PDA

View Full Version : pack size

Roughin' It
12-31-2009, 12:48
I am looking for the right pack for my thru this spring, and as i have read what some of you said about volume of your pack, i have been kinda surprised.

For example, are packs such as the GG Vapor Trail, ULA Circuit, or Gregory z55 really big enough for a thru-hike? those types of packs are around 3600 cubic inches. I'm trying to imagine fitting all my equipment in there and i can't really see it happening. Am I wrong?

white_russian
12-31-2009, 12:50
Depends on when you start. 3600ci is fine for last week of March or later in my book, but before that I like a bigger pack for more food and insulation.

bigcranky
12-31-2009, 12:51
No, you're not wrong -- you have to fit YOUR gear in your pack. All those other people are fitting their gear in their packs. Depending on what gear one has, a 3600 cubic inch pack can be plenty large enough. But if your gear is larger, then you need a larger pack.

What else are you carrying?

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 13:07
When I first began backpacking, 60lbs in a 6500cu in pack was the norm. As I gained skill/experience and learned what I didn't need, I've gotten to the point where my 3800 GG Nimbus Ozone is only 2/3 full on warm 3 nighter. (still bring alot of bulky food). Its one the reasons that many folks preach shakedown hikes, it helps you pare down your load.

Many Walks
12-31-2009, 13:09
You may have too much (or too bulky) gear. The problem with a bigger pack is the tendency to put in more stuff. As stated 1,000's of times on this site, you might decide on your choices and take it all to an outfitter and start loading and fitting packs. Beware of outfitters who will try to sell you an expedition pack and more crap to get higher commissions. You really want to avoid the mindset that you'll be out for 5 mos. In fact a thru is really just a series of shorter hikes, generally around 5 days or so with easy resupply and the ability to change gear along the way.

For what it's worth we winter camp in Lassen NP with Osprey Exos 58 Lg packs (3700 cu in @ 2 lb 8 oz) and everything was a good fit with room to spare. There are a lot of packs in that range and you won't want to carry anything you don't need on a thru. Enjoy your hike!

BrianLe
12-31-2009, 13:09
Exactly --- it's about your personal suite of gear. If you're disinclined or just haven't spent any time trying to weed out unnecessary stuff replace some of the bulkier/heavier items with alternatives, a big pack might be necessary. Yesterday I did a "test pack", putting everything but food in my pack to get a sense for how things will fit. The mechanical act of doing that makes me think about this stuff differently, I wanted to try to force out any problems early enough to do something about them. And I was gratified that my aggregate base weight matches my "on paper" base weight.

Anyway, for me a pack with 2800 c.i. in the main pack body plus external mesh listed as having capacity of 800 c.i. does the trick for a late February start --- I guess that's a 3600 c.i. pack, depending on who's counting. But if I had tried to load in the set of gear I used when I first started backpacking? No friggin' way.

What you might do is try to find a duffel bag that you can measure the capacity of reasonably close, or borrow someone's pack of known capacity and do a test-pack with your gear. Heck, maybe a local REI will rent a pack similar to what you're thinking of, then you can also try walking a ways in it before buying something.

Roughin' It
12-31-2009, 13:20
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I haven't done any actual testing yet. I am planning on starting early march, I will be hammocking so there is the hammock, underquilt, maybe a top quilt, rainfly, jetboil stove, clothes, food, and various & sundry eqip. I have a pack right now, but i bought it a year ago and its a pretty big 5,000 ci, and when I go on multi night trips i have room to spare, but I guess the mindset of "lots of multi night trips" is a good one to have.

white_russian
12-31-2009, 13:35
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I haven't done any actual testing yet. I am planning on starting early march, I will be hammocking so there is the hammock, underquilt, maybe a top quilt, rainfly, jetboil stove, clothes, food, and various & sundry eqip. I have a pack right now, but i bought it a year ago and its a pretty big 5,000 ci, and when I go on multi night trips i have room to spare, but I guess the mindset of "lots of multi night trips" is a good one to have.
What is the make and model of the current pack. You may at least be able to start with it if you want the room for more insulation, but then swap to a smaller pack later when it warms up.

Also the mindset of "lots of multi night trips" is not necessary. When you get to Springer you need the mindset of a single multi night trip to Neel Gap, then when you get to Neel Gap reset your mind to going to Hiawassee, rinse and repeat. Heading NOBO there are plenty of opportunities to fix any problems and adjust your gear so just show up.

wudhipy
12-31-2009, 14:09
:DI'm beginning mine in early March. Knowing the weather potential that time of year I will be using My Kelty external frame for the simple reason Of heavier gear,fleece ect, and extra food should I need to ride out a snow storm at a shelter instead of risking a decent in such conditions. Around Damascus I plan to switch to my internal frame which I find better for warmer conditions. I don't know about you but I just can't seem to quit grinning.....

squeezebox
12-31-2009, 18:34
how many cu. in. to a liter?

bigcranky
12-31-2009, 18:37
about 60, so a 50 liter pack is about 3000 ci.

skinewmexico
12-31-2009, 19:00
People using smaller packs are using, as a general rule, lighter gear too. Won't find many of them carrying a big, bulky Jetboil, for example.

Rocketman
12-31-2009, 19:56
I bought a Granite Gear Vapor Trail pack before my 2008 Superior Hiking Trail hike, and simply couldn't see any wway to get all my gear in it and took my old pack instead.

I really worked at getting my weight down, and equipment list down. I weighed everything and made lists of what I used to carry and what I thought I would carry in 2008. I kept at it, buying new light things and making new light things.

In 2008 it all fit into the Vapor Trail, with lots of room left over for food and water. The base weight was about 24 lbs. I went on the hike and sent back two small boxes of "surplus" equipment in the first two weeks. Got rid of almost 4 more pounds.

Had a great hike. Didn't miss a darned thing. And I found another nearly two pounds I could eliminate with no problem.

You have to make this a serious effort, and you will have a great time with an easier and more enjoyable hike when and if you get very serious about knocking those pounds down, and then knocking those ever important ounces down.

Keep at it. Keep at it. Keep at it. It won't happen without a LOT of effort, and then you'll wonder why it took you so long to do such simple and logical things.

It seems impossible at first, but there are lots of people out there hiking with less than half the base weight that I carried last summer. And they are having a great time.

Hooch
12-31-2009, 21:55
.......I will be hammocking so there is.......maybe a top quilt.......I hope you've got a top quilt or a sleeping bag on your gear list unless being cold and miserable is something that you're planning for. An underquilt won't mean a thing if you don't have some type of top side insulation.

Raul Perez
01-03-2010, 11:34
When I first started out an 85 liter pack barely contained what I brought with me. I did a HUGE evaluation on my gear and purchased a lot of lighter equipment and sold off the large bulky equip to re-coupe some of my losses. Now I can fit my winter gear in a 65 liter pack and my summer gear all fits in a ULA Circuit.

It will take many times out to figure out what you use and what can be substituted for lighter gear to get the base weight down. All in all it is a personal choice.

I personally didnt want to carry 60+ pounds again for a 5 day summer trip. I now have it down to about 30lbs with all my gear changes.