PDA

View Full Version : MTV filming a Thru-Hike???

sidebackside
12-31-2009, 12:41
I've been talking with a guy who is "trying" to get MTV to film his thru-hike. Personally, I think that's a horrible idea! Just imagine this...your hiking on the trail when outta no where, there's "Johnny on the Spot" with his camera crew trackin beside him. A personal documentary, yes...I understand that. But MTV...just the thought of that makes me mad to be honest.

What are your thoughts and/or opinions?

white_russian
12-31-2009, 12:44
Sounds like a bunch of BS

Johnny Thunder
12-31-2009, 12:45
I've been talking with a guy who is "trying" to get MTV to film his thru-hike. Personally, I think that's a horrible idea! Just imagine this...your hiking on the trail when outta no where, there's "Johnny on the Spot" with his camera crew trackin beside him. A personal documentary, yes...I understand that. But MTV...just the thought of that makes me mad to be honest.

I think he should be punched in the face...but, in light of recent MTV docu-dramas, that'd probably only make it more popular.

Toolshed
12-31-2009, 12:46
They'll spend their time in towns making it look like the whiners on Jersey Shore BS.

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 12:56

Unlikely. First of all, despite what many on this site think, the AT doesn't have enough drunk morons on it to keep the MTV crowd entertained.

Second, the chances of finding a camera crew capable of lugging everything you'd need to make such a show on an entire thru-hike is unlikely. Commercial-grade equipment is heavy, prone to breaking (the number of cameras they go through on Deadliest Catch is crazy), and involves a lot of batteries. On top of that, they'd have to carry their backpacking gear.

Third, in order for MTV to buy this guy's pitch, they would have to believe that he'd actually finish. There's a reason why completion insurance exists in the movie industry, and unless this guy has a solid record of completing thru-hikes, I find it unlikely that they would go for it, based on the high rate of drop-outs on thru-hikes. Couple that with the fact that most people I know who DO have a solid record of completing hikes would have nothing to do with such a project, and I don't think it would fly.

One of the reasons that the National Geographic project didn't focus on thru-hikers is that aside from the aerial photography, they did most of their filming close to road access. The same crew had significant issues on the PCT, where roads were fewer. If National Geographic isn't interested in attempting to film a thru-hike, I can't imagine MTV would.

Finally, how would MTV sell this show to its advertizers? Does a thru-hike show have a target audience that buys Sketchers? Doubtful.

It's not going to happen.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2009, 13:03

hiking the AT just ain't all that exciting to non-hikers. golf is better to watch

DAJA
12-31-2009, 13:05
Wow judgemental bunch... Since I don't watch MTV (in fact, i'm not even sure I get it) I can't speak to it's audiance, but i'd think that any form of programming that encourages physical activity to America's fat and getting fatter youth would be a benifit...

But logistically, it would be a nightmare..

white_russian
12-31-2009, 13:12
Wow judgemental bunch... Since I don't watch MTV (in fact, i'm not even sure I get it) I can't speak to it's audiance, but i'd think that any form of programming that encourages physical activity to America's fat and getting fatter youth would be a benifit...

You calling us judgemental is actually you being judgmental of us since you have no clue about MTV. There is a reason why "The Biggest Loser" is on network television and not MTV.

Skyline
12-31-2009, 13:14
I agree with Jester. For all his reasons plus this one: CBS/Viacom or whoever owns MTV these days is undoubtedly suffering the same depressed income (because the ad market is so bad) as the rest of the broadcasting industry. They are all about doing things on the cheap these days.

Filming a five/six-month thru-hike would not be cheap. It would require a writing/editing/video/sound crew be employed and dedicated to that project much of the six months. The logistics and extra expenses, even if they would do most filming at all those road crossings, would be significantly more difficult than, say, doing a season of "Real World" in a static location.

Lastly, there are a bunch of places along the AT where they would need permits, and have to go through more red tape than for most projects, just to be there with a video/sound crew. A few places (NPS, some state parks) charge hefty fees, too.

I think this is some guy's fantasy. A good one that probably boosts his ego when he talks about it. But the likelihood of it happening are miniscule. IMHO of course.

Now, would I watch this show if somehow it did happen? Definitely.

