PDA

View Full Version : Any WB here in Hawaii?

Wolf - 23000
12-31-2009, 05:20
Hi All,

I know many of you are enjoying yourselfs everyday as you had a very White Christmas while some of us had to settle for taking a dip in the ocean instead on a tropic island miles from no-where in the state called Hawaii.

I was wondering if I was the only long distance hiker here or if there were others WB?

Wolf

jrwiesz
12-31-2009, 05:31
I visited a good friend on Oahu last year[10/2008]. What island are you on?
Nice to rub it in, that most of us are knee deep in the white stuff, while you're surfing whitecaps.:sun

Wolf - 23000
12-31-2009, 14:46
I'm living in Oahu also. It's a beautiful island but little chance to do any serious backpacking.

Wolf

Dogwood
12-31-2009, 15:17
I live on the island of Kauai when not out hiking or traveling.

Aside from that, realize not everyone in the world who celebrates Christmas does it in the season of winter or when it's cold or associates the Holiday Season with snow.

Hale Kalekemaka!

mweinstone
12-31-2009, 16:33
yo soldier! my best friend cammo jack owns land in haviyee.but is in south america. with cammi. his humpstress. humping. but cammo builds the v22 at boing for 20 years and you would have alot to talk about. but you know cammo i think. so im still dumb.love ya wolf. hope to see you on trail again one season or another. and thank you for your service and your bent.

gruntledpainter
12-31-2009, 16:43
Hi All,

I know many of you are enjoying yourselfs everyday as you had a very White Christmas while some of us had to settle for taking a dip in the ocean instead on a tropic island miles from no-where in the state called Hawaii.

I was wondering if I was the only long distance hiker here or if there were others WB?

Wolf

dude i Live in Texas, we have the worst of both worlds. It's warm enough in the winter, but no tropical paradise, or even decent beaches. We only have 2 seasons: unbearably hot (9 months) and cold & rainy (3 months) :D

drifters quest
01-02-2010, 14:16
Was in Hawaii, I lived on Maui for 15 years till we moved to Spokane, WA 3 years ago. I would love to visit again- my dad and maybe sister are going back in January but since i'm saving up for my hike, it will have to wait for me.

warraghiyagey
01-02-2010, 15:52
I tried long distance hiking in Hawaii but kept ending up in the ocean. . . :mad:

camojack
01-02-2010, 15:59
Hi All,

Wolf
Ummm, yeah, I just had to "settle" for visiting the Austral Summer in Peru.

I'll be back to Hawaii (as in the Big Island) next month, but will avoid even changing planes on Oahu if I can help it.

Check out the other islands; they're all better than Oahu...I was stationed there for years, so I should know. :eek:

buff_jeff
01-02-2010, 21:17
Ummm, yeah, I just had to "settle" for visiting the Austral Summer in Peru.

I'll be back to Hawaii (as in the Big Island) next month, but will avoid even changing planes on Oahu if I can help it.

Check out the other islands; they're all better than Oahu...I was stationed there for years, so I should know. :eek:

Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of Oahu. Then again, I didn't really get to explore outside of Honolulu. I took a bus around the island and outside the city it looked really nice, but I didn't get a chance to hike. Big Island was phenomenal, though.

Wolf - 23000
01-02-2010, 23:07
Yea, Oahu is nice place but some of the other islands I think I would enjoy living there more. All well. It is Hawaii. It would be nice to see other long distance hikers around here.

Wolf

schnikel
01-03-2010, 17:09
My brother lives in Maui, HI. My wife and I are going out to visit in early Feb. for two weeks. Last time we were out we backpacked Haleakala Crater, great hike!
Anyone else know of any other nice trails out there on Maui that my not be in the tourist books?
Schnikel

Tabasco
01-03-2010, 17:11
Wolf-

get thee to Kauai and hike on the kalalau trail. Staggeringly beautiful.

buff_jeff
01-03-2010, 18:13
Wolf-

Really wish I would have done that...I went to Oahu instead.

Oh well, at least I got to see Pearl Harbor.

Dogwood
01-03-2010, 18:26
Wolf23000, in 2006 after an AT thru-hike, wanted to visit Hawaii to hike some more, stay warm, enjoy sunsets, and do some of the things I had missed on previous trips. I guess I was rewarding myself for finishing the AT. When I got to the hostel on Kauai where I was staying there were 3 other 2006 AT thru-hikers also there! Seems, unkown to each of us, we all independently decided to go to the same place after our AT thrus! We had a great time!

