PDA

View Full Version : Broken Wrist Update Saddleback Region

lobstergrrrl
09-06-2004, 21:49
We started out trying to drive close to the AT at Orbeton stream using logging roads and a gps/laptop combo. Once at the locked gate, I mounted the gps on the mountain bike and started upwards towards the trail. Unfortunately the trail kept heading the wrong direction, and we turned around. The downhill descent was a blast, and for once I was faster than Moxie dog ;-> Back at the car we headed up another road that eventually crossed the AT. We were able to do some fancy driving on a 4 wheeler trail and get within 1/3 mile of the trail. The view from this area was fantastic, with all of Abraham, Lone and Poplar, and Saddleback within sight. We crossed Orbeton stream and headed towrds Poplar ridge withthe intent to hike over to Saddleback Junior. As we hiked, we heard from 3 NOBO AT hikers that there was a SOBO who had fallen in Orbeton stream and broken his wrist, trying to make it to RT4. We finally met up with him at the lean-to just after Poplar Ridge. He was looking hypothermic, a bit shocky, and his wrist was indeed obviously broken. Making a splint out of a peice of dead tree, two smartwool socks, some tape, a bandana and an ace wrap, I was able to stabilize his wrist. He ate some food and rehydrated, then we lightened Epiphanias' backpack and began the 2.5 mile journey back to the car, and back across the same stream he broke his wrist in. Moxie dog was the best trail dog you could ever ask for, he hiked right along side Epiphanias providing stability security in case he felt off balance. Moxie stayed by his side all the way to the car ;-> We finally made it into Rangeley, only to find the health clinic is open 9-5 m-f. We ended up taking Epiphanias to the hospital I work at in Bangor and signing him in there. Since then he's been properly splinted, and awaiting ortho consult tomorrow. He is struggling with the decision to end his thru hike for the season. He left GA in March and is doing a flip flop in Rutland VT. This is not how he wanted his thru hike to end :-<
I'm grateful he made the journey out and is doing much better.

Lobster Grrrl and Moxie Dog

rickb
09-07-2004, 06:47
The hiker was fortunate to have you come by. I can guess he probably srugged off repeated offers of help from the Nobos (or hope so, anyway), but your comments about him looking shocky and hypothermic might inspire me to take my AMC chapter's first aid course next month. I <hope> that were I in a similar situation, I would have insited on helping.

Rick B

uphillklimber
09-07-2004, 09:33
I have seen hikers complete their hike with a wrist cast. This needn't be the end of it for him.

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2004, 20:30
He was looking hypothermic, a bit shocky, and his wrist was indeed obviously broken. Making a splint out of a peice of dead tree, two smartwool socks, some tape, a bandana and an ace wrap, I was able to stabilize his wrist.

Lobster Grrrl, he's very lucky to have met you and Moxie Dog! That must've been quite a spill he took, how was the ford when you crossed?

TJ

lobstergrrrl
09-07-2004, 21:41
I was glad to be able to offer assistance. Interestingly, I had originally planned to hike in Mahoosuc Notch area over the weekend.

Epiphanias dropped in to say goodbye this morning. He is headed back home tomorrow and plans to finish his thru-hike next year. Because he has multiple fractures in his wrist, his cast goes from his fingers up over his elbow.

I told him about whiteblaze.net, and hopefully he will check in here when he gets home.

According to Epiphanias, he slipped on a rock the first step he took crossing the stream. His wrist was in his trekking pole loop when he fell, which may have potentiated his injury.

The stream crossing was tricky because of the high water from recent rains. If you have long legs, there are stepping stones to help you across.

lg

orangebug
09-07-2004, 23:08
According to Epiphanias, he slipped on a rock the first step he took crossing the stream. His wrist was in his trekking pole loop when he fell, which may have potentiated his injury.
Possibly, but that is a very common fracture from the attempt to break a fall. It is also pretty painful and potentially debilitating. I hope it wasn't his dominant hand - but I'd bet it was.

rusty from vermont
09-13-2004, 23:04
Good going. He might be able to finish but as you know he has some pretty rough parts to continue throiugh to get down to Rutland. If it happened in Virginia he would have a good chance but he has to face the Whites. He's fourtunate that you were nearby to splint and get him out of shock and potential hyperthermia. Blessings. rusty

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 03:27
Wow, I feel for him. Hope it heals soon and that he's not too uncomfortable throughout the rest of the hike.............

pvtmorriscsa
09-16-2004, 11:05
When I first learned how to ski, many years ago. The manufacturers of ski poles were moving away from any sort of wrist strap or loop, for precisely that reason. There was a noted link between wrist straps on ski poles and wrist injuries. I can only imagine the same can be said for hiking poles.

epiphanias
09-23-2004, 10:09
Fellow hikers:

I don't have much to add to what Lobstergrrrl said. It's still hard to know what to think about having such bad luck (the damage to my wrist) and good luck (Lobstergrrrl's arrival) all in one package. :-? Perhaps a Higher Power decided it was time for me to quit, and knowing how stubborn I can be, decided to make sure I would. I'd crossed every ford between Katahdin and Orbeton Stream without harm, and I've fallen many times along the 1900 miles of the Trail I've completed, again without significant damage.