DAJA
12-31-2009, 13:19
No offence intended white russian... Just funny to listen to the hyperbol from you folks who somehow feel your affinity to hiking somehow propel's you well and above the mtv watching crowd.. For the most part, the majority of us are appathetic at best toward the goings on of this world, and a direct result of the goings on as we know it...

mweinstone
12-31-2009, 13:23
no. all wrong. even and especially jester.

a thruhike filmed would benefit everyone.
our trail needs dollars, hikers and watchers
film equiptment need only more porters to get anything done they like.
money is a non issue when films are decided to be made or not.
the thruhike on the moon was filmed in 1969 by crap caried millions of miles
hear surgery is filmed useing cameras developed for it with millions of dollars
any tv time spent not watching educational informative stuff is sick.
all of you would love to star in your own thruhike documentry.
camping around the film crew could be alot of fun. and my main reason for wanting mtv to film my trail is:.............

they got donuts

Buzz_Lightfoot
12-31-2009, 13:40
Heaven help us all if it is true.

Foyt20
12-31-2009, 14:07
I think that this could be interesting. MTV has done a good job with some shows, like true life. It is a docu on all types of different topics. You can find some of them on youtube. I believe that a thru would probably be something of this nature.

Could definitely expose a group of people that have not been aware of this to something new.

partinj
12-31-2009, 14:07
MTV is a JOKE they have no ideal how do a good video let alone a
documentary all you get from them is someone put their *** in your face
or puting down women. they been lost over 40 % of their ads in the past
year. They could off the air and not many would miss them me incl.
:D:D:D

Red Beard
12-31-2009, 14:19
Sounds like a bunch of BS

A thorough and thoughtful analysis. My sentiments exactly.

Red Beard
12-31-2009, 14:24

Really? Sounds like it's getting to be a big (pun intended) problem in your country too. :-?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Canada
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/ResearchPublications/prb0511-e.htm

wudhipy
12-31-2009, 14:27
Amazing....using something unreal like a "reality" show to cheapen the experience. I suspect I would be the "rude" encounter along the way. Shame you can't spray for them.

double d
12-31-2009, 14:29
No offence intended white russian... Just funny to listen to the hyperbol from you folks who somehow feel your affinity to hiking somehow propel's you well and above the mtv watching crowd.. For the most part, the majority of us are appathetic at best toward the goings on of this world, and a direct result of the goings on as we know it...
DAJA, speak for yourself, because for the most part, the vast majority of AT hikers I've met are interesting and informed people, so your speaking in very broad generalities.

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 14:47
A logistical nightmare for very little interesting airtime. I can imagine: "This week's episode of JOE HIKES THE AT!! Joe walks in the woods, eats mac-n-cheese, ****s behind a tree, and sleeps in a rat infested shelter. Joe then goes thru Hot Springs, NC. And hooks up w/ Trail Tramp (drunken chic who sleeps w/ him simply to get on Mtv). And they might occasionally throw in a Jackasstic stunt like pouring deer urine in someguy's sleeping bag.

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 14:48
Of course there is always the "drama" angle where they pitch hiker A against hiker B.

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 15:12

I don't think that I used hyperbole in my post. And I also don't think that I suggested that somehow I'm "well and above" anyone at all. But it just seems that MTV has a target audience, and I'm not it. I know this not just because I don't particularly like any of their shows, but I also have no interest in the products being advertised on those shows.

So in order to capture the interest of the people who actually watch MTV on a regular basis, they'd have to turn it into something that involved contests of some sort, and manufactured drama. And here's the thing -- they already have those kinds of shows, and they're much cheaper than shooting on the AT would be.

Regardless of how good it might be to watch, or how beneficial it might be for the viewers, or whether it would be good or bad for the trail, there would really only be one or two considerations MTV would take into account: what is the risk of it having to be scrapped mid-production, how much would it cost, and how much money can be made off of it.

This is not to say that MTV is bad, or evil, or only interested in crappy programming. All it says is that MTV is a business. And I believe that making a show about a thru-hike is the kind of business MTV won't be interested in.

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 15:13
no. all wrong. even and especially jester.

Wait. Especially Jester?

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 15:15
MTV still exists?

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 15:25
MTV still exists?
Not in its original form.

