were cool...and Blue Mt. shelter was nice but have a very bad mice problem

JoshStover
01-01-2010, 04:07
If I remember correctly Ice Water in the Smokies has a pretty darn good view....

Hyway
01-01-2010, 11:40
If you like sparkling lights of civilization down below in a valley Tray Mountain is glorious. Fortunately, since I dwell at sea level and never get to look down at anything, I love looking down at the lights at night.

Doctari
01-01-2010, 13:12

4:15 Am when I was there. There was a astronomy buff there, he looked in his book & said "Hey guys, sunrise there (he pointed out the front of the shelter) will be at 4:15 tomorrow!" I set my alarm (yea, I carried one back then) for 4:00, woke up, made a cup of hot tea, & leaned against the back of the shelter still in my sleeping bag. Sure enough, at 4;15 you could just see the top of the sun peak over the horizon. I watched till the sun was all the way up, put away my mug, & went back to sleep. That was the best morning of my life! I usually hate mornings.

Side note: Just before announcing about the sunrise, he pointed out where & when a satellite would pass over, sure enough there it was. Way Cool!