Moxie dog was superb; if anything, the description of his Trail manners was very understated.

A few comments regarding the comments...

rickboudrie:
The hiker was fortunate to have you come by. I can guess he probably srugged off repeated offers of help from the Nobos (or hope so, anyway), but your comments about him looking shocky and hypothermic might inspire me to take my AMC chapter's first aid course next month. I <hope> that were I in a similar situation, I would have insited on helping.
There were offers of help, but there was little they could do. After falling face down in the stream, I got to my feet, verified that my left wrist was not usable, transferred the pole to my right wris, tied my bandanna around my left wrist using right hand and teeth, stuck the hand in my left jacket pocket as a makeshift sling, took 800 mg of Ibuprophen, and made my way carefully to the opposite bank of the stream. Since I was significantly closer to Rt. 4 than to any other major road, the best immediate strategy seemed to be to cotinue to the next shelter. I met Nobos along the way, and they were all ready to help. I asked that they pass on word of my condition (which they did), and solicited information about treadway conditions ahead of me (which they provided).

My intent was to get to the next shelter, warm up, dry off, do a better job of immobilizing my wrist, and decide what to do next. I knew the Saddlebacks would not be an easy climb one-handed, but I was hoping a southbounder would arrive, and I could team up with them to get over any part of the Trail between me and route 4 that I could not handle alone. About 20 minutes after I arrived and unpacked, Lobstergrrrl and Moxie arrived, making it possible to get to a medical facility without going to Rt. 4.

Orangebug:
Possibly, but that is a very common fracture from the attempt to break a fall. It is also pretty painful and potentially debilitating. I hope it wasn't his dominant hand - but I'd bet it was.

pvtmorriscsa:
When I first learned how to ski, many years ago. The manufacturers of ski poles were moving away from any sort of wrist strap or loop, for precisely that reason. There was a noted link between wrist straps on ski poles and wrist injuries. I can only imagine the same can be said for hiking poles.
I had the straps of my poles completely around my wrist, as opposed to half way around my hands as usual. I was concerned that if I dropped one, the stream would sweep it away. As I fell, I felt the tip of the left pole catch on the bottom about three feet in front of me. The strap pulled my arm back along my side, then wrenched and twisted the wrist as the weight of my body and pack pulled me forward. However, I didn't lose the pole...:rolleyes:

Fortunately, I'm right-handed.:clap

uphillklimber:
I have seen hikers complete their hike with a wrist cast. This needn't be the end of it for him.

rusty from vermont:
Good going. He might be able to finish but as you know he has some pretty rough parts to continue throiugh to get down to Rutland. If it happened in Virginia he would have a good chance but he has to face the Whites.
I considered continuing, but decided not to, based on the following criteria:

I am not young enough, strong enough, or sufficiently talented at climbing to tackle the rest of southern Maine and all of New Hampshire one-handed (my original plan to reach Rt. 4 was based on the perceived necessity of continuing);
4 - 6 weeks to heal would have me resuming in mid-October at the earliest, adding worsening weather to the challenges, and I'm not that great a climber;
30 plus days to finish would mean I'd have to do an absentee ballot in the November election, which in South Florida could mean effective disenfranchisement;
my family handled the first two hurricanes OK by themselves, but I really should be there for the rest of the season.
I apologize for not responding sooner; between Ivan and geting reoriented to civilization (unpacking, finding a job, learning to do everything 1-handed, learning to locate a rest room rather than going in the nearest foliage ;)) I've been somewhat distracted.

I deeply appreciate the concern expressed here for me! I also want to express my thanks to and admiration for lobstergrrl again for abandoning her hike to help me! I've saved the splint I wore from Poplar Ridge LT to Bangor. I intend to finish my remaining 278+ miles next year, and will provide updates on this site as my plans firm up.

Epiphanias

epiphanias
08-17-2005, 10:23
Just an update. I've gone back and completed the Trail (June 30 - August 2), this time going Northbound from Rutland to Poplar Ridge Shelter. I exited by hiking the ATV trail Lobstergrrl used to transport me out last year after the accident.

After doing this final section, I'm convinced my decision to quit last year was the right one - it is not a section to be done one-handed.

Thanks again to all for your interest and concern!

-Epiphanias

kyhipo
08-17-2005, 16:18
nice to hear your ok bro, i imagine its a hike well earned in many ways :dance ky

Sly
08-17-2005, 16:31
Just an update. I've gone back and completed the Trail (June 30 - August 2).

After doing this final section, I'm convinced my decision to quit last year was the right one - it is not a section to be done one-handed.

Congratulations!

I also took an injury time-out and finished the next year. It was great meeting a new batch of hikers! Well, except for the ones that refered to me as a section hiker! ;)

Bravefoot
02-13-2006, 17:49
Did you complete the AT with or without straps on your hiking poles? I'm tempted to cut mine off before I start at Springer in a month.