Hyway
12-31-2009, 15:56
I find it hard to believe that the logistics of filming on the AT would be overwhelming. people have hiked the AT with things like Bicycles and Tubas on their back for Pete's sake. The support crew could chopper in supplies and/or use blue blazed trails to shelters. personally I don't think I would mind the hot college chicks an MTV documentary might attract to the trail.

Still, documentaries of the AT aren't making anyone stinking, filthy rich so I doubt that anyone could sell the idea to an MTV moneyman.

sidebackside
12-31-2009, 15:58
A logistical nightmare for very little interesting airtime. I can imagine: "This week's episode of JOE HIKES THE AT!! Joe walks in the woods, eats mac-n-cheese, ****s behind a tree, and sleeps in a rat infested shelter. Joe then goes thru Hot Springs, NC. And hooks up w/ Trail Tramp (drunken chic who sleeps w/ him simply to get on Mtv). And they might occasionally throw in a Jackasstic stunt like pouring deer urine in someguy's sleeping bag.

I don't think I could have put it any better myself.

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 16:07
I find it hard to believe that the logistics of filming on the AT would be overwhelming. people have hiked the AT with things like Bicycles and Tubas on their back for Pete's sake. The support crew could chopper in supplies and/or use blue blazed trails to shelters. personally I don't think I would mind the hot college chicks an MTV documentary might attract to the trail.

Still, documentaries of the AT aren't making anyone stinking, filthy rich so I doubt that anyone could sell the idea to an MTV moneyman.

Exactly.

And while the logistics might not be overwhelming, they're still expensive. That chopper needs fuel, and a crew. And let's say you can put together a camera crew experienced in this kind of filming, which wouldn't be that hard to do. How much will you have to pay them to forgo all other potential projects for 6 months? How much money will they want to walk 2,000 miles? There are thru-hikers that don't realize that other people would want to get paid, and paid a lot, for that kind of effort.

But now that you mention hot college chicks, I'm starting to come around to thinking it's a good idea.

max patch
12-31-2009, 16:11
hiking the AT just ain't all that exciting to non-hikers. golf is better to watch

Only the recent Tiger Woods segments on TMZ.

Canada Goose
12-31-2009, 17:35
Finally, how would MTV sell this show to its advertizers? Does a thru-hike show have a target audience that buys Sketchers? Doubtful.

One word. Matthewski. :D

Johnny Thunder
12-31-2009, 17:40
One word. Matthewski. :D

Unless their advertisers were makers of survival foods, rare antique stove dealers, and Black Diamond I have a hard time thinking that they'd really reach him.

Hey Matty, remember when you said Britney Spears was gonna get her career back?

toenail
12-31-2009, 17:57
You know it's just so crazy it might work. Get some real hotties, like those models on Deal or no deal, that have got nothing going on for half a year. Then get 8-9 of the most worthless, back-stabbin, cork-screwin,dirty-dealin m-f'in dudes from NEW YORK CITY. Every week they could kick the biggest loser (the most normal) off the trail. It's got potential.

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 18:09
You know it's just so crazy it might work. Get some real hotties, like those models on Deal or no deal, that have got nothing going on for half a year. Then get 8-9 of the most worthless, back-stabbin, cork-screwin,dirty-dealin m-f'in dudes from NEW YORK CITY. Every week they could kick the biggest loser (the most normal) off the trail. It's got potential.
And have Linda Perry from 4 Non Blonds put on a show.....

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080618/karaoke/4-Non-Blondes_l.jpg

toenail
12-31-2009, 18:22
Hey, how'd she get Buck Owen's guitar?

Tuckahoe
12-31-2009, 18:55
And have Linda Perry from 4 Non Blonds put on a show.....

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080618/karaoke/4-Non-Blondes_l.jpg

Eeeewwwwwww, thats a man baby!:eek:

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 19:12
Eeeewwwwwww, thats a man baby!:eek:
OMG, she's def a woman and HOT at that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCt0YQPn7g

Lone Wolf
12-31-2009, 19:17
somethin' says she's a man-hater

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 19:20
Could be, but don't ruin it for me........:cool:

Lone Wolf
12-31-2009, 19:23
Could be, but don't ruin it for me........:cool:

sorry dude. she just ain't one for the spank bank

Toolshed
12-31-2009, 19:25
Ditto. There was some sort of fall out after Perry helped Pink rediscover herself and then went off with Cristina Aguilera to help her discover herself....

