PDA

View Full Version : Financial Contribution of the SecHiker vs. Thru's

MedicineMan
10-25-2002, 22:54
This weekend while driving back from Fontana I mused over another difference between section hikers and thru-hikers-the financial contribution each makes-or doesn't make....not that this matters in the long hike of life but it surely is a consideration of importance for the many businesses (shuttlers/motels/resturants/etc) that 'live' along the trail. This weekend I supported the gasoline industry, the hotel industry, and the shuttle industry and the resturant industry while doing yet another section. I do this over and over again as do many hundreds if not thousands of hikers. Surely some of us do it as economically as possible but next month in an enticement to get my girlfriend to do a section with me I have promised a stay in a nice resort as payment for the pains she will suffer while hiking-again contributing to many faces of our economy as a section hiker. The Thru also contributes but as I have alluded to in past posts it is usually a one time contribution over several months and often never again. I posit that the section hiker is a more engendered contributor to the hiking industry as a whole, one who will in the long run buy more equipment as he/she continually strains to get the 'lightest' pack or warmest sleeping bag per weight, this assumes again that many Thru's hang their hiking poles on the mantle post completion and this may be right or wrong-just an impression I have in that when a Thru hiker is through he is thru! An over generalization I am sure but something to consider.

EarlyRiser
10-25-2002, 23:00
well most thru hikers sectioned at one time probably right? and i figure they will again some day. so they probably suport the local economy well enough. but yes im sure there is a difference.

Jack Tarlin
10-26-2002, 10:46
Every thru-hiker was a section hiker or a week-ender once. And every thru-hiker is fated to become a week-ender or sectioner AGAIN.
Whenever I run into an arrogant thru-hiker, especially one being snooty or uppity to section hikers (and this happens more than you think), I remind them of this.

SGT Rock
10-26-2002, 11:50
Good point Jack,

As a section hiker (and future thru) I've had that snotty attitude from thru-hikers. Often it was about milage and gear, if I was tenting instead of using shelters and only doing 10 mile days I wan't a real hiker - but when I told them I was out for fun vacation not real work like thru-hiking (and do it in a joking manner) it usually changed their attitude, at least to my face :D

Heck I even had a shelter alone with a thru-hiker that had never hiked before he started his thru-hike. He had gotten all his gear in one trip to an outfitter and had been learning to use it on the trail. Grant that it was north of Peariburg, so he was doing well, but he was trying to tell me what I should use for gear. So I guess not all thru-hikers come from section hikers, but everyone is a gear expert by Pearisburg.

Anyway, good point: From section hikers we come, and to section hikers we shall return...

Jumpstart
10-26-2002, 13:16
During our thru-hike, we met many section hikers, and came to the realization that there is definetly somthing to be said for a section hiker who takes his two weeks off every year, spending umpteen days to travel to the trail and back, just to be out there. We met a few section hikers who had been doing it that way for years and years, slowing moving north. I think it's almost more admirable than completing a thru-hike, the amount of dedication it must take to give up your only time off, every single year, for however many years... their perserverance is amazing.

fredmugs
07-12-2012, 07:08
Why does getting divorced cost so much? Because it's worth it!

I take a similar view for section hiking.

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 07:30
a lot of people forget the at was never designed with thru hiking in mind.was really designed for the maximum enjoyment for the most amount of people.the more people enjoy the trail, even if its for just a day , overnight or weekend, the more people we have to preserve it for our grandchildren.
its all good.

A1ien
07-12-2012, 14:42
a thru-hiker that had never hiked before he started his thru-hike.

imo it's surprising how many people do this

CrumbSnatcher
07-12-2012, 14:52
most AT thruhikers have never hiked before hitting springer mtn.
and alot of them will never hike again

Sugarfoot
07-12-2012, 14:59
In 19 years of sectioning, I've never encountered a bad attitude from a thru-hiker, nor from a fellow section hiker. It might just be that I'm a real dirt magnet so I pass for a thru-hiker within a couple of days. I certainly pass the sniff test. When I finally thru-hike next year, I hope I don't make snarky comments to thrus, sectioners, or even day hikers. We is all god's hikers and good folks.

CrumbSnatcher
07-12-2012, 15:03
i've met alot of great people over the years-some being section hikers,thruhikers,day hikers & trail volunteers
i didn't care what you were doing! it was great sharing a few moments or 6 months with people
sharing trail time & laughs or just a quick hello on the way by

quakerland
07-12-2012, 15:33
MedicineMan,

I agree with you, I wish I could section hike the trail but at my age I either have to get out there and "git'er done" or give up the dream. I have spent the money getting the equipment over the last several years; spent time in the woods "practicing" sleeping in a mummy bag; and looked over all the quadrangles several times. Now it's time to put up or shut up ...
See some of your folks on the trail in 2013.

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 15:39
In 19 years of sectioning, I've never encountered a bad attitude from a thru-hiker, nor from a fellow section hiker. It might just be that I'm a real dirt magnet so I pass for a thru-hiker within a couple of days. I certainly pass the sniff test. When I finally thru-hike next year, I hope I don't make snarky comments to thrus, sectioners, or even day hikers. We is all god's hikers and good folks.

never had an issue with any thrus

Blissful
07-12-2012, 16:26
I think it's almost more admirable than completing a thru-hike, the amount of dedication it must take to give up your only time off, every single year, for however many years... their perserverance is amazing.

Much more admirable. Sectioners don't seek hand-outs and freebies like thru hikers. I've seen the thru hiker "give me" attitude. They all expect trail magic and trail angels simply becasue they are hiking the whole thing. I like those that don't expect it and then are blessed by it. I also like thru hikers who give back a little to the trail as they head north (I met two who wanted to help either with tearing down a fire pit or stone chairs and another willing to carry out trash). Who stop to talk to a simple ridge runner (or any maintainer for that matter! ha ha) or admire beauty instead of making miles. Who don't look to bend rules or simply ignore them. The journey means something to them, much like it means to a sectioner. I tell them that a thru hike is a selfish pursuit. But it can be made to better everyone and the trail we love if their hike doens't turn into that. Because when you hit Katahdin or Springer, no one will really care but you. But others will care if you use it to help others and the trail. And believe me, I learned that the hard way... Ridge running really opened my eyes to a lot.

I'll have to tell Lone Wolf he was right about a lot of things... (that will make his day I'm sure)

Blissful
07-12-2012, 16:29
never had an issue with any thrus

Sure Lone Wolf has a different tale to tell... :)

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 16:47
Sure Lone Wolf has a different tale to tell... :)

most of the a holes had dropped out before we ever met.and i meant as a section hiker, i never felt any less a part of any conversation with thrus i met.
im sure lone wolfcan tell plenty of stories.:cool:

RED-DOG
07-12-2012, 17:02
As a Thru-hiker point of view; i gave a consituable amount to the local economy in every single town i went to, as for the trail-angel and trail-magic if it came my way fine if it didn't that was fine too, but i didn't go out of my way to donate. i am a member of a trail mainteance crew so i am on the trail atleast two weekends out of every month, i am never finished hiking. in fact i am planning to hike the PCT in 2014. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ) Never stop hiking. :dance

MuddyWaters
07-12-2012, 22:49
In almost any endeavour, there are often participants who think they are "better" than others for some reason.

Almost without fail, the very best , are usually humble, gracious, and generous.

I personally havent had any "snobbery" type bad experiences with any hikers.