PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on Spring hike in Georgia/TN area.

hikerman2010
12-30-2009, 11:13
I'm looking for suggestions on Spring hikes in Georgia/TN. Here's what I'm looking for:
1. Looking for a good 4 or 5 day hike.
2. What month would you suggest? I'm not big on cold weather at night, so what month would you suggest?
3. Is there a good way to hike from Springer northwards and be able to get transportation or do a car drop? Any logisitcs help is appreciated.
4. I've done a good chunk of the Smokies already starting at Newfound Gap and going to Erwin TN. Not interested in doing that part again.

Thanks for the help.

Tennessee Viking
12-30-2009, 17:26
Your March to May time period will have most of the crowd on trail. So if you want solitude, then plan on staying away from TN in April and May.

North of Erwin - You can do Erwin to Dennis Cove.

South of Fontana - You can start at Standing Indian/Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana.

For Georgia, you can hike south and plan on ending at Neels gap. There is the Memorial parking area about a half mile down from Mountain Crossing. You can also take the blue blaze just inside the wilderness.

Or you can do a loop using the AT and BMT around the Springer area

Ghosthiker
12-30-2009, 19:51
You could leave your car at Amicalola, get shuttled to a trail head and hike back to the car. As for how far in 4 or 5 days, that would depend on how much you plan on/can hike in a day.

Skidsteer
12-30-2009, 20:20
I'm looking for suggestions on Spring hikes in Georgia/TN. Here's what I'm looking for:
1. Looking for a good 4 or 5 day hike.

What mileage are you comfortable with per day?

2. What month would you suggest? I'm not big on cold weather at night, so what month would you suggest?

May to October.

3. Is there a good way to hike from Springer northwards and be able to get transportation or do a car drop? Any logisitcs help is appreciated.

Mountain Crossings(30 miles from Springer)can refer you to shuttlers. There is also a list on the GATC site (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/access.html).

hikerman2010
12-30-2009, 22:16
I can comfortably do 10 miles in a day, depending on the terrain of course.

Maybe everyone else should stay off the trail during April/May since that's when I'll be out there. :)

Will probably be out there again in the Fall, so this trip is soley focused on the Spring.

What about Springer to Dick's Creek? Any thoughts?

Bulldawg
12-30-2009, 22:23
i Can Comfortably Do 10 Miles In A Day, Depending On The Terrain Of Course.

Maybe Everyone Else Should Stay Off The Trail During April/may Since That's When I'll Be Out There. :)

Will Probably Be Out There Again In The Fall, So This Trip Is Soley Focused On The Spring.

What About Springer To Dick's Creek? Any Thoughts?

6 Days.......