PDA

View Full Version : After the hike is over.

Roughin' It
12-31-2009, 13:06
Might be a dumb question... but once you were done with your thru-hike, how did you get back home? I live in VA and am going NOBO, and i dont have anybody i know that lives close to Maine that could pick me up. I mean is a hiker's backpack with all the gear and stuff really airport friendly or even possible?

Lone Wolf
12-31-2009, 13:12
i took a bus from medway to bangor to boston then providence, r.i.

Yahtzee
12-31-2009, 13:17
or medway to bangor, flight from Bangor to VA.

emerald
12-31-2009, 13:25
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm)

BrianLe
12-31-2009, 13:28
My tentative thought/plan is to find a post office or fedex or UPS store, get a box and mail/ship home most of my stuff, as indeed, I'd rather not risk what the airlines might do to my light pack. I could box it for the flight, but carrying around the stuff in a box when I don't have a car doesn't sound like a lot of fun!

Many Walks
12-31-2009, 13:34
If you have the time and money you might rent a car one way (probably in Bangor) and follow the roads as close to the trail as possible stopping at the trail towns along the way. That could be a fun way to rest and unwind after the hike that would be on your own schedule. Might split the cost with other hikers in a similar situation who are up for a drive back down South. You'll have your gear so car camping along the way saves money. A trip like that could be another fun adventure.

Spirit Walker
12-31-2009, 13:43
Don't worry about it too much right now. It is possible that you will be hiking with somebody who is being picked up and who can take you to the nearest bus station. Or you may end up hitching to the nearest large town together. Check online to find what forms of transportation will get you close to home (plane, train or bus) and then don't worry about it.

flemdawg1
12-31-2009, 14:51
There's cheap duffles to be found (Walmart, thrift stores, army surplus). Throw your pack in there, sans stove fuel, a check it as ordinary luggage for a flight home.

Dogwood
12-31-2009, 15:22
THE HIKE IS NEVER OVER. We just hike until we die or take a brief respite until we continue on to another trailhead!

Jester2000
12-31-2009, 15:30
Just worry about getting on the trail. Assuming you make it to Maine, you can worry about it then.

sbhikes
12-31-2009, 20:22
I can't answer the question about how to get home from Maine, but I have flown with a backpack as my luggage and it works just fine. Just tuck in the straps so nothing catches on anything else.

BrianLe
12-31-2009, 21:34
"... I have flown with a backpack as my luggage and it works just fine. Just tuck in the straps so nothing catches on anything else."

Perhaps this varies according to the type and toughness of the pack in question, and/or the luck of the draw on your particular flights. I cringe when I'm ever forced to let anyone else lift my pack, as there seems to be a tendancy to jerk-lift it with one shoulder strap --- a no-no. Given what happens to sometimes pretty beefy luggage going through the airline luggage shuffle, I would never consider putting my somewhat expensive and relatively delicate 70 and in some places 30 denier nylon pack through that, never mind what happens to the collection of some expensive gear inside should it get ripped open.

Diane, I'm not saying that you're "wrong" here, perhaps I'm just more paranoid than you. But remember, even us paranoids have ... wait, is that someone creeping up behind me? Gotta go! :-)

white_russian
12-31-2009, 22:34
Might be a dumb question... but once you were done with your thru-hike, how did you get back home? I live in VA and am going NOBO, and i dont have anybody i know that lives close to Maine that could pick me up. I mean is a hiker's backpack with all the gear and stuff really airport friendly or even possible?
Amtrak will get you to Lynchburg. Probably a bit cheaper than a last minute one way flight.

Blissful
12-31-2009, 23:21
I've seen hikers use the train

JoshStover
12-31-2009, 23:39
Turn around and walk back...