Be careful though. Hawaii can easily grow on you! I put in several job applications, was hired by all, and decided to make Kauaii my home for part of the yr! One of the best decisions I've ever made.

So many awsome hikes in HI, but if you have the time you can start w/ two most "dos", the Kalalau Tr on Kauaii(spend at least 1 day on Kalalau Beach) and, on Maui, hiking into Haleakala Crater from the summit on the Sliding Sands Tr to Paliku Cabin and out along the Halemau'u Tr or Kaupo Gap(this can be extended by doing a great oceanside road walk or hitching to Hana).

Oahu is a beautiful island. It has much to offer. You can get pretty anything there. For first timers or newcomers to HI Oahu is a good place to begin, but if one truely wants to visit the "old" HI or get a better feel for what HI is about you really should go to the other islands. Honolulu is a major city. This will become most obvious if you do a day hike up Diamond Head. The last time I checked, about 2 yrs ago, it also has 1.2 million full time residents packed onto the island. By contrast, Maui, which some say is starting to feel crowded, is the next most populated island with 120,000 full time residents! You, come to your own conclusions. Do know that each island has a slightly different personality!

HI is an international destination with a strong but generous and friendly indigenous people. I think it needs mentioning that we would all be better off we go to HI by understanding this and by respecting the Hawaiian people and culture. Sometimes, people, especially Americans, can forget that. However, many peoples and cultures exists and it has only become part of the U.S. about 50 yrs. ago, so it's very much unlike any of the lower 48 in those respects.

jrwiesz
01-04-2010, 02:54
Great post Dogwood. I long to return soon, and check out all the islands.

For some views of Honolulu from Diamond Head Crater check out my gallery. Man I miss that warmth!

Yesterday morning, on my way home from work[7a EST] the temperature was 1 degree here in Michigan; I thought to myself, even at this time in Hawaii[2a], it's probably 70-75 degrees warmer than it is here.

Did I say, man I miss that warmth?:sun

camojack
01-08-2010, 22:28
Wolf-

Yes...I did that very thing about a year ago. :banana

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 00:03
My brother lives in Maui, HI. My wife and I are going out to visit in early Feb. for two weeks. Last time we were out we backpacked Haleakala Crater, great hike!
Anyone else know of any other nice trails out there on Maui that my not be in the tourist books?
Schnikel

There are plenty, off the hook, so many off the beaten path not in tourist book hikes, that I could mention on Maui alone, but I don't need to, even if you were able to pry some of those secrets from me, BECAUSE, there are so many awesome, off the hook, hikes already in published guidebooks that can occupy your hiking time for a couple of yrs! Also, realize much land in HI is private property and most want to keep it that way and they can be serious about doing so! Take seriously about what I said about respecting people and cultures in HI, especially the Hawaiian people!

My advice, don't focus on too many hiking guidebooks that take in hikes from all of the state of Hawaii. If you want to find great hikes on Maui get one of the detailed guidebooks that focus on Hiking Maui! Likewise, get a hiking guidebook specific to whatever island(s) you want to hike.

I will tell you, on Kauaii, IMO, an underused tourist hiking area is on the opposite end of the island(by road) from Kee Kee Beach(Kalalau TH) at Waimea Canyon and the highest(elev.) swamp in the world Alakai Swamp.

Lillianp
01-09-2010, 00:13
My family did do some day hiking while on the Big Island and Kauai-the majority of my gallery are actually pictures from the hike around part of a caldera on Kilauea, but we also did a 5 mile hike on Kauai, much to the dismay of my dear younger sister. Gorgeous area. Awesome views and a pretty sweet trail as well.

Nean
01-09-2010, 00:43
Hale Kalekemaka!

Hey brah, like try Mele?

Nean
01-09-2010, 00:55
I live on the island of Kauai when not out hiking or traveling.

Aside from that, realize not everyone in the world who celebrates Christmas does it in the season of winter or when it's cold or associates the Holiday Season with snow.

Hale Kalekemaka!

