PDA

View Full Version : Fast and Easy Winter Section / GA

Mizirlou
12-29-2009, 17:40
I’ve been section hiking GA in anticipation of the Big One. I do a chunk, then go home until the aching stops; by the time I return to the AT for more, I’ve lost muscle memory and the cycle repeats. So I’m slow. And soon turning 60. I’ve completed everything up to Hogpen Gap with one segment undone: Springer to Hightower.

Here’s what slow means: the 10.6 miles from Woody Gap to Neel’s -- over, not around, Blood Mtn. -- took 9 hours.

How long do you think it will take me to do Springer Gap/FS42 to Hightower in January? Enough daylight? The profile map looks easy but I’ve been fooled before. Easier NOBO or SOBO? Many thanks!

max patch
12-29-2009, 17:51
Springer to Hightower is one of the easiest - if not THE easiest - section in GA.

Mizirlou
12-29-2009, 18:47
Is it reasonable to schedule it as a roundtrip day hike, 14 miles or so, Springer-Hightower-Springer? Or better to hire a shuttle and hike one-way due to shorter daylight hours?

Ron Haven
12-30-2009, 07:12
I’ve been section hiking GA in anticipation of the Big One. I do a chunk, then go home until the aching stops; by the time I return to the AT for more, I’ve lost muscle memory and the cycle repeats. So I’m slow. And soon turning 60. I’ve completed everything up to Hogpen Gap with one segment undone: Springer to Hightower.

Here’s what slow means: the 10.6 miles from Woody Gap to Neel’s -- over, not around, Blood Mtn. -- took 9 hours.

How long do you think it will take me to do Springer Gap/FS42 to Hightower in January? Enough daylight? The profile map looks easy but I’ve been fooled before. Easier NOBO or SOBO? Many thanks!to me,all of Ga is a great hike.I do have o little problem coming down off Blood Mtn on the north side with a lot of pack wt due to knee problems.

max patch
12-30-2009, 07:23
Is it reasonable to schedule it as a roundtrip day hike, 14 miles or so, Springer-Hightower-Springer? Or better to hire a shuttle and hike one-way due to shorter daylight hours?

You made a point of telling us you were slow. If so, I'd say a 16.6 mile out and back hike would be a challenge to complete in one day. Either shuttle or plan on spending an overnight.

modiyooch
12-30-2009, 08:32
Is it reasonable to schedule it as a roundtrip day hike, 14 miles or so, Springer-Hightower-Springer? Or better to hire a shuttle and hike one-way due to shorter daylight hours?I never do AT roundtrips.

Mizirlou
12-30-2009, 17:56
Thanx for the input. Too bad for me -- I left this segment so I'd have an easy hike on a quick trip, but it's been the most difficult one to arrange due to trail head locations. Dropping $$$ at Walasi Yi for gear is a joyous thing; denting my wallet for transportation to this little nugget isn't nearly as gratifying. Section hiking isn't cheap but well worth it anyway -- the GA section is fab -- maybe I'll do it a few more times :)