CrumbSnatcher
12-31-2009, 23:40
hitched back to nebraska my first time(not recommended)
next couple times i left a car down south and after big k, i would hitch usually near the trail for 2-3 days is all it took. if i was near trailtowns nearing nightfall (hostel or motel) sometimes near a trailhead hike in a little &camp. never took more than
2 &1/2 days. katahdin to erwin/asheville.
VA. was always an easy one, 1 interstate all the way.

sbhikes
01-01-2010, 11:38
Well, I did have a frameless pack, so I suppose that makes a big difference. I flew from Los Angeles to either New York or Miami, I can't remember which. Maybe both.

Perhaps this varies according to the type and toughness of the pack in question, and/or the luck of the draw on your particular flights. I cringe when I'm ever forced to let anyone else lift my pack, as there seems to be a tendancy to jerk-lift it with one shoulder strap --- a no-no. Given what happens to sometimes pretty beefy luggage going through the airline luggage shuffle, I would never consider putting my somewhat expensive and relatively delicate 70 and in some places 30 denier nylon pack through that, never mind what happens to the collection of some expensive gear inside should it get ripped open.

Diane, I'm not saying that you're "wrong" here, perhaps I'm just more paranoid than you. But remember, even us paranoids have ... wait, is that someone creeping up behind me? Gotta go! :-)

superman
01-01-2010, 12:45
It's possible that you might make some friends along the way who will give you a ride. Mr. Zip and Mr. Zap gave TUK, Rainbow and I a ride in their little car. They strapped our packs to the trunk lid.

Chatzi
01-01-2010, 19:04
I also don't know how I'm going to get home... but I figure by the time I get to Maine it'll work itself out.
I have a flight down to GA the end of March. I'm concerned about getting my pack down there. I think the best advise so far was to throw it in a big duffle and check it... although I have a stop over in Philly and I'm terrified my luggage will get lost! Not sure what I'll end up doing.

DapperD
01-01-2010, 20:59
I also don't know how I'm going to get home... but I figure by the time I get to Maine it'll work itself out.
I have a flight down to GA the end of March. I'm concerned about getting my pack down there. I think the best advise so far was to throw it in a big duffle and check it... although I have a stop over in Philly and I'm terrified my luggage will get lost! Not sure what I'll end up doing.This is definately an area for concern. After what one goes thru in choosing and purchasing all they need, and the cost, then to have it disappear. Can you imagine?:mad:

Doooglas
01-01-2010, 22:11
Turn around and hike back home /

superman
01-01-2010, 22:20
This is definately an area for concern. After what one goes thru in choosing and purchasing all they need, and the cost, then to have it disappear. Can you imagine?:mad:

I don't travel with my gear. I send it UPS. It gives me one less thing to worry about as I travel.

RichardD
01-01-2010, 22:33
A completely different idea but one I have been daydreaming about.
I rather like the idea of booking passage on Queen Mary 2 to England at the end of my hike and visiting relatives, friends etc and particiating in some pub to pub hiking.
I think the decadence of five or so days on a superliner after 6 months of backpacking would be a fine re introduction to every day life.
I am serously considering retiring at the end of this school year which would make my hike a 2011 event. The QM2 idea could become real.

10-K
01-07-2010, 20:11
If you have the time and money you might rent a car one way (probably in Bangor) and follow the roads as close to the trail as possible stopping at the trail towns along the way. That could be a fun way to rest and unwind after the hike that would be on your own schedule. Might split the cost with other hikers in a similar situation who are up for a drive back down South. You'll have your gear so car camping along the way saves money. A trip like that could be another fun adventure.

I have heard, but have never checked myself, that it is cheaper to rent a little u-haul truck than a rental car.

I do know that it can be pretty tough getting a one-way car rental.

Jester2000
01-07-2010, 21:55
I have a flight down to GA the end of March. I'm concerned about getting my pack down there. I think the best advise so far was to throw it in a big duffle and check it... although I have a stop over in Philly and I'm terrified my luggage will get lost! Not sure what I'll end up doing.

Your pack won't get lost. I know everyone in Philly. They're going to steal it.

As for transporting your gear after the hike is over, don't. Throw it all out immediately. It all smells like you've been carrying a load of dead raccoons in there for the past six months.