I used to stay Kapaa for a year or so and for a year up in Kokee. Loved da kine> Kauai for tree years! Was on Oahu about 4. Haven't been back in a couple but it may happen before too long.

Last month I was in Toms River. I ran into a friend from the PCT by chance, in Kapaa.

Mags
01-09-2010, 00:56
Nice to rub it in, that most of us are knee deep in the white stuff, while you're surfing whitecaps.:sun

Some of us LOVE the white stuff. Bring it on...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs063.snc3/13038_227706295020_563440020_4604447_5077924_n.jpg

Beaches sound nice..for a day. :)

Me? I live to "surf" the sweet, fresh, white powder.... ;)

Did it today. Doing it tomorrow. Doing it Sunday. I suck...

Nean
01-09-2010, 01:00
Some of us LOVE the white stuff. Bring it on...

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs063.snc3/13038_227706295020_563440020_4604447_5077924_n.jpg

Beaches sound nice..for a day. :)

Me? I live to "surf" the sweet, fresh, white powder....

Makes me want an ice cold Lefthand!:sun

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 01:56
Nean, I love hearing da talk story! Wha da ya stay Kokee? Upcountry? Makai? Mauka?

Hau'oli Makahiki hau. Mele Kalikimaka.

Kauaii noka oi.

Mags, if all your hiking buddies??? look like the one you met on that moonlight hike that you posted on the "Any Hiker Chicks" thread I don't sympathize with you at at all. Hiking buddy Hah! Besides, some of your pics of the great ridge walks I've seen you hike from the midwest are awesome. Gotta love what you do and where you live. No other way I'd want to live!

Nean
01-09-2010, 12:48
[QUOTE=Dogwood;947921]Nean, I love hearing da talk story! Wha da ya stay Kokee? Upcountry? Makai? Mauka?

Hau'oli Makahiki hau. Mele Kalikimaka.

Kauaii noka oi.

QUOTE]

My pidgon is fading Dogwood and my Hawaiian was never very good:o. I lived at an old CCC/ army base/ job corp camp behind the museum (where I worked) (I put up the Iniki and tree exibits) and lodge. I also helped to restore those old buildings that are now used for a lot of things.:)

Talk story is a favorite pastime of mine!:D

Mags
01-09-2010, 18:03
Mags, if all your hiking buddies??? l

I have some great friends out here. No doubt. Been blessed in life. Not in the religious sense, but in the "Damn..I am lucky in what I've been able to do".

Dogwood
01-09-2010, 20:45
Translation:
I love hearing da talk story! - I enjoy a conversation(talking in a chilled setting, usually involving Hawaii or Hawaiian living).

Wha da ya stay Kokee? - Where do(did) you stay in Kokee(a State PK, but also a specific name of a region where some people still live, may even be a town w/ a zip code, correctly written as Koke'e, writing and punctuating Hawaiian, which is based on 13 letters, correctly makes it easier to pronounce and understand)?

Upcountry? Up on the mountain or at higher elevation.

All these above phrases are pigeon, except for the Koke'e.

Makai - Oceanside or towards the ocean.

Mau ka - Mountainside or inland(sometimes more correctly written as mau ka).

Hau'oli Makahiki Hau - Happy New Year(Hawaiians did celebrate a New Year around the same time as western cultures)

Mele Kalikimaka - Merry Christmas(the custom of celebrating Christmas was brought to Hawaii by westerners and missionaries, they(we) also brought a lot of other things, both good and bad)

Kauai'i noka 'oi - Kauai'i is the best(at one time, the Hawaiian islands was ruled by Kings and Queens and royal families typically with each one of the largest(major) islands having their own King and Queen or royal family, much loyalty to a specific royal family developed based on whatever island one was from, so for someone to say Kauai'i noka 'oi it means one is loyal to the island of Kauai'i or its governing royalty, kind of like saying "proud to be from Kauaii, got something to say about it?" and some did have something to say about it so fierce wars broke out between islands. I've seen Kauai written as Kauai, Kauaii, and Kauai'i.

These are actually the Hawaiian language and words as best written and punctuated as I know how.

That concludes the Hawaiian lesson for today.

Nean
01-10-2010, 01:06
No town or zip for Kokee as it is a state park. I was one of a handful of people who could legally live there year round. About a dozen others did as well. Nobody really cared unless "you like beef" w/ the state boys.