PDA

View Full Version : looking for suggestions s.vt winter hiking

charlieo
12-30-2009, 08:53
looking for dayhike and/or overnight suggestions for winter hiking/ c.c. sking/ snowshoeing in the southern vermont area. prefer loops or in and out on the same trail, i generally hike alone, not always by choice, most of my friends think i am crazy for going out in the winter. I went up the bromley mt. trail sunday afternoon, come down in a nice snowstorm. white blazes are hard to see in a blowing snowstorm. ha-ha
i have only been in the area a couple of years,( in cambridge, ny now. 25 years in alaska before here) and am just starting to get back into hiking after a few years.
open to suggestions-thanks

Peaks
12-30-2009, 17:43
Well, there are many options. Start with the Green Mountain Club's Day hiker's guide. Also, check out 50 hikes in Vermont.

And, if you like backcountry skiing, check out the Catamont Trail.

vthiker
12-30-2009, 19:38
Agree about the GMC Day Hiker's Guide.

I'd check out Dorset area, Glastenbury Mtn. White Rocks, Lye Brook Wilderness Area, to name a few.

S. VT is a fun area! You could also check out Mt. Anthony, but I'm not sure what the access is like.....I used to hunt up there years ago, and it has a lot of old skidder roads on it that could make nice trails ( my extended family lives down there and I used to hunt on Mt. Anthony).

Have fun!

vthiker
12-30-2009, 19:39
Agree about the GMC Day Hiker's Guide.

I'd check out Dorset area, Glastenbury Mtn. White Rocks, Lye Brook Wilderness Area, to name a few.

S. VT is a fun area! You could also check out Mt. Anthony, but I'm not sure what the access is like.....I used to hunt up there years ago, and it has a lot of old skidder roads on it that could make nice trails.
Have fun!

vthiker
12-30-2009, 19:44
sorry for the double post..:o

trying to edit 1st post and somehow it morphed into a double post, and now I can't seem to delete it.:o:o

Wolf - 23000
12-31-2009, 01:12
I've been to Cambridge, NY in the winter and I've done VT in the winter as well. VT in the winter is a lot colder than Cambridge, NY. It is no joke being out there.

Wolf

charlieo
12-31-2009, 07:24
I've been to Cambridge, NY in the winter and I've done VT in the winter as well. VT in the winter is a lot colder than Cambridge, NY. It is no joke being out there.

Wolf

i take being out in the winter seriously, i know the consequenses of not being properly outfitted or prepared. i have plenty of cold weather experience in the woods, one of my favorite seasons to be out. less people, no bugs.
thanks for the suggestions all. i welcome more.

Cosmo
12-31-2009, 09:27
For skiing, check out the Catamount Ski Trail http://www.catamounttrail.org/

Cosmo

Chenango
12-31-2009, 09:32
The snowshoe hike up Stratton Mtn from the Stratton-Arlington road is lots of fun. Plenty of parking at the trail head because of the snowmobilers. There also a hot dog truck there on the weekends during the winter. Once you start up the mountain you quickly leave that all behind. If skiing, you can head over to Stratton Pond from the same trail head. Have fun out there!