Rockhound
12-31-2009, 19:27
Does MTV still play music videos?

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 19:28
Ditto. There was some sort of fall out after Perry helped Pink rediscover herself and then went off with Cristina Aguilera to help her discover herself....

Not to mention the Kelly Clarkson album she produced and co-wrote, which had an awful lot of "I hate men" lyrics in it . . .

ChinMusic
12-31-2009, 19:35
Not to mention the Kelly Clarkson album she produced and co-wrote, which had an awful lot of "I hate men" lyrics in it . . .
OK, now I officially wish I hadn't posted in this thread.

Ignorance was better.........:(

Tuckahoe
12-31-2009, 19:52
Now this is a beautiful woman
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Tuckahoe64/audreytautou_7.jpg

ed bell
12-31-2009, 20:04
If anyone wants a refreshing look at the youth of today, watch an episode of "Jersey Shore" on MTV. It's very inspiring.:cool:

JoshStover
12-31-2009, 21:40
If anyone wants a refreshing look at the youth of today, watch an episode of "Jersey Shore" on MTV. It's very inspiring.:cool:

Dont even waste your time. I watched that show with my fiance for about 30 seconds and that was all I could take...

Red River Falls
12-31-2009, 22:21
I personally don't care to see this happen, but some prominent cable channel or major network will eventually do something WRT the AT. It would not at all surprise me if it happens, but the drama will be need to be enhanced or compressed to make it commerically appealing.

jesse
01-01-2010, 00:26
I hope they do it. Would be fun to se the purist get their underwear tied in knots the way they did with "A Walk in the Woods".

DAJA
01-01-2010, 01:15
I hope they do it. Would be fun to se the purist get their underwear tied in knots the way they did with "A Walk in the Woods".

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Elitism'd!

Transient Being
01-01-2010, 11:51
I love their show Nitro Circus. But thats pretty much the only MTV show I watch. The rest is pretty much crap.

jersey joe
01-01-2010, 14:23
This idea will likely go nowhere just like that "A Walk in the Woods" movie that was talked about a couple years ago. I think we in the hiking community latch on to anything in the mainstream and make a bigger deal out if it than it is.

Mags
01-01-2010, 14:31

I have a cousin Freddy. Growing up, he wore a gold chain with a big "F" on it.

Now that he's a mature, respectable family man of 37, he has a gold chain with a cross on it. His wife wore an electric blue pant suit and with matching fingernails for their daughter's first communion party. The wife had her own set of thick gold chains worn, too.

This was not 1986..but 2006.

Who needs to watch this show? Many of my family and people I grew up with could be cast members for this show (never seen the show, but I can guess)...

Chaco Taco
01-02-2010, 23:22
http://musicselections.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/mtv-sucks.jpg

Chaco Taco
01-02-2010, 23:24
http://www.smartandangry.com/storage/unclesamhatesmtv.jpg

Jester2000
01-02-2010, 23:43
Is the fact that "other" is misspelled supposed to be ironic?

leaftye
01-03-2010, 00:41
A bunch of MTV primadonna's lugging equipment down a trail is something I don't ever see happening. Ever.

Lauriep
01-03-2010, 14:32
For anyone who's interested, here's a brief overview about filming on the A.T. from ATC's website (bottom of the page at www.appalachiantrail.org/permits):

Permits are required for commercial filming in almost all areas of the A.T.

•A separate permit is required for each jurisdiction, e.g. Shenandoah National Park, the White Mountain National Forest, Baxter State Park, etc.

•Commercial filming is generally not allowed in the 26 federally designated wilderness areas along the A.T. Note that approximately half of the A.T. in Georgia’s Chattahoochee National Forest is located in designated wilderness.

•Those contemplating filming of the entire A.T. should contact the Appalachian Trail Park Office first for a Filming Permit (http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/upload/10-932%20filming%20long.pdf) covering approximately 40% of the A.T. where the A.T. Park Office has jurisdiction. Permits require a processing fee; a daily location fee may also be required.

Laurie P.
ATC